The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

This is no argument. You wont compare your new car with the Ford Model T thats been out for 100 years. Why? Because your new car HAS to be BETTER. Because its not 1908 anymore and when a new car comes out, he has to be better than car than came out 100 years ago... So SWTOR has to be better FROM the start.

You can't compare an MMO to a CAR. you just can't

And if we use that comparison:

Lets go with ford, been around for years, has a good reputation at making good cars, with lots of experience doing so.

Then you have a new car company come out, take KIA or Hyundai from when they first started. Their cars were **** when they first started but now with experience they both make good cars.

You cannot expect a company to launch into a new field and match what is currently out there straight from the gate, it will take time.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 pages huh? one of the better trolls I have seen on this forum. OP you are entitled to your horrible opinion. Better yet, if you dislike this game or dislike WoW, do not play. Simple as that. Yet you feel the need to spout your nonsense so good samaritans, such as myself, get duped into reading it. I feel bad for me, you, and anyone else who read any part of what you wrote. /sadface mcsniffle

As a WoW player since launch, I think this game is pretty great at the gate. Do not forget, everyone, that the game hasn't even launched yet (in my neck of the woods) and that many things that will make the game better and more fluid cannot be implemented until the devs see how everything meshes with real players in real time. Betas are all well and good, and this early access was awesome...but writing code and getting all the different aspects alligned take a bit of time and trial and error.

WoW has been a great game. Yes, they have had to dumb it down to include the masses. This is why many of us don't play anymore. I remember the first year where everything took forever and was so geared toward team playing. I miss those days.

I am looking forward to being in on the ground floor of another great MMO. I am hoping it becomes as great as its potential. In a few years we'll all be looking back at launch and taling about the "good ole days"! haha

May the Force be with you all!

(oh, and I am just some chick that likes to play games...so my oppinion should be taken above the OP...cause I am the 99%! haha):p

As a WoW player since launch, I think this game is pretty great at the gate. Do not forget, everyone, that the game hasn't even launched yet (in my neck of the woods) and that many things that will make the game better and more fluid cannot be implemented until the devs see how everything meshes with real players in real time. Betas are all well and good, and this early access was awesome...but writing code and getting all the different aspects alligned take a bit of time and trial and error.

WoW has been a great game. Yes, they have had to dumb it down to include the masses. This is why many of us don't play anymore. I remember the first year where everything took forever and was so geared toward team playing. I miss those days.

I am looking forward to being in on the ground floor of another great MMO. I am hoping it becomes as great as its potential. In a few years we'll all be looking back at launch and taling about the "good ole days"! haha

May the Force be with you all!

(oh, and I am just some chick that likes to play games...so my oppinion should be taken above the OP...cause I am the 99%! haha):p

Pretty much all the above minus the chick part :-)

For me a great deal of fun is actually not knowing what's coming up next, what the next zone brings. I'm quite happy to play a less evolved game to bring in a sense of new and exploration.

Funny how the OP doesn't touch on any of the features that ToR brings that WoW hasn't managed to pull off in 7 years like player housing or having more than one hearth point.

Man if you think pvp in wow is good... I have nothing to say to you until you actually try a real pvp mmo like Dark Age of Camelot.

Quoted for truth and emphasis.

I ignored the rest of your post though because...well I just think its incorrect.

To please the mass market for MMOs youat least need:

1. Something completely original

2. Ranked PvP

3. Strong high end gameplay (PvE)

4. A good sense of accomplishment from what you are doing

5. Fluid combat

6. Leveling that is interesting

7. The option to level solo/group with neither option feeling like a negative choice.

8. Variation

9. Balance

10. Customer support (this includes information regarding updates to issues)

11. Minimal grinding

12. Interesting Classes

What wow provides:

2 (although massively abused for seasons without fixes)

1/2 of 3

1/2 of 4

1/2 of 12

What SWTOR Provides:

6 (and does this extremely well)

7 (ditto)

9 (ditto)

I've played wow since not long after release, it's a game that has turned over billions and has made several billions in profits yet has re-invested what seems the bare minimum to keep players somewhat happy. Blizzard refuse to ever admit they may have been wrong on something, refuse to ever provide information, refuse to do anything to proffessions and the grindfest involved there but are totally open to making irrational changes if they think it may boost their profit margins. A company whose profit margins are in the billion marker could at least re invest 3-4% of those profits back into the current state of the game (I'm not talking about expansions here, I'm more than aware a chunk of those profits go into those) which would provide a considerable difference to the players of the game. I still wait over 30 minutes on the phone to speak to customer services, it can still takes several days to get a response from a GM regarding an issue despite the game game being out for what? 7 years now? Although this is solely customer service and I'm a lot more concerned with having a good game but WoW isn't, there are also a lot of fundamental in game issues that are huge problems. Why do you think people continually try new MMOs? If WoW was so amazing these games wouldn't even be able to launch, people are bored of WoW and the way they are treated and is the reason there is such a huge spike in subs and activity every time a new MMO is released, if WoW was such a great game why has it lost ~2 million subs in a year? Why do you think WoW is redirecting its game towards the Asian market? Blizzard are more than aware that it can no longer compete in the EU and US markets come 2012. I really love WoW and have some amazing memories and would love to be proved wrong on this point but I know I'm not.

So, what does Bioware do right?

They at least try to show they care about the customers that are playing their game, sure, I agree, the EGA could have gone smoother but I believe Bioware will learn from this, a darn sight more I can say for the several expansions wow has released. I stopped taking time of work after BC for their expansions simply because it didn't seem worthwhile, I didn't want to spend my day off corpse camping mob spawns for quest kills, something I've not have to deal with in the largest released mmo to date.

If a huge portion of the community/players playing the game have an issue with somethin I'm very sure Bioware will fix/improve/remove the feature. A quick example where, again, Blizzard do not listen is simply SOTA. I saw a poll quite recently with a 17:3 ratio of liking to disliking that BG, despite thousands of complaints it still remains and people still have their hands ready to type /afk the second the loading screen is done.

For a game that is 5 hours and 42 minutes hold, I must say, Bioware is doing a darn sight better than Blizzard have done in 6/7 years.

If wow as it started launched against wow as it is today right now wow as it started would be fubar. All the whinging about a staggered launch... Wow had the ultimate staggered launch they trickled out product as their infrastructure could handle it.

I like ToR I am enjoying it, I cannot say the same about wow at this point so here I am.

It's also hard to take someone seriously, or for that matter "objective," who's been on the forums for over 2 years and still write "ToR."

The Old Republic. Not The old Republic.

Sorry, I know you are used to AoC, and DAoC, and CoV, and you're all time favorite, WoW....but that's because they are all "of", which is a preposition.

Why is it so hard to write TOR?

When you learn the difference between "your" and "you're" feel free to lecture OP.

Until then... better keep yer mouth shut.

I agree with the sidequests. With the exception of a few, most sidequests stink... BIG TIME. I groan every time I start to struggle with story quests, because I know it's sidequest leveling time.

To be fair, with the exception of WoW, I haven't played a mmo with good sidequests. And only in WoW's expansions did sidequests get awesome.

But I strongly disagree with PvP. Huttball one of the worst ideas invented in an MMO? Are you freaking kidding me? Even if you don't like it (personally I love it), how can you call it one of the worst things invented in an mmo... that alone takes you validity and crushes it.

And the companions are FAR more than glorified pets. How can you even say that? That is a huge understatement. They play a major part in the story and they play a major role in the crafting department. Those two things alone make them nothing like MMO pets outside of the very obvious "derrr they have a bar and you send them to attack things... WOW pets!"

Terrible review.

Edited by Wishpig

Hahaha a troll. Grats on writting this. But how can you compare a 6 years old game, against a 0 Days old game? explain this to me.

Also, You reached lvl50 already? Really? Maybe a screenshot of yourself would be nice.

I dont see how you can say anything about a game that early.

Seriously, im pretty sure you never played WoW 1.0 Vanilla. I was on pre-release, and let me tell you... it sucked. Sucked big time.

So how about you stop trolling, and let this great game prove what it can do.

-.-'

I agree with the sidequests. With the exception of a few, most sidequests stink... BIG TIME. I groan every time I start to struggle with story quests, because I know it's sidequest leveling time.

To be fair, with the exception of WoW, I haven't played a mmo with good sidequests. And only in WoW's expansions did sidequests get awesome.

But I strongly disagree with PvP. Huttball one of the worst ideas invented in an MMO? Are you freaking kidding me? Even if you don't like it (personally I love it), how can you call it one of the worst things invented in an mmo... that alone takes you validity and crushes it.

And the companions are FAR more than glorified pets. How can you even say that? That is a huge understatement. They play a major part in the story and they play a major role in the crafting department. Those two things alone make them nothing like MMO pets.

Terrible review.

Dont forget that companions are FULLY UPGRADEABLE, what other game gives you the exact amount of slots that you get for a main character in 5 companions? Giving you A RIDICULOUS amount of moddable gear that you can mix and match to your hearts content?

Dont forget that companions are FULLY UPGRADEABLE, what other game gives you the exact amount of slots that you get for a main character in 5 companions? Giving you A RIDICULOUS amount of moddable gear that you can mix and match to your hearts content?

Pets in WoW have talent trees, much more fun than giving gear.

Pets in WoW have talent trees, much more fun than giving gear.

Lol, and companions in TOR dont either right? We dont have tanking, DPS, and healing companions?

Face it, TOR has what WoW has AND then some. WoW is for the archaic MMO players who think their cool leveling up to max level in one sitting. This isn't just an MMO, it's an RPG as well. Ergo, MMORPG

Welcome to the FUTURE of MMO's, WoW is going to be left behind.

When you learn the difference between "your" and "you're" feel free to lecture OP.

Until then... better keep yer mouth shut.

In your (hey look) haste to defend the OP (which we can only assume that you're (hey look) the OP's alt account) you are so desperate that you want to compare a singular use of bad syntax with a serial pattern behavior for over two years, then have at it.

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

PS It would be "lecture the OP." Ironic, right?

Edited by Scar

You do realize that EA games are the same as Activision, only worse? In fact, when Activision was still a normal GOOD game developer and not mostly a publisher and money hungry corporation, EA was ALREADY balls deep into sucking money out of gamers by releasing the same games every 6 months with slight updates.

Trust me when I say Activision are SAINTS when compared to EA.

Bobby Kotick.

Need I say more?