Cybertech or Armstech?

hinduchocolate

I chose cybertech. What did it for me was learning that cybertech makes ship parts; as a smuggler, how could I resist that?

Besides, the way the crew skill system is set up, as long as you have the cash it'll be easy to switch later...and you won't even need to do any gathering yourself *or* fret over the auction house not having any of the mats you need.

Edit: One more thing...I'm going cybertech, scavenging, and slicing, at least until 50. I'll be able to craft greens with the mats I scavenge and if I want to make a blue or purple here or there I will just buy or barter for those mats. Slicing will make me extra cash and hopefully net me some schematics. At 50, I'll decide if I want to drop slicing for underworld trading depending on the economy and how much effort I intend to devote to crafting for other people.

Edited by Eroiqua

I went with Cyber Tech , Scavenging and Underworld trading for my slinger during the Thanksgiving beta and was happy with the results I got with what little time I had to mess around with it.

Here's a few reason why:

First : The first few companions we get have bonuses that help out.

Corso + 5 Under World Trading and + 5 Arms Tech Crit

Bowdar +10 Cyber Tech +10 Scavenging

How big a difference those make I'm not sure, but I'm sure it helps some

Second: Unique items that we are able to make, some one all ready mentioned star ship mods, also speeder bikes and further down the tree reusable grenades that add more dps and cc utility.

Third : Ear pieces that can give us some nice extra bumps to our stats.

Lastly during the beta I had no real issues gather the materials I needed to make just about anything I wanted to make when I wanted to make it, unless I was missing a schematic for it. Fortunetly I did figure out that we can buy more schematics from the trainer once we reach a certain lvl of Cyber tech. Just my 2 cents :)

How much benefit do we get from having a particular skill, regarding bonuses and BoP stuff? As far as I saw/read/researched through the Beta info, nothing really stuck as a "You can only have this if you're a X crafter". All of the gear was obtainable equivalently somewhere else.

I've decided to go Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy, because Biochem is the 'consumable' skill.

How much benefit do we get from having a particular skill, regarding bonuses and BoP stuff? As far as I saw/read/researched through the Beta info, nothing really stuck as a "You can only have this if you're a X crafter". All of the gear was obtainable equivalently somewhere else.

I've decided to go Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy, because Biochem is the 'consumable' skill.

A lot of the endgame epics are BoP...for instance in Biochem you have green, blue and purple medpacs. Green is a one-time heal, blue adds a hot, I believe. Both of those are *not* BoP but are also one-time use. Purple is like the blue, but is reusable and BoP. Same with grenades for Cybertechs. The profession gets reusable grenades whereas everyone else can only get the one-time use grenades.

It's 3 distinct skills per companion isn't it? Or will all companions be limited to my 1st three choices?

I went Arms, Underworld because of whatshisnames bonuses and picked Scavenge as 3rd because it 'seemed' like a good compliment to Arms.

It's just 3 skills, 1 mission, 1 gathering and 1 crafting. Your crew do the work but do not have individual skills.

It's just 3 skills, 1 mission, 1 gathering and 1 crafting. Your crew do the work but do not have individual skills.

Not quite... total of 3 skills amongst player and all companions, up to 1 crafting and any combination of the other two types.

Edited by Vuelhering

Well, like Vuelhering said, you can only have one crafting skill, and any combination of the other two. But what I wanted to add, here is that each companion has different advantages to different Skills. For instance, Corso Riggs for Smuggler has + 5 in both Underworld Trading and Cybertech (I think...) I'm not sure what these bonuses actually mean and how they effect anything - but it's important to note them. Of course, that is just one companion. MINOR SPOILER:: I think the Droid you get with your ship has bonuses to Diplomacy or something like that (obviously, since it's a protocol droid.)

Anyway, I chose Biochem, Bioanalysis, and Diplomacy. Mostly because I don't really get into crafting all that much, and this seemed like a less stressful approach to it. Plus, you get to make implants, which are probably one of the rarer types of equipment in the game.

In Beta, it was always cool to get into a pick-up group, and have some really nice meds and stims for everyone, just in case we get into trouble, and I can't keep up with the heals (since I technically wasn't a Heal Spec.) Everyone always enjoyed it, and it's not like they were expensive to make. My groups never die!

Well, like Vuelhering said, you can only have one crafting skill, and any combination of the other two. But what I wanted to add, here is that each companion has different advantages to different Skills. For instance, Corso Riggs for Smuggler has + 5 in both Underworld Trading and Cybertech (I think...) I'm not sure what these bonuses actually mean and how they effect anything - but it's important to note them. Of course, that is just one companion. MINOR SPOILER:: I think the Droid you get with your ship has bonuses to Diplomacy or something like that (obviously, since it's a protocol droid.)

Corso Riggs has Underworld Trading and Armstech efficiency. Plusses to efficiency reduce the time it takes to craft and mission.

I was compiling a list in a crafting primer I wrote on my site here:

http://www.knights-who-say-ni.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34300

there are two types of bonuses from companions, efficiency and crit.

efficiency reduces time requirements. so a underworld +10 requires less time than no underworld. a cybertech +10 requires less time than no cybertech.

crit increases crit chance, which basically results in chance of higher quality. for missions and gathering, it means better chance of getting higher quality materials (blue or purple). For crafting it means getting exceptional results back (crafted item will say (Exceptional) in the tooltip).