SWTOR no longer going to Star Wars Celebration??

Crenshinibon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really we want swag for being at C6. It is a shame but still going to see all the slave Leia.

Yeah I said it why we are really going. :cool:

The problem is, though, that nineteen out of twenty Slave Leias you see really have no business being dressed like that. Granted, that twentieth almost makes up for the others, but until you see her, you're clawing your eyes out in horror.

Bioware could at least send some PR guys. Even if they can't spare any of the devs, they can still (as someone earlier posted) "generate buzz" and give away copies of the $15 game.

While Bioware being there wasn't the only reason I'm attending CVI, I was looking forward to attending the panels. The panels from two years ago were very informative and I was looking forward to a repeat of that.

I mean, come on...SOE is going to have a panel there, and they only thing they have left is what passes for a kiddie Clone Wars "MMO."

Yeah I haven't really gotten into the fray of madness being outwardly critical, but I have to say Bioware this is a huge mistake. You need to put a booth up there to show the commitment to the franchise if nothing else. This is the only Star Wars game in town currently and not to show up to the premier Star Wars event is a massive mistake. You don't even need devs there, but some sort of booth with demos and a company presence is essential just to show you care. There are many who really want this to succeed but backing out on your fan base is not a good PR move at all and may just fuel the fires.

Folks, I wanted to follow up a bit regarding Celebrations. We do apologize for any inconvenience but our dev team is hard at work on the game, and we just couldn’t spare the staff. We just completed Comic-Con and are preparing to attend Gamescom in Germany next week. Stay tuned for updates about future events.

I'm extremely disappointed in this news. My wife and I have attended all but one Celebration and this was our first time taking our kids. My boys and I all play SWTOR and we were looking forward to the panels and meeting developers at the event. This definately wasn't the reason we were going to CVI but we were certainly looking forward to it. I totally get the marketing aspect and the fact the other Con will have much higher attendance but not going to CVI even with a limited staff just seems wrong.

Edited by Isxossk

Folks, I wanted to follow up a bit regarding Celebrations. We do apologize for any inconvenience but our dev team is hard at work on the game, and we just couldn’t spare the staff. We just completed Comic-Con and are preparing to attend Gamescom in Germany next week. Stay tuned for updates about future events.

Thank you for responding to this thread. The news may not have been great, but it was the right thing to do.

Its classic, the only star wars mmo out and it cancels 2 weeks before the celebration.

Was even better is that its a Star Wars MMO and it flops in 8 months. The millions of people out there that are Star Wars fans and they made a game so horrible that it goes F2P in less time it took Warhammer to disolve into 4 servers, now that is classic.

This is an excuse for not announcing it in time? If you couldn't spare the staff, tell the community and don't make the community have to do the work themselves.

Was even better is that its a Star Wars MMO and it flops in 8 months. The millions of people out there that are Star Wars fans and they made a game so horrible that it goes F2P in less time it took Warhammer to disolve into 4 servers, now that is classic.

To be fair, there was a good bit of consideration given to releasing the game as F2P, as that seems to be the wave of the MMO future.

That aside, I have to ask... if the game is "so horrible," then why are you still here?

Maybe this wouldn't have happened if half there staff wasn't laid off...

Strangely I think WAR still had more servers at 8 months than SWTOR does now. Not sure on the respective subs though.

I think it's a bad idea marketing wise to not go there. Just think how many Star Wars fans that you haven't reached yet you could reach and eventually get them to start playing Star Wars: The Old Republic with a good presentation. I really don't understand EA. This is a marketing fiasco.

I understand all of this except...

You are going to Gamescon, in Germany, instead of Star Wars celebration HERE?

Seriously, who in America gives a flying fig about Gamescon. Moreover, I don't see many folks in Great Britain schleping over to Gamescon.

Seriously, Germany? You couldn't spare staff to go 2-3hrs away from TX but you all are going across the planet next week... really. The one Convention you all need to be and being the first time after this game has launched, and you're gonna drop out 2 weeks before :confused:

That really shows support :rolleyes:

Edited by Skyraven

Geeze, who cares?

Chances are BioWare figures anybody who would be interested in this game, who would go to one of these things, has already heard about it. And they'd probably be right.

You are most likely right. Plus there's more money to be made outside the States.In the US the competition is hard and people have low attention span.

Edited by Helistin

I understand all of this except...

You are going to Gamescon, in Germany, instead of Star Wars celebration HERE?

Seriously, who in America gives a flying fig about Gamescon. Moreover, I don't see many folks in Great Britain schleping over to Gamescon.

well the world is bigger than the us and the uk . europe is half of their consumer base . they already went to plenty us conventions

Edited by amona

Very disappointing to here and from a business perspective this makes no sense. You just announced free to play, and here is a PLETHORA of Star Wars fans who will be amped up on Star Wars and you have THE ONLY SW MMO (looking for new players to bolster numbers). Granted a lot of those folks probably play now, but this would be like shooting fish in a barrel of all those that don't.

I was really looking forward to meeting some of the SWTOR team at THE one place where you almost have a duty to be at to help promote the brand.

Again, disappointed but I'm sure my son and I will still have plenty to do. :)

REALLY!? Last Celebration you came and I was expecting a test level of Hoth since it was the 30 years after ESB came out, but you didn't. It was still cool you were there. I live in Florida so it is hard to go to the other side of the country or world to see the dev team. I've been to and I'm going to CV and CVI (respectively) since it is the closest major con to me. I'm also going to (and went before) for my birthday and I was hoping to see the dev team and a panel and get the con exclusive pet....but I guess not anymore :(

If you can't make it at all can people who go to the con or can show we went get the exclusive pet or something to make up for it? Cause I was really waiting for this and it is really disappointing to hear you aren't coming. (Just me two cents, hope you change your mind in time to go! :) )

I'm an avid Star Wars fan, and have been a huge supporter of this game from the time they announced it. I would probably be the last person to gripe about the game or the way BioWare and EA has handled it.

That being said, I'm to the point now where once I finish the class stories, I think I'll be unsubscribing. All of the disappointments in the last eight months, including this, have been laughable. There are better ways to spend time and money.

My condolences, OP.

Edited by twiggie

You are most likely right. Plus there's more money to be made outside the States.In the US the competition is hard and people have low attention span.

In the US everyone that was even remotely interested has already tried this game and either left or stayed (but mostly left) and wont be coming back for another shot whether they show up at Celebrations or not.