Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.4 resolve

Biggilus

So, for some reason I couldn't precisely work out what the new idea is with it. I gathered from the patch notes previously it was intended to make chain stunning easier for PuGs/disorganised groups due to somethign to do with two people hitting a stun at once being an alleged problem before? I certinaly didn't gather that it would be more difficult to dish out CC, anyhow. Don't know if I'm over-raging at the mo and basing all my current experience on crappy games but it feels like I'm stunned for longer durations and have multiple stun effects on me.

Do they overlap now and extend the overall stun duration? And what's with the resolve bar being a broken white line when full all about?

Just trying to figure out the actual change :/

Depending on how inefficient the team is you will receive anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 less resolve. Generally this means you will spend less time immune to resolve generating effects. The only way you would see no difference is if you always played against a perfect team or all resolve generating effects came from underlapping sources.

I've noticed the pace of PvP matches dropping considerably and it is partially attributable to this.

Were this changes supposed to make it easier to CC people or actually help to reduce the time you spend CC'd?

If it was the first then congrats BW you succeeded.

Yesterday I actually counted the times, I got sapped by an Assassin (does this build resolve?) waited out the duration because he wasn't capping the point, then I got flashbang and debilitated by an operative healer, again I waited for the stun to run out since they weren't attacking me or capping, at this point I looked at my resolve bar and it was about 90% full which means someone else could have come in and stunned me.

So yes I spent about 20 seconds CC'd with room for another stun before I got a full resolve bar. I could have used my CC break during any of those but really, wasn't the reasoning behind reducing the range on CC abilities to reduce the time you spend CC'd? and yet you go and make resolve changes that allow for MORE stuns to land on you. /boggle.

The change was made to reduce the amount of resolve filled when not prevented from moving for a longer duration. In the last post's example, someone hit you with flashbang before the effects of sap had expired, so the effects of flashbang and sap overlapped. Prior to this patch, you would have had full resolve, even though you were not totally mezzed for the entire portion of both abilities, but now the flashbang did not fill your resolve as much as it would have before. In all, they did not try to reduce stuns at all, they simply attempted to help uncoordinated pugs from filling everyone's resolve without actually preventing movement. So when two people on your team use a 4 second stun at the same time, resolve functions as though the person was only stunned once, since only one of the stun's effects will really be utilized. Extremely coordinated teams, however, can take advantage of this. By using a four second stun, then using another 4 second stun after 3 seconds, the target is stunned for 7 seconds without filling resolve. This leaves them open to another stun if they have already used their CC breaker, whereas if you used two stuns and waited until the first one was done before doing the second, it would fill resolve and you could not use a third stun.

They basically took the most annoying part of PVP, and made it more annoying.

PuGs tend to overlap stuns, so what you would have was a bunch of people being stunned by 3 people at once spending 4 seconds total stunned and coming out of that with full resolve.

Now if someone stuns you, then someone else stuns you 2 seconds later, you get a stun and a 1/2 worth of resolve, instead of 2 stuns worth.

Against premades who are good at coordinating stuns, you get to spend even more time as a casual observer in a PVP match instead of actually playing.

The silver lining if there is one, is that with the old method you could have your resolve filled, and used up, all within the span of 2 overlapping stuns. That shouldn't happen (as much) anymore.

Ive never been one to argue for taking away stuns because the classes that have them, need them. But at the end of the day, in an attempt to make the game more forgiving for pug mistakes, they have just made the gap between PuGs and premades a little wider, which right or wrong, will drive a few more people away from PVP. Now PuGs won't be filling people's resolve all the time, but it won't matter because they will have burned their stuns anyway.

I don't know, I'm not a fan of dumbing things down to make the game easier for people who suck. But I'm not a fan of making things easier for people who don't either. They/we already have the advantage of "not sucking".

I just know if they would have taken a poll that said "Who wants to spend more time stunned in a WZ?" The answer would have been pretty clear.

As mentioned, the idea behind the change was to fix what amounted to a "bug" that granted free Resolve to players who were hit with multiple stuns.

The system is designed to grant 200 resolve per second of hard stun, 100 resolve per second of mezz, and 400 resolve per movement effect.

If you get hit with a 4 second stun, you get 800 resolve (which is 800/4=200, which meets the system design). If you get hit with two stuns at the same time you will still only be stunned for 4 seconds, but prior to 1.4 you would get 800+800+400 resolve (the 400 is the over 1000 bonus) for a total of 2000 resolve (which is 2000/4=500, which does not meet the system design).

This change is designed to correct the unintended Resolve per second gain and bring it back in line with the intended rates.

This change is designed to correct the unintended Resolve per second gain and bring it back in line with the intended rates.

This is not directed @ you Darth P., but that's why it is a rub to people. Even if it was not "working as intended", it was closer to being fine, as it was. Now they are pretty much rewarding people for overlapping stuns, which is a big "no-no" in the L2P realm. The Devs openly admitted thet this change was due to the "wrecking ball" class when at full immunity. They changed an entire system to stop one AC from becoming a "wrecking ball' :rolleyes:

Devs:

1. People want to get away from the Stun Wars, but this "fix" is making PvP even more "stunning", and not in the beautiful way. In one night, I almost stopped PvPing because I was getting stunned constantly, and rarely a full resolve bar to show for it. Some need them, but there are too many classes that have them. Period...

2. Resolve only needed a minor tweak. People were upset because resolve wore off before they could actually use it. If you die, your resolve wore off before you get back into battle, or you were still stunned while you meter was decaying. That means you should have not only changed the decay start, but also the rate of decay. This STILL needs adjusting.

3. NERF MARAS/SENTS. Seriously, no other AC becomes a "wrecking ball" with full resolve. No I know I'll get flamed, but whatever, a 1 sec nerf is a joke for something that powerful that will now be specd on a 45sec CD (by the smart ones at least). They also have other tank type CD's and a vanish, all while having arguably the best DPS in PvP. I don't care that they are incredibly strong, but they also should not have better survivability than a tank class in PvP. It's tardo. IDK, maybe you think this change in a ninja nerf to them, but it actually is a "fun" nerf to everybody else.

This is the most evident problem with PvP right now, and it need fixing immediately. I don't even care that my sweep is broken on my tank alt. Seriously BW, fix your game.

1. Make resolve fill a little faster

2. Make resolve tick a little slower

3. Reduce the CC breaker cooldown a little bit

These were the (most reasonable) changes people were asking for.

Easy to test, easy to implement - just change a couple of parameters in the code.

If Bioware would have done any one of them (within reason), I believe most could have agreed to that.

Instead they muddled the whole thing up and it's still a stun fest! :(

1. Make resolve fill a little faster

2. Make resolve tick a little slower

3. Reduce the CC breaker cooldown a little bit

These were the (most reasonable) changes people were asking for.

Easy to test, easy to implement - just change a couple of parameters in the code.

If Bioware would have done any one of them (within reason), I believe most could have agreed to that.

Instead they muddled the whole thing up and it's still a stun fest! :(

It's even more of a stunfest, actually. Rest of the post is spot on.

I just came out of a game where about 3-4 people on the opposing team had Cybertech grenades. With all the Pulls, Pushes, stuns, grenades, I was barely ever in control of my character. I don't know why Bioware felt that people want to spend more time CCd...

Successful patch.

If the aim was going from annoying to asinine.

Still get stunlocked to 10% health, still spend a significant amount of time not in control of my character. This is not the dumbest thing I've ever seen, but I've spent a lot of time drinking so that bar is pretty high.

Also managed to make melee which was already killing me in 3 hits to kill me in just 1. Cool.

Oh yeah, and they managed to cripple my crossfire graphics cards to the point that I get better performance by shutting one off.

Their QC guy used to do underwrite kids toys in a Chinese factory or something.

Might be a nub question, but do slows contribute to filling resolve bar?

Slows are Roots are not Resolve Effects, thus they do not add Resolve nor are they affected by Resolve Immunity.

This is intentional as they are part of the kiting metagame, not the CC metagame.

Maybe this is what they intended but the Chain CC actually drove me to hang up both my 50's and go level an alt...10-49 PvP the majority of SI/Con and Op/Smugg dont have all their stuns yet...so its a lot more fun. It doesnt help that the changes shifted the balance of Power from DPS rulz to Stuns rule...So everyone that shelved their Sorcs, and Ops just dusted them off all at once...And those that didnt have them dusted off their Juggs and respecced Rage...So its Stun, Stun, Stun Triple smash everyones dead...Awesome experience.

Granted I have a Jugg and heve been rage since they "Nerfed" it. I dont want to be a part of this PvP anyway....Its still not fun even for the "OP" Dmg classes. Honestly the only ones that are probably enjoying this are ops, Sins, and Sorcs that figured out to hybrid spec into "Stun Bubble".

They broke alot of abilities as well with the patch and no word on fixes there....1.4 should have never went live in its condition....They knew PvP could not be properly tested. The result is they completely destroyed it with bugs and untested changes that hit the very core of PvP fun factor. Really bad move.

Ive heard it said before...and I agree that Bioware is severly lucky there are alot of Diehard Star Wars fans..If not for that I would have hung this game up a long time ago...Decsions being made are just mind boggling...

Im going to play my alt and do under 50 PvP until I hit 50....If they havnt sorted this out by then I will be forced to bag it....PvP in its current state IMO is unplayable.

Edited by Soljin

Maybe this is what they intended but the Chain CC actually drove me to hang up both my 50's and go level an alt...10-49 PvP the majority of SI/Con and Op/Smugg dont have all their stuns yet...so its a lot more fun. It doesnt help that the changes shifted the balance of Power from DPS rulz to Stuns rule...So everyone that shelved their Sorcs, and Ops just dusted them off all at once...And those that didnt have them dusted off their Juggs and respecced Rage...So its Stun, Stun, Stun Triple smash everyones dead...Awesome experience.

Granted I have a Jugg and heve been rage since they "Nerfed" it. I dont want to be a part of this PvP anyway....Its still not fun even for the "OP" Dmg classes. Honestly the only ones that are probably enjoying this are ops, Sins, and Sorcs that figured out to hybrid spec into "Stun Bubble".

They broke alot of abilities as well with the patch and no word on fixes there....1.4 should have never went live in its condition....They knew PvP could not be properly tested. The result is they completely destroyed it with bugs and untested changes that hit the very core of PvP fun factor. Really bad move.

Ive heard it said before...and I agree that Bioware is severly lucky there are alot of Diehard Star Wars fans..If not for that I would have hung this game up a long time ago...Decsions being made are just mind boggling...

Im going to play my alt and do under 50 PvP until I hit 50....If they havnt sorted this out by then I will be forced to bag it....PvP in its current state IMO is unplayable.

SI/JC has both the hard stun and hard mez available by level 10. The Shadow/Assassin gets an extra hard mez at level 20.

I have no problems with the 1.4 resolve system. I also thought the resolve system in 1.3 was adequate.

Keep in mind that in 1.4, your resolve doesn't start ticking down until the stun affect is over. This means that when "white barred" you will enjoy the full resolve cooldown after you get into the white. This means more time immune to stuns once your resolve has been filled.

SWTOR PVP is complex and challenging. Ability to stun other players goes a long way toward rewarding good players, and well coordinated teams. Simultaneously it also avoids punishing PUGs. I think it's elegant.

Every class in the game has stuns and stun breakers. Please don't insist on Bioware dumbing down PVP to a GuildWars level.

Stuns are brutal in PVP, and that's the way it should be.

SI/JC has both the hard stun and hard mez available by level 10. The Shadow/Assassin gets an extra hard mez at level 20.

Alrighty...Since theres always one guy more intent on pointing out wrongs then getting the point...There are fewer stuns availible and used less often in the 10-49 bracket in general...Hence the 10-49 bracket is not as bad in the Stun Fest Dept.... So basically Im going down to the little legues until they fix this crap.

Not a fan either.

Suggestions:

1) White bar should decay more slowly.

2) Lower the cooldown on cc-breaker to 90 seconds and/or grant immunity to stuns (not to be confused with mezzes, roots, snares, knockbacks, or pulls) for 3 seconds after using cc-breaker.

3) Damage taken while stunned should add to resolve.

I have no problems with the 1.4 resolve system. I also thought the resolve system in 1.3 was adequate.

You're quite fortunate because you're one of the few.

I hate it. Always have. Resolve has been made WORSE with this patch. It was already one of the most frustrating systems ever designed...making it worse took talent from Bioware. I commend them at doing absolutely every possible thing they can to frustrate PvPers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.