A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say, but the review is not on point at all.

Calling Huttball bad because you can pass the ball? Really? It's actually a rather good idea, expecially compared to other MMO's where most of the gametypes are almost exclusively about doing damage. Huttball is actually one of the better PvP forms - expecially if you compare it to the BGs of WoW.

The lack of an autoattack actually makes the gameplay far better - it forces people to choose. Am I going for the Focus-using ability for the damage, or pick the Focus-building ability, but have a much lower dps?

I guess this game is just not for the OP. That's OK - but don't act like some of the choices (like Huttball) are bad simply because you like WoW style BG PvP more; that's called taste.

Zomg another WOW comparison as with earlier posts instant ban for mentioning WOW on forums should be implemented : )

But....

As a real old schooler of MMO, Ultima Online, still have my account is it what 15 years : )

Anyways I was playing on tatooine yesterday and out of nowhere I was ganked by a few rebels, thats what im talking about.

Xawe

I got ganked by some republic scum on Tatooine yesterday too. I have to say was able to hunt one of them down and have some justice.

I got ganked by some republic scum on Tatooine yesterday too. I have to say was able to hunt one of them down and have some justice.

Yeah I got killed twice then met some guys outside the Heroic 4_ and went on the rampage killing rebels

Empire 21 Rebels 3

Wish there was a record of wins in pvp for bragging rights of course : )

Xawe

Sorry to say, but the review is not on point at all.

Calling Huttball bad because you can pass the ball? Really? It's actually a rather good idea, expecially compared to other MMO's where most of the gametypes are almost exclusively about doing damage. Huttball is actually one of the better PvP forms - expecially if you compare it to the BGs of WoW.

The lack of an autoattack actually makes the gameplay far better - it forces people to choose. Am I going for the Focus-using ability for the damage, or pick the Focus-building ability, but have a much lower dps?

I guess this game is just not for the OP. That's OK - but don't act like some of the choices (like Huttball) are bad simply because you like WoW style BG PvP more; that's called taste.

I liked the huttball and hated it at the same time, please don't give me the ball, I wasn't able to pass it before I died. :) I would actually like to see more pvp content like huttball, even some non lethal cantina games, gambling would be fun on nar shaddah.

As for the auto attack, I say good riddance, the review said the lack of auto attack made combat boring. So having an auto attack so you need to do less stuff makes it interesting? Personally I hope they don't let macros into the game, it's like auto attack on steroids, I like running into a fight, screwing up my rotation and dying because of something I as a player did wrong. I learn better ways to map my keys, and set up my quick bars so It doesn't happen again.

I wanted top stop reading after the Who am I? paragraph. Maybe we-work this for future reviews. You sound like you're trying to say you know more than the reader, not a good message to send. It puts us on the defensive.

Just sharing a friendly criticism, take it or leave it. May the Force be with you!

I think you have a long way to walk to reach patience and find the skills to read what people think.

On the other hand, people like somebody to feed em with a gold spoon - their mom if at all possible - and if its silver they will cringe and move away.

OMG CS:S and WoW Arena. That's a really bad reputation for a reviewer.

I myself played CS from 1.5 and must say that i stoped playing CS when CS:S came out, because it was so bad.

In MMOs i've played UO, Ragnarok, DAoC, SWG, Lineage (1 and 2), EQ (1 and 2), EVE online, BountyBay, GuildWars, LotRO, WAR, CoH / CoV, WoW, Rift, Aion, AoC, a bunch of free MMOs. Most of them i've played since beta. I've seen the release days, i've been in uncountable hours of queus waiting to play.

Skipping Conversations:

Seriously ***. I've enjoyed them since the dawn of Games that had cutscenes. I spend hours talking to people in Gothic and i've listaned to every story i could in kotor, dragon age and mass effect. If you skip the cutscenes to lvl faster you're in the wrong MMO. There are a lot of MMOs with a boring story, where you really don't have to care about reading the wall of text and you can only press on "accept quest". I suggest you go review one of those...

-TOR-

Has a great story for every class. Some are more interesting, some are less, but all of them are better then the storys of most MMOs

PvP:

Ok first of all, WoW Arena? Comparison of D!kc sizes? You simply cannot talk seriously of a skilled PvP in a Geargrinder like WoW. FFS take a look at my personal two PvP favorites DAoC and Warhammer Online and DO NEVER PUT WOW AND PVP IN THE SAME SENTENCE.

-TOR-

The PvP is at it's beginning on TOR. You can't really talk a lot about it at this point. But still, knowing the SW universe i think that Huttball is an awesome idea and i love it, even though i play a Sith Marauder, wich under 30 is pretty sh!iiy when it comes to PvP (it rocks on 1vs1 though). Give it time.

Quests:

You can lasso Dragons all you want, after doing it a few times that becomes boring too. I don't think that bioware is stuck in the 90s with that (And you obviosly haven't played MMOs in the 90s). Bioware is one of the best Devs ever. They gave us Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the Old Republic. Before you can ever dare to judge such a dev team as Bioware you should add a lot, and i mean A LOT more game experience to your repertoire but WoW Arena and CS:S.

-TOR-

I think the way most sidequests are done are acceptable. They could be better, but they could have been much worse, judging from other MMOs. The main quests are just awesome in the typical BW way. You could alsomst say this is like a Mass Effect Online (It doesn't have enough dark side light side influence to be a KotOR online^^)

All in All:

As a reviewer the most important thing to know is that IF you copare two MMOs (wich you shouldn't but thats on you) you can never compare a game after 6 years of releasedevelopment with a just released one, thats just stup!d. Compare it to the game TOR will be in 6 years...

-TOR-

There are a lot of things the devs couldn't put in the release version, but are currently working on it. Plus, nobody should challenge the potential of Bioware, Electronic Arts and Star Wars combined in one game...

Thats all i have to say to such a review

p.s. Companions are just pets? I wanna see you romance your felhunter as a warlock...

OP thinks he knows.....

OP is playing a game that doesn't suit his play style....

Maybe he needs to leave...and take his opionions and so called "reviews" with him.

You compared it to wow.....you failed right from start.

You said it needs auto attack.....just stop posting all together now.

How much time do you actually waste in life...considering you did for this wall of text.

Instead of comparing a 7+year MMO to a MMO released today, compare SWTOR to WoW in November of 2004.

There is no comparison that SWTOR is by FAR a better game. Just wait until they roll out the patches to fix/upgrade the game.

This also DOESNT stand as a valid argument.

Ofcouse you will compare to a game 7 years old achievements.

SWTOR is a new game and ought to implement most popular advancements other games did.

SWTOR is a new game and ought to implement most popular advancements other games did.

Whilst static consumer items may work that way, MMORPGs do not.

If your argument was true, WoW would have launched with PvP in place and many other content items because the best MMORPGs at the time already had them.

So how come WoW launched with almost no content or PvP and had terrible platform stability and horrendous queues?

ALL of the other competitors games had stable platforms, PvP and a whole host of content that WoW launched without?

Like you said..."new game and ought to implement most popular advancements other games did"....

See your arguement is not valid.

Driz

Huttball is WSG but you can pass the ball = fail.

WSG - 2 flags, capture enemy flag and get back to your flag, if your flag is taken you must wait until someone kills their flag carrier.

Result = 80% of the people playing didnt pay attention to the flag element of the game and just clusterf*cked in the middle grinding honour.

Huttball - 1 ball, starts in the centre, clusterf*ck still happens, but it is centric to the game, run the ball over their line, point scored.

Result = 100% of the people are engaged in the game, fast paced, fun.

The rest of your post is too boring to warrant a response and I'm sure the 50+ previous pages have adequately shot you down.

Oh dear, a WOW fanboi thinks by putting headers on his complaint that he gives his port validity.

The fact you played CS has what relevance exactly?

The fact you did all your comparing with WOW shows that your scope for comparison is highly limited, thus rendering your review invalid.

Your final comments, basically slagging off anyone who disagrees with you renders your review invalid.

You may have made some points, and there are few things that IMHO need improving by all means, but really, if you love WOW that much, I hope not to see your name appear on these forums again as I can only assume you have gone back.

WOW in it's current form sucks, it is hemerroging subs, it has no story, no community, only a load of part time raiders who login, raid and leave. It has some good engine mechanics which have taken 10 years(including original dev time) to get right, but apart from that, there is nothing good about it.

Comparing WOW ATM with TOR ATM is a bad idea, mainly because WOW sucks ATM. I would rather compare WOW from 7 years with TOR ATM as WOW 7 years ago was a better game. It had issues yes, but as a whole, it was definetly a better game.

Edited by Rollcageuk

I'll say this of TOR: the UI, LFG, Galactic Trade Network and PvP aspects of this game definitely need a boost. They are all pathetic as it stands.

Another lesser issue is how frequently I find my dialogue lines are reused.

But overall the game feels pretty solid. All of these things can be improved early on, and no one will care in the longrun. But the longer they stay the way they are, the less strong this game seems.

I doubt it will fail. But I'm surprised it launched with some of the issues it did. But I also remember several other launches. This isn't terrifyingly horrible.

PvP

PvP is a joke, there's not much more to say. It's an insult to any form of competitive activity. Huttball is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen implemented in an MMO: Warsong Gulch with a passable flag? Really? What irks me most is that someone actually made money coming up with such a terrible idea. Inconsistent traps, obnoxious commentators, bad layout, Huttball has it all. There are 15-year-olds that designed better Unreal Tournament maps. Sure, there may be some occasional mindless fun to be had with Huttball, but there's no real value here.

Alderaan is significantly better, but doesn't even compare to the wide variety of BGs present in MMOs like WoW or Rift. Ignoring WoW's trailblazing here, Rift's "Black Garden" was a particularly awesome innovation. World PvP is more or less nonexistent.

If ToR was Communist Russia, PvP would be human rights.

With five gladiator titles and 3k ratings under my belt I can gladly say that you are wrong, WoW hasn't mastered pvp in the least. 2's are completely broken and 3's are all about the flavor of the month setups, I'm not even going to break down 5v5 brackets for you beause everyone knows it's a meat grinder that doesn't demand any skill but the ability to mash away.

What I'm trying to say is, give SWTOR time, it's the day after launch ofcourse they're not going to have a perfect pvp system, they haven't even seen level 50's fight eachother extensively, how could they balance the classes and put in new pvp games?

Leading people into the post with an exclamation mark to pretend like you are a happy person.. clever.

Comparing a 7 year old MMO to a newly-released MMO... um, I think I'll pass on what you have to say. Where is the comparison to the WoW launch, with facts and events from that? You're comparing apples to oranges, basically. Both are fruits (MMORPG), but they are not the same.. at least not at this point. Or maybe it's more like comparing an apple seed to an apple. Either way, it's the same idea. You have to compare seeds to seeds.

Also, where is the TL;DR?

I Agree with a lot the op has to say not all but a lot.

PvP is sadly out of touch with any other game including rift.

Questing and Flashpoints are the best things in the game.

The Galactic trading centre is horrible and how this got through beta unchanged i don't know how.

4 player groups aren't really to my taste(but others may enjoy).

The game can feel quite blocky and chunky sometimes.

A lot of people that are playing this game are happy to defend some of the bad things about this game, instead of admitting that its a major letdown.

Neutral Players should also be rewarded more.

In my opinion, TOR should be compared to modern WoW when it comes to mechanics/gameplay features/technical stuff, and to vanilla WoW when it comes to the amount and variety of content.

Leading people into the post with an exclamation mark to pretend like you are a happy person.. clever.

Comparing a 7 year old MMO to a newly-released MMO... um, I think I'll pass on what you have to say. Where is the comparison to the WoW launch, with facts and events from that? You're comparing apples to oranges, basically. Both are fruits (MMORPG), but they are not the same.. at least not at this point. Or maybe it's more like comparing an apple seed to an apple. Either way, it's the same idea. You have to compare seeds to seeds.

True and not so. Is somehow fair to compare both games at release times, but, as a customer that wants to buy one of the 2 his choice is not between wow from 7 years ago and swtor, but between wow how it stands now and swtor how it stands now. As a customer i'm interested about NOW ;)

A lot of people that are playing this game are happy to defend some of the bad things about this game, instead of admitting that its a major letdown.

Um... Maybe because we DON'T consider it a major letdown?

We can see its faults and want them to be fixed, but we simply don't find them detrimental to our enjoyment.