Interview with Bioware (Gamescom)

Micro_Cuts

Q: Some people say F2P = Pay to win. Thoughts?

Answer: We don't want to harm the game and create a bad system like that. I read a lot on the forums about people complaining about "pay to win" in free to play. .... ... but uh.... well,.... it's a spectrum. You see? Like if free to play is on one end, and pay to win on the other is a subscription based model, and you want to find a balance.

You want vanity items, convenince items, those are easy choices. But then the stuff like ... well.... speeding up XP and leveling faster, especially allowing new players to do things faster.... ... well, that's not exactly pay-to-win. And we would never do pay to win.

Things like: Its a spectrum. finding balance, not exactly.

Those phrases indicate that all things are still on the table and the company was a lot of leeway in deciding if something consitutes P2W.

Only time will tell, but from a political perspective...expect anything they think you will spend your money on.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P2W to me would be a purchaseable competitive advantage for one person over another when it comes to group content (pvp/flashpoints/raiding).

This hybrid model seems to want to encourage F2Pers to subscribe, but there is no incentive to subscribe if someone else is going to steal my raid slot or pwn me in pvp due to their wallet.

I can't see them being dumb enough to go P2W in that form, but then again some think leveling boosts are P2W, so many of the truths we cling to depend on our point of view.

Edited by mdob

Three things:

1. This isn't a community services. It's a for profit long term money maker. Hence the reasons why they only release new information to shareholders. Basic economics: When demands drops, the price drops.

2. Free is free. Pay is pay. Paying a subscription has been described as buying an in game currency you use to access the other things players that don't sub can get by buying $15 worth of in game currency. If you pay for anything, is it by definition free?? Or is someone telling you its free when you are actually paying? Is that the same person you are giving your money to?

3. No one talks about the "free to play" players having to pay for raids. To get the best pve gear and WIN at the tiered after level 50 content, you have to PAY for access to run the raids. WIN ... PAY ... to ... arg. I'm going back to ________ (insert game you were playing before you level capped in TOR).

Q: When did you decide to go free to play?

Answer: We just looked at the market place in general.....

Q: At launch you did?

Answer: Uh.... I just got here in May, so if there was a secret plan to go F2P, I don't know of it. Our game is designed to be a bit of a broader game that appeals to a lot of people, so I think F2P is well suited to our game.

I love these 2. They guy basicaly said: "I got here in May and F2P was on work already, because is a market demand, nothing else". So, at least, this game was set to be F2P since april which means EA knew the drop of subs in july-augost was going to be massive and it wouldn't stop.

Another awesome one:

Q: No AAA MMO has ever gone F2P so soon.

Answer: That's what we're excited about! My philosophy is you should be aggresive and you shouldn't wait until it's too late. We've made great updates, it's light-years beyond where it was at launch and we want to bring back some of the players from the beginning and left. We have group finder, forced character transfers, and a lot of other things.

Lol. Is he implying they put the game in a starship and hit the hyperspace button?, because the game hasn't change too much since launch. In fact most people is leaving because they feel there's not enough content and they don't want to do the same things every day. But if he means it is light-years beyond in boredoom he's completely right.

Another pearl:

Q: I don't want to be a smart-***, but we've been told before that we'll get more updates. And we were told pre-release that subscription based models allow for faster release of content. After launch, did they say to themselves, "We need F2P, so lets spend development time on that now." or did they say "We don't need F2P, we'll worry about developing that later if we need it."?

Answer: Uhhhh I think that uh... we've updated the game a lot since launch, and we've done lots of updates....

Wasn't the game light-years beyond it was at launch?

Q: Any regrets over subscription based model?

Answer: We wish we had more time before launch so we could have all the core features there day one.

Do I have to comment this one?

Q: I don't mean just at launch. 1.1 was a well timed update. Then there was not an update until April with 1.2. It's too long, don't you think?

Answer: Yes, when I started in May I became aware that the game has to be living and breathing and constantly updated. 2 months, 3 months, without anything new? You can't do that it turns out. In some ways for me the most important part of the change we're making is how fast we're going to be updating the game.

And the game is light-years beyond it was at launch. LOL

Q: My friends felt like they "beat' the game when they beat their story. Thoughts?

Answer: Yeah we need to transition away from that. We need the stuff AFTER that to be engaging and exciting to keep players at this point.

They made a monster they don't know how to deal with.

Besides blatant lies, it's clear the game was pushed into f2p since april, thats why there was no new content since 1.2. They rushed the game unfinished. And even for them the lack of end game content is obvious.

Three things:

1. This isn't a community services. It's a for profit long term money maker. Hence the reasons why they only release new information to shareholders. Basic economics: When demands drops, the price drops.

2. Free is free. Pay is pay. Paying a subscription has been described as buying an in game currency you use to access the other things players that don't sub can get by buying $15 worth of in game currency. If you pay for anything, is it by definition free?? Or is someone telling you its free when you are actually paying? Is that the same person you are giving your money to?

3. No one talks about the "free to play" players having to pay for raids. To get the best pve gear and WIN at the tiered after level 50 content, you have to PAY for access to run the raids. WIN ... PAY ... to ... arg. I'm going back to ________ (insert game you were playing before you level capped in TOR).

Um... What?

1) Of course its a business which will change with supply and demand.

2) My sub pays for a constantly updating game. If those updates don't satisfy me I will unsub, (see #1)

3) I don't care about F2Pers winning. If they enjoy the game and want the best gear they can sub. (see #1)

Um... What?

1) Of course its a business which will change with supply and demand.

2) My sub pays for a constantly updating game. If those updates don't satisfy me I will unsub, (see #1)

3) I don't care about F2Pers winning. If they enjoy the game and want the best gear they can sub. (see #1)

For the most part I agree with you. In your number two above you are not entirely correct. Your sub allows you to fully access one of EA/BW product/service offerings (in this case the game SWTOR). Period. It is up to EA/BW to decide what they do with the revenue their product generates. Sinice as you stated in one above "it's a business".

For the most part I agree with you. In your number two above you are not entirely correct. Your sub allows you to fully access one of EA/BW product/service offerings (in this case the game SWTOR). Period. It is up to EA/BW to decide what they do with the revenue their product generates. Sinice as you stated in one above "it's a business".

Sure, they can decide what to do with their revenue, but I decide if I contribute to that revenue next month based on if they've met my expectations this month. Semantics.

Sure, they can decide what to do with their revenue, but I decide if I contribute to that revenue next month based on if they've met my expectations this month. Semantics.

Agreed it's a matter of semantics but it is germain because there are some here on these forums that "feel" that they have a "direct say" over what EA/BW does with the revenue generated by SWTOR. ;)

Agreed it's a matter of semantics but it is germain because there are some here on these forums that "feel" that they have a "direct say" over what EA/BW does with the revenue generated by SWTOR. ;)

Very True. This month I'm paying for whatever service they are providing, and next month I will be paying for whatever service they will be providing, and so on and so forth. However, eventually that well will run dry if they are not meeting player demand. I do think they are trying and I expect SWTOR to be around for a long time.

Oh I was confused about the "free to play" model. So, if someone buys $15 worth of in game currency they will have less access than the people that are subscribed ... for $15 a month.

That was my point, that there is no way they would allow someone buying $15 in game currency to have less access to the game. Why do you thing you subs are getting 150/month back pay for being subbed? You really expect to be held higher than new customers?? Even playing field come F2P launch. Think about that! You'll see! YOU ALL WILL SEE!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! :p

They made a monster they don't know how to deal with.

Besides blatant lies, it's clear the game was pushed into f2p since april, thats why there was no new content since 1.2. They rushed the game unfinished. And even for them the lack of end game content is obvious.

That quote was the one that bothered me as well....heck, most of his answers did. He clearly states that it wasn't until MAY, when he joined, that he realized MMOs had to be "living and breathing and constantly updated."...this dude is now WORKING on the game...to save it?! What MMO experience does he have that this was a revelation?!

Q: My friends felt like they "beat' the game when they beat their story. Thoughts?

Answer: Yeah we need to transition away from that. We need the stuff AFTER that to be engaging and exciting to keep players at this point.

His reply makes it sound like they never really thought this one through. In all honesty, I wonder how many REAL MMO players there were on their team...I'm guessing none. End game is what killed STO and AOC. How the **edit** did Bioware make that exact same mistake?! Did they really believe that because they had a better story than most games, that's all it would take?!

The whole interview is whacky though...I mean, the absolutely blatant lies about pretend content?! I've been here since August last year...We have LESS PvP content than we did at launch. Who is he trying to fool?! 2 FPs, an Op and 1 WZ...in 8 months?!

Edited by TUXs

Oh I was confused about the "free to play" model. So, if someone buys $15 worth of in game currency they will have less access than the people that are subscribed ... for $15 a month.

That was my point, that there is no way they would allow someone buying $15 in game currency to have less access to the game. Why do you thing you subs are getting 150/month back pay for being subbed? You really expect to be held higher than new customers?? Even playing field come F2P launch. Think about that! You'll see! YOU ALL WILL SEE!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! :p

Uhh...ok

But yea BW clearly stated the sub will give you full access to all the content. You won't have to spend your cartel coins. If you buy $15 worth of cartel coins you won't have the same access privileges as subbing customers, your better off paying for a monthly sub.

I think the idea of F2P is to appease those people who only want access to specific parts of the game. Some people are only interested in soloing and don't see the need to pay a monthly sub for essentially a single player experience. There are those he may only want to run 2-3 warzones a month and can pay for those. This may also generate more revenue as there will be people who will spend more than $15 a month in the cash shop to buy novelty and convenience items.

It's also a good marketing tactic to get people to play. If its F2P people won't feel compelled to pay monthly for a game they don't like.

I would still be playing if the content was less story and more planet sized WZ's and FP's. But, they promised a galaxy and delivered a continent.

I have until the 26th until my sub runs out, so I'm still going through the grieving process. I'm close to acceptance, but interviews like these keep pulling me back into the anger stage ... LOL Ermahgerd! Why do I still feel for this game!!:D

I would still be playing if the content was less story and more planet sized WZ's and FP's. But, they promised a galaxy and delivered a continent.

I have until the 26th until my sub runs out, so I'm still going through the grieving process. I'm close to acceptance, but interviews like these keep pulling me back into the anger stage ... LOL Ermahgerd! Why do I still feel for this game!!:D

Because the potential is all there. We ALL see it...it's lack of any direction or motivation from Bioware to do anything that makes players give up hope.

Because the potential is all there. We ALL see it...it's lack of any direction or motivation from Bioware to do anything that makes players give up hope.

Now now TUXs they "do things" ....

They give fluff interviews.

They spin faster than a top on fire.

They give plenty of non-answer answers.

They ... (well you get the idea) ...

See thing are a doing 24/7/365.

:D

Now now TUXs they "do things" ....

They give fluff interviews.

They spin faster than a top on fire.

They give plenty of non-answer answers.

They ... (well you get the idea) ...

See thing are a doing 24/7/365.

:D

You forget one thing my friend, eventually tops stop spinning.

Translated: They are willing to put stuff on the cash shop that speeds up XP gain.

Anyone here think that's Pay-to-win?

Nope. It offers no meaningful competitive advantage. It might have, had it been introduced when everyone was level 1 back in December, but not now. Sure, on a PvP server, you might get ganked by a level 55 when you're still 54 (when the level cap is increased), but that's only going to last a day at most.