Did I hear this right?

Uluain

As long as this game is around, the devs will always be working on flashpoints, ops, warzones etc. There is an unlimited amount of updates they can make for this kind of content.

SGRs is something that will only require one, maybe two updates so long as they are done correctly. Updating to include SGRs won't be taking away that other content. That other content will always be coming, wether SGRs are in the game or not. They might as well include SGRs sooner, rather than later.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should a 'flirt' response only be available if I'm talking to a person of the opposite sex?

I'd be satisied with them removing /gendercheck from the dialog options - a very simple change that would immediately create an atmoshere of inclusiveness for all players.

Actual romances can come later though, to be honest, that's not a big priority for me - I find the whole 'fade to black, kissy noises' (if that's what the result is) pretty silly, whether it's same or opposite sex.

Besides, I'm a Jedi so romance is a no-no. I have to content myself with just being 'buddies' with Doc.

Why should a 'flirt' response only be available if I'm talking to a person of the opposite sex?

I'd be satisied with them removing /gendercheck from the dialog options - a very simple change that would immediately create an atmoshere of inclusiveness for all players.

Actual romances can come later though, to be honest, that's not a big priority for me - I find the whole 'fade to black, kissy noises' (if that's what the result is) pretty silly, whether it's same or opposite sex.

Besides, I'm a Jedi so romance is a no-no. I have to content myself with just being 'buddies' with Doc.

I would like that too, actually. It would make Smuggler a lot less frustrating. They haven't said anything about the possibility of same-gender [Flirt] prompts, however, only about companion romances which were announced about a year ago, that have been confirmed just now as coming with other story content for Makeb.

My work-around for Smuggler for now is to use a spare slot to roll a more comedic type, different from my more serious RP toon. So now I have a fat blue Twi'lek, who I am enjoying, but don't have any particular role attachment to. A temporary solution – I would prefer to flirt – but it should tide me over til December or whenever Makeb drops.

In their odd-thinking heads, saying ''no new info'' means, ''it will come soon''.

We were pressing hard for some indication as to whether information given in March was still reliable, given the staff changes at the BioWare Austin studio, the announced development emphasis of group content rather than story and the move to a Free to Play model. There was some concern at the time that the project had simply been abandoned.

Above that BioWare post from Joveth is a quote from an email I received from him, where he was able to go into more detail. We infer that there may be stringent policies in place regarding what the Community Team is permitted to discuss and that same-gender content falls under such provisions, although no one from BioWare has confirmed (or denied) this.

If I was a bit disingenous in presenting this thread here, I also wanted to give it a single-question focus. Things quickly get swamped in the thread in Story and Lore. Gabe A's remarks from Gamescom are the only update we have had from the Dev Team since March, but he seemed uncertain so I wanted that clarified. Oddly, that confirmation came via Twitter, not here, but then we seem to usually get our news indirectly. :rolleyes:

Edited by Uluain

While i'm not getting into the finer points of the issues why this is important to some people and not so much to others

(PvP? *snicker*), it comes down to story development. It comes down to ONLY story development time,

so it won't take any resources from your warzones, your operations or your precious freeflight space game you

so desperately need for this game to not be a total and utter failure.

As for the one who said there is no evidence in the movies or other sources: first off, Juhani in KOTOR.

Second, if you really want to go there, I'm sure they can change the SGR to some brother-sister kissing... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, I like Gabe, but I'd take everything he says that isn't regarding PvP with a barrel of salt.

While i'm not getting into the finer points of the issues why this is important to some people and not so much to others (PvP? *snicker*), it comes down to story development. It comes down to ONLY story development time,

so it won't take any resources from your warzones, your operations or your precious freeflight space game you

so desperately need for this game to not be a total and utter failure.

As for the one who said there is no evidence in the movies or other sources: first off, Juhani in KOTOR.

Second, if you really want to go there, I'm sure they can change the SGR to some brother-sister kissing... :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, I like Gabe, but I'd take everything he says that isn't regarding PvP with a barrel of salt.

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble following your reasoning here, you really do need to step away from the keyboard and think it through. People who "need" SGR (*snicker* did i get that right?) are just wasting devs time on sexual aspects that they cannot seem to live without..........anyhoo, like my post says, waste of man hours and precious dev time. All those looking to KOTOR for canon examples are spitting in the wind as KOTOR is hardly canon.......

If they do SGR, why not make it where we can romance the ship droid? Hey they need some love too. Especially the IMP one. He's so worried about being deactivated all the time I walk by him in the ship. What better way to show him he's safe by giving some good robot love, Bioware?

And where's the equality for T7?

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

When this feature is announced I will end my subscription (it's all hearsay at this point). However, adding this feature will cause many subs to be lost which you (BioWare) cannot account for. The quiet group of people who don't spend time on the game forums will leave once they realize the feature is being implemented. They won't provide lots of feedback or reasons, they'll just leave. Those who are willing to die on the hill of SGR will be the only few left. Apathy and blind passion never take you to a good place.

Mock me if you want, but when this feature is added the game will soon after diminish if not die out.

When this feature is announced I will end my subscription (it's all hearsay at this point). However, adding this feature will cause many subs to be lost which you (BioWare) cannot account for. The quiet group of people who don't spend time on the game forums will leave once they realize the feature is being implemented. They won't provide lots of feedback or reasons, they'll just leave. Those who are willing to die on the hill of SGR will be the only few left. Apathy and blind passion never take you to a good place.

Mock me if you want, but when this feature is added the game will soon after diminish if not die out.

yeah I remember how Mass Effect and Dragon age sales died as soon as people found out there were SGR in them... oh wait

And... I think they are really underestimating the number of subscriptions that will be lost over this. Just people people are making crazy statements of outrage doesn't mean they won't quit when this comes about. How many subs can they really afford to lose over something as trivial as this?

I find it rather amusing that people think that adding optional SGRs will either attract or cause the loss of any significant number of subs... the majority of players simply won't care either way

only the extreme vocal minority for or against care

Edited by Liquidacid

This feature would be...

- Purely voluntary to the player

- Completely invisible to the player if another player took that route

So in summary... You wouldn't have to do it and you would never see it if anyone else did it.

Thank you for reminding me that I am really thankful that I live somewhere that doesn't put an asterisk after the concept of "freedom for all".

For you perhaps, for some of us it's no. 1.

Congratulations, now you can have the gay version of the same super weak and ultra hollow thing disguised as a companion relationship in SWTOR.

Come on Company That Used To Be Bioware, compared to what you gave us in DA and ME, these relationships are sad. Stop being chickens and give us what you should have to begin with.

Actually, I am not even asking for that. We have known for over a year now that same-gender romance with companion characters is definitely coming as post-launch content.

I was asking whether a comment made by the lead PVP designer in a video interview was accurate, as he seemed in some doubt as to specifics. Although the answer came via Twitter, not here, that question has been answered. Same-gender romance will be part of the story content update that is coming with Makeb.

No one was asking if this should be in or why it isn't or why it should be. We know it's on the way this year. I was just trying to get some clarification as to when. That's been answered. We can let this go now.

Really. Seriously. Issue resolved.

Great... we don't have anything that resembles an actual space component like JTL... we don't have any kind of housing... we don't have open worlds... our characters can't even SIT IN CHAIRS FFS. Bet we get gay SWTOR. Awesome.

I bet they are sitting in a war room somewhere right now wondering why they are down to 8 servers and nobody is still playing. Wonderful job guys.

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

It's been pointed out that Hall Hood's confirmatory tweet has been yanked. So back into the dark we go. I thought I could lay this subject to rest but it seems we are not so fortunate.

So, BioWare Story Guys - can you confirm that SGRs will be in with Makeb, or not? Shifty backpedalling, giving then withdrawing info like this is not cool. Shenanigans! :mad:

So, BioWare Story Guys - can you confirm that SGRs will be in with Makeb, or not? Shifty backpedalling, giving then withdrawing info like this is not cool. Shenanigans! :mad:

Shenanigans indeed. It most definitely seems that Mr. Hood and Mr. Amatangelo said things they weren't supposed to and Bioware doesn't want to admit they're doing anything (or nothing, as it is). As much as I would like Bioware to do the decent thing and talk to us about this (and many other things besides), I don't expect it to happen. All we can do it pester them and all that gives us is twice-yearly "soon".

There are many, many things wrong with the game and how it is run and I would like Bioware to start being more open with us about this. I know it's not likely to happen, but maybe if Bioware started to talk to us like adults and be honest with honest with us, more of the community can start acting like adults.

Those that say SGR's shouldn't be a priority over other game play aspects need to not bother commenting. I don't PvP and never will yet I have no leg to stand on in going to the PvP forums and complaining that the attention they are getting is taking away from my PvE experience. (ie. bug fixes, FP fixes, Raid fixes, general alt leveling fixes)

SGR's should be in the game and they should be done correctly. People can then choose to explore them or not as they do with all other aspects of the game, PvP, Raids, FP's etc.

The OP was only asking for some clarity on a comment made by someone in the dev team, regardless of whether or not they work in the Story section- though that's all the more reason for official clarification.

Leave religion and personal bias out of this. You don't catch "the gay" because you have a [Flirt] dialogue option with a same-sex companion/NPC that you DO NOT HAVE TO CHOOSE. If "seeing" the option offends you, I suggest you do some soul searching.

Those that say SGR's shouldn't be a priority over other game play aspects need to not bother commenting. I don't PvP and never will yet I have no leg to stand on in going to the PvP forums and complaining that the attention they are getting is taking away from my PvE experience. (ie. bug fixes, FP fixes, Raid fixes, general alt leveling fixes)

Likewise I don't like space missions, but I don't whinge about people asking for the Super Secret Space Missions Project (now to be know as Snake-monkey Pirates!). This is something that should have been in the game at launch (like the LFG Tool, adaptive social armour and transferable set-bonuses) and we're pretty much only asking when Bioware intends to put it in and in what way.

I noticed any posts that disagree with this being a priority get instantly deleted. Cute.

How can you disagree with a proposition that hasn't been stated? No one is talking about putting this before any other content. We know it is coming at the pace that BioWare allocates development resources to it, and that it takes the time it takes to get done right. Anyone who has been paying attention has known since March that their ballpark target date for release is "this year". Anyone who knows MMOs know that estimated development time is notoriously fluid. We're okay with that. Really.

A senior developer remarked in an interview that he thinks SGRs are coming with Makeb. But he also admits that he is not really at all associated with story content – he really only has what he picked up from scuttlebutt. This frank statement was nice to hear. It doesn't pretend to offer anything it can't. Gabe is honest as to his uncertainty. The trouble is that this second-hand info via the water cooler is the only thing that BioWare has mentioned about SGRs since the Guild Summit. So wanting to clarify its accuracy doesn't seem unreasonable. That is what this thread is for.

Posts which are removed for attacking ideas we aren't promoting are removed because they are off topic and inflammatory. The topic is the Gamescom interview – not what content should have priority, not what belongs in game. It's about what Gabe Amatangelo said, about his uncertainty, and about wanting to know if Makeb is the content update we are looking for.