Advance Class Respec

OHMYZOD

My whole reason for developing this thread was to re-introduce this discussion with the F2P model coming. The negative nancys that rear their ugly heads are entertaining to say the least. As to the armor comment, yah youd have to get your ducks in a row and square up sorc equivalent armor before respeccing from assassin. The main school of thought from the naysayers is "the devs said this" or " A class is that".... pfffft. The main devs that created the game are all but gone my friend, we are all that remains of that ancient religion. Its time we stop thinking about what Thomas Wayne wouldve done and be responsible gamers. Also, A class is Bounty hunter, Inquisitor and so on. An Advanced Class is simply that... Mercenary, Powertech, Juggernaut. So you guys can quit with all the conjecture. Gimme the Respec.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what the chose 6 months ago.

Meatloaf will still reign as the supreme dinner combination as long as it's teamed up with mashed potatoes and gravy.

You can argue against this all you want. You will lose. We shall see you in the lunch line with your head hung low in shame just waiting for the heavenly taste of the dinner trinity.

My whole reason for developing this thread was to re-introduce this discussion with the F2P model coming. The negative nancys that rear their ugly heads are entertaining to say the least. As to the armor comment, yah youd have to get your ducks in a row and square up sorc equivalent armor before respeccing from assassin. The main school of thought from the naysayers is "the devs said this" or " A class is that".... pfffft. The main devs that created the game are all but gone my friend, we are all that remains of that ancient religion. Its time we stop thinking about what Thomas Wayne wouldve done and be responsible gamers. Also, A class is Bounty hunter, Inquisitor and so on. An Advanced Class is simply that... Mercenary, Powertech, Juggernaut. So you guys can quit with all the conjecture. Gimme the Respec.

So basically you don't want to address the countless points put forth, you just want to ignore them, call us names and belittle us..

How typical..

I'm not aware of ANY MMO that allows CLASS changes. Please enlighten me as to which ones do.

The secret world has no classes. How can there be a class change when there are no classes?

In FF 11, you can change jobs/classes, but you are set back to level 1 of the new job/class.

If people are willing to go back to level one, or even 10, when they change AC's, why not? I'm betting, though, that those same people who want to change AC's because they don't want to put forth the effort to reroll, won't want to put forth the effort to start back at level 1.

See I love this. You asked what is system that allows you to change classes.

So I give you two.

And now you say they are invalid because you have to level for FF XI. Someone already mentioned the aspect of FF XI. But you never stated anything like that you had to keep your max level.

In fact FF XIV also allows you switch classes but you keep a main class level.

Also while they state that the secret world has no classes, you need to fill the role of tank, healer and dd for the dungeons and yea you can level up different abilities and switch them when they are needed.

I do think switching AC classes in this game will not work as it was not build for that intent. But I do think you need to play a few more MMOs before you say none allow switching classes.

A long time ago I stated if you dont want to partake then dont. I mean ive never seen more people get upset about something that obviously doesnt pertain to them than this. If youre happy great, if not then promote the respec. When they released countless legacy perks and such, I was disappointed because I wanted more pvp content. I didnt come and complain here to try and deprive people that asked for it and were interested in the content. Apparently control freaks as yourself cannot help themselves.

ITT

I'm lazy, cater to me. I don't care what BW has said in the past, I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and pretend that they never said anything because I don't want to acknowledge what they said.

And knights have 2 sabers in 'class' and one saber in the other, What a massive change!

Bounty Hunters can get a retractable blade or the ability to 'shoot' their allies with kolto blasts. You would think that would be determined by gear, but nope. Apparently mercs just can't afford to get a blade installed in their armor, just like gunslingers carry two blasters but for some reason never think about getting a stealth belt.

Odd that only 1 of the 4 classes fits your idea and the others have differences that in-game make no sense (although how a sage somehow learns to manage his Force connection 5-6 times better than a shadow, as well as throw debris 3 times farther is beyond me).

They aren't classes-if they were I would be forced to start as one. They are specializations-aka specs. Hell I can play to 50 without ever choosing a 'class' in that sense.

Marauders wear medium armor. Juggs wear Heavy armore. Are you going to sit there and tell me that the skills and rotations are identicle?

As for the rest, you are wrong. There was an interview before launch. The devs said that they are different classes. They said they didnt have the resources to make story lines for 16 classes so this is what they chose to do to get 16 classes in game. EQ2 had a similar model where you picked your class later. Aion had a similar model where you pick your class later. This has all been beaten to death since before launch.

Mage and warlock mechanics are completely different, especially with the soul shard system revamp introduced in Cataclysm.

Mechanics are what make a class a class. Not what weapons they can use, or armor they wear, or group roles they can fill, or abilities they have. Arcane mages and fire mages use almost none of the same spells, but they're still mages. Prot paladins and holy paladins may fill different group roles, use completely different spells and even prioritize different stats, but they're still both paladins.

I'd wager there's more differences between feral and balance druids than there are between the different ACs of the same class in this game.

Going by that philosophy then why cant you turn your knight into a sith. Why cant you turn your BH into a Trooper. They are the same mechanics afterall.

And again, those devs are gone. Obviously the game must evolve due to its current failure. So by all means shoot down money making options that players want and that might satisfy them to stay. You must be a fan of the Highlander movies, because if the game doesnt evolve there will be only 1...... player left that is.

Mage and warlock mechanics are completely different, especially with the soul shard system revamp introduced in Cataclysm.

Mechanics are what make a class a class. Not what weapons they can use, or armor they wear, or group roles they can fill, or abilities they have. Arcane mages and fire mages use almost none of the same spells, but they're still mages. Prot paladins and holy paladins may fill different group roles, use completely different spells and even prioritize different stats, but they're still both paladins.

I'd wager there's more differences between feral and balance druids than there are between the different ACs of the same class in this game.

Mages and Warlocks are advanced classes of the unplayable Wizard class. Paladins and Warriors are advanced classes of the Knight class.

See I love this. You asked what is system that allows you to change classes.

So I give you two.

And now you say they are invalid because you have to level for FF XI. Someone already mentioned the aspect of FF XI. But you never stated anything like that you had to keep your max level.

In fact FF XIV also allows you switch classes but you keep a main class level.

Also while they state that the secret world has no classes, you need to fill the role of tank, healer and dd for the dungeons and yea you can level up different abilities and switch them when they are needed.

I do think switching AC classes in this game will not work as it was not build for that intent. But I do think you need to play a few more MMOs before you say none allow switching classes.

I admitted that FF11 lets you change classes, and even said that if changing your AC set you back to level 1, then fine. I'm not at all invalidating the FF11 allowing you to change classes. I'm just saying that the majority of people who want to change AC's want to do so because they are too lazy to level another class and therefore would not accept being put back to level 1 or even level 10 to change AC's.

The secret world is an invalid comparison in my opinion. There are NO classes. There is still the holy trinity of tank, heals and DPS, but anyone can fill any role. This would be comparable to everyone in WOW being a pally or a druid, with the option to respec freely. Both the druid and the pally classes can fill any of three roles.

I'm actually 100% sure that AC is not the same thing as an actual class.. It's simply that, ADVANCED. It's specialization. They still observe the same basic mechanics that the other AC option does. All AC really is, is a second set of specs. So instead of having Three specs per class, you have six specs, but you have to chose one set of three or the other.

There is too much in common for the two AC's of a basic class to be considered entirely separate entities.

The wow comparisons make me laugh... This isn't wow. Stop using them. Especially stop using the comparisons like they're legit because they're not.

I'm actually 100% sure that AC is not the same thing as an actual class.. It's simply that, ADVANCED. It's specialization. They still observe the same basic mechanics that the other AC option does. All AC really is, is a second set of specs. So instead of having Three specs per class, you have six specs, but you have to chose one set of three or the other.

There is too much in common for the two AC's of a basic class to be considered entirely separate entities.

The wow comparisons make me laugh... This isn't wow. Stop using them. Especially stop using the comparisons like they're legit because they're not.

Daniel Erickson: We have no plans for switching advanced classes - which we see as fundamentally different class designs- but dual spec is in the works and coming soon.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-10th-2012

From the Feb 10th Q&A post, found right here on the SWTOR.com site.

My Guardian fights differently to my sentinal... because they are different classes.

Also thanks for the interview AGAIN.... I mean can you please post it AGAIN 20 more times for me to care. Is that guy even working here anymore? Go find the article about the loss of 1 million subs please.

Then why do guardians and sentinels share the exact same tree: Focus? Its the same for Marauders/Juggs. Yah one can be a pure tank, thats the difference. You telling me a Juggernaut player would have no clue how to play a Marauder if they respecced?

Going by that philosophy then why cant you turn your knight into a sith. Why cant you turn your BH into a Trooper. They are the same mechanics afterall.

If they do faction changes ever, I'm sure they will. There's absolutely no reason to not do so.

There are 16 AC's in the game.. Counting both republic and imperial.. Allowing people to change AC's reduces that effectively to 8 classes.. 4 repulic classes, and 4 imperial classes.. Which is half as many as we have now..

Absurd.

Other than rewarding laziness for not wanting to level another character..

At least this is honest.

So after perusing countless emontional posts from both the players who are adamantly against this concept for 18 pages I'll sum up what they mean, even though it's not what they've said.

What they mean to say is: "I trusted the BW devs. I spent my money and countless hours of my life playing through the same stories over and over. Now other people can have a FOTM PT/Mara without wasting hours of their time too?!?! My feelings are hurt and it's not fair."

You are right. It's not fair. Nor is it fair that you've paid at least $125 to participate in this content that others will get to enjoy for free in a few months. The devs meant it when they said it. Then they lost 1/2 - 2/3 of their playerbase in 6 months. Please try to take your feelings out of this. If AC changes will make BW money they will happen.

The only real argument (not feeling) against this was the person who pointed out need/greed rolls could get very nasty when a Mara rolls need on heavy armor because one day he may swap to Jugg. Is that enough to stop this? Not if it is judged to be a sound business decision to make $EA$ more money.