The real problems with the current state of PVP

Kronus

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The responsivness could be better but i don't think it's that bad. I think some of that comes from relativly long animation and executions of skills, like the BH rockets (the skill gets triggered instant but until the animation lets you shoot it takes some time, and it seems you are not ready for the next attack in time for GCD.

Again responsivness could be better but i think much of it is caused because overall it takes longer to execute a skill then in WoW for example.

They clearly wanted combat to look good, and it does. But unfortunately, in PvP, you very quickly learn to care only about your performance.

I'm not sure why they insisted on long GCD and slow animations for PvP, but I think they made a very bad choice there.

What's worse is the sound design. A strong PvP game NEEDS clear indicators for every key ability - and especially CC effects. That goes for distinct sound effects AND visual effects.

That your character looks cool when slashing someone with his lightsaber is totally useless if the delay between pushing the button and the effect happening takes more than a second.

Then again, most MMOs mess this up. WAR and RIFT were both very clunky in this way as well.

You need a keen insight into game design to understand these finer points, and Bioware clearly doesn't have what it takes in this area.

Thankfully, the game is pretty good for what it is - a largely story-driven linear experience.

I agree wth this, the main thing for me is the lack of cc immunity and damage not breaking a cc, cc should be used to control someone attacking healers etc and stupid players would then attack this person breaking the cc.

Its horrible how i can get cced multiple times in a row with no cc immunity etc at all, i dont care about snares etc thats fine.

This game favours ranged so much its rediculous especially on huttball anyone who says that its a fine bg/scenario is kidding themselves. Mind you i like to fight rather than run around so maybe im biased, i really hope they release more where you actually need to fight and do some proper pvp.

I'm pretty much done with pvp for the time being, at least the rest of the game is keeping me entertained.

I agree with everything except CC. Resolve is in the game and it works. There is by no means too much cc and the people who claim otherwise really need to take a look at the abilities.

Well the resolve bar works, but the immunity mechanic does not. Had it an hour ago in a huttball match, my resolve was almost full, i had the ball and about 15 meters to the touch down zone...i got stunned once, my resolve bar got full, cc wore off i ran on and got stunned again, and then again and then got killed while stunlocked...

i have to agree with the op , most of times you just get stunlocked to death even if u use your cc counter u get cced again not to mention those purple lightnings from the sith inquisitor or whatever that class is those lightnings are just too op even in a 1 on 1 my trooper stands no chance i just get strunlocked to death after i already used my breacking CC ability i just end up dying my dps is too low Edited by Lokits

The reason WoW was so responsive and fluid has to do with the talent and craftsmanship of Blizzard developers - before release.

I won't get into what game is better or whatever, as it's all irrelevant. All I know is that WoW is technically superior to pretty much any other MMO out there - and Bioware doesn't have that kind of technical talent. They do have much better writers and such, but that's something else.

So, it will never be like WoW in this way.

Problem is WoW PvP is kind of crap ... so all the technical talent you imagine does not garant desirable effect.

Agree, agree, agree. Especially agree on the responsiveness of some of my skills, Sometimes I'll have to tap about three times for something to go off. Not sure what's up with that.

Also agree on the targeting, It's a pain in the butt.

This is only partially relevant to the OP, but I think a lot of folks come into a new game like this (or any MMO that has come out in the last few years) with the stigma that it should operate like WoW did and have trouble adjusting when it doesn't.

That said, I've noticed the response to be a bit clunky and definitely show room for improvement, but at the same time I've not had much trouble adapting and being successful in PvP. I'm anxious to see what kind of improvements they make and look forward to adapting as they come.

The game only officially came out today. Have patience bros.

The point is it's wrong to try to go for WoW fluidity when the outcome is just bad.

WoW PvP isn't bad because it's fantastically fluid and responsive. It's "bad" (if you don't like it) - because PvP isn't particularly meaningful.

Combine meaningful PvP with a fast, responsive and fluid combat system - and you've got something worthwhile on your hands.

Too much emphasis on pvp currently. I believe we have a great game here and maybe one day they will develop something really special in terms of pvp but for now the storylines and crew stuff will keep millions busy for a long time.

I do however think the customer service on this forum are a joke. Got a warning for calling someone an idiot lol.

WoW PvP isn't bad because it's fantastically fluid and responsive. It's "bad" (if you don't like it) - because PvP isn't particularly meaningful.

Combine meaningful PvP with a fast, responsive and fluid combat system - and you've got something worthwhile on your hands.

Imho the price of the fantastically fluid WoW PvP is that spamming the abilities feels cheap. Character just randomly waves his hands around in casting frenzy for the sake of fast responsive combat and the experience feels more and more like playing a piano than controlling a game avatar.

I am so looking forward to GW2 with all the throwing around and rolling and positional combat and TOR really surprised me with the amount of interactiveness it has. A lot of the issues ppl have with the TOR combat comes from being used to the WoW spamming ... it's different system you need to get used to.

Honestly BW would be stupid to react to these early feedback coming from ppl who didn't have enough time to really learn how to play the game.

Imho the price of the fantastically fluid WoW PvP is that spamming the abilities feels cheap. Character just randomly waves his hands around in casting frenzy for the sake of fast responsive combat and the experience feels more and more like playing a piano than controlling a game avatar.

I am so looking forward to GW2 with all the throwing around and rolling and positional combat and TOR really surprised me with the amount of interactiveness it has. A lot of the issues ppl have with the TOR combat comes from being used to the WoW spamming ... it's different system you need to get used to.

Honestly BW would be stupid to react to these early feedback coming from ppl who didn't have enough time to really learn how to play the game.

If you want to tell yourself that people are used to spamming abilities mindlessly and don't know what they're talking about - that's your business.

I think my years with WoW and level of experience with games in general has taught me something about what's a good approach.

But if you must assume that people are idiots when they don't agree, then I have no interest in exchanging with you.

If you want to tell yourself that people are used to spamming abilities mindlessly and don't know what they're talking about - that's your business.

I think my years with WoW and level of experience with games in general has taught me something about what's a good approach.

But if you must assume that people are idiots when they don't agree, then I have no interest in exchanging with you.

Ok, simple question ... you think that WoW PvP combat is good ?

Ok, simple question ... you think that WoW PvP combat is good ?

I think it's vastly superior to SWtOR and pretty much all other MMOs out there. But we're talking about the combat system alone, not the top-layer or the concept of battlegrounds/arenas.

I MUCH prefer fast and fluid responses to smooth animations in PvP. That's because I don't have time to look at what's happening on screen when I'm fighting for my life. So, I also need CLEAR visual indicators and sounds that are immediately recognisable.

SWtOR combat looks better than WoW combat, but it's very slow, unresponsive and clunky in comparison.

Ultimately, it's about gameplay before aesthetics.

I think it's vastly superior to SWtOR and pretty much all other MMOs out there. But we're talking about the combat system alone, not the top-layer or the concept of battlegrounds/arenas.

I MUCH prefer fast and fluid responses to smooth animations in PvP. That's because I don't have time to look at what's happening on screen when I'm fighting for my life. So, I also need CLEAR visual indicators and sounds that are immediately recognisable.

SWtOR combat looks better than WoW combat, but it's very slow, unresponsive and clunky in comparison.

Well ... that's difference in our oppinions ... I just don't like it, because to me it feels cheap spam fest. The thing is for ppl who like the WoW PvP ... you can play WoW, for ppl who don't like WoW PvP ... maybe TOR could offer an alternative ?

lol then no wonder you feel like SWTOR is in any stretch of the imagination GOOD in that department.

WoW is a terribly boring/ mind numbingly grindy game - but the engine is incredible. Not only can you actually reduce the GCD to a very short time (or reduce it period), but its responsiveness is unmatched.

Couldn't agree with this more. And this issue has been a game breaking deal for me in games. I thought rift had the exact same problem.

Agree with this post as well.

I am enjoying the games questing system and storyline, so I don't feel i'm being totally negative here. Just the combat itself needs work.