Remove Security Key?

pischto

The droid app for the security key works just fine and is free. As long as you have internet connectivity, you can set it to auto-sync. It's pretty easy and I'd rather not be hacked. Happened to me in WoW back when I actually cared to play. I got banzored for being a "gold farmer" even though I wasn't on back then. My daggers were gone on one character and I had all these trash items in my bags on another character. It really sucked getting back in again.

Long story short: If you have the key, don't lose it or just get the app for your smart phone. The app is 100% free so I'd suggest that. If you don't have a smart phone, then how are you on these forums from the cave you live on?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from someone that had their account hacked twice in the past, both times because of the company in question getting hacked, having a authenicator is/should be mandated. I know it takes precious time from pwning sith/jedi but it also ensures you do not spend 4 to 9 days not playing because little jimmy stole your account info and is laughing while drinking his 9th red bull (and yes past 2 cans, you can cause problems for your body).

lol

Edited by silverdanta

I just ordered the physical security key, mainly because it's kinda cool, I'm a geek for star wars and it's only like $3 online. My question is this...

When my "physical", not phone app security key comes, will that make the launcher stop asking me my GD security questions? Is there a way to even have the security key and turn off the security questions?

Otherwise I'm gonna edit my 3 security questions and all three answers will be the same, something "like" :cool: "Stupidbioware."

Obviously, in any attempt not to get hacked I would never put my real answers here duh right?

Thanks in advance...

I actually called into customer service yesterday in an attempt to have my security key reset. Reason being, my previous iPod's headphone jack broke and I'm getting it replaced. However, luckily for me, I decided to call ahead of time before going to swap them out. Luckily, the queue wasn't that long and I was being helped after about 10 minutes. But the guy on the line told me that right now they couldn't remove security key apps because they are working on a way to make this service public to everyone. So has anyone else gotten a similar response? Because I really need this iPod replaced and I don't want to be sitting on a broken one because I can't get rid of the security key.

I actually called into customer service yesterday in an attempt to have my security key reset. Reason being, my previous iPod's headphone jack broke and I'm getting it replaced. However, luckily for me, I decided to call ahead of time before going to swap them out. Luckily, the queue wasn't that long and I was being helped after about 10 minutes. But the guy on the line told me that right now they couldn't remove security key apps because they are working on a way to make this service public to everyone. So has anyone else gotten a similar response? Because I really need this iPod replaced and I don't want to be sitting on a broken one because I can't get rid of the security key.

Customer service can absolutely remove a security key...they did it for me. What we, and they, can't do right now is put another mobile one back on after a previous one has been removed.

-HM

Edited by Hollow_Man

Many of these responses in this thread are people saying basically: "Oh, you should have an authenticator/security key, why would you ever remove it? You are so stupid for trying to remove it."

These kind of responses are not helpful, unproductive, and attempt to childishly belittle others. If you will not answer the question being asked, it is better to not say anything. Many of us have important reasons to remove our authenticator, the primary one being: we want to change to a different device for the security key feature because the current one we are using is/will no longer be functional.

One should not have to give a reason of "why," for every tiny thing for fear of being berated by a mob of trolls who, if they thought for just a few seconds, would realize there are totally legitimate and understandable reasons to need to be able to remove the security key feature.

Edited by Frostea

Many of these responses in this thread are people saying basically: "Oh, you should have an authenticator/security key, why would you ever remove it? You are so stupid for trying to remove it."

These kind of responses are not helpful, unproductive, and attempt to childishly belittle others. If you will not answer the question being asked, it is better to not say anything. Many of us have important reasons to remove our authenticator, the primary one being: we want to change to a different device for the security key feature because the current one we are using is/will no longer be functional.

One should not have to give a reason of "why," for every tiny thing for fear of being berated by a mob of trolls who, if they thought for just a few seconds, would realize there are totally legitimate and understandable reasons to need to be able to remove the security key feature.

The question was answered in the first post by me. I also said that you shouldn't remove it because, well you shouldn't, but I also answered the questions. So what's your complaint?

Being able to remove the key from your account page far from defeats the purpose seeing you need the key to log in in in the first place and if the security is there you would need the key itself to also remove it.

You come across as someone who think there opinion is fact and yes you did answer the question but as you can see form the numerous reply your response was a tad ignorant. Remember just because you know an answer to someones question does not make you an authority on any subject.

I activated mine the day the driod app came out, and now would love to remove it, as I simply can not be bothered to access my phone every time I want to log into the site.

I've used the Blizzard one, and they simply allow you to remove it from your account online, after you have entered a code, so why can't EA's/Biowares be the same, instead of having to attempt contact via a very busy call centre?

I just had my security key removed because I'm getting a new phone later today, the thing that sucks is that they told me I won't be able to put a security key back on my account. So don't get the key removed unless you have to(like replacing your phone) cause you won't be able to re-add it to your account afterwards.

I just had my security key removed because I'm getting a new phone later today, the thing that sucks is that they told me I won't be able to put a security key back on my account. So don't get the key removed unless you have to(like replacing your phone) cause you won't be able to re-add it to your account afterwards.

The thing missing from this sentence is ".. at this time".

You will be able to re-apply a security-key to your account as soon as they fix this problem.

The customer-support person I spoke to when I removed my security-key said this problem would probably be fixed very soon.

The thing missing from this sentence is ".. at this time".

You will be able to re-apply a security-key to your account as soon as they fix this problem.

The customer-support person I spoke to when I removed my security-key said this problem would probably be fixed very soon.

Ok, the lady I spoke to did not mention that. Great to hear because I am a huge fan of the added security, had my WoW account hacked a few years ago and it's quite a hassle.

It's not acceptable to call customer service in another country for 1-2 hours (according to the majority of you) just to remove the security key. The ability to remove the security key when you still have access to it should have been implemented from the start.

You need your security key to get into your account page, so I'm not sure how its useless to have a disable option in there. Maybe even ask for another security key when you try to disable it. Or send an e-mail requesting a confirmation. Whatever it takes to not have to call BioWare and wait on hold for 2 hours.

Not everyone needs a Security Key. I found this thread while trying to find a way to turn it off myself. After only a week, I'm tired of looking for my phone every time I log in. The Android app force closes a lot, and sometimes my phone just isn't charged. I have to enter it when I want to post on the forums, or any other little thing. Plus, if I lose my phone, or get a new one, its another hassle.

In the last 17 years of online accounts, I've never had one compromised. Including my WoW account which has only seen one password change in 7 years. There's other ways to be secure. Plus, a security key isn't 100% secure either. Its just an additional password that is stronger than the one you pick.

But for a lot of people, the hassle of a security key is much smaller than the hassle of keeping all your data and computer secure. So more power to those of you. I'm just a little more confident in my other security measures.

Really?! I can't redownload the app and go on with life?

Not if you have BioWare remove the security key. And since you can't have more than one mobile key per account, you can't add a new one while the original is still connected.

It's a bug. They're working on it.

-HM

It's not acceptable to call customer service in another country for 1-2 hours (according to the majority of you) just to remove the security key. The ability to remove the security key when you still have access to it should have been implemented from the start.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I don't see any compromises in the security to add a function such as this as long as the OTP generated from the security key needs to be entered when you want to remove the security key.

Not if you have BioWare remove the security key. And since you can't have more than one mobile key per account, you can't add a new one while the original is still connected.

It's a bug. They're working on it.

-HM

Thats really stupid. They should know people get new phones? They really should've just put a "Disable Security Key" option on your account page. It would've made everything so much easier for everyone.

Its just an additional password that is stronger than the one you pick.
Only if you pick a really stupid one.

8 digits all numeric really isn't very strong. If your password includes upper/lower case letters and symbols along with numbers, and is more than 8 characters long, it will be much stronger than the security key code.

The advantage of the key code is it changes, and far more often than folks change their passwords. And the combination of the two is far stronger than either one alone.

The disadvantage is the key devices themselves are really poorly made junk. I've read posts from folks who got keys that are totally unreadable. Mine isn't that bad, but the farthest left veritcal elements don't always turn on. So if the first digit it gives me is a 5 or a 6, or an 8 or a 3, I sometimes have to guess what it is.

If I see:
_ 
_  
_|

is that a 5 or a 6?
_   _
|_  |_
_| |_|

And is 
_
_|
_|

a 3 or an 8?
_   _
_| |_|
_| |_|

Just means sometimes I have to try it twice, but it's still annoying, and I shouldn't have to be guessing at all.

And with all the money BW has put into developing the game it's pretty sad to see they totally cheaped out on the key devices. They apparently went with some total low-ball Chinese crapware shop, instead of pyaing more for a reputable manufacturer, and now players are paying for their poor decision. Really, I doubt folks who opted to pay $4 for the thing would decide it was too expensive if going with a better manufacturer meant the price was $5.

That's pretty awful if the LCD isn't working properly all the time. The mobile app is fine (if not as snazzy looking as Blizzard's), but the fact that I can't remove it myself, and now that I've had BioWare remove it, that I can't use it again, is inexcusable.

I know they were under pressure to have it available at launch, but a half-hearted implementation that ends up crippling the user is really not acceptable, and they should've waited before throwing it out there if this is the result.

-HM