SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

MOPSFounder

It's funny how after more than 6 months into release, people are still saying this game is in its beta stage which in turn means that this game has been in maintenance mode ever since its release. :p

I hope F2P will be a step in the right direction and that they stick to their word by releasing at least something every 6 weeks. If that happens to fail, I can expect this game to lose a lot more subs and only will the fanboys and niche community stay. :(

Honestly this games release schedule has been much more fairer and steadier then other MMO's so I guess I can take your concern their with a grain of salt. But remembering to other starting MMO's and even thinking about how they are doing currently I can still say with confidence they aren't fairing any better.

The MMO industry is taking hits, as most playerbases just drop out of playing a game full time and start a casual play time to the game when compared to the current live steaming technology of receiving entertainment. For me I go back from DCUO to this game every once in a while. I just find these games far more rewarding with my old love for WoW in the ground because of its greedy attitude towards customers and its cheap approach for development mixed with excuses.

I still say this game needs a lot of work, but compared to other MMO's atm you can say that about all them.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These numbers were inflated because of the "one month extra sub" EAWare gave to the community during 1.2 and for the game's retail box. Here you go and here you go. The EA investor calls made these sub reports BEFORE these free months ended for those that were still subscribed but were not playing.

I never exactly stated EAWare has done so far is tainted and/or worthless. Please quote me on that if I've said that in the OP. Also, if you think a lot of what I've said is nothing but subjective then boy, you got another thing coming. I did a lot of research on this and I have provided links to prove many of this factual information! That is why a lot (NOT ALL) of this is objective.

:cool:

So free months might be true for subscriptions levels, nothing says the 2 million boxes sold isn't true and that was part of the "Numbers were inflated" statement.

The game made back its initial investment with retail sales alone, and still is making a comfortable profit even with the "low amount of subscribers". Subscribers are less than january and march, sure. But nothing says you need to have 20 million subscribers to be successful, that is media mentality and it is hyperbole to get people to watch their broadcast or read their articles.

So free months might be true for subscriptions levels, nothing says the 2 million boxes sold isn't true and that was part of the "Numbers were inflated" statement.

The game made back its initial investment with retail sales alone, and still is making a comfortable profit even with the "low amount of subscribers". Subscribers are less than january and march, sure. But nothing says you need to have 20 million subscribers to be successful, that is media mentality and it is hyperbole to get people to watch their broadcast or read their articles.

But I do know that we're way better off with 5 million sub rather than 500k. It does make a difference! :p

I also know to watch out for hyperbole! ;)

But I do know that we're way better off with 5 million sub rather than 500k. It does make a difference! :p

I also know to watch out for hyperbole! ;)

Better off yes, but they are still making enough money to keep this game alive. So as for a dark path, the only dark path I see is the one in front of my Juggernaut.

Well, I still think there are many improvements that are desperately needed for the long term health of the game.

The engine needs an overhaul. It really does IMO. It just doesnt support multiplayer play, and this is disastrous for an MMO from my perspective. It also runs pretty lousy on quite a few graphics setups.

Many of the graphics problems have been fixed, but many still remain. The models need a once over, and graphics quality needs to improve (and is improving, a bit at a time).

They are breaking far too many things when they patch the game, and far too many bugs persist that I feel give the game an unfair cheap feel....like the lightsaber bug. Animation glitches in flashpoints.

Combat is still a bit clunky, though it has improved immensely since launch.

Gear should have stayed orange IMO. This was a really bad move, and I think the game should move toward all armor having the ability to be converted to Orange armor.

LFG is still pretty buggy. It works most of the time, but can be a bit buggy at times...it needs some tweaking.

The GTN needs a complete overhaul. Only one specific search method works, you cant simply pull up the GTN as a new player and get a list of all items available, then whittle them down like most games. There has been improvement here, but the entire left pane of the GTN needs to be redone IMO so you open it up, items are listed. There should be little to no learning curve for a game market.

Ships need an overhaul. They should be our homes. I feel we should be able to decorate them inside and out, they should have doors, and we should have missions that run INSIDE THE SHIPS. They also need turrets IMO.

They must add a free flight BF2 style space battleground to space combat, and convert the current space combat to multiplayer.

We need chat bubbles IMO. You should be able to shut them off, but it is vital to the game.

We need the ability to redesign our look, transfer to another server, personally involve ourselves in crafting, have a mission generator (details in my sig), should be able to sit and lay down, swim and the like.

They should open up planets like Taris, and make all planets less linear overall (often favorites cited are Korriban, Hoth and Tatooine. I think the latter two are cited for their open nature).

There are probably more good suggestions, but I feel the ones I listed above are vital for the health of the game.

Well, I still think there are many improvements that are desperately needed for the long term health of the game.

The engine needs an overhaul. It really does IMO. It just doesnt support multiplayer play, and this is disastrous for an MMO from my perspective. It also runs pretty lousy on quite a few graphics setups.

Many of the graphics problems have been fixed, but many still remain. The models need a once over, and graphics quality needs to improve (and is improving, a bit at a time).

They are breaking far too many things when they patch the game, and far too many bugs persist that I feel give the game an unfair cheap feel....like the lightsaber bug. Animation glitches in flashpoints.

Combat is still a bit clunky, though it has improved immensely since launch.

Gear should have stayed orange IMO. This was a really bad move, and I think the game should move toward all armor having the ability to be converted to Orange armor.

LFG is still pretty buggy. It works most of the time, but can be a bit buggy at times...it needs some tweaking.

The GTN needs a complete overhaul. Only one specific search method works, you cant simply pull up the GTN as a new player and get a list of all items available, then whittle them down like most games. There has been improvement here, but the entire left pane of the GTN needs to be redone IMO so you open it up, items are listed. There should be little to no learning curve for a game market.

Ships need an overhaul. They should be our homes. I feel we should be able to decorate them inside and out, they should have doors, and we should have missions that run INSIDE THE SHIPS. They also need turrets IMO.

They must add a free flight BF2 style space battleground to space combat, and convert the current space combat to multiplayer.

We need chat bubbles IMO. You should be able to shut them off, but it is vital to the game.

We need the ability to redesign our look, transfer to another server, personally involve ourselves in crafting, have a mission generator (details in my sig), should be able to sit and lay down, swim and the like.

They should open up planets like Taris, and make all planets less linear overall (often favorites cited are Korriban, Hoth and Tatooine. I think the latter two are cited for their open nature).

There are probably more good suggestions, but I feel the ones I listed above are vital for the health of the game.

Nice analysis! :)

The analysis was very fair to the game, in my opinion, and I would have probably gone on a book report and criticize this game to the letter (this thread doesn't really count :p), but I feel like EAWare will take months or even years to implement so many of the great ideas I've read on these forums. It's a shame, really. :(

Edited by MOPSFounder

Better off yes, but they are still making enough money to keep this game alive. So as for a dark path, the only dark path I see is the one in front of my Juggernaut.

It's odd because they said they needed at least 500k subs to keep this game profitable. I wonder how that will change when the demographic of players changes to subscribers and those buying things off the Cartel Shop.

If there's any "Dark Path" that may hit this game, I believe it'll be the Cartel Shop not making enough revenue and subscriptions still bleeding. I believe that could happen because I've seen many posts in the Unsubscriber's Thread where many are hesitant to leave but will do so if some things don't improve, and I've noticed that many of those who always ask when F2P will come pretty much only want to experience the Story and nothing more.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...