Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

All you people who liked The Avengers and Ironman movies: guess who owns Marvel Comics? DISNEY.

Both of those titles are already better than Episodes 1-3. If anything, Disney will improve Star Wars. As long as they stick to canon, it will be an improvement. I'm sure there's a clause that Lucas requires they stick to canon.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you people who liked The Avengers and Ironman movies: guess who owns Marvel Comics? DISNEY.

Both of those titles are already better than Episodes 1-3. If anything, Disney will improve Star Wars. As long as they stick to canon, it will be an improvement. I'm sure there's a clause that Lucas requires they stick to canon.

But what is considered Canon?

GL has stated publicly that Star Wars was all about the rise and fall of Darth Vader and that the EU isn't considered Canon (by him).

Everyone keeps pointing to Marvel phase I of how Disney has done a "great job" with these kinds of properties - the thing they forget to point out is that phase I was planned, mapped and completed prior to the Disney purchase of Marvel, they had next to nothing to do with the development of those movies.

Now that's not to say they won't do a great job with phase II, and also they may well do a great job with future Star Wars movies, but people need to stop using the existing Marvel movies as an example of Disney handling these purchases well.

GL has stated publicly that Star Wars was all about the rise and fall of Darth Vader and that the EU isn't considered Canon (by him).

Plus: ""It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

Source = E Online Article"

If this is really how this is goin'... well... what is canon?

Everyone keeps pointing to Marvel phase I of how Disney has done a "great job" with these kinds of properties - the thing they forget to point out is that phase I was planned, mapped and completed prior to the Disney purchase of Marvel, they had next to nothing to do with the development of those movies.

Now that's not to say they won't do a great job with phase II, and also they may well do a great job with future Star Wars movies, but people need to stop using the existing Marvel movies as an example of Disney handling these purchases well.

Planned or not, Disney kept their fingers out of it and let the folks that know Marvel make those movies. So, regardless of if Disney was part of the planning or not, once they owned them, they didn't mess with them.

Either way, Disney has done a great job handling Marvel.

I honestly love the characters from the OT (Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, the droids) so much, that I would be absolutely cool with them being recast by the right actors. I would love to see these characters in their prime in movies depicting their struggle to pull the galaxy back together.

I am open to the idea of new actors if done right. I love the characters and want to see more.

I think you'll end up pleased then. My guess is they have to revive the original characters (re-casting them). They could move 20-30yrs into the future, but I don't think Disney is interested in selling Luke action figures when he's an old man...as a kid, NOBODY wanted to play "Ben" Kenobi.

I think you'll end up pleased then. My guess is they have to revive the original characters (re-casting them). They could move 20-30yrs into the future, but I don't think Disney is interested in selling Luke action figures when he's an old man...as a kid, NOBODY wanted to play "Ben" Kenobi.

I am optimistic about all of this. The mere fact that we are getting 7-9 makes me giddy. I think folks should reserve judgement till we get them. We are talking about Star Wars fans though. ;)

Plus: ""It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.

In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.

Source = E Online Article"

If this is really how this is goin'... well... what is canon?

I contributed to a piece last night after the news, a kind of "initial reaction" thing, my first thoughts were these:

I see they’ve got three ways to continue with the Star Wars franchise:

They can create a direct sequel trilogy, based on the “expanded universe”, giving them the pick of existing stories and continuing the saga of the Skywalkers. This gives them a possible advantage in so much as there’s already an audience – the expanded universe fans. My thoughts would be either the Thrawn trilogy or even better, Dark Empire.

They could disregard the expanded universe entirely and create their own sequels to the existing films. This would cause an endless amount of online flaming right up until the point of release – I can smell the carnage already!

They could create a new trilogy, set after the expanded universe story. Say, 200 years after ROJ? This would serve to keep all the books and comics and canon, while enabling them to create their own story and characters – this would be my preferred option as a Star Wars fan.

If Disney continue right off from ROJ, chances are very high they'll disregard anything the expanded universe has offered up so far, throwing the whole continuity and established timeline out of the window. In my opinion their best bet would be to do an "Old Republic" on the series - that is to set it within a timeframe that doesn't interfere with any existing work, introducing whole new characters for a whole new franchise.

Edited by DarthSeer

I'm unsure how to feel about this, it can either be a huge success or a huge catastrophy.

Must importent thing, DO NOT! AND I REAPET, DON'T YOU DEAR RUIN STAR WARS LORE! - Darth Caedus won't have it! -

AND NO Micky Mouse ears or other foolish stuff in swtor, stay away!

I contributed to a piece last night after the news, a kind of "initial reaction" thing, my first thoughts were these:

I see they’ve got three ways to continue with the Star Wars franchise:

They can create a direct sequel trilogy, based on the “expanded universe”, giving them the pick of existing stories and continuing the saga of the Skywalkers. This gives them a possible advantage in so much as there’s already an audience – the expanded universe fans. My thoughts would be either the Thrawn trilogy or even better, Dark Empire.

They could disregard the expanded universe entirely and create their own sequels to the existing films. This would cause an endless amount of online flaming right up until the point of release – I can smell the carnage already!

They could create a new trilogy, set after the expanded universe story. Say, 200 years after ROJ? This would serve to keep all the books and comics and canon, while enabling them to create their own story and characters – this would be my preferred option as a Star Wars fan.

If Disney continue right off from ROJ, chances are very high they'll disregard anything the expanded universe has offered up so far, throwing the whole continuity and established timeline out of the window. In my opinion their best bet would be to do an "Old Republic" on the series - that is to set it within a timeframe that doesn't interfere with any existing work, introducing whole new characters for a whole new franchise.

My thoughts as well. I really like the point 1 and 3. But, sadly... I'm thinking in the possibilities of they making the point 2... all we can (and have) to do is wait.

In the end, it's Star Wars back, its something awesome that can't be said in words!

Let's hope! :)

Planned or not, Disney kept their fingers out of it and let the folks that know Marvel make those movies. So, regardless of if Disney was part of the planning or not, once they owned them, they didn't mess with them.

Either way, Disney has done a great job handling Marvel.

My point was that we've yet to really see how they'll be handling Marvel, the proof of the pudding will be in the next phase of movies, only then will we know whether or not they leave it to the experts, or whether they decide to get involved and in what capacity.

I was hesitant to admit any positive thoughts regarding this, followed the acquisition in the news a bit. This morning I found this gem which pretty much convinced me that there is little hope.

“We’re likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console,” said Disney CEO Robert Iger during a conference call. ”We’ll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they’ve already demonstrated to the other platforms.”

Console? I hope Iger has a more broad view of gaming than that, hope is not one of my strong suits though.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/30/disney-acquires-all-of-lucasfilm-including-lucasarts/

My point was that we've yet to really see how they'll be handling Marvel, the proof of the pudding will be in the next phase of movies, only then will we know whether or not they leave it to the experts, or whether they decide to get involved and in what capacity.

Then look at Pixar. Disney has owned them for quite a while and the quality of their movies hasn't dropped (though Brave was not nearly as good as it should have been IMO).

When it comes down to it Star Wars has been treated about as badly as it could have been under Lucas' direction. Giving the reigns to another company is a good move. Disney has a history of treating it's franchises well.

There's no way y'alls rose tinted goggles have kicked in already. Episodes I and II were some of the worst written movies I've seen, and despite having world class actors they still came across as awkward. Don't forget Jar Jar, and all the changes Lucas continued to make to the original trilogy. Previously, the only positive thing in the Star Wars universe was this game and the clone wars tv show. Now we have hope.

Edited by VicSkimmr

Did you read this:

Star Wars Episode 7 Star Wars 7 Story Plot Summary (Insider Secrets of Star Wars Episodes 7 8 9)?

Episode 7 - The Hidden Circle

Episode 8 - Republic in Crisis

Episode 9 - Victory of the Force

:cool:

Edited by Urael

No Mickey Mouse... There a Panda game out there if you're into that kind of thing.

the game is full of immersion breaking mechanics, I don't see Mickey Mouse ears colliding with the game concept.

They could do it for next Halloween most certainly.

SWTOR does not have a realistic approach in many ways (e.g. speeders are spawned out of thin air in case you did not notice)

Look what Disney (who now owns Marvel and their film franchises) did with the Avengers! Imagine the talent they could get to work on new Star Wars movies? And with George Lucas just being a creative consultant...I think this could be amazing for Star Wars.

If he didn't consider EU to be canon then he would never have allowed it to be suggested as canon nor allowed fan fiction books to be published on his creation.

The fact is, every book that others have written that the fans consider as canon was approved by George Lucas first...therefor EU is canon.

Bah! From that it seems as though these MAY be set well past RoTJ.

Read if you dare! :D

The opening of Episode 7 is very much like the trailer "Decieved" to SWTOR concerning the sacking of the Jedi Temple.

Original? :D

Edited by Urael

the game is full of immersion breaking mechanics, I don't see Mickey Mouse ears colliding with the game concept.

They could do it for next Halloween most certainly.

SWTOR does not have a realistic approach in many ways (e.g. speeders are spawned out of thin air in case you did not notice)

No mickey ears.

If he didn't consider EU to be canon then he would never have allowed it to be suggested as canon nor allowed fan fiction books to be published on his creation.

The fact is, every book that others have written that the fans consider as canon was approved by George Lucas first...therefor EU is canon.

With all due respect, George Lucas is the creator, what he says - is canon.