Highly frustrated and disappointed

BigGuyEleven

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you could have tried Star'breeze, using an apostrophe can help, it's not perfect, but it's a work around. I only had to change one of my names, so I was fortunate.

Shame you can't use some real world names, though I did get killed by a Peter Griffin in PvP and saw Tony Stark, however, I wasn't allowed to start a Cyborg Trooper called 'Robocop' or even 'Robo'cop', I went for Robocod instead after the video game. Shame, Robocop might have been lots of fun. :)

Thanks mom... for the link of the rules. I'm so glad I have YOU to show me this...

After I named him during beta...

Then played for 5 months...

Then changed it...

then two months later...

THANK YOU SO F-ING MUCH!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its like getting a speeding ticket and getting to work and there's that one guy who always sounds like his nose is plugged "Well the sign did say 80km an hour"

I had an Infiltrator in DAoC named after an obscure 1980's martial arts movie actor. Had the name for THREE AND A HALF YEARS, and one day, I log in and his name is changed. After a few seconds of cursing, I contact a CSR and get it changed to something else. It's not that big of a deal.

Edited by HarleysRule

Starbreeze. Nothing amazing or anything, just the first surname I used and have used in every game I played since that I could. I'm attached to the name and not being able to use it feels wrong to me, I won't be as connected to my characters.

Have you tried:

Star'breeze

Starbre'eze

Starbree'ze

Or any other combination? The number of whining "I'm quitting" posts over losing names is really getting ridiculous. And, before you ask, yes, I did lose a couple names (including the name of my main) when I transferred.

You k now what pissed me off more then anything, is i had a bounty hunter, who when i created him would be this drunken down on his luck kind of character who slayed all the woman, did all the spice he could handle. I named him of course Charlie Sheen, kind of this greyish path character, after 5 months of play BW made me change his name, it would have been ok the first month but five months later... really... who was i hurting

I named renamed him Charlie Cheen, I regretted it soon after because it sounded too asian (not that there's anything wrong with that but that's not what i was going for)

In my old guild, we had a player named Arnold and he choose Schwarzenegger as his legacy name. He had it for maybe a month or two and then Bioware made him change it. The most ridiculous part was that they made him change BOTH his character name and his legacy name.

Thanks mom... for the link of the rules. I'm so glad I have YOU to show me this...

After I named him during beta...

Then played for 5 months...

Then changed it...

then two months later...

THANK YOU SO F-ING MUCH!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its like getting a speeding ticket and getting to work and there's that one guy who always sounds like his nose is plugged "Well the sign did say 80km an hour"

As opposed to the guy at work who gets pissed off over getting written up for cussing at a customer, even though he's "been cursing at customers for months and nothing happened before now".

Quit being a prissy little baby and stop crying over having the rules enforced.

Have you tried:

Star'breeze

Starbre'eze

Starbree'ze

Or any other combination? The number of whining "I'm quitting" posts over losing names is really getting ridiculous. And, before you ask, yes, I did lose a couple names (including the name of my main) when I transferred.

And the number of posters who donot care that much about thier char's names complaining about those who do is getting ridiculous.

And the number of posters who donot care that much about thier char's names complaining about those who do is getting ridiculous.

While true, what do you expect when there's already 16 other threads in the forum on the exact same topic? As long as someone argues their point, someone will offer a counterpoint. It's a neverending circle and both sides like to point out the whiners

There's an official, stickied thread to discuss this. Special snowflakes making their own threads to complain are just asking to be mocked.

I transferred eleven characters.

None of their names had apostrophes.

None of their names had stupid accents (which very few people actually use correctly).

None of their names were SillyPhraseNames.

I only had to change two of them.

Why? Because I actually chose unique names, and names that fit into Star Wars lore and style. The vast majority of people who are complaining about name collisions are using names that are --obviously-- not very unique.

While I understand that many people's attachment to character names is purely personal (or so they claim), but I find it hard to believe that the guy I saw with the legacy name of "Starkiller" was truly attached to that name and felt that it uniquely identified him/her. Especially after I saw the legacy names of "Starrkiller" and "Star'killer" and "Starkil'r". I bet that first guy thinks that everyone thinks his legacy name is cool, and the others are annoyed they couldn't get it. The truth is that they are all lame.

While true, what do you expect when there's already 16 other threads in the forum on the exact same topic? As long as someone argues their point, someone will offer a counterpoint. It's a neverending circle and both sides like to point out the whiners

What do I expect? A perspective from both sides. Which is why I added my 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

To the OPer.

I've been playing this since day 1. I have the same character name in every single MMO I've been involved with and have never come across another player who uses it. I lost that name during the transfer and was quite cross.

However, 1-2 months later I'm over it.

I understand that people have quite a personal attachment to their characters and names, but quite frankly BW was in a tough spot and I recommend you try to get over it.

I should point out that the nice people at BW customer service let me tweak my name once to a close enough approximation of the original after a week. That happened because I send them very non-whiny e-mails.

- Arcada

There is no escaping the fact that Bioware dropped the ball on this one. I made a bunch of threads asking for fair naming conventions for the merge, and others posted what other games have done under similar circumstances, to no avail.

I would appreciate someone from Bioware telling us what they plan to do to mend relations with the community in regards to this topic.

I seriously am pained by this. I used to have a nameplate on myself because I loved the names so much and was proud to have getting them. Now every time I see my name in chat I die a little.

Never before has something frustrated me so bad that I felt I needed to make a post about it but I have to vent. I've been here from the very beginning, never once stopped paying for my account, kept it going even after most of my friends left and I needed to take a break because it was boring not having friends to play with. I felt like playing so logged on to play and saw that my server was dead, was fine with transferring thinking it would make the game fun once again with a full server.

I get transferred and the two names I wanted to keep were taken so I had to change them, very frustrating but I can deal with it. But I also couldn't keep my legacy name, that is unacceptable. Losing two names I loved and my legacy name? I don't even want to play anymore now, for the first time I'm starting to think of canceling my account. The legacy name was just that, a legacy for me, it was the name I used since I first started playing MMOs back in EQ.

Seriously, for the love of god if your ego is so large that you can't surrender a name, then please do unsubscribe. I can sympathize with you, but in the end if you stuck with the game through it's faults since launch only to leave over a few names? That's pretty silly in my opinion.

I had an Infiltrator in DAoC named after an obscure 1980's martial arts movie actor. Had the name for THREE AND A HALF YEARS, and one day, I log in and his name is changed. After a few seconds of cursing, I contact a CSR and get it changed to something else. It's not that big of a deal.

Was it MIchael Dudikoff?

Edited by Holden_Dissent

There's an official, stickied thread to discuss this. Special snowflakes making their own threads to complain are just asking to be mocked.

Especially by the special snowflakes, who believe it is their DUTY to mock.

There have been a billion threads about losing names.

Here's my question, especially for those of you who lost all 8 names and a Legacy name to the transfers. When you guys first created your characters, did the game engine accept the first name you put in? If not, you decided to change it to something else. I have never read a thread here about someone who absolutely refused to play & unsubbed because they were refused a name at character creation. Why is this any different? Even if you didn't lose a name at character creation, would you have refused to play the game at all if your had-it-since-I-played-D&D-at-the-age-of-eight name had been taken?

Starbreeze. Nothing amazing or anything, just the first surname I used and have used in every game I played since that I could. I'm attached to the name and not being able to use it feels wrong to me, I won't be as connected to my characters.

Why didn't you just add a special character to it? It's just a legacy name, not like people would have a hard time sending you tells.