The real problems with the current state of PVP

Kronus

Originally Posted by Livianicen

...It's also worth mentioning that most users probably won't notice the issue. Since most people are using WoW as a reference point (because it has the most responsive combat of any MMO right now....sadly) people who haven't played it won't know the difference. Likewise, people who didn't do a lot of PvP, especially at a high level, won't really know the difference. People who generally don't play fast, or don't PvP extensively, won't know the difference, etc. But if you've played WoW for years and gotten used to the responsive nature of the PvP, especially advanced tactics like baiting interrupts (fake casting), rapid tab-targeting to cast clutch silence/cc etc, you notice a very quick and sudden drop. And it's not to do with the pacing of combat either.

^^^^

for all you that can't see what we are talking about.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just like hitting a button or using a skill and knowing it's going to work. Bad responsiveness in other games is why I quit them. I am finding that I have to mash the heck out of my keys to get skills to register and go off. It's really frustrating. In PVP it's the worst. And things like DFA, Force Quake, Morter volley, etc.. Keybound and all - they don't go off half the time I use them after selecting my targeted area. It's like the game forgets that I was targeting that skill to actually use it.

I am begging the bug team to devote some time to fixing the responsiveness issues in this game. I have done everything on my end possible to improve my computers performance, and can go no further.

Another responsiveness issue I get is getting knocked down and then not being able to get back up unless I physically turn my camera and start "walking." This seems.. So strange to me that the game doesn't put you back on your feet when you come out of that debuff. It lags so hard too.

There is a response problem. At with latency at 36, 55 fps, delay set to 0 (level 41 JKG) I am unable half the time to interrupt a channeled or quick draw an ability (aka getting your ability off before theirs on a bridge force push duel). This isn't just pvp, in tanking flashpoints I find the same issue about 50% of the time (trying to interrupt an ability being channeled). This isn't being familiar or attuned to a global cool down of another game, this is a serious issue which effects taunts, stuns, interrupts and such in both types of play (pvp & pve).

I can chain spam snare (force freeze).. that is wrong. This is coming from a class JKG/SWJ which is recognized as underpowered. Wrong because no ability should be spammed (there is no skill in spam) and most particularly considering you can't build up resolve via snare. In addition the sheer number of stuns does not make this a pvp match of skill, in fact it reduces it to a failed mechanic. The counter we were told through beta is Resolve. Once it is charged you cant be cc'd for a period of time. The problem is, yes you can, its just twitchy like that. I let the cute 4 second stun stay on me, when it dropped and I was hit with the 8, I broke it the 8sec one. Was hit again, resolve was full, when that cc dropped I was hit yet again, I died long before the final one finished (3v1 and the three were dps, I should have died). Getting hit repeatedly (anyone) while under stun is simply bs.

Number of abilities I was able to get off, 3. Slash for insta barrier (requires skill tree points), attempted stasis (skill tree'd to instant but was too slow I guess) Resolute (cc break). That was all she wrote. I am NOT a squishy class. I am a JKG, 11,140 HP normally (14k buffed up in pvp) 5400 base armor at level 41. Understand & I expect to die 3v1 vs all dps'rs, the point was they were able to attack free of charge. CC's are too much and/or Resolve is shaky and not effectively doing what is intended, in fact I say its both.

My role as a tank isn't damage, its absorbing damage, reducing damage done to others, shielding a squishy (or important player/position), cc'ing when I can and generally being a pita. I regularly have very high protection, very low damage and spend most of my time with "loading please wait" (smile that is a reference to old EQ players :) ). When a player is stunned to death, its not skill its a failing mechanic (doesn't matter which side you are on). I am not calling for a nerf to sage/sorc, ia/smug or anything else, I am saying resolve needs to be fixed and cc's needs tweaking, either in the abilities, consistency, counter reduction or some form of all the above.

I pvp'd every day in beta, I have pvp'd every day from the 13th. It hasn't gotten better as my available skills has gone up, it has gotten worse to the point I have to wonder if its me (and am testing with another class) or if there is something broken. My final declaration of probably a bit of both but heavier on something broken when my friends (who are amazing at pvp) told me "yeah, its broken" and proceeded to explain why. And trust me, Nothing Gaming is no joke to pvp.

Scum and Villainy for life on the Vulgar Highway :)

I can almost fully agree with this poster. However the more and more I play I'm starting to feel that the amount of cc is almost okay. Maybe resolve could use some tweaks but I've encountered and also myself been an unstoppable even with this amount of cc. With the correct setup a flag carrier can score very easily and countering bad players with timing has granted me so many scores even when being near the spawn alone. It's a team game, you're not really supposed to get caught in a 2v1.

I play a tank speccd powertech (for now atleast) and for time and time again I've scored using the right timing for my cc breakers and ccs against 2+ opponents. Just a few games ago I scored after surviving 5+ seconds of cc with energy shield on waiting for 5 enemies to fill my resolve and then using cc breaker, aoe stunning them and walking past the goal line.

I have one suggestion that I think would work for fixing the cc problem in the game. Change the resolve bar so that once it goes up to half and over, stuns and mez last only half of their duration. Once it fills up you become immune until its gone like its now.

This would reduce the total duration a target could be cc'd in a row which would be great IMO.

Edited by Eepo

Rather than comparing swtor to wow, i think it would serve everyone better comparing it to warhammer seeming mythic worked on that too. In that game there were immunity timers and cc that broke on damage. Those things should be in swtor aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I agree with the OP that PvP needs some work to make it the fluid and responsive system it NEEDS to be in order to keep players engaged and entertained.

I'm not entirely displeased with the level of CC in the game, although I might have done it a bit differently (less CC among the classes, consolidated in a low damage, high utility class).

I haven't been stun-locked (yet) in a 1v1 situation, although I have been the victim of many many stun party wolf packs (I swear, it's like being on the receiving end of a train). while the likelyhood of survival drops exponentially with the number of enemies stomping you, I wonder if changes to the resolve system might aleviate frustrations. For example:

Resolve is generated by both the CC ability, AND THE DAMAGE DONE DURING THE CC PERIOD. This means resolve builds faster, the more damage is done to a stunned player.

Resolve persists until logout, D/C or death; there's no decay between fights. This isn't the same as CC immunity, but rather the bar that leads up to it.

If the player's Resolve bar is full, CC Immunity is triggered when a CC ability is applied on the player. Alternatively, each character's "Break Free" ability is linked to the Resolve bar, not to a excessively long cool-down period.

Changes would need to be made to how much it would take to actually fill the Resolve bar, but the above ideas would give players a great deal more control over their characters during CC heavy fights, and ESPECIALLY during 2+v1 situations (it won't actually help you from getting killed, but it might keep you from dying in place).

• 1 month later...