Did I hear this right?

Uluain

my 3 cr:

1. It sounded (to me at least) that they probably aren't "upgrading" the existing romances to be SGR compatible, but rather apparently adding new SGR companions.

2. I'm a hetero male, and am all in favor of SGR. Typically in games I prefer to play female characters, since I happen to like looking at the female form far more than at the male form (so sue me). But being hetero, I also only particularly like romancing the female types.

3. At this point, it's too late. Romancing the female types was more important than looking at the female form, so pretty much all my characters are male, and no interest in starting new characters over for scratch just for the romance options, even if they did retrofit them.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP Czar Gabe Amatangelo mentioned in a video interview recently that he thinks that the Makeb patch will also bring SGRs (finally!) to the game. But he also says that he's about as far away from Story as a developer can get, and is uncertain of how accurate his scuttlebutt might be.

Any chance we can get this confirmed / denied, since it is half-leaked already? :)

EDIT - the interview remarks I mention can be seen here:

What makes you think the PvP lead has any actual say in SGRs??? Besides, mentions, hints, ideas, etc =/= commitments to release on any given date or event. You should have learned this lesson already here IMO.

You are setting yourself, and the forum, up for another cycle of SGR anguish and rage IMO.

It will be released... WHEN it is released. Life will go on until then. LIfe will go on after as well. Just like every other anticipated feature release.

Edited by Andryah

It will be about on par with what romances we have in game right now. Daniel Erickson addressed the point you raise last March, when it had already been kicking around on the thread in Story & Lore for a while. Here's what he said at the Guild Summit when the developer panel addressed SGRAs:

This came immediately after his explanation that the delay would be over the long lead-time required by writers to produce content. There really has been little doubt of their approach to this since. What there have been are questions we are still waiting to have clarified (which I am leaving to the Story and Lore thread, as this one was just to address the Makeb rumors) and worries that this went off-track with the changes at BioWare Austin and the shift in game direction in the months since.

To those saying other content should come first, look - it is coming first. It already has and new operations and warzones will be out before Makeb, and when it comes Makeb will bring much more than this rounding-out of companion character romances that has been planned for since pre-launch. That same-gender content is slated for inclusion has never been a secret. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I am not saying it is the most important thing ever. I was just asking whether certain new information – the only thing that a developer has said about SGRs since March – was official. People ask these kinds of questions about pending content all the time. Don't blow this up into something bigger than that. It's just a game.

I apologize if you think I was trying to blow this up. I'm really not. I feel you have every right to ask what they have planned, and I hope you get a reply.

I personally can't understand why the need of romance is needed or wanted...it's just a blank screen with noises. The interwebs has plenty of options to fill that need for people, If they are gonna add it fine....But there are TONS of more important issues that should be WAY ahead of this.

I personally can't understand why the need of romance is needed or wanted...it's just a blank screen with noises. The interwebs has plenty of options to fill that need for people, If they are gonna add it fine....But there are TONS of more important issues that should be WAY ahead of this.

because it IS important to a large number of players, if you are not one, that's fine. You can be a fan of whatever content YOU are looking forward to. Importance of issues is subjective.

I apologize if you think I was trying to blow this up. I'm really not. I feel you have every right to ask what they have planned, and I hope you get a reply.

No, no TUXs - I should have been more clear. I was really making two separate points there. The first, that the delay has largely been because they won't flip the /gendercheck tag off and call it done – or they would have already, and this wouldn't be here. That was to you, and meant cordially.

The rest was just my response to where this thread has gone since, though perhaps I ought to have anticipated it. I was stunned at the very strong response to matters only tangental to the topic.

I like reading your forum posts in general even when I don't agree. You're fine.

What makes you think the PvP lead has any actual say in SGRs??? Besides, mentions, hints, ideas, etc =/= commitments to release on any given date or event. You should have learned this lesson already here IMO.

I don't think Gabe A. has any say at SRGs... but he did talk about them, which is unusual. Also, he does work on SWTOR. He hears office talk. He presented this in terms of clear uncertainty, and I totally get that and am grateful he felt it worthy of comment at all.

But, as you say, and he said, he's not involved in Story. So I was curious to see if there could be any corroboration of his remarks from those better informed. While not here on the forums, Lead Writer Hall Hood has in fact confirmed the statement, via Twitter, this morning. That's all I was looking for. :)

Edited by Uluain

because it IS important to a large number of players, if you are not one, that's fine. You can be a fan of whatever content YOU are looking forward to. Importance of issues is subjective.

The "LARGE" is what I take issue with, I highly doubt adding that would bring in more money than fixing things or adding game events or just about any thing really. And it is all about money you know..........

what good are new warzone maps when your competitors still cant see how you are feeling while participating in them? And who could honestly set their mood to "happy" when their companions armor is mismatched colors?

Their priority system totatlly makes sense...

Ahhh....I stand corrected good sir

The "LARGE" is what I take issue with, I highly doubt adding that would bring in more money than fixing things or adding game events or just about any thing really. And it is all about money you know..........

The SGR discussion thread is the largest thread on these forums, by a rather drastic ammount. Yes, the number of people looking forward to the SGR update is large. Whether is is larger than the ones looking forward to any other particular thing is irrelivent IMO since all signs are pointing to BW keeping their word and launching SGR with Makeb. It /will/ happen, whether or not you specifically think it /should/ is not my concern.

The SGR discussion thread is the largest thread on these forums, by a rather drastic ammount. Yes, the number of people looking forward to the SGR update is large. Whether is is larger than the ones looking forward to any other particular thing is irrelivent IMO since all signs are pointing to BW keeping their word and launching SGR with Makeb. It /will/ happen, whether or not you specifically think it /should/ is not my concern.

SGR threads (all of them) = 7075 total replies

Ability dealy threads (all of them) = 12,742 total replies

As vocal as the SGR threads are, they are nowhere near the most discussed topic on these forums.

No, no TUXs - I should have been more clear. I was really making two separate points there. The first, that the delay has largely been because they won't flip the /gendercheck tag off and call it done – or they would have already, and this wouldn't be here. That was to you, and meant cordially.

The rest was just my response to where this thread has gone since, though perhaps I ought to have anticipated it. I was stunned at the very strong response to matters only tangental to the topic.

I like reading your forum posts in general even when I don't agree. You're fine.

I don't think Gabe A. has any say at SRGs... but he did talk about them, which is unusual. Also, he does work on SWTOR. He hears office talk. He presented this in terms of clear uncertainty, and I totally get that and am grateful he felt it worthy of comment at all.

But, as you say, and he said, he's not involved in Story. So I was curious to see if there could be any corroboration of his remarks from those better informed. While not here on the forums, Lead Writer Hall Hood has in fact confirmed the statement, via Twitter, this morning. That's all I was looking for. :)

Thank you :) That's actually a really good point, and one I hadn't considered (if that were their plan, it could have been done by now). We all have our own desires for the game and I try to support every good idea, whether I'll benefit from it or not. SGR's are important to some and Bioware DID commit to developing for them...I truly hope you get exactly what you'd like.

As for Gabe...

I think he may have a larger role in SWTOR than he's getting credit for. He has several titles from the looks of things: Lead End-game Designer, Principal Lead PvP Designer, and Lead Game Designer...all similar, but only 1 refers to him as being PvP only. If Gabe says it, I think it's probably accurate.

If it's not your concern then why do you respond? and exaggerate all you want I bet there are many people in that thread that posted plenty of times... And look at the pvp forums there is WAY more activity there in more than just a single post....

If bioware adds it it will only prove their continued incompetence of what the majority of the players and future players would want.

Edited by Pvtcarnage

AS much as I want this to be true. I dont think Lucas Arts or George himself will allow this to happen.

I mean even Bioware backed out of it in Mass Effect.

Yeah... next thing you know he'd be making one of the coolest villains in history into a whiney mall rat named Annie.... hey wait a minute!

I mean even Bioware backed out of it in Mass Effect.

When? Mass Effect has always arguably had a lesbian s/s romance (FemShep/Liara), and introduced one bi and two s/s only Romances in ME3 earlier this year. Additionally, David Gaider (lead writer of Dragon Age) has been very vocal about his support for inclusion of s/s content in that franchise.

'Bioware' has a lot of examples of doing SGR in their games. SWTOR is a step backwards, at the moment.

sgr comes with makeb. Hk-51 comes with makeb = hk51 is sgr.

HK-51: "Targer acquired. Initiating hostilities."

Me: "I have a bad feeling about this..."

:D

'Bioware' has a lot of examples of doing SGR in their games. SWTOR is a step backwards, at the moment.

EA is actually pretty solid on this, too. Honestly, I think they just put their foot in it with where they decided to draw the line between what they could or could not get done, creating an unfortunate impression that it's difficult to move on from gracefully.

There's been some more willingness to communicate on the subject. This thread is still here - which is a change from how things have been.

To zoom out from this specific topic to communication in general, I know folks are still critical but I have been paying attention, and we are getting more information from the community team and the developers. Also, I think we are seeing fixes and additions to the game across the board – it's just hard to be patient with it.

Not trying to elbow SGR to the front of the line, just trying to get a clear idea of where it might be in line, so I can adjust my hopes accordingly. :)

Edited by Uluain

While I agree that SGR could and should have been included in SWTOR from the beginning, LGBT make up about 10% of the population and everything else they tried to get into the game probably made it lower on the priority list. I also agree with the poster above me who says that the SGRA thread pales in comparison to the number of posts/threads on the pvp side. I would take a new WZ over SGRA any day of the week. I would take 3 new WZS in the next 8 months and roll SGRA out for another year.

On the scale from 1 to 10 for priority. This is like 40 in importance.

Can not believe they are wasting time on developing this. :mad:

You give it a 40.. I give it a no score.. simply because it is not important ... those that wanna act out there sexual fantasies inside a video game would be better off renting a dvd or two instead.

If BW wanna waste time running down this story path then it will clearly show they are clueless on what's important and needed to avoid this game becoming the biggest crock of bantha fodder of all time.

Maybe when they can honestly say the subs are in a strong position and incresasing at a rate of knots each month, maybe then they could afford the time and effort to consider fluff to allow such players to act out there fantasies.. but lets be honest .. that day is far, far away

And if the day does come that they choose to implement this kinda of trash then it will be the last sub I give BEAWARE or Lucas

-sigh-

You do know that this content has players behind it who are not themselves LGBT, right? No? Well it does. This isn't to debate if it should be in (it will be) or how high a priority (less so than ops, warzones, flashpoints and non-fat butt jedi robes, obviously, as we are getting those first), but simply to determine if SGRs are part of the story content being released with Makeb. And it seems that indeed they are.

That's all - I was seeking follow-up on something Gabe Amatangelo said in an interview, but was himself unsure of. Just a question, not an agenda.

Yea, I can pretty say with certainty that most of the stuff they had planned for this year was pushed back a few months because of the team restructuring and layoffs. Just hope it wasn't canned entirely.

that and putting a ton of effort into creating the group finder and server transfer/consolidation. That stuff takes a LOT of time and man power.

that and putting a ton of effort into creating the group finder and server transfer/consolidation. That stuff takes a LOT of time and man power.

It's a different team handling that than writing, animating and recording the voice actors. Anyway, this has been in development for most of the year, alongside whatever else story-wise they have for Makeb. It may not make it in calendar 2012 – timeframes are notoriously uncertain – but it sounds from what we can piece together (which, given what little we have to go on, we have to) this is pretty much already done.