Did I hear this right?

Uluain

Wouldn't adding in SGR change the game rating to NC 17 or adults only? When buying the game parents need a flag raised cause lets face it most are clueless when it comes to there 10 year olds asking for a new game. With it being free to play soon there needs to be something to warn parents to the SGRs so they can make a decision. They can also look to see if theres adequate parental controls to block and such content if the want to...

Gotta remember lawsuites right now for SW:TOR would scare investors BIG TIME... This game doesnt need that kind of publicity... No matter how much you want this added. Imagine you had to pay off the angry parents who found out after the fact with no warnings or passworded parental controls...

They should just make a couple gay companions available to purchase through the cash shop. Problem solved. Now on to fixing the real game issues please.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should just make a couple gay companions available to purchase through the cash shop. Problem solved. Now on to fixing the real game issues please.

Yap. Real game issues is my vote. Would be nice instead of making politically correct changes just so they can say "see?! we HAVE it!!"

"IT'S NOT SOMETHING I WANT HOW DARE THEY NOT FOCUS ENTIRELY ON WHAT I WANT RAAARGH!" :rolleyes:

Oh, I think the opposition to this goes much deeper than some solipsistic, adolescent tantrum. It's more like,

"I DON'T WANT IT AND I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE IT SO I DON'T HAVE TO BE REMINDED THAT GAY PEOPLE EXIST!!!!"

"IT'S NOT SOMETHING I WANT HOW DARE THEY NOT FOCUS ENTIRELY ON WHAT I WANT RAAARGH!" :rolleyes:

That's all the anti arguments are made of. New companions for the SGR is more story/companion content. There was an article on WoW Insider that most players don't raid (and it'd be even less if the real population of WoW was polled, considering those that read fansites are more invested in the game). Odds are more people would experience the SGR over more OP's, yet you hear nothing on how they're wasted dev time. Odds are the team that is working on game content isn't invested in bug fixing, and won't halt them any longer than it has been. So really it comes down to if you want SGR or not. Considering they've been working on it for awhile now, I really doubt they're gonna can it.

Edited by odericko

Bioware has been doing full SGRs since Jade Empire (2005), it's nothing new for them.

It's always optional. A character might hint at something or sort of hit on you, there'll be a dialog choice to say you're not interested, and it stops there.

On the scale from 1 to 10 for priority. This is like 40 in importance.

Can not believe they are wasting time on developing this. :mad:

For you maybe, but for some of us it is more like a 2 or less. Don't assume that just because you want something that its somehow the most important thing ever.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it should have been in at launch, but really? Its a 40?

For you maybe, but for some of us it is more like a 2 or less. Don't assume that just because you want something that its somehow the most important thing ever.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it should have been in at launch, but really? Its a 40?

Err, the person you quoted was saying SGR was a waste of time, unless I'm reading it wrong. :confused:

Well if this is true this will be the end of the line for me. I've hung in there since beta, waited against the odds for the game to get better and live up to it's potential. However if they have been wasting resources for this instead of developing useful things to put in this game, I don't see the point of feeding them money anymore.

Well if this is true this will be the end of the line for me. I've hung in there since beta, waited against the odds for the game to get better and live up to it's potential. However if they have been wasting resources for this instead of developing useful things to put in this game, I don't see the point of feeding them money anymore.

I doubt anything they add could possibly be that in-depth. They'll just disable the /gendercheck and be done with it. That's what I'd do at least...that's equality right?

I doubt anything they add could possibly be that in-depth. They'll just disable the /gendercheck and be done with it. That's what I'd do at least...that's equality right?

I like how the negativity in this forum comes from people believing what they assume to be fact.

We don't know how they'll implement it, so no point in treading there as if you're sure of it.

I like how the negativity in this forum comes from people believing what they assume to be fact.

We don't know how they'll implement it, so no point in treading there as if you're sure of it.

Never said I was sure of anything, I even said "If it were me".

Never said I was sure of anything, I even said "If it were me".

They'll just disable the /gendercheck and be done with it.

Yea, never said you were sure of anything. :rolleyes:

Speculation is fine, but making up something to only support your claim destroys all merit.

Edited by odericko

Right. That's exactly what I said. That was what I think they'll do. What do you think they'll do?!

I'll think they'll add it how they did in DA2 and JE, how history has shown they'll do it. Definetly not a no /gendercheck as you said. We have no point to believe otherwise atm besides pure pessimism.

Edited by odericko

I'll think they'll add it how they did in DA2 and JE, how history has shown they'll do it. Definetly not a no /gendercheck as you said. We have no point to believe otherwise atm besides pure pessimism.

I wasn't trying to be pessimistic. I was honestly thinking it's the obvious solution. While it may be nice for folks like you who care to think they'll write you your very own story, I just don't see that as a plausible course, especially given the fact that the entire romance option (male or female) is already in-game. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

I wasn't trying to be pessimistic. I was honestly thinking it's the obvious solution. While it may be nice for folks like you who care to think they'll write you your very own story, I just don't see that as a plausible course, especially given the fact that the entire romance option (male or female) is already in-game. I'm not trying to be a jerk.

You don't see it as a course, but I do with reason. What the devs said when being questioned about it only affirms it. They said they don't want to "shoehorn" it in the game, they want to flesh it out and put the story in right. I really don't expect Bioware of all devs to slap a story in halfheartedly. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by odericko

In DA2, unlike other Bioware games, every romance companion was bi. It was stupid. Completely ignoring gender is exactly what they did.

The game reeked of cheapness and lazyness in every way (EA's influence no doubt), from the re-used areas, dumb battles (NPCs spawning from the buildings and even the sky to prolong battles), inventory items having the blandest icons ever, everybody in the world is bi, etc). It's exactly how NOT to do a game. I hope they've learned their lesson.

Edited by RAVM

You don't see it as a course, but I do with reason. What the devs said when being questioned about it only affirms it. They said they don't want to "shoehorn" it in the game, they want to flesh it out and put the story in right. I really don't expect Bioware of all devs to slap a story in halfheartedly. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Agreed. Given their history, I will urge you to keep your expectations in-check though.

In DA2, unlike other Bioware games, every romance companion was bi. It was stupid. Completely ignoring gender is exactly what they did.

The game reeked of cheapness and lazyness in every way (EA's influence no doubt), from the re-used areas, dumb battles (NPCs spawning from the buildings and even the sky to prolong battles), inventory items having the blandest icons ever, everybody in the world is bi, etc). It's exactly how NOT to do a game. I hope they've learned their lesson.

Ah, my bad I don't know why I put DA2 there, retract that with DA:O. Yea, I agree with all of that, DA2 was pretty horrible in those regards.

On the scale from 1 to 10 for priority. This is like 40 in importance.

Can not believe they are wasting time on developing this. :mad:

^ this

same goes for the time spent "fixing" companion gear colors and what not....give me some more warzones for pete sake.....grab any zone from any planet, cut the map in half, paste that half back on the other side so it is mirrored for republic spawn, and empire spawn...boom! new warzone map.

^ this

same goes for the time spent "fixing" companion gear colors and what not....give me some more warzones for pete sake.....grab any zone from any planet, cut the map in half, paste that half back on the other side so it is mirrored for republic spawn, and empire spawn...boom! new warzone map.

what good are new warzone maps when your competitors still cant see how you are feeling while participating in them? And who could honestly set their mood to "happy" when their companions armor is mismatched colors?

Their priority system totatlly makes sense...

It will be about on par with what romances we have in game right now. Daniel Erickson addressed the point you raise last March, when it had already been kicking around on the thread in Story & Lore for a while. Here's what he said at the Guild Summit when the developer panel addressed SGRAs:

We heard suggestions, and we do read the stuff, and let's talk a little about the stuff that we were not willing to do. We were not willing to go in and just change all the dialogue to work for the other gender. That is not writing. That is not good storytelling. When we do this, we want to do it right. We want to do it with the characters that it makes sense, that we always knew we actually wanted to do it for those.

This came immediately after his explanation that the delay would be over the long lead-time required by writers to produce content. There really has been little doubt of their approach to this since. What there have been are questions we are still waiting to have clarified (which I am leaving to the Story and Lore thread, as this one was just to address the Makeb rumors) and worries that this went off-track with the changes at BioWare Austin and the shift in game direction in the months since.

To those saying other content should come first, look - it is coming first. It already has and new operations and warzones will be out before Makeb, and when it comes Makeb will bring much more than this rounding-out of companion character romances that has been planned for since pre-launch. That same-gender content is slated for inclusion has never been a secret. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I am not saying it is the most important thing ever. I was just asking whether certain new information – the only thing that a developer has said about SGRs since March – was official. People ask these kinds of questions about pending content all the time. Don't blow this up into something bigger than that. It's just a game.

Edited by Uluain