Anyone else.. underwhelmed?

Jowy

I was really having fun, taking my time, enjoying the storyline on my Jedi Consular ..then..i got to Coruscant and after about 10 mins in that place lost the will to play.

Underwhelmed, yep i should say so.

After leaving the very linear starting area I wanted to get out on a new planet, explore..do stuff like that.

I loathe Coruscant, the hemmed in feel, all the metal, the constant running to and from quests in another equally bleak area.... well you know what i mean.

I know i shall escape this metal prison one day and will eventually push through it by only spending about 10mins at a time there in one sitting before caving in and playing my Empire alt, but i have to say it has put a dent in my enthusiasm.

Eh, thats just me though no doubt there are people who love Coruscant, just wish i was one of them:(

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having fun playing the game ..

Of course I'm not like some of you guys looking for a long tern commitment I understand its a game to pass the time.

Your not getting married ..just saying .

Yeah that always bugs me too, people feel like they're on a battleground when in forums. You don't have to defend the game. It is imperfect, it has good stuff, it also has bad stuff. Most games do. People weight those things differently.

Not really. I'm actually enjoying an MMO for the first time since EQ2. I've been looking for a replacement for EQ2 for a couple of years now. Age of Conan didn't do it. Rift didn't do it. WoW was never my cup of tea. Couldn't get into EVE. But SWTOR just might be the one. I'm having a great time and for the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to going home and logging into the game. I think they need to add a few things and I'm sure they will down the line. And of course the server queues are annoying but for the time being I'm just rolling toons on less populated servers and trying out the different classes.

I agree, I posted on it as General Thoughts: They go like this

Overall I think the combat system is stale, very 4 years ago. I was really hoping for a more 3 person-ish style action combat, with aiming, block, super jumps, sprinting, and the sort. Also so far I picked the type of character -Jedi Knight- and now all the choice are being made for me, I guess to you get the second choice of a special track. - Meh - Give me a list of force powers or whatever track you decided and the cost in XP and let me choose what I want or something similar.

So far its been boring

As someone who wants to experience all the class stories, the linearity in planet choices is worrying me. As much as people don't like WoW comparisons, truth is that even back in Vanilla, you could roll 2 characters and have very little quest overlap - there were multiple zones that fit a level range. I could do only the story quests, but then I'd eventually end up underleveled and undergeared if I skip all the side quests.

Most of my fears have been realized, unfortunately.

- The interface makes healing more a chore than fun. Have to look all over the place to make sure you and the party stay healed. Targeting companions in a mixed group requires extra key strokes. And I can go on, but anyone that has healed for any length of time recognized the regression in the interface.

- The Flashpoints might be super cool--but unless you join a large guild or are willing to spend a considerable amount of time spamming chat, you'll never see any of the Flashpoints between Black Talon and end game. There just aren't enough players in the Fleet zone to fill a group. The players are spread out on the planets working on leveling.

Don't have a lot of confidence the game will retain subscribers much past March. With five years in development, the idea the interface and grouping issues will be fixed in short order aren't realistic. But I guess there is a minor upside--at least the queues will disappear. Of course, there will probably be some empty servers--further accelerating the rate of players quiting. If the player base drops too much, the likelihood of EA dumping more money into the project becomes slim. With less development dollars stuff like new content and "to be added after launch" items take longer to be delivered--if they are delivered at all.

I guess the tl:dr--TOR could have been a contender.

1) You look to the left to see your party members health bars....so what's this about it being "all over the place"?

2) I didn't have this problem...must be your server

3) Your feelings have no bearing on the game's future success, really.

Edited by Eclio

The only thing I'm underwhelmed with are the UI options and the textures, which I'm pretty sure they will improve both.

Other then that it's exactly what I expected. A story driven game where conversation choices affect gameplay. Pretty much the exact system they used in KOTOR, Mass Effect, and Dragonage.

Edited by Fredcat

Good points here!

I Personally love exploring, wich at least in the starting planets doesn't give much room for that.

Wait intil the later worlds. They are HUGE!

The instanced worlds part makes it feel less crowded. I rather see alot of people...

I have a feeling that as time goes on, they will increase the amount of toons per instanced world as server stability is established.

1) You look to the left to see your party members health bars....so what's this about it being "all over the place"?

2) I didn't have this problem...must be your server

3) Your feelings have no bearing on the game's future success, really.

1) I'm guessing you haven't healed in the game. Sure your party health bars are on the right. Where is your health bear? Is it with the party? No--it isn't--your personal health is in the center of the screen. And what about companions? I've been running with Heroics with companions--notice the size of the companion bars?

2) Guess it is just my server. So far no queues--guess there are ups and downs to everything. Sure wish we had more players on my server that wanted to stand around Fleet until a group got formed.

3) I wish Vegas had odds. Remember this post come March. We'll see who is right.

Edited by Zhit

So if you aren't playing more then what 8-10 hours a day this game is crap? Maybe your priorities have changed. Real life has more of a draw on your time over game play. I know that I am enjoying the slower pace. I may only play 6ish a day on my weekends but its not a race and I am having fun.

As long as you are having fun I don't understand the underwhelming part of your problem. This game is amazing, it is a fine wine to be savored, not rushed. Its a real shame so many people are disregarding this game because they can't do end game content the first week.:confused:

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short so people actually read the first post this time. I always anticipated that when SWTOR launched, I would be playing it pretty much 24/7 for the next few weeks. Afterall, I've followed it since 2008 when these forums came out, checking out every friday update and listening to every ToroCast podcast each week. I was really pumped just before getting access, couldn't wait to play!

Then I got in and... I don't know. I just feel really underwhelmed. I don't feel like playing more than an hour a day. And the funny thing is, I really enjoyed the game so far! It's pretty damn perfect and exceeded alot of my expectations. But why do I feel underwhelmed? I don't know... Somehow, something just killed my hype. Maybe it's one hour server queues? Maybe the fact that people are at 50 when I'm at 10? I dunno..

Anyone else feel underwhelmed by launch?

This sounds like what happens to a kid when he sneaks a peek at all his Christmas presents before Christmas. Christmas day is thus very underwhelming because he already knew everything he was getting.

Personally, beyond watching trailers here and there I left my presents wrapped and now I'm having a blast!

This game exceeded my expectations and I am ecstatic.

The only reason I can imagine people would be disappointed with this game is:

1. They have barely played the game at all/have not given it a chance.

2. They expected something drastically different and game changing to the point of extreme risk of being a terrible game.

3. They wanted Star Wars Galaxies 2.

4. They hate the story and want a mindless grinding MMORPG.

5. They don't like that certain features have not been added yet and are focusing entirely on this.

This game is amazing. I am not left wanting.

actually it breaks down like this

10 hours of gameplay

moving around at a slow jog - 7 hours

fighting -1 hour

character development - 30 seconds

Bathroom and food/drink breaks - 1:54:30

Hitting the spacebar to get though the endless chatter: 5 minutes

I have played some fantastic STORY driven games, this is not one of them so far, it is conversation driven, big difference.

I have played MMOs that were way more fun, and games in general for that matter. I wont get into specifics, but they went the wrong direction with this one.

Of course there will be people who will play anything with the starwars label on it, but ask yourself, if you have a voice in development, is this what you would come up with?

Edited by ryolacap

My feeling is that after all the time and $$ they've thrown into this game.. it's perfectly okay to feel underwhelmed.

1) Sub-par and very basic crafting system - nobody buys anything because there are SOOOoo many quests that give you items that there's no point to spend 1k-2k credits to buy a rare blue or purple item that gives very little marginal benefit (which isn't needed given the ease of the game).

2) Buggy galactic market that is underutilized because they don't have nearly enough stations to interact with the market at. And as mentioned above, almost no reason to buy anything, especially when crafting is so dang expensive that you're better off spending your credits on that to make any decent items of your own that you want.

3) Space combat.. really, this is today's MMO version of space combat??? So incredbily disappointing.

4) You can't interact with the environment other than specifically designed things you can hit that blow up and damage nearby enemies. You don't feel part of a real world - it feels like you're playing on a plastic world.

5) Quests, quests, quests... very little to do outside of just running quests. No real adventure/exploration. No dungeons. Just run from one quest giver to the next, killing very easy enemies on the way.

6) Very little challenge unless you run flashpoints. And even those aren't too bad if you have healers and the group isn't completely incompetent.

7) Feels like upgrading equipment has very little point to it. I notice very little difference in performance when I swap out purple crafted gear compared to the green stuff I get from quests.

8) PVP is rather dull for the most part. Just a bunch of people jumping around killing each other. No purpose other than to build up points to buy gear. No rankings, no benefit to guilds, no meaning in the grand scheme of things in the Empire v. Republic battle.

9) No real feeling of a global war that you impact. PVP outside of warzones is nonexistent.

10) Guild functionality and value is nonexistent. No guild house/ship/area to hang out in. No guild rankings or levels. No point other than guild chat.

Now, granted, some of the zones are pretty fun.. The Balmorra war zone is interesting and fun to play around in. Probably my favorite area so far. But places like Shada are dulllll. Just running around clearly defined and limited corridors killing less than intelligent humanoid enemies. Even if I get an add from a ^ mob, I'm not going to die, so there's no reason to worry about it and watch the one or two wandering mob's pathing.

The game is also very polished from a production standpoint. The voices are fine, but frankly i skip through most of them unless I'm questing with some friends to enjoy the experience.

I have been with swtor since 09 and I was excited, and when I got to Beta test the game was near perfect, well past my expectations. Then come early game access, I was (and still am) engrossed in this game. I play about 5-10 hrs a day and I cannot see how this game gets old for some people. It is an awesome game with awesome graphics, I have had no lag or crash issues, just an all around great experience. Slow down, take your time, have fun....this game is awesome :D

This sounds like what happens to a kid when he sneaks a peek at all his Christmas presents before Christmas. Christmas day is thus very underwhelming because he already knew everything he was getting.

Personally, beyond watching trailers here and there I left my presents wrapped and now I'm having a blast!

Yeah you'd think so, but then again I chose to stay out of beta and to not follow news closely close to launch. But people who already played in beta are enjoying this game! So it's probably something else..

I just got my code to redeem the acount and the next step is to enter a subscription.. I must admit I didnt eventer anything and decided to see whats going on in 30 days... I understand where your coming from.

Same thing happened to me. I just wasn't sure I wanted to start a sub.

Tbh, I'm a bit underwhelmed about pvp. Mind you I'm only level 22 and don't have my full skillset yet. The PvE aspect of the game is great though (as a jedi cons).

I will say this... this game being 8 hours away from official launch is the absolute best game @ launch time. Give it a couple of months to a year from now and I'm betting it will go from pretty epic to ... well ... I think you get the point!

Huh? I'm judging the game based on what I'm playing right now.. this isn't beta, this is live. It's also the game I paid for.

There were many games that had many grand plans... that were not good games.

SWTOR is fun. I'm enjoying it. But it has a LOT of deficiencies and areas for improvement. It's a very stale game.

I disagree I think this is the most fun and exciting MMO yet

Why is your opinion more valid than mine?

:rolleyes:

I think its possible that playing MMOs, probably one particular other MMO for up to 7 years creates a sort of tangible mass of...something in that part of your brain. You know its no good anymore or at least, doesn't thrill you anymore but you're conditioned to it. You want to replace it with something else or have been waiting for something to come along and fill the absence of it from when you finally left.

What some people are failing to realize is that perhaps, they are over MMOs or their enthusiasm had waned significantly for them but they don't know how to cope. They remember how engrossed they were when playing at some point in the past and take that experience, plug the promise of SWTOR into it, and expect to be back to that place or somewhere 'better'. But....it might not happen.

/shrug. Its not a religious experience. You're a few years older than your probably best times playing another MMO. Things have changed, you have changed. Doedn't mean you ought to uninstall the game and walk away but instead find balance.

Find other things to do and don't depend on the launch of a new MMO consume you. So what if you're not the first player to max level or ready to rule the galaxy? Just play and have fun. Take it for what it is.