The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

Admit this fanboys, 100 million fans of the original star wars does not equal 1billion fans of all the watered down crap that Lucas has allowed to happen since his original masterpieces.

What I or any other person thinks of this game really does not matter on an individual level, what does matter is if enough people individualy feel the same way to make or break the game.

Community is the biggest factor, and the majority of the community here is the "I hate WoW" set, comparing the two is in fact valid. Comparing ToR to WAR is valid as well. And bioware like the community is clearly made up of the same sets of of people that either hated WoW because they fail at playing a game that requires following directions and teamwork. Or hate Blizzard because they were not picked for employment or fired for being "bad" much as the same people that helped make WAR the rousing success that it is.

LOL I like TOR, but it's the community that kills it for me, and the lack of polish that they promised would be in game.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately no game will EVER come close to the quality of PvP that DAOC had. It sucks to say that b/c DAOC had the most replayability of any MMO to date. It's unfortunate that pretty much all MMOs nowadays go the WoW style PvP and WoW style combat (both are subpar) to DAOC's system.

That said, I played WoW for quite a few years and the game is just plain boring. SWTOR is a breath of fresh air and the combat is improved over WoWs combat. I am sure it will keep me occupied for a while, hopefully for enough time for Bioware to put in some REAL faction oriented PvP (not BG/warzone ********).

Ahh but there it is as a consumer he is one to judge just like you or I.

After reading this thread it makes me wonder where the political spectrum lies in the fanboy err- playerbase is in this game.

the problem is that he is seeing his judgement as a fact. hard to understand for you? no?

so no, he is not the one to do that.

if its just a simple opinion, sure go ahead but he aint giving something like that;)

so just for you again:

the masses that will play or not play the game will determine wheter the game is truly lacking that much.

You realize that a lot more than 10 million people have bought WOW right?

10 million is CURRENT ACTIVE USERS.

Are you saying that SW:TOR has 100 million current users too?

Not once does he state "SUBSCRIPTIONS"

Do you know what a fan base is?

Edited by djsmileey

Actually, it's an objective review. I back everything up with in-game data. What part, in particular, did you have an issue with? For example, if I said Gigli is a terrible movie, that would also be an undeniable fact.

Objective....

a. Expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as percieved, without distortions by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations.

OP, me thinks you know not the meaning of this word. Not big on science are ya? =0)

Half of the things you mentioned will be added in the future.

When WoW launched, it didn't have rated bgs, arenas, or even regular BGs.

And many classes were unbalanced at launch too, feral druids had no place in PVP, I can go on.

No point, you're clearly trolling anyways

So what you are saying is that TOR has all the features of a game that came out in 2004 but hey maybe one day they will catch up.

If that's ok with you gaming companies will love you.

So what you are saying is that TOR has all the features of a game that came out in 2004 but hey maybe one day they will catch up.

If that's ok with you gaming companies will love you.

What do you mean catch up.

Does every other game have EVERY feature that is available in SWTOR also?

When is EVERY OTHER MMO going to catch up with voice acting or any of the other new features available in THIS MMO.

Ask yourself the very same question before posting.

You can't simply say it's out of date or missing features just becuase they are in another game right now.

Your argument is flawed.

Edited by djsmileey

Not once does he state "SUBSCRIPTIONS"

Do you know what a fan base is?

/facepalm

Yet he compares the CURRENT WOW SUBSCRIPTIONS with the total SW FANBASE.

If you think that's fair you're beyond redemption.

WOW has a lot bigger fanbase than the 10m current users. I'm a fan and I'm not a subscriber, same as all my friends. We played it, enjoyed it, maybe we'll play for 1 month when the expac comes out, that's it, we are not ACTIVE users, but we are FANS.

/facepalm

Yet he compares the CURRENT WOW SUBSCRIPTIONS with the total SW FANBASE.

If you think that's fair you're beyond redemption.

WOW has a lot bigger fanbase than the 10m current users. I'm a fan and I'm not a subscriber, same as all my friends. We played it, enjoyed it, maybe we'll play for 1 month when the expac comes out, that's it, we are not ACTIVE users, but we are FANS.

And how many of that larger fanbase are double accounts or gold farmers?

Last logistics they had done, almost 1/4 of the subs were foreign accounts used for gold farming.

Don't boast numbers when you're really not sure of what you write.

Edited by djsmileey

I'm no gaming expert..I barely had one 85 in WoW and I would consider myself an "average" gamer at best. So I'm not going to debate the finer points of the OP's statement. I'm sure he is correct in some respects, wrong in others: but from a casual gamer's perspective I feel that TOR is going to be a successful game because:

1. It's Star Wars: There are very few IP's that have the dominating brand equity in pop culture that Star Wars has - regardless of what universe you are in (movie, book, comics, expanded, etc.

2. Fun: It's a fun game, sometimes - we are just looking for a fun game.

3. Modern Mass Appeal: Star Wars has a deeper, longer and stronger branding reach than WoW (or any MMO game out there) ever will.

4. Star Wars FANS are more loyal to the BRAND than gaming fans are to games: This weekend I saw 4 of my friends (who are high level raiders in WoW - with multiple geared out 85's) have the best time in game because they are Star Wars fans first and gaming fans second.

In the end, Star Wars will carve out it's place in the MMO genre and will SHARE the mantle with the king of MMO gaming; and will do so on it's own terms backed by the fans who became gamers because of TOR (and not vice versa).

I'm no gaming expert..I barely had one 85 in WoW and I would consider myself an "average" gamer at best. So I'm not going to debate the finer points of the OP's statement. I'm sure he is correct in some respects, wrong in others: but from a casual gamer's perspective I feel that TOR is going to be a successful game because:

1. It's Star Wars: There are very few IP's that have the dominating brand equity in pop culture that Star Wars has - regardless of what universe you are in (movie, book, comics, expanded, etc.

2. Fun: It's a fun game, sometimes - we are just looking for a fun game.

3. Modern Mass Appeal: Star Wars has a deeper, longer and stronger branding reach than WoW (or any MMO game out there) ever will.

4. Star Wars FANS are more loyal to the BRAND than gaming fans are to games: This weekend I saw 4 of my friends (who are high level raiders in WoW - with multiple geared out 85's) have the best time in game because they are Star Wars fans first and gaming fans second.

In the end, Star Wars will carve out it's place in the MMO genre and will SHARE the mantle with the king of MMO gaming; and will do so on it's own terms backed by the fans who became gamers because of TOR (and not vice versa).

My God... He's done it.

Excellent Post.

the problem is that he is seeing his judgement as a fact. hard to understand for you? no?

so no, he is not the one to do that.

if its just a simple opinion, sure go ahead but he aint giving something like that;)

so just for you again:

the masses that will play or not play the game will determine wheter the game is truly lacking that much.

In your mind your opinions are facts as they are in mine, irrelevent is what you are trying to say, like I have said since then and you managed to say yourself it is the masses that will determine the fate.

But make no mistake you have just basicaly stated that you yourself are not one to judge even though you are a paying customer too.

What do you mean catch up.

Does every other game have EVERY feature that is available in SWTOR also?

When is EVERY OTHER MMO going to catch up with voice acting or any of the other new features available in THIS MMO.

The question should rightfully be on what Bioware intends to add to the game in the coming months, though. Some of those things should rightfully be quality-of-life improvements and retention additions.

Bioware would be smart to at least look at the issues Blizzard has attempted to address over the course of WoW, and those primarily are issues of sub retention, accessibility, and the pace of content consumption.

Honestly, what concerns me most about this game is it's primary selling point: the VO. It's content that is rapidly consumed and digested, and in the long run I'm not sure if it'll pay off as an investment for Bioware as much as new instances, raids, and standard high end MMO content.

Cute IRL, eh? Hey there... anyways, thanks for sharing your opinion of the game. I agree with you on a couple of points, mainly that social tools like guild trees and such should be implemented, along with the usual gripes about the lack of mods and UI customization. I really do dislike that about the game. Having a static UI drives me NUTS.

Where I disagree with you is in the gameplay elements. You criticize the game for having a lack of auto attack and requiring the player to hit 1-1-1-1 saying it is boring. Well, I can agree that waiting for resources to regenerate is boring, but doing NOTHING while waiting for those resources to regenerate is boring too. So, it seems like we are at an impasse. Either mash 1 while my energy comes back, or stand there and auto attack. :confused: A new mechanic is needed, but I hardly think WoW's mechanic is better than Bioware's.

You say that you skip the heroic quests that require you to group because you don't feel it is "worth it"... these are some of the best times I have had in the game. Bioware has struck a *great* balance between solo play and grouping imo, as well as with difficulty. What could they have done to make them more meaningful to you? Do the group quests in WoW (back when they existed) feel "worth it" to you? I'd be interested to hear your response to this.

Also, skipping the VO's? I think I speak for the majority when I say that this is a FANTASTIC part of the game. I have *never* felt more a part of my character in an MMO than I have with this game, and like you, I am a long time gamer and MMO player, raiding in the top tier, albeit I didn't compete in invitationals. (That's awesome btw) I think this is more just a personal preference. You don't like listening to VO's... that's ok, but I hardly think you should fault Bioware for it. I get the vibe from you that you aren't as concerned with "story" as you are with power gaming and competing. I definitely don't get a competitive vibe from this game, so, from that perspective, I can understand your point of view.

The game certainly doesn't revolutionize the genre, but they never promised that. Don't you think Bioware is doing the same thing Blizzard did with WoW? IE: take what works from your predeccessor and make it better? I think the statement I disagree with most is that the game will be dead in a year. C'mon now... :cool:

Anyways, thanks for posting. Various perspectives are good, and not everyone is going to like the game.

All the best, and good luck with your gaming endeavors.

Edited by Sevvy_Boo

The question should rightfully be on what Bioware intends to add to the game in the coming months, though. Some of those things should rightfully be quality-of-life improvements and retention additions.

Bioware would be smart to at least look at the issues Blizzard has attempted to address over the course of WoW, and those primarily are issues of sub retention, accessibility, and the pace of content consumption.

Honestly, what concerns me most about this game is it's primary selling point: the VO. It's content that is rapidly consumed and digested, and in the long run I'm not sure if it'll pay off as an investment for Bioware as much as new instances, raids, and standard high end MMO content.

It's all how you take it. I find the Voice-acting awesome because it makes the GRINDING part of the game sooooooooooooooooooo much more favorable.

But the game still retains other points, just becuase the voice over is super appealing, does not mean it's the ONLY appealing part of the game.

If you have trouble finding other points of interest, perhaps the game isn't for you.

It's all how you take it. I find the Voice-acting awesome because it makes the GRINDING part of the game sooooooooooooooooooo much more favorable.

But the game still retains other points, just becuase the voice over is super appealing, does not mean it's the ONLY appealing part of the game.

If you have trouble finding other points of interest, perhaps the game isn't for you.

How did you even gleam this from what I said?

I didn't say boo about the quality or the desire for VO. I said it's rapidly digested by players, and it may not pay off, dollar for dollar, as other content.

I disagree with the op's review, mainly because it's nitpicking and elitist mindset thinking.

For me swotr is fun and enjoyable, sure some things need to be fixed eventually but their not game breaking. It feels like a fully fleshed out bioware game while having the online components. I don't get why some people try to downrate anything that challenges wow.

One of the best feelings ever was deleting wow off my harddrive because while addicting at one time, nowdays it's just a lesser vision of what it once was. The developers have it on life support it seems by the lackluster feeling of the game.

Different opinions on what BioWares selling point is... to me the selling point is STARWARS... go ahead and call it "WoW in Space" idc honestly because im sure thats what BioWare sorta had in mind anyways. But i recall the selling point the BioWare devs pushed was something called "The Third Pillar" which is Story. Something not focused on in many other MMOs. Sure the VO is a big part in providing the Story in a better fashion. But the backbone of the VO is still "STARWARS" Story. BioWare is well known for there Story telling in games. Just so happens they made the first "fully voiced" MMO to bring us that "STARWARS Story"