Creative new idea! Could it be the new hope to WPVP? You decide

LG_XxLegacyxX

I recently posted a topic within the PvP forums titled "Open World PvP - Saving WPvP from its death." Just a few days ago this topic was deleted, including a similar topic called "Sith in Anchorhead Bastion server."

Both these topics described Open World PvP scenarios where Imperial characters successfuly bipassed the exhaustions zone in Anchorhead, and were able to get in and start attacking Repubs.

My first question, is why were these deleted? Yes these forum topics may have leaked information about bad design flaws, i.e. Imperial's being able to get past the exhaustion zones; but really, this caused great open pvp that many people enjoyed!

I would like to see both exhaustion zones taken out of Mos Ila and Anchorhead, and replaced with mine fields. With these mine fields in place, the only way an opposing faction could enter the city, would be for them to scan the area for mines. After successfuly scanning and maneuvering through the mine field, opposing faction players would then have to control sentry turrets through out the cities. These turrets would then attack enemies for whom ever team captured it. It would do minimal damage, and instead of being a dominating force on the battle ground, it would be shooting at NPC's that would try to bring the turrets health down, or at players running by. This would create a nuisance that would encourage players to re-capture the turrets, therfore creating World PvP.

As an extended nuisance, these sentry turrets could be re-programmed to shoot buildings that could supply anti-turret weaponry, like the missles used on Ilum to destroy the ground walkers. Many things could be done.

As a loyal player, this would be awesome to see, and I definetley encourage people to read this post and share it.

Tell me what you think of my idea above. Could it be implemented in? Would it be fun?

Edited by LG_XxLegacyxX

One thing which you need to keep in mind is that some of us like playing on PVE servers because we want to do the story content in our own pace without other players interfering, so it would still need to have some way for it to be optional and in an area separate from where people need to go.

That said, I really like the idea of something like this, having a open world PVP area with some kind of objectives, close to the areas where there are lots of people. I think it would help to make the world feel much more alive.

One thing which you need to keep in mind is that some of us like playing on PVE servers because we want to do the story content in our own pace without other players interfering, so it would still need to have some way for it to be optional and in an area separate from where people need to go.

That said, I really like the idea of something like this, having a open world PVP area with some kind of objectives, close to the areas where there are lots of people. I think it would help to make the world feel much more alive.

That's why I said that the turrets would do minimal damage and attack NPC's mostly/weapon cache buildings.

We dont need more objective based pvp.

What we need and want is a pure deathmatch

I disagree. To me Star Wars has been all about telling stories, through the battles at Yavin, to the Death Star, to Endor, there has always been an objective the Rebels saught after. Same with the imperials. Lord Vader trying to recover the Death Star plans.

No matter the analegy. What I'm trying to say is that a deathmatch is too easy. All you would need to do is put a bunch of players in an arena, and let them fight. Isn't that what the Outlaws Den was? At least with Ilum there was something to do in between, and you could earn reward commendations for doing it including dailies. Same thing could be done with the innovative Tatooine WPvP expirience.

Deathmatch is something for console gamers, lol. Or maybe you would like CS:GO. That has competetive deathmatch in it!

Open world PvP is by itself, a failing idea.

Doesn't work -- I guarantee it.

Try coming up with ideas concerning large-scale, scripted PvP. That's the future.

Are you saying, just making a bigger warzone and give it more story? It seems like that's what I'm understanding from what you posted. Got any ideas?

Are you saying, just making a bigger warzone and give it more story? It seems like that's what I'm understanding from what you posted. Got any ideas?

A DOTA style 16 or even 32 person warzone. The idea can be expanded upon, but i think it could work in TOR.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

A DOTA style 16 or even 32 person warzone. The idea can be expanded upon, but i think it could work in TOR.

Exactly that, scripted walkers/tanks slowly going to opposite teams base. Players protect their own while defeating the enemy waves. Simple but lots of tactical choices. I've seen some excellent, detailed versions of this idea over the last 8-9 months but like so many TOR subscribers they have slowly drifted away to be forgotten.

Open world PVP promises is what brought MANY people to this game initially.

The faction balance on PVP servers is typically 5:1 + Imps vs. Repub, which would have to be addressed by some kind of live planet count/limits, which would also help lag issues. Warzone instances ended up being easier to control for numbers/lag, but that's the lazy way out. The "super warzone" idea, maybe with the feeling of being on a whole planet might work, but what happens when the numbers drop off, or is this a queued event idea?

Shooting (and building) structures is always fun, as are random world boss spawns to compete for. Even MORE so would be expensive but a game saver... SPACE PVP! Sell it as an expansion like Sony and Funcom did? Make it a pre-order item like Apple did :D

Exactly that, scripted walkers/tanks slowly going to opposite teams base. Players protect their own while defeating the enemy waves. Simple but lots of tactical choices. I've seen some excellent, detailed versions of this idea over the last 8-9 months but like so many TOR subscribers they have slowly drifted away to be forgotten.

Ok I get that, i'm liking that idea. A warzone that not only has players PvPing, but NPC's. Like tanks would be shooting each other, etc? Yeah, I like that. Would you be able to drive one though?

Maybe there should be a warzone map where you have to protect the Jedi temple, like in the E3 trailer. It could have a bigger warzone. A battle ground outside, then one inside...

Maybe?

Yesterday my guild wanted to go do nightmare pilgrim.

Ofc do due the new amount of server merges and high population, there were 2 rep guilds there attempting to get him down. (we are imps)

To bad for them some of their members were pvp flagged.

We decided to engage them (5 vs 16 (not all flagged but hey)) and we actually ended up having more fun then we would have doing NP.

This game needs open world pvp to survive.

Im thinking something like the battle on Hoth for an epic battle to capture an enemy base. large scale(like AV, i know i mentioned that game :eek: ). I'm also hoping for a large space expansion in the future like SWG did in Jump to Lightspeed. Space pvp was was quite fun, and unlocking unique ships was great!

I don't know if any of you played Star Wars Battlefront: 2, but in there, there were some great maps.

How about making a Jedi Temple warzone map for PvP. Have Sith start out in a Republic Cruiser hijacked ship, and the Repubs in the main archives, and recreate a warzone based on the E3 cinematic trailer. Not only would the battle be inside, but also on multiple levels, rooms, outdoors near the entrance etc. You could make objectives to have repubs protect certain book shelves etc. Just like in battlefront.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Man, where were all you guys when I suggested this in the Suggestions forum?

World PvP that is treated like a recurring world event. Special instances of Korriban and Tython where both factions play. The storyline is that one faction is invading the other. Notifications go out to all players, "Defend the home planet!" or "Strike now to crush the enemy!"

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=534036

Between the smaller planet and the world event setup we should be able to bring alot of players in.

Since this thread is getting popular traffic, I took the liberty to post your thread Kerensk.

All ideas are Kerensk's and not mine. Enjoy!

I was back on Tython for some later class missions and saw all the young noobs frolicking in the grass and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if all the Sith swooped down and utter chaos reigned?"

And that gave me an idea for a need world event: Turn the Force sensitive home planets into temporary world PvP areas for a day or so. (I know its long but try to picture it with me).

It would play out like this:

• Only 1 world at a time would be invaded, Tython or Korriban. The other would be hit in a "Counter attack" a few days later.
  • The invaded planet would be able to host both factions for the duration of the event. This way our Juggernauts could finally stand triumphantly in the Jedi Halls; or our Commandos could blast the Sith over the cliffs of Korriban. The data is already on our computers, the edits for the world event would be minimal, just add enemy spawn points to shuttle down, maybe some speeders, and many medical centers.
  • The world would play like any other world PvP but being smaller conflicts would be more common rather than searching for the enemy.
  • The Space Dock would go on red alert. The music stops, replaced by a the command to head to the invasion planet immediately, either to defend it or to attack it (depending on the faction and planet).
  • All players on other worlds would receive a notice (repeated every 30mins?) to proceed to the planet immediately regardless of their location.
  • But participation is optional, other than the notification and the intercom announcing the invasion all is the same as it usually is.
  • All players and all levels would be encouraged to join. Maybe shorten the respawn timers so lower levels don't spend the majority of their time at the med center. Possibly even boost stats similar to PvP warzones.
  • In comparison to the past world events this would be much smaller and shorter but can happen multiple times. More of a random event to shake things up some days.
  • If too many people swarm the planet it can be divided into multiple instances like anything else.
  • My basic idea would be simply to have people fight PvP style; but It wouldn't be too hard to add bunkers or forts to conquer and defend for more dynamic play (similar to the old SW Galaxies galactic conflict). The more bunkers held by a faction the more bonus commendations they get, but the more offense and healing bonuses the underdog faction gets.

Major problems to over come:

• Balancing the levels between opposing factions in battles. Perhaps have certain level toons spawn on planet at certain areas near similar levels of the opposing faction; 10-20 in one area, 20-30 in an area further north, 30-40 north of that, 40-49, 50's at the top, etc. You're welcome to wander the map but the players in another area may be more powerful, so get a posse together.
  • The poor noobs being bloodied on their first day. Personally I think it would be great to just mix them in but for first time players it may be best to keep a normal instance of the planet separate from the event. The only way to join would be to level to the point they get to fleet then return to the planet for the battles.
  • Some people would inevitably miss a 24 hour event (technically 48 hour since the other faction planet would be hit soon after). The idea would be that this could happen multiple times throughout the year and would just be a periodic thing that may crop up when least expected. Obviously Bioware would announce it on the website/facebook/twitter, the rest of us would tell our friends to jump in and join the defense (or attack).
  • Items. With it being short lived the only things to win may be a title, or some blue and purple items. This doesn't have to be so complicated that people are pissed that they were only able to get 4 pieces of armor in a 5 piece set before the event ended. Since the event can happen multiple times people could complete their set a few moths later when it happens again.
  • In fact give away normal commendations for every player you kill. I hear BH comms are a pain to get on high traffic servers, give them away for a certain number of lv.50 kills and watch the End Game Content players come running.

Personally I think this would be a great way to escalate the "Galactic Civil War" and encourage people to get their fists dirty.