The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

CoH players coming to TOR

Tickdoff-Tank

With the recent announcement about CoH closing down I am expecting to see at least a few people come from there to here :) I was also a long time CoH player, Justice server. Went by the name of Wrend on the forums, my main toon (and badge hunter) was Firekraker.

Currently I am playing on Jedi Covenant. I have toons on both Republic and Imperial sides, but I consider my "main" to be my Bounty Hunter Tickdoff Nerfherder. (all Bounty Hunters are Imp side if you are new to the game). I also have toons named Imnota, Corsa and Lisbeath on Imp side, my primary Repub toon is Notanother (Sentinel).

Feel free to look me up at any time, I would love to see some more people from CoH, that game still has the best community of any MMO, at least untill Nov 30th.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess FTP doesn't always work well.

Actually, the Free to Play model that CoH was using was doing very well. More people were playing, lots was in development and the game was in better shape than ever before. The decision to close the game came from NCsoft, not Paragon Studios, the Devs that ran the game were as suprised as the playerbase.

NCsoft said that they were re-focusing on other markets, most likely meaning the east Asia markets instead of the US. But poor performance was not listed as a reason for closing CoH. I am sure if it was doing *better* then it would not be closing, but that does not mean it was doing poorly. It was making money, estimates show a profit of about 11,000,000 per year. Apparently that was not enough.

Actually, the Free to Play model that CoH was using was doing very well. More people were playing, lots was in development and the game was in better shape than ever before. The decision to close the game came from NCsoft, not Paragon Studios, the Devs that ran the game were as suprised as the playerbase.

NCsoft said that they were re-focusing on other markets, most likely meaning the east Asia markets instead of the US. But poor performance was not listed as a reason for closing CoH. I am sure if it was doing *better* then it would not be closing, but that does not mean it was doing poorly. It was making money, estimates show a profit of about 11,000,000 per year. Apparently that was not enough.

11 Mill per year is not enough!?!? The greed of the human being never ceases to amaze me.

11 Mill per year is not enough!?!? The greed of the human being never ceases to amaze me.

It's never enough, TV shows get cancelled at the drop of a hat if they don't meet stupidly high ratings all the time.

TV shows don't create psycho killers, cancelling them does. :p

Edited by TheBetty

Don't care if this tread gets deleted.

I played CoX from 2004 through the better part of 2009. Loved that game, and my favorite PvP was the consignment house. I was a flipping master and made billions of influence. Though I left it to explore the great big MMO world, it was my first MMO love, and you never forget your first.

RIP

With the recent announcement about CoH closing down I am expecting to see at least a few people come from there to here :) I was also a long time CoH player, Justice server. Went by the name of Wrend on the forums, my main toon (and badge hunter) was Firekraker.

What a small world - I was on Justice from launch to about 2010 or so. Yeah it had some problems, but CoH was a damn awesome game and I loved every moment I was playing. Swinging a lightsaber is keen, but not nearly as cool as zooming through the skies like Superman.

That said, I wish there was some stuff that CoH had that TOR would implement. I would murder for a sidekicking feature! I have a handful of real life friends who play TOR, but thanks to real life and work schedules and whatnot, all our characters are all over the map, level wise. But the ability to take my level 50 bounty hunter and play with their level 28 Agent would be AWESOME!

That and the costume choices here on TOR are so damn limiting. CoH was my first (and really, only) MMORPG, and I grew to love the amazing flexibility of the character creator. Make Batman? Easy. How about the Shadow? Not a problem. Flash Gordon? Simple! Santa Claus? Okay, it was a bit of a stretch in places, but with some of the Pirate clothing options, it worked pretty well around holiday time. But here. I get jumpsuit, Jumpsuit with a backpack, jumpsuit with big shoulder pads and the ability to make the rest of my outfit match my chest. Whoopie!

So yeah, I'll be raising a glass to Great Beyond, One-Hit Wonder, Chill Out Woman, Scarlet Arrow, and Schrodinger's Cat Girl on the 30th. . . .

***edit***

Oh - one more thing that this game BADLY needs? Global chat. While I cant play with my friends because of the level difference between us, having a universal, global chat - where good guys can talk to bad guys and so on - would be awesome. At the very least I can still have some kind of running dialogue or at least know if they're on without having to log out and jump on as my Imperial.

Edited by El_Kabong

Main reason why i dont like NCsoft one bit, they do that kind of thing a lot and then there is the Tabula Rasa thing with Richard Garriot.. :/

Edited by ElitehunterDS

That and the costume choices here on TOR are so damn limiting. CoH was my first (and really, only) MMORPG, and I grew to love the amazing flexibility of the character creator. Make Batman? Easy. How about the Shadow? Not a problem. Flash Gordon? Simple! Santa Claus? Okay, it was a bit of a stretch in places, but with some of the Pirate clothing options, it worked pretty well around holiday time. But here. I get jumpsuit, Jumpsuit with a backpack, jumpsuit with big shoulder pads and the ability to make the rest of my outfit match my chest. Whoopie!

Oh - one more thing that this game BADLY needs? Global chat. While I cant play with my friends because of the level difference between us, having a universal, global chat - where good guys can talk to bad guys and so on - would be awesome. At the very least I can still have some kind of running dialogue or at least know if they're on without having to log out and jump on as my Imperial.

I actually made a hero called Echo 3 that was a pretty accurate X-wing pilot outfit. I then made a black jedi robe, tan Dagobah outfit, and the best one, the "blast shield" costume. It looked so much like what Luke was wearing while training with the drone that people would stop to compliment it in the game. CoH's character creator was nothing short of amazing, and the main reason I'm disappointed with the customization in this game.

And +1 for the global stuff. Global channels, global friends, etc...

SWG was my first MMO, but CoH is how I judge other MMO's. It may not have been perfect, but it got a lot of things right that no other games have. I'm very sad to see it go.