Issues with Lightsaber Colors

Jemfisto

I honestly don't have an issue with the lightsaber colors, or their width/length whatnot. They seem pretty natural to me. I prefer the green color to the blue to be honest, it just seems like a livelier color, the ultra thin blue just looks very odd to me, I would actually prefer it if it had some sort of width to it. As to the complaints about how the Green saber has a yellowish core, I looked up a few pictures of Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ and it actually has a yellowish look to it's core in some pictures, like in the one following.

http://www9.pcmag.com/media/images/270336-7-lightsaber-lumination-gets-dull.jpg

I can only guess that the above picture is before Lucas played around with the digital stuff, but let's face it, it was a little needed since the lightsabers getting locked together like that looks a little bad.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. So many useless changes made...and for what? Did they think none of us would notice the difference? Pretty bad when SWG could get it right...a game older than dirt, yet this game *had* it right at one point then messed it all up for who knows why.

Annoying and frustrating indeed.

Agreed. Totally lame.

I absolutely _hate_ that some sabers are 'thick' and others are 'thin'. In all honesty I dont think id mine too much if they were all the same (I prefer 'thin' though), the main thing that bothers me is that they're not all unified. Having Blue + Purple together with dual sabers looks great because they're the same thicknes. Blue + Yellow looks terrible.

From memory the only thin ones are: Blue, Purple, Red.

Also that green saber from BETA:

http://images.wikia.com/swtor/images/7/75/Ss03_full.jpg

Looks 10x better than the green ingame atm wow (I _hate_ the bit of yellow in the green sabers atm too).

Either make them all thin, or all thick (hopefully thin).

Edited by drosalion

I love the wider effect on the green, yellow and cyan blades but I can see why people would want them to match the rest of the colours, it doesn't really make sense for them to be different for no reason.

Maybe they could add crystals of various colours with both effects, that way the player can chose whichever they prefer.

(EDIT* guy above just beat me to the punch with that one :D )

Lots of players either like, or have learnt to like these wider effects and would just whine if they were changed now. The better option is to provide both and let people chose.

Edited by JohraTon

Wouldn't it be better if they not only added in the old yellow and green again as separate crystals, but separated the "wide/thin" beams into different types as well, e.g. regular crystals and "wide" crystals?

Good idea. They could just name the thin green one "dark green" or something because instead of the yellow core it will have just a white core. It looks totally odd to dual wield blue and green in game at this point because of the different thickness.

It has to do with how the light on your monitors appears to your eyes. And different monitors have different results. It could be that these colors are all the same (in the coding, ie no change in width, but they *appear* different to your eyes because of the colors used. It's just that the yellow shows up more vividly on a monitor than green. Warmer colors tend to stand out more than cool colors do and they have a tendency to "pop."

Then again, I may be wrong.

I understand what you wanted to say, but do this little experiment :

1. Take this pic, it's a screenshot of my Guardian using a green lightsaber with a good zoom on the blade. (In order to be sure that the yellow don't come from color compression between the white part and the green part and that there is really a layer that looks yellow)

2. Open it in Paint or similar software

3. Take the color in yellow part with the tool that look like a pump. More you take it in the middle of the layer, better it will be to avoid color compression from the white and the green parts.

4. Open the custom color, in "colors" tab, it will show a window with RGB code and other caracteristics like brightness, saturation... The color indicated is your current color, so the one you took from the pic and look at its RGB code.

When i tried myself, I got R:255 G:255 B:15. Perfect Yellow is R:255 G:255 B:0, so if you have similar results it will mean that it's not it looks like yellow because of your monitor, but because yellow is displayed on your monitor.

Edited by Altheran

I love the wider effect on the green, yellow and cyan blades but I can see why people would want them to match the rest of the colours, it doesn't really make sense for them to be different for no reason.

Maybe they could add crystals of various colours with both effects, that way the player can chose whichever they prefer.

(EDIT* guy above just beat me to the punch with that one :D )

Lots of players either like, or have learnt to like these wider effects and would just whine if they were changed now. The better option is to provide both and let people chose.

I could definitely get behind that. I'd also personally sort of like to see solid-color sabers without separate cores. Just whacking people with a solid red beam would be cool IMO.

Completly agree and support this thread. I think the orange saber could still use some work, its been tweaked before but I think it still looks to yellow, I think its because of the yellowish white core.

Yes, I've discovered after making the thread that every lightsaber is multi layered with 2 colors ecxept for red and blue. Even the purple which looks pretty nice has a magenta pickish core.

i also heavily support this. i play a lot of characters with green and yellow lightsabers and would really appreciate it if bioware fixed the size and coloration of both.

As they already have the models in game, It should be a quick fix!

I have made this same complaint and suggestion myself. Nice to see others feel the same, my thread was ignored so I didn't think anyone cared.

Would be nice if they would let us pick our own lightsaber sound effects as well. Hate how some of these lightsabers sound different than what I grew up with. Even swinging them sounds different saber to saber.

Oh goodness ^This. I was so reluctant to switch to my first moddable lightsaber because it's igniting sound was TERRIBLE compared to the sound of the one I had before. PLEASE allow us to choose our lightsabers igniting and swinging sounds. It'd be a little thing that makes the game a lot better.

Also, this may be a little of topic, but mabey they could give us the ability to choose our lightsaber's hilt color? I don't mean anything crazy, just the ability to choose from 3 basic colors: white, metalic grey and black. For all saber hilts. Mabey even have vendors sell alternate colors for the same saber? When I roll an Imperial character there is no reason my lightsaber's hilt should be white.

Ever. :csw_redsaber::mad:

Oh goodness ^This. I was so reluctant to switch to my first moddable lightsaber because it's igniting sound was TERRIBLE compared to the sound of the one I had before. PLEASE allow us to choose our lightsabers igniting and swinging sounds. It'd be a little thing that makes the game a lot better.

Also, this may be a little of topic, but mabey they could give us the ability to choose our lightsaber's hilt color? I don't mean anything crazy, just the ability to choose from 3 basic colors: white, metalic grey and black. For all saber hilts. Mabey even have vendors sell alternate colors for the same saber? When I roll an Imperial character there is no reason my lightsaber's hilt should be white.

Yes, many sounds are quite unconventional. More lightsaber customization for a star wars RPG is a no brainer.

Yes, many sounds are quite unconventional. More lightsaber customization for a star wars RPG is a no brainer.

Agreed. If Bioware wanted to have their own sounds for Lightsabers that are WAY out of line from the movies and what we are accustomed to, then they should have given us complete control of Lightsaber and Blaster Customization all the way from Blade Color, Hilt Color, Blade Activation Sound Effects, Blade Hum Sound Effects and how the weapon sounds while swinging through the air.

Indeed. From a lore standpoint of view and also from a fun factor perspective, it makes all too much sense to allow FULL customization of weapons.

In Star Wars Lore, Jedi constructed their very own Lightsabers from scratch. I think at level 50, you should be given a quest to create your own weapons, Lightsabers and Blasters. The theme and fun factor alone to this idea would make this game feel more like what I as a fan would expect from a Star Wars MMO.

Agreed. If Bioware wanted to have their own sounds for Lightsabers that are WAY out of line from the movies and what we are accustomed to, then they should have given us complete control of Lightsaber and Blaster Customization all the way from Blade Color, Hilt Color, Blade Activation Sound Effects, Blade Hum Sound Effects and how the weapon sounds while swinging through the air.

Indeed. From a lore standpoint of view and also from a fun factor perspective, it makes all too much sense to allow FULL customization of weapons.

In Star Wars Lore, Jedi constructed their very own Lightsabers from scratch. I think at level 50, you should be given a quest to create your own weapons, Lightsabers and Blasters. The theme and fun factor alone to this idea would make this game feel more like what I as a fan would expect from a Star Wars MMO.

Defintely good idea, but I don't want to get too far off topic in the thread. This thread's purpose is to bring to Biowares attention the fans dissatisfaction with the changes to lightsabers made in Beta, and there is a lot of support to bring them back to the proper versions.

Defintely good idea, but I don't want to get too far off topic in the thread. This thread's purpose is to bring to Biowares attention the fans dissatisfaction with the changes to lightsabers made in Beta, and there is a lot of support to bring them back to the proper versions.

Let's hope they see this as something that should be prioritized then. A year in to the game, I would say it's about due for some attention.

I edited the post with an additional paragraph and implore everyone to rewatch class progression videos to see lightsabers in their better form! Even red and blue were changed, but they weren't made to look much worse like many of the other colors.

Except for the consular progression video! That shows the post lightsaber change!

Edited by Jemfisto