Soooo.. GW2 is coming and you do nothing to keep the PvP-Players here?

Fyda

The OP was making a valid point. This is a point that he shouldn't have to even make though as Bioware is becoming notorious for giving out vague information or none at all. Really, if they would release a little more info on upcoming stuff other than the "we can't say much about this." or "sometime this year." they wouldn't have an issue. Sure, they have said they have plans for Ilum, but what are those plans? Is it going to be something so cool it blows everything out of the water, or is it going to be put on the back burner? What about all of the other issues that people seem to have? I love Bioware, but really they need to be talking to the community a little more. SOE made these mistakes with SWG a long time ago and learned that lesson the hard way. Eventually clamming up is going to bite them on the arse and everyone will suffer for it.

It's not GW2 that everyone should be afraid of. It's this company and EA they should really worry about. I'd be a lot more excited if I got some info on Ilum. That would make my day, and make me more excited for the future of this game. As it is...there is no eta on pretty much anything.

Edited by Prenavo

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your opinion. Just as his in his opinion it is terrible. Simply because you believe it to be 'amazing' does not make it so. Furthermore, simply because you believe it to be 'amazing' at this juncture when you have not had a great deal of time to play the game, does not mean you will be feeling the same way a month after purchasing it.

I myself have played the beta. I did not like it. I do think that SWTOR is better. I also think that WoW is better. However SWTOR will without a doubt lose a great many subscribers to GW2. As the OP pointed out, Bioware is not only tight lipped, but also take FAR too long to develop new content.

At this point lets be honest, SWTOR is not worth its subscription fee for a PvPer. Minor content updates every 4-5 months is not acceptable. If you are a casual PvPer, why not play GW2? You basically get a game where your gear doesnt matter and you dont have to pay a subscription fee for. Whereas with SWTOR you pay $15 thats supposed to cover new content, except there isnt any.

Had they held their promise of consisnently releasing high quality content, i do believe the game would not only retain a great more subscribers but also attract new ones.

There'll be plenty of hardcore PvPers in GW2 as well (there already are). Lets be honest, GW2 is first and foremost, a PvP game. Any PvPer that enjoys the combat style, will most certainly be playing GW2.

There'll be plenty of hardcore PvPers in GW2 as well (there already are). Lets be honest, GW2 is first and foremost, a PvP game. Any PvPer that enjoys the combat style, will most certainly be playing GW2.

No doubt it will have hardcore PvPers. But i highly doubt the game has sustainability in that regard. It currently lacks many of the systems hardcore PvPers want, ie arena, rating/ranking systems. Unless they add some of these things in soon after launch. The tournament system is nice but it lacks the depth of ranking or rating system.

At this point the game is over hyped for no reason other than the fact fanboys love to hype up every new MMO release and then quit shortly after.

It is pretty foolish for anyone to say with certainty that it is the best MMO where PVP is concerned or otherwise that they will be playing the game in the long term. No one has played the game consistently enough and long enough to make that determination. You dont know how much you like a game until you know how it stands up to repeated play. Every new game is fun for a while simply because its new and exciting. Time and time again the same people have hyped up a new MMO as the greatest thing and made claims of quitting their current MMO and turned around a month later saying the game is a dissapointment. Point being its far too early to tell.

Until you have played GW2 for 6months+ and tell me that its still the best MMO and its PvP is the best, you're just a thoughless fanboy making a poorly reasoned and foolish claim.

Edited by Gidoru

In your opinion. Just as his in his opinion it is terrible. Simply because you believe it to be 'amazing' does not make it so. Furthermore, simply because you believe it to be 'amazing' at this juncture when you have not had a great deal of time to play the game, does not mean you will be feeling the same way a month after purchasing it.

I myself have played the beta. I did not like it. I do think that SWTOR is better. I also think that WoW is better. However SWTOR will without a doubt lose a great many subscribers to GW2. As the OP pointed out, Bioware is not only tight lipped, but also take FAR too long to develop new content.

At this point lets be honest, SWTOR is not worth its subscription fee for a PvPer. Minor content updates every 4-5 months is not acceptable. If you are a casual PvPer, why not play GW2? You basically get a game where your gear doesnt matter and you dont have to pay a subscription fee. Whereas with SWTOR you pay $15 thats supposed to cover new content, except there isnt any.

Had they held their promise of consisnently releasing high quality content, i do believe the game would not only retain a great many more subscribers but also attract new ones.

In red basically sums it up. TOR has, without a doubt, THE BEST questing/leveling system from the MMO's I've played. They've done a flawless job, in my opnion. 1-49 was possibly the most fun I've had an in MMO (both PvP and PvE). However, I could care less for PvE. I've only done 2-3 Ops and a few FPs the entire time I've been subbed to TOR.

Just my 2 cents.

At this point lets be honest, SWTOR is not worth its subscription fee for a PvPer. Minor content updates every 4-5 months is not acceptable. If you are a casual PvPer, why not play GW2? You basically get a game where your gear doesnt matter and you dont have to pay a subscription fee. Whereas with SWTOR you pay $15 thats supposed to cover new content, except there isnt any.

Pretty much this.

Half such as what? Care to list the things that SWTOR has, that GW2 does not? Again, I have a good time playing SWTOR...but the silly dismissal of GW2 by SWTOR fanboys is a bit ridiculous. Is it possible that the game you're playing isn't the only good game in the world?

Yes, I could go into specific detail, but it wouldn't change the fact that it's still my opinion. I'm not saying that SWTOR is by far superior in every way and there is no reason to play GW2, I simply stated that I prefer SWTOR over GW2. Obviously there is more than one entertaining game in the world. Maybe you should take people's opinions for what they are and stop mistaking them for facts?

Who says you only have to play 1 game? I'm going to play the game that is most fun to me regardless of what you people say; whether that's SWTOR, GW2, or some other game depends on what I prefer. There is no right or wrong answer here people. Although, I did expect BW to release some kind of new content around the time GW2 released. Maybe they're waiting until after the initial wave of hysteria and excitement of the release of GW2 to release new content to draw the people back who weren't quite satisfied with GW2.

Even though they are considered competitors simply because they are both MMO's, they are two completely different games with two completely different focuses.

Edited by DimeStax

Who says you only have to play 1 game?

The people who actually work for a living or go to school. If you just stay at home all day and play games im sure its pretty easy to play more than one. But why would someone who only has a couple hours a day or even a of couple hours a week to play pay a subscription for a game they dont even have much time for?

Edited by Gidoru

I really do like the PvP in this game, what i am upset by is the lack of any sort of balance, AND no open world pvp! i mean cummon... that is the main reason i will play GW 2 is because of the huge 50 v 50 v 50 battles that are plain and simply..... EPIC! and the keeps and castles and game bonuses to PvE by playing WvWvW. this game has no resemblance of open world pvp. its my biggest gripe.

Hi!

How about some balance changes? How about structured PvP for 1-49? How about a reworked Ilum? How about some change to current Warzones to make them less zergy and more objective based? How about Arena? How about a possibility to make Tournaments? How about a freaking duel zone on the fleet?

The warzones are already objective based, how do you think they can be made more objective based?

Arena sucks

You can organized tournaments yourself.

A place to duel on the fleet is the only one I agree with.

The people who actually work for a living or go to school. If you just stay at home all day and play games im sure its pretty easy to play more than one. But why would someone who only has a couple hours a day or even a of couple hours a week to play pay a subscription for a game they dont even have much time for?

Because they want to? Because they prefer the game over the other? Just because it's free and has pvp doesn't mean it's necessarily more fun for all PvPers and the better choice. It's entertainment and people are going to play what they WANT to play, not what's just convenient or cheaper. Otherwise no one would be playing SWTOR, everyone would be playing GW1 as of right now; it has PvP and it's free isn't it?

Edited by DimeStax

Because they want to? Because they prefer the game over the other? Just because it's free and has pvp doesn't mean it's necessarily more fun for all PvPers and the better choice. It's entertainment and people are going to play what they WANT to play, not what's just convenient or cheaper.

If the prefer one game over they other why would they both play? Particularly when time is limited?

If you only have a couple hours a week, then why are you paying for a monthly game anyway? Yes, you better play just the one game if that is the case, but it is a waste of money in the first place in my eyes. For those that play a couple hours a day, it's pretty easy to play multiple games and many people do so. You don't have to devote all your free time to do so either. I work. I play multiple games if I feel like it.

If the prefer one game over they other why would they both play? Particularly when time is limited?

Why don't you ask them that? You're basing your argument on a hypothetical situation that would be individualized person to person. Bottom line is that unless the person has time to play both, they are going to play the game they enjoy the most. Period. It doesn't matter if it's free or not; I'm not going to spend my time playing a game I don't want to play.

GW2 isn't the only Free to Play game; several other MMO's recently went F2P. If players only made their gaming choices based on price they would already be in one of these other F2P MMO's with PvP in it; including GW1.

Edited by DimeStax

Why don't you ask them that? You're basing your argument on a hypothetical situation that would be individualized person to person. Bottom line is that unless the person has time to play both, they are going to play the game they enjoy the most. Period. It doesn't matter if it's free or not; I'm not going to spend my time playing a game I don't want to play.

So....... essentially you make a remark that people play more than one game. And now you are suggesting that people will only play one game, the one that they like best?

Way to contradict yourself.

Honestly what point are you trying to make?

Edited by Gidoru

So....... essentially you make a remark that people play more than one game. And now you are suggesting that people will only play one game, the one that they like best?

Way to contradict yourself.

Honestly what point are you trying to make?

I asked the question, "Who says we only have to play one game?" because I certainly play more than one game sometimes. Then you said that you were specifically talking about casual players who don't have time to play both games, so in response to that I said that if players had to choose 1 game it would be the one they enjoyed the most, not the one that is the cheapest.

This is my point:

Bottom line is that unless the person has time to play both, they are going to play the game they enjoy the most. Period. It doesn't matter if it's free or not; I'm not going to spend my time playing a game I don't want to play.

Edited by DimeStax

If you only have a couple hours a week, then why are you paying for a monthly game anyway? Yes, you better play just the one game if that is the case, but it is a waste of money in the first place in my eyes. For those that play a couple hours a day, it's pretty easy to play multiple games and many people do so. You don't have to devote all your free time to do so either. I work. I play multiple games if I feel like it.

Ok this your own experience. Last time i checked simply because you do something does not mean every other person does the same.

Fact. Many people that dont have a lot of time to play games only play one regularly. Therefore they are not likely to play a second game for a small amount of time particularly when its attached to a monthly fee.

Why is there even a debate of what game is better or who should be playing what?

Some people prefer BF3 and some MW3.... who cares? Why is this a topic?

Play what you want to play.... no one cares which game you prefer more. Go play it and shut up.

I love Skyrim... and BF3... I don't post on other games sites hyping them up and telling everyone that these games are better than what they're playing.

Does anyone understand the concept of perspective?

It's like going to Taco Bell for lunch and stopping at McDonald's just to run inside and tell everyone that Big Mac's suck. :rolleyes:

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Ok this your own experience. Last time i checked simply because you do something does not mean every other person does the same.

Fact. Many people that dont have a lot of time to play games only play one regularly. Therefore they are not likely to play a second game for a small amount of time particularly when its attached to a monthly fee.

/facepalm you don't get it.

I have a job, a wife ( who is also a gamer ), kids, and we will be playing both SWTOR and GW2. We absolutely love SWTOR WarZones ( Huttball especially! ) AND GW2 WvWvW ( this past weekend beta was a huge success ). If either game can implement both to our satisfactions then THAT is the game we'll play exclusively.

I'm not going to list all the pro's and con's of each game. I will be simply voting with my wallet...

I asked the question, "Who says we only have to play one game?"

Yes you asked the question "Who says we only have to play one game?" a question that clearly suggests that people play more than one game.

because I certainly play more than one game sometimes.

This is your own individual experience. Some people may also play more than one game. But this does not mean that everyone does. Some people only play one game.

Who is more likely to play multiple games? People who a lot of free time, as stated in my original response. People without much free time are less likely to play multiple games.

Then you said that you were specifically talking about casual players who don't have time to play both games, so in response to that I said that if players had to choose 1 game it would be the one they enjoyed the most, not the one that is the cheapest.

This is my point:

Once again, you you asked the question "Who says we only have to play one game?" a question that clearly suggests that people play more than one game.

Now you are stating that some people are likely to play one game, the one they enjoy most.

So once again, what was the point of your question? You are suggesting that people play more than one game, and then admitting that some people will only play one game.

Edited by Gidoru

GW2 is hyped to high heavens and obviously it won't be able to deliver for some people. The higher ttk, the fact that gear doesn't give you a stat advantage, downed state and the amount of options that exists to make your pvp character won't be everybody's cup of tea. In the end the lesser Gods will try out the pvp in gw2 and come back to swtor, also the people mainly interested in pve will most likely return to swtor or maybe even go with mysts of pandaria.

No doubt it will have hardcore PvPers. But i highly doubt the game has sustainability in that regard. It currently lacks many of the systems hardcore PvPers want, ie arena, rating/ranking systems. Unless they add some of these things in soon after launch................................

This game still managed to attract hardcore pvp'ers, while they didnt even know that ranked wz's where comming. Ofcourse now with the rumour that xrealm rated wz's might not make it for season 1, where are those hardcore pvp'ers going?

You have a point that gw2 doesnt have a directly visible hook in the form of an ELO rating, however there's no doubt in my mind that they'll add it soon down the road. The arena net developers seem to care deeply about spvp so if they deem it neccesary, it'll get implemented. In the meantime the idea that you killed that guy not because you outgeared him, but you outskilled him will likely work like crack on hardcore pvp'ers. Lastly you rather diminish the importance of tournaments. The names of the winners of montly / yearly tournaments will be displayed on a big monument in the pvp area so everyone in Europe/America knows that you won. Rating might not be neccesary when everyone already knows that you're the best.

Anyway bioware doesnt really have to do anything, you wont go to gw2 for the pve and i doubt that the pvp in gw will attract all the pvp'ers that swtor currently has(eventhough gw2 pvp is better).

I never implied what I said to be a fact, and neither should you. It is not true for everyone. I find it quite cute that you told me that not everyone does the same thing as me (my point was that everyone is different); and then try to say it's a fact in your case.