Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

To me it is not about the ping. Im living in Singapore and moving to the US servers will not affect me much, but what concerns me is the move of a whole community into another will really disrupt lots of things. Lots of my guild mates already think of unsubbing and some are from my raid group. It is so hard to find quality raiders and not to mention gel + bond as a team. We might as well disban the raid and call it.

Bioware keeps failing in their marketing aspect. One of their major failures is not listening to the community. What is most ammusing was their claims that they heard many voices and suggestions for the 3 APAC servers to merge as one. Then came out with an excuse about different play styles.

I'd say why not set up a poll in APAC servers for people to vote before they login to get a response if we wish to merge with American servers or merge within APAC ? Do not decide for us rather let us decide for ourselves. There is already 500+ people signing the petition and hoep they open their eyes to see it.

Edited by LuthanieI
Missed out some points

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: Originally Posted by SupaHsuB

Hear me out for a second eric.

1. Give free transfers to all on APAC.

2. Everyone from Darnala and Gav Daragon transfer over to Dalborra.

3. Merge the remaining data/players to dalborra after a few weeks.

4. Profit!!!

THIS IS WHAT WE ALL WANTED YOU TO DO. SIMPLE.

^This.

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

We have also seen some concerns that we “haven’t considered what NA West’s populations are at offpeak times.” Actually, this is part of the reason we are making the decision to move APAC into NA West. Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts. Meaning that even during offpeak NA times, the APAC players should see an increase in population after the transfers/merges.

-eric

Got nothing to say about the "less than optimal gameplay experience" we'll get stuck with, as a result of your cost-cutting?

Hopefully the people who don't give a crap about service, just wait-times, are happy at least - I tried copying their logic last night, by storming out of a quality restaurant that had a long line-up and got a greasy petrol-station burger for dinner instead. I may have subsequently contracted E. Coli, but who cares? "I didn't have to wait long, so the actual quality is a moot point. My parents were too lazy to teach me the concept of patience."

Edited by Palar

I wanted to give an update on some things and answer some questions we have seen in the thread. First, one of the things we have seen multiple people suggest is that if we are going to merge the APAC servers into the NA West servers that we should give you the option to choose which NA West server you transfer to. Knowing that some APAC players have existing characters and Legacies on some NA West servers already, we agree. When we open free transfers we will allow you one time transfer from your current APAC server to any one of the NA West servers. Note: The actual server merges themselves will still happen based on server type, so once we open transfers make sure you move all of your characters to the server you want before the merge happens.

We have also seen some concerns that we “haven’t considered what NA West’s populations are at offpeak times.” Actually, this is part of the reason we are making the decision to move APAC into NA West. Currently the equivalent NA West servers are seeing higher populations at offpeak times than their APAC counterparts. Meaning that even during offpeak NA times, the APAC players should see an increase in population after the transfers/merges.

-eric

If you can do this why can't you allow ppl transfer to Dalborra first and see how the pop goes? Other wise just admit this is a financial decision nothing more!

-eric

Eric Musco,

"wanted to give an update on some things" Did you not see the hundreds of posts asking for you to merge all APAC servers??? its funny how you totally ignore what the majority are asking... why dont you address that issue instead of beating around the bush

We want the apac servers merged.

Why can't you just admit the motivation for this decision has nothing to do with enhancing our player experience and is bean counters pushing dollars around.

Stop lying.

Either listen to the community and do what we want or admit you don't care what we want and do whatever your bean counters want, but stop telling us you're doing us a favour.

Find this quote on page 433, also please check out my signature

4. Profit!!!

Just like Eric said, the reason they are not merging APAC servers is because there is NOT enough population to justify doing so. If they did in fact merge all the servers its like kicking the can down the road. In a few months people will be complaining about server populations again. They are doing what unfortunately will be the end result which is merging the servers into NA servers.

When populations of games decrease this is what happens folks. If pings were top priority over population this thread wouldn't have even been made.

He posts at 5:30am our time then sneaks away like a coward .

Eric read the f***king thread.

lol nice thing to wakeup to, Eric isn't the one making the decisions so why flame him he just does what bioware tell him if he doesn't he will be down the road.

-eric

The first paragraph is progress. The second one then deteriorates. While I'm happy for some form of reply, you're still not actually addressing the fact we don't want to change in the first place. Don't ignore your community, please, Bioware!

You pretend to hear but you're not listening.

-eric

Bullocks Eric. Do you think we are a pack of re-tards? That we cannot do simple math or calculate the population on the destination servers via the tools you have given us?

We are not freaking idiots. We know what the population is like, we can see it for ourselves.

See my post earlier in this thread for picture proof. If master darnala goes to Dalborra then we actualy get a better experience than that on Baistion. Lower ping, higher population, and MORE 50's.

Stop feeding us these rubbish excuses and tell us straight. Don't insult our intelligence, that will permanently lose you customers.

Yeah Bioware..... a huge improvement for us.

Just look at that. The same number of people in fleet as normal(Before the APAC closure announcement), but 4 times the lag.

You guys are awesome.....

Who ever makes your decisions should be fired, cos he is bad at them. This solution hardly benefits people on master darnala. A merge with Dalborra is obviously the best choice.

Bastion at 11:45pm NZ time which is 9:45pm Australian time. Notice how there are practically no 50's on.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/hoarus_2008/Screenshot_2013-03-27_23_49_45_649928.jpg

Master Darnala (after APAC Announcement) Mostly 50's on fleet.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/hoarus_2008/Screenshot_2013-03-28_00_02_23_987303.jpg

Dalborra

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/hoarus_2008/Screenshot_2013-03-28_00_00_31_340860-1.jpg

Edited by Yndras

How will the merge handle character names? Are we guaranteed to lose them to existing players or will factors (e.g. activity and/or time played) be taken into account? I assume character transfers will have no rights over existing players.

And what about refunds for RotHC pre-orders for those who find either option unacceptable?

i think the way they did the second mergers will happen with this one too , so some people already on the 3 US servers will have to change some names again too , I'm sure they will be happy about that. I can't even bring myself to tell my friend who's on the Harbinger.

I would have thought keeping one APAC server would be a great solution , you could split up the different communities into instances on said server and give them the option of changing instances if the population on one is low. Say 2 instances for PVP , 2 for PVE etc

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

He posts at 5:30am our time then sneaks away like a coward .

Eric read the f***king thread.

Stop with the personal hate against the messenger. Seriously. Get that you're annoyed, but don't attach it to the guy that has the really unfortunate job of telling an angry and disheartened community news they don't want to hear.

4. Profit!!!

Ditto!!

At least give 1 APAC server a shot before booting us over to the US. If this was the known outcome from the people who complained, they may have held back. It just seemed like common sense would have us all merged into 1 server.

Commonsense seems to be something they are short on

Edited by Macropodmum

APAC COMMUNITY ANNOUNCMENT:

Please check your server forum (Gav Daragon/Dalborra/Master Dar'Nala) for your dedicated thread. I have made one for each community.

etc

APAC Servers Forever.

Sounds good..but 1 possible issue. We did a few things like this in EQ1 and WoW..it ended up crashing the servers in population overload.

Edited by Jinsali

Lol ,at least it would show them we had a population :rolleyes:

Hypothetically speaking..we should just go do it on Harbinger at US prime time, then when the server collapses because it can't handle all the new player input, see what happens (not that I condone such action), but it would see if the server can handle the extra input of ?how many new characters?

or

we all log on before their prime time and sit at fleet and do nothing for 8 hours have the yanks put up with the queue times to get in

Edited by Jinsali

Hypothetically speaking..we should just go do it on Harbinger at US prime time, then when the server collapses because it can't handle all the new player input, see what happens..

Because that represents the time of day you will actually play?

OIC..... a disruptive protest.

Problem is all you will do is trigger a queue on the server login. Servers have safeguards precisely for the hypthetical reason you suggested.

Since the APAC servers will be going away I wonder what steps if any BW could take to reduce the latency for Aussie players. Is the game traffic (and not just the authentication handshake) between the SWTOR game client and BW's servers encrypted, and if not could it be encrypted in order to gain a higher priority on ISP QoS traffic shaping tables?

Many ISPs offer differentiated services where customers can pay an additional fee on top of their monthly sub in order to gain benefits like lower latency on gaming traffic. I wonder if BW could negotiate with the relevant ISPs in order for them to up the priority on SWTOR traffic coming from APAC.

Of course, players have client-side options for reducing latency. Those who are tech savvy can setup their own SSH tunnel on a spare PC / virtual machine. Others can pay $4-6/month for a SSH tunneling service. But many are not willing to pay for that or setup their own tunnel so if BW can find a way or assume a bit of cost (now that they will save a bundle when APAC servers go away) to help traffic latency that would be a smart move and nice gesture from my point of view.

Edited by Projawa

Because that represents the time of day you will actually play?

OIC..... a disruptive protest.

Problem is all you will do is trigger a queue on the server login. Servers have safeguards precisely for the hypthetical reason you suggested.

yeah thats why I put in the OR.. probably was in edit when you posted, which can be done on a weekend morning.

edit: as to safe guards. WoW has those same queue time safeguards as well... but when you have 400-500 people all sitting in the one zone..it tends to get very very choppy due to overload on graphical input.

damn i remember a time we did the running of the bulls from ThunderBluff to Stormwind...400 taurens running along. Lagged the zones as we passed through badly.

Edited by Jinsali