Alien race Bounty Hunter...why would they be Imperial only?

thekidpow

I have just started my Rattataki Bounty Hunter character (lvl 15) and the class quest is great fun. The only thing that bothers me is that the world quests/side quests in the game are very much oriented to serving the Empire's purpose on that particular planet. That much I know from leveling my Agent to 50. But the Empire flat out hates alien races and the NPCs make no bones about it. Even Mako has made some comments to my character about how gross the Empire is and how prejudiced they are. So what is my character's compulsion to do these side quests? I realize that I don't HAVE to do these. I can PVP and do space, both of which I plan to do quite a bit of, but it just seems like a bit of short sightedness on BW's part to restrict the BH to the Imperial side when they aren't really Imperial affiliated. If anything, I would think my BH would try to take out some of the racist goons in the Empire. I certainly didn't spare Captain Medle any mercy...

Anyone else thought about this or am I just being a bit too nitpicky?

Yeah I'm not a fan of the way the designed classes to be faction specific, especially the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler. It was easier to assign them a faction for the story aspects I think. They made BH Empire and Smuggler Republic because Boba Fett worked with the Empire and Han Solo worked with the Rebels in the original movies.

They would need their own quests independent of their class story as they're overall neutral, you can see it would require 10x the work pre-launch to make that happen so its clear why they sandwiched them in,

but you do have a point, obviously if you just killed an imeperial officer for being rude you would be outlawed yourself, so i guess your rattataki must grin & take it as they're the side which offers you the most profits.. :p

I am NOT the kind of person who pines for SWG (despite having been an avid player until NGE), but this is one area that I think SWTOR could and should borrow from. Add bounty boards to planets like the SWG random mission generators. Only available to BH, generates a camp or something with the target somewhere on the planet. You have 20-25 minutes to get there and kill the target or it moves somewhere else on the planet. Good for creds and XP and doesn't break the narrative.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the way the designed classes to be faction specific, especially the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler. It was easier to assign them a faction for the story aspects I think. They made BH Empire and Smuggler Republic because Boba Fett worked with the Empire and Han Solo worked with the Rebels in the original movies.

6 of the 8 classes make perfect sense to be faction specific. BH and Smuggler def don't.

...but it just seems like a bit of short sightedness on BW's part to restrict the BH to the Imperial side when they aren't really Imperial affiliated.

My first 50 was a BH. Play the story through, it'll make sense. But in short, Bounty Hunters are hired to get a job done, period. The Republic likes to pretend they're the good guys (which is a lie) and doesn't want to be seen in the company of people who do what needs to be done to finish a job. That's one reason the storyline for Smugglers is like it is... they do support Smuggling, but on the face of it they say they don't. Typical political crap.

the main reason is simple... we all associate Han Solo with Republic and Boba Fett with Imperial...

that's it...

but story wise, you're right... I've met a smuggler (during my Agent Story) working for the Empire... and A LOT of Bounty Hunters working for neither faction but other 3rd party "gangs" or "organizations"

the one thing I feel off, is how the opposite of Agent is Smuggler, while the Trooper's opposite is Bounty Hunter... sure one is light and agile but squishy, and the other heavy and durable but slow... but in the story context, both Agent and Trooper are military, (and have an AC that uses blaster rifles) whereas the Smugglers and BH are more "freelance" (and both use pistols...)

I don't think the Republic would allow BHs in their ranks. I could imagine some class that would be similar to a US Marshal. But we already have Jedi that kind of fill the role. A republic agent would be logical though. And why no imperial trooper?

Your dilemma is very spot on. I played my Ratattaki BH the same way, and it's very doable. Essentially, for a large part of the story you play the hired thug who doesn't care who the client is so long as they have the credits. You often have the option to blow off Darths who are really racially biased.

And at the end... I'll try to phrase this in a way that won't give the exact story away:

You will have the option to betray the Empire/your hiring Darth in favor of a covert republic official to bring chapter 3 to a close. I REALLY hope this has some significant impact on any future story content they may add. Makes any non-human BH actually make sense.

Also I have no idea why non-human/sith pureblood empire fight Malgus in FE. He's basically an emperor who wants to incorporate aliens more into the ranks. I'm hoping that with the new Malgus trainer holo and his previous 'mascot' status for the empire is hinting that BW intends on bringing him back in some manner.

Edited by Pepperawr

The Great Hunt is hosted by the Mandalorians. Mandalore allied himself with the Empire (although there are Mandalorians out there who do not recognize that allegiance). Thus, as a Bounty Hunter looking to join the Great Hunt, you unwittingly become embroiled in the affairs of the Empire. How far you want to take that entanglement is up to you. Edited by CelCawdro

The Great Hunt is hosted by the Mandalorians. Mandalore allied himself with the Empire (although there are Mandalorians out there who do not recognize that allegiance). Thus, as a Bounty Hunter looking to join the Great Hunt, you unwittingly become embroiled in the affairs of the Empire. How far you want to take that entanglement is up to you.

Good point. I still think that if you are playing a BH with self-respect and you come across a Sith who wants to treat you like some cattle or whatnot I'd probably tell Mandalore where to stick his blaster too.

Edited by Pepperawr

As it has pretty much been said, there are only 8 stories in this game, and all of them are faction affiliated because they still want to make the game feel as though there is a war with two sides. That means both sides are equal (same classes, mechanically) and all classes are equal (single faction story). Just because there are only 8 stories that the player can choose that doesn't mean the entire TOR universe is bound by those stories, just us.

Good point. I still think that if you are playing a BH with self-respect and you come across a Sith who wants to treat you like some cattle or whatnot I'd probably tell Mandalore where to stick his blaster too.

You come across at least one Sith like this during your story, and there are things you can do. I won't tell you what I did to avoid ruining the fun for you, though.

You come across at least one Sith like this during your story, and there are things you can do. I won't tell you what I did to avoid ruining the fun for you, though.

I think you're confusing me with the OP. I've done it all, I was just responding to the poster who said since Mandalore is allied with Empire that implies your BH has no voice in the matter.

I think you're confusing me with the OP. I've done it all, I was just responding to the poster who said since Mandalore is allied with Empire that implies your BH has no voice in the matter.

I'm not saying you can't be a jerk to the Sith, or the Empire in general. But you're still going to be in their employ. You can be all buddy-buddy, or you can be a necessary evil for each other - neither side happy with the circumstance. But just because you're not on good terms with the Empire doesn't mean you're allied with the Republic, or even a neutral party.

You are involved with the conflict. Fate has forced your allegiance. You can be happy with it, or not, or just glad to be getting creds and contracts. The game allows for these attitudes.

Just as Revan cannot become a moisture farmer, as Shepard cannot open his own shop on the Citadel, as the Warden cannot elope to Orlais with Leliana, your character cannot deviate from their path. This is a narrative-driven game. You decide how that narrative plays out, but you cannot derail it.

Edited by CelCawdro