Didn't like the prequels? What makes you think you'll like the sequels?

Rykko

Hated all the CG in the prequels? Think there'll be less of it?

Lucasfilm is/was trying to build an entirely bluesecreen soundstage. People don't fly to Tunisia any more if they can build a virtual set from photos.

Hated Jar-Jar?

You really think Disney aren't going to want to see another character aimed at selling toys to kids?

Think they were kiddie films and Star Wars should be for mature audiences?

Again, Disney buyout. Their business is to sell their brands to young children and get them buying merchandise the rest of their lives and passing those habits on to their children.

Boba Fett is not going to be snorting spice off any naked Twi'leks outside of rule #34.

Ok so maybe there'll be a different director and producer and the main 3 will probably be back but not as central characters.

The best guess you could make right now about how it will turn out is to compare it with Indy 4 which, just like Ep 7, George wrote but other people directed/produced etc.

Honest question, I'm curious to know if it's been 30 years or more since a Star Wars film was released that you liked, why is that going to change all of a sudden in 2015?

To CG: Avatar did it WELL

To Disney being all about kids: Pirates of the Caribbean didn't stoop to that demographic

Or Tron.

Honestly, I see only good coming from this Disney.

As much as you guys hate to admit it, nothing in the world compares to seeing Star Wars on the big screen. No matter which movie it is.

Regarding the CG :

1) It looked bad then but it looks more better now. If we get a new CG SW, it will not be as bad as the prequel looked.

2) It all comes down to the director. Take Guillermo del Toro for exemple. That guy uses pratical effects, and real locations as much as possible. Only using CGI if it's the best choice. Untill we know which director they'll choose, we can't tell if it will be full CG or not.

As for the Disney factor :

Would you be more relieved if it was handed to Fox? Surely they did a very good job with Dragon ball.

Starwars may not be a "kids" movie, but it IS a "family" movie. The Disney Channel and Pirates of the Carabians aim two different publics. They may mess things up but maybe they won't.

That bein said, Disney did bought Marvel. Saw the new Iron Man 3 trailer? Saw any Jar Jar element in there?? No.. Didn't think so...

Point is... Yes it can suck, but it CAN be good (maybe not as grand as the IV, V VI, but still good).

Let's wait for the first teaser, cast annoucement, and director ... Then we can talk ...

The problem with prequels was that there was no surprises for people. You knew who the bad was going to be, who would die and what would happen. None of stuff like finding out brother and sister were kissing, that the little green guy was Yoda the Jedi master, that the bad guy was the good guys father and so on.

With the sequels you will again be able to be surprised and there they have a much better chance of being enjoyed more than the prequels

Hated all the CG in the prequels? Think there'll be less of it?

There was a stark difference between the magic and grittiness of the original trilogy compared to the prequels. It was jarring. I think at this day and age, most people expect CG as the new standard.

You really think Disney aren't going to want to see another character aimed at selling toys to kids?

Pirates, The Avengers, etc. Disney is perfectly capable of creating movies that kids can enjoy without making everything like Toy Story.

Again, Disney buyout. Their business is to sell their brands to young children and get them buying merchandise the rest of their lives and passing those habits on to their children.

It's Star Wars, the most successful franchise of all time. If George Lucas couldn't manage to screw it up no matter how hard he tried, I'm sure Disney will do just fine.

Honest question, I'm curious to know if it's been 30 years or more since a Star Wars film was released that you liked, why is that going to change all of a sudden in 2015?

With a few exceptions, I liked the prequels overall.

Sure, it might be end up terrible, but honestly I doubt it will be as bad as the prequels were. Here my reasons: First, whoever becomes the new director for Star Wars knows how the fans reacted to the prequels and so he (or she) sure want to try something different. Then it is not George Lucas, so it will be someone who can be reasoned with, because Lucas was too attached to his own ideas and could not stand people who told him that some of his ideas aren't that great. And then there is Disney, I think they did a great job with the Marvel movies, and if they will treat Star Wars similar, everything can turn out well. So, I will wait and watch what happens instead of thinking that it has no chance of being any good.

Didn't like the prequels? What makes you think you'll like the sequels?

George Lucas isn't writing or directing them.

THAT's what makes me think I'll like the sequels!

:D

This. Also, want to see what Disney is capable of? Go take a look at the animated series Tron Uprising. Great animation, great story, great voice acting. If you think Disney won't put as much if not more thought/effort into the Star Wars sequels then you don't know Disney.

The problem with prequels was that there was no surprises for people. You knew who the bad was going to be, who would die and what would happen. None of stuff like finding out brother and sister were kissing, that the little green guy was Yoda the Jedi master, that the bad guy was the good guys father and so on.

With the sequels you will again be able to be surprised and there they have a much better chance of being enjoyed more than the prequels

That was a "minor" issue. We could have had good movies even when knowing who the bad guy was.

No the main problems were :

Episode one :

- Jar Jar (You might as well put a CGI pink Goofy). I understand that George tried to appeal to younger audiences but that was overkill. It broke the immersion completly.

- The kid playing Anakin, one of the worst kid actors i have seen to date.

- Lots of political non-sense, that didn't made sense and made the movie boring.

- Abuse of green screen, made everything look fake.

- midichloriens : The force used to be a supernatural element in the movie. Now it's just a virus or something..

Episode II :

- Anakin : Again... Terrible, terrible actor... And bad character to begin with. Hard to believe that Darth Vader, who is suppose to be calm in all circunstances used to be a whining sissy.

- Relationship between Obi and Anakin : In Episode IV, Obi says they used to be good friends... Never felt that in the movie... IF anything , they were an annoyance to each other

- Love relationship between Padme and Anakin : Soap opera dialogue, has no hearth, it's just hard to believe these two felt in love.

- The Jedi council and the senate : It becomes obvious at this point that Anakin is a dangerous Jedi. Too many times did he show obvious Signs that could lead him to the Dark side... So what does the Council do... They send him to be alone with Padme... Very logical.... He is not suppose to fall in love and yet they stage everything for their relationship to work. Doesn't make sense.

- Doku : Boring... Useless vilain... As nothing interesting to it. Unlike Darth Maul, the only good thing about Episode I who sadly was killed, while he should have been the "Vador" of the prequels.

- The clones : So a clone army was made, we don't know by who or why... And everyone seems to be fine with it... WHAT THE F****!

Episode III :

- Honestly Episode III wasn't too bad. Aside from the fact that Anakins fall to the dark side was so obvious (His appearance screamed for it) and Yoda didn't notice a thing. Gravious was again a useless, nonsenses vilain. But overall, it wasn't that bad... Other than the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! at the end.

Overall the 3 movies suffered from the bad CGI (it was bad even at it's time) , poor performences, too many vilains (Doku, Palpatine, Gravious, Maul), unlikebable characters.

To wrap it up..; Episode I and II were probably the worst thing that a SW movie could be. With Episode III being barely ok.

I don't care if Disney takes it back... The only thing i know is that Lucas will not be making the new movies... And that is all good news to me... And what is even better.... We might.... We just might, get the ORIGINAL version of IV V and VI on DVD.

Edited by sarazoul

That was a "minor" issue. We could have had good movies even when knowing who the bad guy was.

Episode one :

- Jar Jar (You might as well put a CGI pink Goofy). I understand that George tried to appeal to younger audiences but that was overkill. It broke the immersion completly.

- Lots of political non-sense, that didn't made sense and made the movie boring.

- midichloriens : The force used to be a supernatural element in the movie. Now it's just a virus or something..

Episode II :

- Anakin : Again... Terrible, terrible actor... And bad character to begin with. Hard to believe that Darth Vader, who is suppose to be calm in all circunstances used to be a whining sissy.

- Relationship between Obi and Anakin : In Episode IV, Obi says they used to be good friends... Never felt that in the movie... IF anything , they were an annoyance to each other

- Love relationship between Padme and Anakin : Soap opera dialogue, has no hearth, it's just hard to believe these two felt in love.

- The Jedi council and the senate : It becomes obvious at this point that Anakin is a dangerous Jedi. Too many times did he show obvious Signs that could lead him to the Dark side... So what does the Council do... They send him to be alone with Padme... Very logical.... He is not suppose to fall in love and yet they stage everything for their relationship to work. Doesn't make sense.

- Doku : Boring... Useless vilain... As nothing interesting to it. Unlike Darth Maul, the only good thing about Episode I who sadly was killed, while he should have been the "Vador" of the prequels.

- The clones : So a clone army was made, we don't know by who or why... And everyone seems to be fine with it... WHAT THE F****!

Episode III :

- Honestly Episode III wasn't too bad. Aside from the fact that Anakins fall to the dark side was so obvious (His appearance screamed for it) and Yoda didn't notice a thing. Gravious was again a useless, nonsenses vilain. But overall, it wasn't that bad... Other than the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! at the end.

Overall the 3 movies suffered from the bad CGI (it was bad even at it's time) , poor performences, too many vilains (Doku, Palpatine, Gravious, Maul), unlikebable characters.

To wrap it up..; Episode I and II were probably the worst thing that a SW movie could be. With Episode III being barely ok.

I don't care if Disney takes it back... The only thing i know is that Lucas will not be making the new movies... And that is all good news to me... And what is even better.... We might.... We just might, get the ORIGINAL version of IV V and VI on DVD.

Someone didn't watch the movies good enough... :rolleyes:

Episode one :

Episode II :

Episode III :

Your statements here prove my point very well. You knew who the kid was and therefore had exceptions of what he should be. You knew the whole story and it did not play out like it should of in your head.

I find it odd how much people expected out of the prequels. The OG ones had little models flying around with a black back drops, puppets and light saber duels with Vadar who could barely move in his costume.

What do you mean? :rak_02:

Speaking about the background of the certain characters. I agree with most of his points, but not when he talks about characters like Dooku and Grievous.

Many people don't pay enough attention to the story of the movies imo.

I don't get why people always say such a stupid thing. Midi-chlorians have changed nothing on the force! The Force is still the same, all the midi-chlorians do is tell us why certain people have access to powers others do not... and that it is something that is tied to certain families is already established in the original trilogy. So, basically all it did was give us a name for something we all knew has to be there, other wise Obi-Wan and Yoda just could have trained anyone they would have liked, but they needed someone who has this connection to the Force. And it is just that - the link, not the Force itself.

Episode one :

Episode II :

Episode III :

This forum needs to allow images; click here.

I mostly agree with the other points you've made, with the exception of Dooku being a terrible villain and your point about the clones.

To be honest though, I did enjoy the PT. That, however, is likely due to the fact that I first saw the movies in their numbered order. Not to mention the choreography of the lightsaber duels was better.

Edited by Emperor_Kakashi