SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

MOPSFounder

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not what Andryah said. Re-read that post.

If you don't like VO then why are you playing it? You should play those other games that don't hae it. Is what was said, more or less. I did not missunderstand it. So just because someone doesn't like that feature, they should go play another game? How do you justify that logic?

yup VO money should have gone into real gameplay,,a big waste of game resources

As much as i agree that the gameplay has big issues that need fixing, i have to 100% disagree with you here.

VO makes this game awesome. Going to be really hard to play a game without it after having experienced it here.

If you don't like VO then why are you playing it? You should play those other games that don't hae it. Is what was said, more or less. I did not missunderstand it. So just because someone doesn't like that feature, they should go play another game? How do you justify that logic?

Andryah's post was not that aggressive. It didn't say "You should ..." it asked "Why ..."

No. Most people I know will disagree on your opiion as they love the VO.

The problem is that they emphasized way too much on the voice-overs and cutscenes. Saitada said the voice-overs were superb the first few times around, but after the 3rd time around it got stale.

The development team sacrificed content and other things an MMO should have (or should have had as this game is sometimes known as a "single-multiplayer game") for voice-overs and cutscenes. I am one of those who spacebar through just about anything unless it's Story or cutscenes from new content, but after one run through the new content I escape/spacebar through it.

Voice-overs and cutscenes were such a double-edged sword for this game, just like the Story content.

No.

VO actually made myself and many other hooked to TOR.

You joined even though you knew you would not like it as much. You post is invalid.

His post is just as valid as other posts because it's his opinion. :rolleyes:

I also happen to agree with him. Just read my response to ScarletBlaze.

Edited by MOPSFounder

She actually makes sense. I never like the fantasy setting of wow and yes I tried it for a week and I left. It didn't appeal to me so instead of making a big production how things should be different based on my opinion I just left and went to find something more in line with what I like.

If a game is not to your liking it makes more sense to find something that is to your taste.

So they have to like it otherwise they should ****? What kind of a mindset you guys are in?

I too like the VO but there may be some who are uninterested in the story and are just here for futuristic game experience in Star Wars universe instead of fantasy setting mmo's.

With all due respect Ephesia, if you cannot read what I said and understand what I said without swinging off into hyperbole, there is nothing more that can be said.

Please go back and reread what I said, without injecting emotion and reaction into it.

[

QUOTE=MOPSFounder;5262638]The problem is that they emphasized way too much on the voice-overs and cutscenes. Saitada said the voice-overs were superb the first few times around, but after the 3rd time around it got stale.

The development team sacrificed content and other things an MMO should have (or should have had as this game is sometimes known as a "single-multiplayer game") for voice-overs and cutscenes. I am one of those who spacebar through just about anything unless it's Story or cutscenes from new content, but after one run through the new content I escape/spacebar through it.

Voice-overs and cutscenes were such a double-edged sword for this game, just like the Story content.

Well you see that is where my friends and I differ from you. We don't space bar no matter how many times we have seen the cutscenes. I have a friend that has seen them quite a few times and she still won't space bar. The voice overs is what makes this game unique and yes some may not like it but they can't say they didn't know about the voice overs. This is one item that bioware stressed over and over that is would be voice overs.

Is there things that can be improved. Yes but does that mean the voice overs were a waste of resources No.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Honestly, anyone that feels VO was a waste, why are you playing this game then? Why not go play a game you actually enjoy that is free of VO?

Her quote now where does she actually say you should? She doesn't she asks a simple question.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

how would i know, how VOs work in mmos, without trying it?

no , they sold a underperforming game

and until they fix it, or my sub expires, i will keep complaining

u might be ok with paying for substandard quality, but im not

specially since this is (or should be) STAR WARS,,that name should still mean something

i agree with u completly... And for me personaly i do not care have this game has 5 mil or 500 k subs...i an having a good time and my guild has also. And i am sure that f2p was a good choise.

The OP is in my point of vieuw to pessimistic and narrow minded. This is a game who have some pvp/pve and it is not focust on one aspect. Sure for the pure pvper or the pure pveer it will not be suffient. But i enjoy some pvp and some pve so i like it alot and have my hands full :)

Too bad swtor can't handle large pvp fights like wow or any other mmorpg. This applies to large pve raids too.

There are at least 240 players in most of those battles. I like to see swtor even have half those numbers, but as ilum has proven swtor engine can't handle large number of players in combat in a small area. That's what happens when you have a poorly optimize programming or poorly coded.

That's why most of the pvpers left for gw2 or went back to wow. Had ilum worked the situation would be different at least for the pvpers and pvp servers.

Actually, I was just reading about that pvp video consisted of 5 40 man raids for horde who assaulted the Sargeras sw gates and gs. Thus, consisted of at lest 200 players for horde against at least one full 40 alliance raid, but probably a lot bigger for 4 hours. This game can't even handle 40 vs 40 much less any thing over 200 players.

Oh? I sugest you play said "all other MMO's" cause you dont know what you're talking about.

I'll grant you battlegrounds on WoW work well, but they do on SWTOR aswell. Alterac valley is the biggest player and stable pvp zone i have played. But, lets not get started on wintergrasp, tol barad, etc. And any of GW2 lag fests.

Also, lets realise that for all its stability, WoW sports some of the worst graphics on videogames at the moment. Seriously? Why are we still accepting N64 quality graphics is beyond me...

Edited by Nemmar

i agree with u completly... And for me personaly i do not care have this game has 5 mil or 500 k subs...i an having a good time and my guild has also. And i am sure that f2p was a good choise.

The OP is in my point of vieuw to pessimistic and narrow minded. This is a game who have some pvp/pve and it is not focust on one aspect. Sure for the pure pvper or the pure pveer it will not be suffient. But i enjoy some pvp and some pve so i like it alot and have my hands full :)

You should.

With 5,000,000 subs this game would get a vast amount of developement.

With 500,000 subs it will likely be put into maintance mode.

IMO, until they see they need repeatable sandboxy style content, customization options that reach far beyond what they currently offer and find a way to stop breaking things at the level they continually do so the path will remain less fruitful then it could be for the game overall.

I have listed many MANY times what I feel the game needs. Been saying so since Beta. More high level end game and on rails space missions is not in that list.

IMO, until they see they need repeatable sandboxy style content, customization options that reach far beyond what they currently offer and find a way to stop breaking things at the level they continually do so the path will remain less fruitful then it could be for the game overall.

I have listed many MANY times what I feel the game needs. Been saying so since Beta. More high level end game and on rails space missions is not in that list.

Yeah, but as things stand the next 12 months are looking like cashshop novelities. :(

• 3 weeks later...
You should.

With 5,000,000 subs this game would get a vast amount of developement.

With 500,000 subs it will likely be put into maintance mode.

Agree here completely.

The other poster thinks I'm being too pessimistic, but I'm a player kinda like him. I'm overall more PvP, but if my guildies are down I will PvE because I find that enjoyable, too, at times.

But from what you posted, Goretzu, that's how I find this game to be. From the 2 rounds of layoffs that happened at BioWare and diminishing amount of subs, I see this game being put through maintenance mode. We have EAWare mostly focusing on the November launch for F2P, killing their current subscribers who intend to leave (both come back again or not) or have already left.

Also—I hope EAWare realizes the only way their F2P shop will work is if people buy the currency to spend in the game for more features. I've seen many people ask time and time again, "When will F2P come?", or something along the lines. It seems like a majority of these people don't want to pay a subscription because all they want to experience is the Story of all the classes and that's it. And if that's the case, EAWare won't be making much profit from F2P.

If F2P fails, what will happen to SWTOR? Only time will tell, but I'll be happy as can be if things improve tenfold. :)

MAY

Oh, yeah? The future is still uncertain? Aw, gee. Thanks for sharing your speculations!

Well, in my opinion the game remains in beta state, though it has improved since launch. F2P, IMO, will be a huge improvement and finally bring widespread appeal, again IMO.

I was in a funk for a long while until testing out the F2P option, and I find myself as hopeful as I was prior to launch. And this surprised me. I am a rather harsh critic of the game.

So...F2P could right the boat. We will see.

I'm sorry but I had a hard time getting past the first paragraph. Inflated numbers? Based on what information? What do you have that proves their numbers were lower than what they said they were?

Wasn't it told that sub numbers included the free trial accounts too?

Well, in my opinion the game remains in beta state, though it has improved since launch. F2P, IMO, will be a huge improvement and finally bring widespread appeal, again IMO.

I was in a funk for a long while until testing out the F2P option, and I find myself as hopeful as I was prior to launch. And this surprised me. I am a rather harsh critic of the game.

So...F2P could right the boat. We will see.

It's funny how after more than 6 months into release, people are still saying this game is in its beta stage which in turn means that this game has been in maintenance mode ever since its release. :p

I hope F2P will be a step in the right direction and that they stick to their word by releasing at least something every 6 weeks. If that happens to fail, I can expect this game to lose a lot more subs and only will the fanboys and niche community stay. :(