Imperial PvPers Vs. Republic PvPers

MasterAtin

So one thing I've noticed, plainly, is that the Imperial side has been dominating at PvP. Though I don't know if that's the case on all servers, but it definitely is on the server that I am on. Drooga's Pleasure Barge. Very rarely have I seen a victory with any of my classes other than the Empire toons that I have.

I do know that cheating and the use of third-party programs are indeed very possible, but it's difficult to determine it it's the root cause of the imperial side, (the side that I first joined and have been more into since launch), winning mosty every single time I PvP

I have heard many rumors, theories, whatever you want to call them from both republic players and imperial players. These are some of them. Names will not be disclosed.

1. After launch, most players decided to do republic over sith thus creating an imbalance in population. Later on, when people became more familiar with The Old Republic, they switched to the imperial side. After a new batch of players joined TOR, they immediately chose republic. Now take a look at the situation: You have the imperial side with experienced PvP players against less experienced PvP players on the republic side.

2. Since launch, the republic side has had more players. (I read a post in another forum elsewhere saying this is not true but bear with me) Because the republic has more players, they have a greater chance of having a full ops group when a match starts. Now if an ops group had only six but the players were highly skilled, they could still easily win but in PvP, having a full ops group can be the difference between a losing streak and a winning streak. But going back to what I said earlier, if the Imperial side has fewer players, their chances at getting a full ops group are decreased. This leads me to the actual rumor I heard while in game from a fellow imperial player. He/she had said that if and imperial ops group for PvP does not have a full group, they get a minor PvP advantage. This seems believable until I read recently that the Imperial Side actually has more players than the Republic side. However, can it still be possible that this is more or less true I have no idea.

3. Another rumor/theory I have heard was quite simple. The Empire's side has been favored since launch. I doubt this since all the gear (armor, weapons, relics, stims, ect) are all the same and if imperial gear was better, it could not be kept quiet. I heard this rumor from a republic player so it could be very based on just a very biased opinion. I do not doubt it.

4. Now the last rumor I've heard of is again, simple (this goes for both sides, imperials and republic). People cheat. Third Party programs as a "Galactic Service Droid" called them. I've looked on youtube to see if cheating was actually possible on TOR which it is quite possible actually. Players use speed hacks where it actually makes them look like they are teleporting. Especially in huttball. I have witnessed this first hand also from both republic and imperial sides. I've also seen critical hits that were 6-8k several times in a row. I do believe that's possible if you stack the right buffs and have a high surge and critical rating but still. You would virtually be a God or Goddess in the game if you could kill an enemy in only a few seconds.

Now this may seem biased, but I can assure you that this is exactly what I heard. I do not let any possibilities escape my reach. I can also assure you that everything I have seen has mostly been witnessed on the imperial side. I do have Imperial characters and the imperial's side was what I chose first when I started this game. I am approaching this community under the belief that imps have tactical advantage in PvP. There is no doubt about that since every match I join with my imperial characters, I win. But everytime I try my republic character, I lose.

So I ask for the rest of the community's input on PvP. Both 10-49 and 50 PvP. Is any of this true? If so, what parts? Is any of this false? If so, what? Are there other reasons? What are they? Many questions I have asked myself as to why PvP is the way it is? And the final question I'd ask is if Bioware knows about this. If they do, will they do anything about it? Assuming something is unbalanced. I apologize for this very long post. Any POSITIVE feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. After launch, most players decided to do republic over sith thus creating an imbalance in population. Later on, when people became more familiar with The Old Republic, they switched to the imperial side. After a new batch of players joined TOR, they immediately chose republic. Now take a look at the situation: You have the imperial side with experienced PvP players against less experienced PvP players on the republic side.

2. Since launch, the republic side has had more players

This was not the case at all for just about any server. The imp side has always had the higher number of players and caused the imbalance. Why do you think you played so many same faction huttball games?

Edited by Darth-Rammstein

First thing to remember - your server is only one of 26. Your experience on Drooga's Pleasure Barge may be all you know, but don't make the mistake of thinking that it applies to the whole game.

My experience on Nightmare Lands is different. Republic and Imperials both win in 50 and pre-50 PvP. Proportions are roughly equal, I would say. Perhaps the Reps win slightly more often, and I'd say they have a greater number of dedicated PvPers, but it's definitely not one-way. It certainly isn't the case that Imps dominate PvP in the way you described. This is an example of how neither of us can assume our personal experience applies to the whole game.

So: theories derived form what you see on one server do not apply to the game.

1) See above. It is speculation as to whether one side may have had more players than the other, let alone movements between sides.

2) See above. Contradicts 1). Also, having fewer players is only marginally more likely to result in one side failing to fill ops groups until they don't have enough players to fill one ops group. I don't think we're there on the new servers.

3) Nonsense. Mirror classes mean the differences are very slight, and not nearly enough to support some paranoid self-serving claim of one side being victimised by the game's creators.

4) Cheating is extremely infrequent in my experience. I have a valour 93 scoundrel, entirely earned in warzones not Ilum kill trading, and I have never seen anything I could say was cheating. This does not mean it doesn't happen: I've seen vids (though none later than end Jan/early Feb - Bioware fixed this back then) showing speed hacking players. I also saw one where a player scored six simultaneous goals in huttball, although this is more likely an exploit than a hack. It just means that it's so rare I've never seen anything I can declare as cheating in-game in hundreds of warzones.

There have been numerous threads claiming massive cheating on this forum in the past, but without actually being able to prove it past the examples I've given above. It is usually down to people failing to understand what legitimate player abilities can do. The chief explanations being: lag glitches; Transcendence/Predation (speed buff ability); resolve. Note that the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight ability Smash/Force Sweep is capable of hitting full War-Hero-equipped players for 5.5k, it could easily ramp up to 6k or higher against undergeared characters.

Bottom line: one side is not systematically favoured. If Imps or Reps dominate on your server that is down to the standard of the players involved. Which may be uncomfortable for them to accept. Lastly, as stated, don't think that the state of your server is the same as the rest of the game.

Edited by Wainamoinen

So one thing I've noticed, plainly, is that the Imperial side has been dominating at PvP. Though I don't know if that's the case on all servers, but it definitely is on the server that I am on. Drooga's Pleasure Barge. Very rarely have I seen a victory with any of my classes other than the Empire toons that I have.

I do know that cheating and the use of third-party programs are indeed very possible, but it's difficult to determine it it's the root cause of the imperial side, (the side that I first joined and have been more into since launch), winning mosty every single time I PvP

I have heard many rumors, theories, whatever you want to call them from both republic players and imperial players. These are some of them. Names will not be disclosed.

Opposite on my server most people go Imp as far as I know (and read on the forums)

2. Since launch, the republic side has had more players. (I read a post in another forum elsewhere saying this is not true but bear with me) Because the republic has more players, they have a greater chance of having a full ops group when a match starts. Now if an ops group had only six but the players were highly skilled, they could still easily win but in PvP, having a full ops group can be the difference between a losing streak and a winning streak. But going back to what I said earlier, if the Imperial side has fewer players, their chances at getting a full ops group are decreased. This leads me to the actual rumor I heard while in game from a fellow imperial player. He/she had said that if and imperial ops group for PvP does not have a full group, they get a minor PvP advantage. This seems believable until I read recently that the Imperial Side actually has more players than the Republic side. However, can it still be possible that this is more or less true I have no idea.

Since Launch on my server most people go Imp as far as I know (and read on the forums) also there are more republics NOW (not at launch) because Imp players are rerolling Reps to get the storyline from that side

3. Another rumor/theory I have heard was quite simple. The Empire's side has been favored since launch. I doubt this since all the gear (armor, weapons, relics, stims, ect) are all the same and if imperial gear was better, it could not be kept quiet. I heard this rumor from a republic player so it could be very based on just a very biased opinion. I do not doubt it.

Actually this isnt true, items for the most part is about the same cept Republics has access to an PvP BM Assault Cannon with a Endurance/Power/Surge enhancement in it which is non-existant for Imp side. Thi means Rep PvPers can start optimizing beginning from BM level whereas Imp players have to grind WH pieces in order to get access to Power/Surge Enhancement. This is a great advantage to people who know what they are doing and have no time to grind for 20 pieces of WH because they have an option to grind for BM and use the enhancement from the assault and be near-BiS without spending hundreds of hours

4. Now the last rumor I've heard of is again, simple (this goes for both sides, imperials and republic). People cheat. Third Party programs as a "Galactic Service Droid" called them. I've looked on youtube to see if cheating was actually possible on TOR which it is quite possible actually. Players use speed hacks where it actually makes them look like they are teleporting. Especially in huttball. I have witnessed this first hand also from both republic and imperial sides. I've also seen critical hits that were 6-8k several times in a row. I do believe that's possible if you stack the right buffs and have a high surge and critical rating but still. You would virtually be a God or Goddess in the game if you could kill an enemy in only a few seconds.

Some guilds hack some guilds dont remember that guild with auto 6 point in 1 score dude? But there's nothing you can do about it. They didnt even kick the hacker out of the guild. Maybe they wanted the rating to badly they want to keep a hacker handy when they need a quick win.

Now this may seem biased, but I can assure you that this is exactly what I heard. I do not let any possibilities escape my reach. I can also assure you that everything I have seen has mostly been witnessed on the imperial side. I do have Imperial characters and the imperial's side was what I chose first when I started this game. I am approaching this community under the belief that imps have tactical advantage in PvP. There is no doubt about that since every match I join with my imperial characters, I win. But everytime I try my republic character, I lose.

So I ask for the rest of the community's input on PvP. Both 10-49 and 50 PvP. Is any of this true? If so, what parts? Is any of this false? If so, what? Are there other reasons? What are they? Many questions I have asked myself as to why PvP is the way it is? And the final question I'd ask is if Bioware knows about this. If they do, will they do anything about it? Assuming something is unbalanced. I apologize for this very long post. Any POSITIVE feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply in red. As far as I know there are servers where Reps dominate PvP. Its simple to understand. Reps used to be so outnumbered they tend to premade queue more often then Imps where each and every single one of the pug baddies think they are "******".

On beregren if you're talking about pug v pug, pubs dominate most of the time. If its pug v premades, premades usually win regardless of the faction, but recently republic pugs have been beating the imp premades, even the full 8 mans. If it premades vs premades, then republic wins. It's why the imps quit queuing for ranked here. As far as favor from devs, both sides claim that. I don't think they favor anyone, but that's my impression based on what I've seen.

I'm on Drooga's, and I have no problem getting my weekly done by Wednesday night, on either my Pub or Imp toons, and that is solo queuing 75% of the time. You are of course entitled to your perception, I just don't share it. I haven't kept records, but I would wager my win% for both factions holds right around 50/50 pugging, and 90/10 with my guildies.

Which in the interest of positive feedback, begs the question, are you in a PVP guild?

I'm on Drooga's, and I have no problem getting my weekly done by Wednesday night, on either my Pub or Imp toons, and that is solo queuing 75% of the time. You are of course entitled to your perception, I just don't share it. I haven't kept records, but I would wager my win% for both factions holds right around 50/50 pugging, and 90/10 with my guildies.

Which in the interest of positive feedback, begs the question, are you in a PVP guild?

I'm on Drooga's also and besides the guildies part (cause I never pvp with them, so can't speak on it), I 100% agree with you. I have days on my Imp where I'm in a group getting dominated. Other days, it's the reverse. That is also on my Republic toons. 50/50 is about accurate on Drooga's as far as I see it.

only difference i see on shadowlands is pubs have way more healers, due to sage/sorc role disparity pretty entirely. means sometimes you get a random group of chain healing pubs in unranked that is pretty much immortal, since the amount of focus fire awareness needed just doesnt exist in pugs.

There's an interesting general tendency in all MMOGs I have played/observed so far.

1. In a faction-based system, almost always the "good guys" have generally higher population.

2. This is because the absolute majority of game players -- the "casual/light users", usually flock to the "good guys" before trying out anything else.

3. On the contrary, people looking forward to PvP, or experienced PvP players, have a tendency to flock to the "bad guys" side.

4. This is because generally, PvP players hold some aggressive/sociopathic tendencies, have high egos, and generally suffer from bad-arse wannabe syndrome. :D They crave to become the ultimate bad-arse, "bad guy" and rain down on the "carebear" casual "goody-two-shoes" players who are like sheep to their hungry wolf eyes.

5. Hence, usually in PvP heavy servers the population tendency is reversed, and the "bad-guy" faction have much higher numbers, since a lot of them like the fact that general level of PvP for the "good guys" are low, and it is always an easy kill.

6. From that very fact, some of the higher level PvP players reject being part of a turkey shoot, or shooting fish in barrel, and look for challenge elsewhere. These guys move over to the "good guys" side and start fighting their old comrades, since it is generally more challenging to try and lead a flock of sheep against hungry wolves.

7. Therefore, generally, the "bad guys" have much higher skill level on average.... in turn, the "good guys" have a very few, supreme level players + a lot of low skill players.

There's an interesting general tendency in all MMOGs I have played/observed so far.

1. In a faction-based system, almost always the "good guys" have generally higher population.

2. This is because the absolute majority of game players -- the "casual/light users", usually flock to the "good guys" before trying out anything else.

3. On the contrary, people looking forward to PvP, or experienced PvP players, have a tendency to flock to the "bad guys" side.

4. This is because generally, PvP players hold some aggressive/sociopathic tendencies, have high egos, and generally suffer from bad-arse wannabe syndrome. :D They crave to become the ultimate bad-arse, "bad guy" and rain down on the "carebear" casual "goody-two-shoes" players who are like sheep to their hungry wolf eyes.

5. Hence, usually in PvP heavy servers the population tendency is reversed, and the "bad-guy" faction have much higher numbers, since a lot of them like the fact that general level of PvP for the "good guys" are low, and it is always an easy kill.

6. From that very fact, some of the higher level PvP players reject being part of a turkey shoot, or shooting fish in barrel, and look for challenge elsewhere. These guys move over to the "good guys" side and start fighting their old comrades, since it is generally more challenging to try and lead a flock of sheep against hungry wolves.

7. Therefore, generally, the "bad guys" have much higher skill level on average.... in turn, the "good guys" have a very few, supreme level players + a lot of low skill players.

Star Wars is the exception to the rule of light side more pop. More of the kiddies went dark side.

And Good pvpers don't go to the evil faction because they want to be the "bad guy", they do it because they want to be outnumbered.

I agree with the above. The Empire does not at all dominate on Drooga's and I play a lot there, especially as of late. I have toons on both the Imp and Pub sides there and I consider it to be probably the most balanced server I play on. Imps and Pubs probably win 50/50 like others have said. For example, I won 9 in a row just tonight on my Pub and earlier won 7 in a row on my Imp. However, on Sunday afternoon I lost 11 in a row on my Imp as the better Pub guilds were each running two or three premades. It just really depends on who is on.

Why did you number your paragraphs?

You have to choose a faction, and it's one or the other when you do, so you can't really judge a person based on that, lol.

Server : Red Eclipse.

Status : apart from a few exceptions, people who I highly respect, imps are terribad and clueless. That is really sad, I pretty much gave up on my 50 jugg and rolled a guardian instead, because of how bad imps are.

We have a really good mixture of Rep/Imp players on Jung Ma, and many are quite skilled. We've had a bit of a drop in population lately, but I'm hoping that resolves itself before too long. All in all, it's been a good experience.

That said, I've seen frequent use of hacks/exploits. I've seen speed hacking at least a dozen times. No surprise there.

Three or four times I saw players insta-cap a node. In both Civil War and Voidstar, I saw a couple of players walk up to a door/turret and cap it instantly. No wait, no cast time, no progress bar - nothing. I thought it was some kind of wierd glitch at first, but they just kept on doing it. My latency is usually under 60, so unless the other player found some way to exploit their lag, I don't think that was the case.

In two separate instances, I saw a Marauder and an Operative pretty much solo our entire team. They were 3-shotting tanks and healers, and 4-5 people couldn't burst them down. They were alone, with no healer or tank support. I understand gear discrepancy, but this was WAAAAY over the top. Even in full WH gear, you shouldn't be able to drop 5-6 other players, most of which are also in full WH gear.

The final thing I've seen is some kind of wierd stealth perception. My main is a Shadow tank and I had an Operative blowing me up in 2-3 shots. I never left stealth, but he was always able to pinpoint me moments after I respawned and just lay waste. At first I thought he just got lucky. After the third time it started to feel wierd, so I started hiding in the most random locations, including the far corners of the warzone. He came straight to me - EVERY TIME. From his respawn point, all the way to the opposite corner of the battlefield. He knew EXACTLY where I was, even though I stayed stealthed.

Anyway, that's what I've seen. For the most part, though, things on Jung Ma have been really good. Take care!

Star Wars is the exception to the rule of light side more pop. More of the kiddies went dark side.

And Good pvpers don't go to the evil faction because they want to be the "bad guy", they do it because they want to be outnumbered.

".. you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb. "

I genuinely feel that more Republics players play to play, while many more Imperials players play to win. I think more Imperial players are more inclined to go into PvP with as many advantages as they can afford themselves or more likely, with as little disadvantage as possible. Prepare their gear to win, where as Republic players are more the type to just go for it.

I've had Republic people comment on my Augmented Recruit pieces before like wasting a little bit of money to make things a little better for myself while I'm stuck with certain gear was such a bad thing. I feel even if I only have that 1 piece for 10 warzones, that's 10 warzones I brought as much as I could to try and win. My recruit gear cost me 1mil instead of 300k, I doubt many other Republic players are willing to shell out.

I see a lot of my teammates in the lower bracket have 11k-12k hp while I have 14k and most of the Imps have 13-14k hp. They prepare their gear to give them a better shot at winning. Gear does matter even to bolstered players so do levels. I often have more than half of my teammates in this bracket below level 25, where I will refuse to even go into pvp below level 25. I see I am fighting against many more level 40+ Imperials than I will have my back on my side as well. Nearly Full talent builds vs half or barely existent talent builds is a huge advantage.

-opinions

After launch, most players decided to do republic over sith thus creating an imbalance in population.

"Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder!" -Bender Bending Rodriguez

Either your server is an incredible exception to the rule, or you haven't been playing the game very long. Early on, the Empire outnumbered the Republic on nearly every server to a staggering degree. For example,

A quick Youtube search will get you a dozen more videos just like that one from multiple servers.

Server : Red Eclipse.

Status : apart from a few exceptions, people who I highly respect, imps are terribad and clueless. That is really sad, I pretty much gave up on my 50 jugg and rolled a guardian instead, because of how bad imps are.

If theres one thing i've noticed it's Pubs on Shadowlands tend to have really good teamwork, solo thier ****, grouped up and on the same page thier amazing.

I agree with the above. The Empire does not at all dominate on Drooga's and I play a lot there, especially as of late..

Dudes, you are all on PvE servers. Haha. You all have not point.

Look at the real PvP server, with real Open World PvP attributes like gankin', zergin' etc, for example on ToFN, and you'll see HUGE crowds of imps everywhere. And yes, there are most strongest Imps pvp guilds on WZ too. And yes, Imps obvious much more strong on WZ (but its depends from time of the day).

The funniest part about this thread.... is that he put all this time and effort into writing this huge rant that no one will read and didn't even take other servers into consideration and just assumed they're all the same.

Pretty much none of that is true on my server... quite the opposite in many cases for the parts I skimmed over briefly.

To put things in perspective... just because Chinese people are a minority in the US does not mean they're also a minority in China.

Look at the big picture.

I play on the fatman on both sides and in both brackets. ie 10-49 and 10-50.

From my experience I would say its a time of day issue. At certain times in 50 bracket, the repub faction dominates. At others its the imperial faction. Overall, I would say the pub side is sage top heavy and the imperial side lacking healers in general. Consquently in huttball, pub faction tends to position a sage for force pull at opening. Imps don't seem to have picked up on that yet.

Imps also tend to try for the long shot caps in NC and CW. Repubs tend to be more conservative with middle node and side node fights. Lastly, if I play a healer on pub side, I often get a tank guard without asking. On imp side, I frequently do not get one. And even then, there are few tanks on imp side.

One point I couldn't let pass. You may have heard of World of Warcraft. Where Horde have had more players than Alliance since the Burning Crusade expansion brought in Blood Elves.

edit: across all servers. Many have more Alliance, But then many servers are 99% one side or the other and faction balance is a bad joke.

Edited by Wainamoinen