Did I hear this right?

Uluain

I hope this isn't done the same way mass effect 3 did SGR.

Have you played any of the existing opposite-sex companion romances that already exist in-game? What little info we have tends to indicate that same-gender romances will play out in the same way, where you need to choose to [Flirt] to initiate them. Don't want Corso checking you out? Don't click the [Flirt] when that pops up in his companion conversation. It's that simple.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a reminder, this thread is mostly about the Gabe Amatangelo interview. As the info was leaked, but uncertain, it would be nice to have it clarified – if not now, at least when they are ready to tell us more about Makeb. Really, this is as much to do with finding out how to confirm rumors originating "in house" with BioWare. It came to my attention because it is the only word on same-gender content since March, but SGR discussion in general has a very active thread on the Story and Lore forum.

I believe we should be petitioning BW to fix the problems in the game now, SGR's can wait a tiny bit longer, but if BW can juggle both then i say do it.

I am sure BioWare does have bugs as a priority. Putting the finishing touches on Makeb is probably up to a whole different crew (unless the QA folks are on loan for the bug hunt).

So, um, any chance of getting a official reply on this? We're just looking for any clarification the devs can give on if we should really be expecting SGR in 1.5.

Makeb. I thought Gabe said Makeb. 1.5 may not be "Makeb".

So, um, any chance of getting a official reply on this? We're just looking for any clarification the devs can give on if we should really be expecting SGR in 1.5.

At this point it would be nice for them to acknowledge the existence of the interview, without gagging their developers and story writers. I believe patch 1.5 details may have been leaked and, I'll be honest, it looked like F2P stuff and not Makeb. A fully furnished planet, with continuing story line for the war and SGRA options and Flirts would make a nice pre-Christmas present *hint hint nudge nudge* of course.

At this point it would be nice for them to acknowledge the existence of the interview, without gagging their developers and story writers. I believe patch 1.5 details may have been leaked and, I'll be honest, it looked like F2P stuff and not Makeb. A fully furnished planet, with continuing story line for the war and SGRA options and Flirts would make a nice pre-Christmas present *hint hint nudge nudge* of course.

We don't actually know that the stuff in question is for 1.5. The short version of the leak, as I understand it anyway, is that the guys over at TORhead were tearing through the code for 1.4 and found a bunch of items that aren't in game yet. Most of the stuff was vanity items, which probably means F2P content. Take from that what you will.

We don't actually know that the stuff in question is for 1.5. The short version of the leak, as I understand it anyway, is that the guys over at TORhead were tearing through the code for 1.4 and found a bunch of items that aren't in game yet. Most of the stuff was vanity items, which probably means F2P content. Take from that what you will.

Well, supposedly Free2Play is to hit 'mid-fall', which I can assume means October/early November. With the vast majority of the data-mined stuff being vanity items, it would say it's somewhat safe to assume the next big patch will be the drop of Free2Play.

Well, supposedly Free2Play is to hit 'mid-fall', which I can assume means October/early November. With the vast majority of the data-mined stuff being vanity items, it would say it's somewhat safe to assume the next big patch will be the drop of Free2Play.

Yeah, but a lot of the stuff the devs have said implied that F2P would launch with more content than just vanity items. Things like real content, which presumably means Makeb.

We are likely to see more group content drop before Makeb - there is a warzone and a new flashpoint in the pipeline, as well as HK-51 (whose quest is tied to Belsavis, not Makeb), any or all of which could also be released with F2P, particularly if these are limited access for free players to buy access unlocks for from the Cartel shop.

But really, until they are ready to be a bit more open with what is on the schedule, we can only guess. My guess is SGRs alongside expanded story with Makeb in late December / early January at roughly the 6 week point after F2P rolls out. But I'd love to hear a rough outline of what is on the schedule in general, if only so that any confirmation of SGRs comes in a larger context of other content coming sooner or at the same time.

Yes, given that as of Daniel Erickson's departure, Gabe is now the only one on the developer team that we have had any word from regarding SGRs who is still with the studio, clarification on this point (at the very least) would be opportune.

This seems to be wandering off-topic, so let me nudge it back in the right direction.

Last August, Principal Lead PvP Designer Gabe Amatangelo gave a video interview at Gamescom in Germany, where he mentioned with some hesitation that he thought same-gender romance would be released with the rest of the story content coming with Makeb. He qualified his remarks by observing that his own involvement in the game is about as far away from story content as he could be, but also seemed confident that the content was on its way, concluding that it is just a matter of "getting it on the schedule".

That interview can be seen here:

Late last month, when asked by various folks, Lead Writer Hall Hood tweeted to give as his only update a link to that interview, characterizing it as "the official word." He followed this with a tweet to the effect that he'd be happy to tell us more when he is able to. Then, without explanation, the post calling Gabe's comments "official" was pulled from his feed.

Why does Gabe's comment matter? Well, vague as it was, it is the first anyone on the development team had mentioned same-gender content in nearly six months. But more unnervingly, it is the only comment we now have from anyone still with the studio.

Both Stephen Reid (who made the first statement that same-gender romance would be a post launch feature in September 2011) and Daniel Erickson (who made the second announcement at the Guild Summit last March that same-gender content would be coming this year) have moved on to other things.

That being the case, it would be nice to hear if Makeb is the content expansion we are looking for, and if it can still be looked for this year. Nothing to do with agendas, or political machinations or demands that this be done first - just wanting to clarify this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been signs more and more over the last month that Makeb is coming to fruition soon. Evidence is starting to be datamined about Makeb and the rumors will soon start to fly. This would be an excellent time for BW to speak up about this content to help calm down the rumor mill. I'd like it if they came and addressed us directly, rather than delete and/or block unwanted leaks.

Silence leads to fear...Fear leads to anger...Anger leads to Datamining....Datamining leads to the Darkside (of speculation.)

Edited by natashina

Um, it would be 10 then, if you set a scale, you can't go over said scale.

Yeah, except the scale actually goes to 11. Either way, he thinks SGRA's are super important, it's awesome. Still, I'd put the game-breaking bug fixes (my other healer is currently stuck on the infinite loading screen) at 11.

Yeah, except the scale actually goes to 11. Either way, he thinks SGRA's are super important, it's awesome. Still, I'd put the game-breaking bug fixes (my other healer is currently stuck on the infinite loading screen) at 11.

I'm certain I could be wrong, it's happened once before, but...I actually think he was going the opposite way...meaning, 1st priority through 10th...at least, that's how I read it. I was under the impression he didn't want them at all...as in like the 40th most important thing...

He was using it as 1 = most important, 10 = least important, and then employing hyperbole. Did you know that rhetoric was once one of the "seven liberal arts"? But I digress.

This isn't about whether same-gender romance ought to be in the game, whether it is more or less important than any other content, or trying to push some alleged agenda. It really isn't.

I want to know if Gabe Amatangelo was, in fact, correct in thinking same-gender companion romances are coming as part of the content patch which brings us Makeb.

I am hoping that, as the news is half-leaked already and was at one point almost confirmed by a writer deeply involved in the companion character design end of things, and with Makeb being closer than it was, I might get an answer to this.

Edited by Uluain

I'm certain I could be wrong, it's happened once before, but...I actually think he was going the opposite way...meaning, 1st priority through 10th...at least, that's how I read it. I was under the impression he didn't want them at all...as in like the 40th most important thing...

I know that's how it meant it, but everything is open to interpretation and, for the most part, it is how your works are interpreted and remembered that matter most (The Prince comes to mind).

I want to know if Gabe Amatangelo was, in fact, correct in thinking same-gender companion romances are coming as part of the content patch which brings us Makeb.

I am hoping that, as the news is half-leaked already and was at one point almost confirmed by a writer deeply involved in the companion character design end of things, and with Makeb being closer than it was, I might get an answer to this.

I estimated mid-December, didn't I? For a large content patch they'd probably like to start hyping it about mid-November, particularly if we get Free2Play dropping next week some time (30/10 or 1/11) and they want to market it to the F2P crowd. Given that they've been hush-hush about this content for little over a year now, if we assume Mr. Amatangelo is correct, they should be hanging bunting pretty soon.

I assume Mr. Amatangelo is correct because nobody has come forward to say he isn't. Then again no one's said he's correct, except Mr. Hood in his Twitter feed, but he was apparently eaten by a giant venus fly trap and is still trying to fight his way free of those terrifying jaws, so we'll have to wait for further confirmation there.

Edit: Haha! I'm an idiot, erroneous "not". Derp.

Edited by Tatile

No, Hall pointed to Gabe's interview, calling it "the official word", but pulled the tweet later without comment. So at best it is a non-confirmation confirmation. No one from BioWare has actually refuted Gabe's statement anywhere I've seen. People popping up of their own accord to say "this will never be in the game" are, of course, a dime a dozen.