Remove Security Key?

pischto

I've just cancelled my subscription till they fix that problem - don't want to get stuck with active (paid) account and no way to access it. :mad:

I did that with WoW (closed my account) after I got tired of it and THEN someone hacked my closed account, used some game time certificates to sell off and delete my characters and then put their own security key on the account.

I don't mind the security key, I have it on my Blizzard account, RIFT account and one other - it is a nice bit of protection. I wish I could put it back on my SWTOR account but I am one of those who got a new phone and had to have them remove the old key. It's been two weeks, going on three and so far, no fix.

The key is a good idea, it does help. Removing it via your account page I think is important but calling support on that rare occasion isn't to bad to ask IF and ONLY IF you can get it working again.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deal with an additional 10 secords or less to log in or an utter pain of dealing with a hacked account; you decide.

My WoW account got hacked before they had security keys and i tell you what, i would wait an add'l 5 mins to log in if it meant i am safe from hackers. They destroyed my account and all the years worth of time invested.

I stoped playing WoW after that.

While for some without patience, the security key is annoying... for others that truely know , it's worth the time... so if the security key annoys you, dont use it, get off the forums and stop whining... and wait.. one day you may very well wish you had kept it.

:wea_03:

My WoW account got hacked before they had security keys and i tell you what, i would wait an add'l 5 mins to log in if it meant i am safe from hackers. They destroyed my account and all the years worth of time invested.

I stoped playing WoW after that.

While for some without patience, the security key is annoying... for others that truely know , it's worth the time... so if the security key annoys you, dont use it, get off the forums and stop whining... and wait.. one day you may very well wish you had kept it.

:wea_03:

Quitting after you get hacked even though they restore items and characters... interesting when you talk about patience like that :)

Quitting after you get hacked even though they restore items and characters... interesting when you talk about patience like that :)

Well if they could restore everything would have been ok, but they said they couldnt, i hadnt played in about 2 months due to an illness :(

but i know thats not going to happen with this game :)

/bounce

Word to the wise... PLEASE write down the serial number on the back of your security key. I lost mine once while traveling and there is NO WAY to access ANYTHING to get a replacement unless you have THAT serial number.

If you reinstall the app and put same exact serial codes it wont work anyway, it will generate invalid codes, i did it.

what banks do is tie the account with your cellular number and have the codes sent to you via SMS but I guess this won't work on a lot of players who are playing overseas.

Like others, I'm looking to changing phones but am putting things off for now due to this issue... not going to be pretty paying for the game but not being able to access it and play it. I do hope they look into this matter and resolve it as soon as possible.

It's not acceptable to call customer service in another country for 1-2 hours (according to the majority of you) just to remove the security key. The ability to remove the security key when you still have access to it should have been implemented from the start.

This i agree upon.

If you have your security key you should be able to turn it of by adding your password and by using your security key. Pretty simple really

This i agree upon.

If you have your security key you should be able to turn it of by adding your password and by using your security key. Pretty simple really

Except that the most common reason to want it removed is because you've lost it, so it would be difficult to use it to remove it.:confused:

I have to say it was a little anoying getting mine removed but it took 3 minutes on the phone. I got asked about 8 questions to do with my account purchase etc.. and then it was gone instantly. Once i worked out which menu to go into on the automated service it was ok.

I really don't see the issue with phoning them as i am sure if loads of people who had security codes got there account hacked into and the fault was with removing the code on the website they would go nuts saying it's stupid that you can remove it on the website.

The only issue i see is if you live in a country with no support number and you have to pay internation call rate to remove it.

They need people to be able to remove it themselves.

I see absolutely NO extra security concern doing it via a webpage rather than over a phone.

Phoning up from Australia (where I live) with international call rates is a real pain, especially when people are put on hold for 3 hours.

The way it could work is like this:

Situation A - User no longer wants an authenticator on his/her account.

User logs in (enters generated security code and password) and selects remove authenticator from account options. User has to enter in password, all 3/5 security questions, enter in the security code a second time (double check) and the authenticator serial number.

-Authenticator removed

Situation B - User has a broken authenticator.

User gets to login page and selects broken authenticator link. User need to enter password, answer security questions and provide the serial number located on the authenticator.

-Authenticator removed

I removed my Physical key yesterday.

I took a whole 10min

I called, got somone who had Broken ENGRISH

I hung up, waited 1 min.

Called again, got somone who could speak english.

He fixed it.

Then i was able to use my phone app instead.

I removed my Physical key yesterday.

I took a whole 10min

I called, got somone who had Broken ENGRISH

I hung up, waited 1 min.

Called again, got somone who could speak english.

He fixed it.

Then i was able to use my phone app instead.

How long were you put on hold? lol

Just got a new phone and forgot about the security key. Thought it was going to be like

WoW where you can just switch it over. Nope. But calling was less painful than expected. Woman was nice, barely spoke english but got the job done. She also mentioned not to install a new mobile one because they're having issues with them. Oh well. Was on the phone for less than 5 min. Only took that long because I needed to repeat my email address about 5 times so she could understand it.

Edited by MitchMeister-

I predict problems when the battery dies in the Collectors Edition physical key device. As it is, I have to press the button on it to get the security key every time I log in and it's a different number each time...lol Not to mention, I don't see any way to open and change the battery. Crazy...

I predict problems when the battery dies in the Collectors Edition physical key device. As it is, I have to press the button on it to get the security key every time I log in and it's a different number each time...lol Not to mention, I don't see any way to open and change the battery. Crazy...
Um... that's the way it's supposed to work. If the display never shut off, the battery wouldn't last nine weeks, much less nine years. If the number never changed, it wouldn't be worth the probably less than $0.50 it cost to make it, never mind the $4 BW charges for it.

Not having an obvious/easy way to open it and change the battery, however, could indeed become a problem.

Um... that's the way it's supposed to work. If the display never shut off, the battery wouldn't last nine weeks, much less nine years. If the number never changed, it wouldn't be worth the probably less than $0.50 it cost to make it, never mind the $4 BW charges for it.

Not having an obvious/easy way to open it and change the battery, however, could indeed become a problem.

Cannot replace the battery, because the system clock that defines the code is matched with the SWTOR website clock, disabling or removing the battery would immediately put it out of sync.

You have to call Customer Service. It really wasn't a hastle at all for me though. They were very friendly and very understanding. I had a lady who had a French accent but she wasn't too hard to understand. They ask for your email and asked for two security questions. It took about 3 minutes total, really.

Good luck.

I'm not really looking forward to spell my mail-address...it has 35 characters.

I still would like to have a removal and/or re-register a new device via the website.

I asked on twitter if they were planning to implement this on the website. The answer was I have to call the customer support for removal....even though this was not my question. So the future of this feature is still uncertain.

If you have a smart phone (droid or iPhone) I HIGHLY recommend using the app (as other have said) because they are reliable and won't go out of sync.

I personally didn't have any issue with my token (I got one for FFXIV) but I always prefer to use my iPhone instead.