ea conference call figures july 31st

Gaxar

My guess is the numbers are embarassing to the point they don't even want to mention the numbers(aka change the subject if someone asks about swtor)

True, I guess it really depends on how many people actually have a 3 or 6 month sub. No matter what, I've always paid month by month. Cost a bit more, but it's reassuring to know I can cancel anytime, instead of believing promises that end in Soon™.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the numbers won't look bad because none of the 6 month subs have rolled off yet. The next quarter will be the actual numbers that reflect the 6-month players that are still paid up but aren't playing or will stop in August.

Not just 6 month people, it'll also include people who did two 3-month subs.

Not convinced the number of people signed to a 6 month sub is a very significant figure.

Regardless, yes it will be interesting to see their definition that accompanies the figure given.

Unless you are crazy, you can't cheat on one of these Investor calls.

How they define sub numbers is upto them. But they need to report as per their definition exactly and cant bloat those.

I do not believe they have to give sub numbers and can fudge them around to mislead people. Not directly lie but mislead by answering a question with a answer to a different question.

Q How many paying subs are there?

A We have 800k players currently playing the game and are looking for more to subscribe with the trial to level 15 that is being offered.

The numbers they cant mess with are the $$$$$$$.

People said that about Diablo III, we wont know until its released, will we?

I, for one, saw Diablo 3 for what it is: A loot-wh0ring single-player RPG that had its time, and is now dead/subject to grind by Korean fanboys due to total lack of endgame content. However, Guild Wars 2 is an MMO (99.95% of people don't have the will nor the time to play two MMOs simultaneously), and a good one if you can trust all the gameplay footage and personal experiences of about 10 hours. I see no reason to stick around in TOR when Guild Wars 2 hits the scene with its vastly superior PvP experience.

Edited by cs_Kimmo

People said that about Diablo III, we wont know until its released, will we?

Very true. But watching GW2 gameplay, looking to make sure nothing in GW1 or GW2 cash shop is P2W (and nothing is, YAY!), and some of the history of ArenaNet (they were the higher ups that made games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo I & II). Plus coming back to tell what's left of my guild that I'll be departing for GW2, only to have most of them tell me they played the GW2 BWE3, and they were leaving as well... Combined with Kung Fu Panda expansion exactly a month later... His estimation is optimistic IMO.

Edited by Katsuragisama

You going for Head Fanboy title?

If EA try claiming 1 mill subs...that is a blatant lie. They can cook the figures to show any result. They are rushing the report so they can include the 3 and 6 month subbers in their numbers, before they all leave on the 17th.

Also, EA are underhanded enough to include every free to lvl 15 account as a +1.

If they were being totally honest...they'd be lucky to have 300-500k subs left...for 3 more weeks anyway. Basically, whatever numbers EA declare, half it and you are closer to the truth.

lol! Yea... because you are not biased at all. Listen very carefullly, they, that is EA, can not lie to investors. There are legal and financial repercussions. They will give investors closed data. That is the data they have as of the must recent financial analysis which is today. What subs will do tomorrow or in 30 days or 60 days is a forecast, not actuals. Got it?

If the numbers don't "jive" with your views on the state of the game, so sorry. Oh yes, you can hmm and ahh at the timing of the call, the 6 month subs, the release of GW2 etc. etc, but that doesn't matter to investors today.

Don't let your hate make you irrational. If the numbers are what you expect kudos. If not, you can whine all you want but it wont' change the numbers.

Claiming a company would lie, do things underhandedly, and then posting wild accusation numbers is being a Realist now?

Must be a generation thing.

He never suggested they would lie, he simply said they would bend the truth, which is basically something that all MMOs do when counting sub numbers.

Typically, free trials, accounts that haven't been active but are still being paid on and so on, can all legally be counted as actual active subscriptions, which really isn't lying, but it certainly isn't being truthful either.

He isn't suggesting something that most of us aren't already aware of, so really, why try to argue a commonly accepted fact by making wild accusations about someone who is simply stating the obvious?

Must be a generational thing.

He never suggested they would lie, he simply said they would bend the truth, which is basically something that all MMOs do when counting sub numbers.

Typically, free trials, accounts that haven't been active but are still being paid on and so on, can all legally be counted as actual active subscriptions, which really isn't lying, but it certainly isn't being truthful either.

He isn't suggesting something that most of us aren't already aware of, so really, why try to argue a commonly accepted fact by making wild accusations about someone who is simply stating the obvious?

Must be a generational thing.

You are not a realist. He is not a realist for autoassuming a company would lie. That's being a skeptic, a pessimist, or maybe even jaded.

I had to unignore you just to see your post. I didn't have you ignored because you're a "realist".

You are not a realist. He is not a realist for autoassuming a company would lie. That's being a skeptic, a pessimist, or maybe even jaded.

I had to unignore you just to see your post. I didn't have you ignored because you're a "realist".

Counting trials and any account that has had time on it (paid or free) in the last billing month isn't "lying", it's basically the MMORPG standard for "active accounts". :confused:

Nobody suggested that anyone would lie, nobody is being skeptical, nobody is being pessimistic.

We are assuming that like every other company that has ever had their hand in a MMO, that they will not SIMPLY give us the count of completely active subs.

By an active sub I mean a sub that is currently being *paid* for and has been active in the last 30 days. That is what most people would define as an active subscription. A six month sub that hasn't actually been logged into in the last three months isn't very active, trial accounts are not active subscriptions, yet both of these examples will undoubtedly be counted in their subscription count.

You had me on ignore because you cannot handle conflict and would obviously prefer a one line jab followed by ignoring your target to resolving a disagreement. I am sorry that you don't like what I've said and can't find anything to agree with in it, but it doesn't make you right just because you label anyone that doesn't agree with you as a pessimist.

Edited by Celebrus

Is pointing out that WoW plays a tad loose when it comes to counting subs being a realist?

Is pointing out that WoW plays a tad loose when it comes to counting subs being a realist?

It's been that way since long before WoW, EQ1 sub numbers were quite clevely massaged by SoE way, way before WoW was a twinkle in anyones eye.

In fact I'd go as far as to say people have been releasing positive figures since earlier humanity learned to count. :D

EA has to answer more for BF3's disaster compared to Activisions product to their investors. It's a way bigger disaster than SWTOR.

EA will also probably blabber about the new SimCity and how it's going to be their salvation and how it is going to be the biggest thing to happen to gaming since Doom.

I dont expect to see more than a couple of lines on SWTOR.

It's been that way since long before WoW, EQ1 sub numbers were quite clevely massaged by SoE way, way before WoW was a twinkle in anyones eye.

In fact I'd go as far as to say people have been releasing positive figures since earlier humanity learned to count. :D

Hey, we agree on something. :D

It is the corporate culture to present information with a positive spin on it, without breaking the law in the process. If as a corporation you put a negative spin on information you present... then they get accused of being just another random member of a gamer forum. :D

Conversely it is gaming forum culture to acuse every company and every forum member of distorting information, lying, positioning black helicopters above the members house and crawling through the doggie door and eating the dogs food while the member is asleep. :p

In other words.... human nature at work here.... and the dog is hungry because someone snuck in and ate his food.

Edited by Andryah

It was pretty hard for eq or daoc to lie about their numbers, back then all mmos had their server numbers visable at all times, so everyone knew very well when a game was doing good or bad.

And yes i agree that all mmo companies try to blur reality and make their numbers come out better than they are, that doesnt change the fact that bw/ea has obviously done this in a very big way in the past making people automaticly assume much lower figures for any sub numbers they come up with in the future.