Still lacks *Arena*, ladders and tournaments.

TapSumBatt

This game still has a gaping hole where Arena should be IMO. RWZ doesn't compensate for this. In fact, RWZ is mostly used as an /LFG group to get ranked instead of regular comms.

This game would be great if they added:

* More situational tools to classes to give options to outsmart and outplay each other. (To make the next suggestion more intriguing for competative minds).

* Add Arena with weekly tournaments and a seasonal ladder system.

People who like to compete should have the option to do so with their friend(s). RWZ does not fill this function and the most fun one (Huttball) favours certain classes (leaps, pulls etc).

Arena, tournaments and seasonal ladders would be great for PvP longevity and would work as a great force to push balance in the right direction.

Edited by TapSumBatt

This game still has a gaping hole where Arena should be IMO. RWZ doesn't compensate for this. In fact, RWZ is mostly used as an /LFG group to get ranked instead of regular comms.

This game would be great if they added:

* More situational tools to classes to give options to outsmart and outplay each other. (To make the next suggestion more intriguing for competative minds).

* Add Arena with weekly tournaments and a seasonal ladder system.

People who like to compete should have the option to do so with their friend(s). RWZ does not fill this function and the most fun one (Huttball) favours certain classes (leaps, pulls etc).

Arena, tournaments and seasonal ladders would be great for PvP longevity and would work as a great force to push balance in the right direction.

I could not agree more with this.

all i can say is 8-28

Players can easily hop into an ongoing match and start playing right away without worrying about setting up teams beforehand. Competitive players looking for more organized play can try tournament mode, which pits teams of five players against each other in pick-up tournaments as well as monthly and player-run tournaments.

Im not a epeen stroker myself but having more options is nice

^^ If I wanted to play GW2 instead I wouldn't be here posting (some of you guys here on the forums should take note).

--

I am certain that this is something Swtor would benefit from - being able to compete with your closest friend(s) or with new like-minded strangers, plot team strategies and synergetic team compositions.

Situational CD's is something PvP will need either way to pan ways for the creative mind to find inovative ways to win without the sole need to race cool downs as fast as possible which kind of resembles the current situation.

What makes you think it wouldn't be the same for arena? I think it would favor some classes/specs and team comps just as much as Huttball can.

What makes you think it wouldn't be the same for arena? I think it would favor some classes/specs and team comps just as much as Huttball can.

Good question. The lack of objective besides killing the other team is the obvious reason. The terrain will be a point of interest for balance which makes it important to have good maps.

Spawning timing will also be a non-issue. One life, if you died your team has one less.

I don't see why all of this crap even matters in a game that ranking is dictated more by gear and class choice than any sort of skill. I'm sorry, but if you want ladders and tournaments, go play counterstrike or something. Edited by Kheg

Good question. The lack of objective besides killing the other team is the obvious reason. The terrain will be a point of interest for balance which makes it important to have good maps.

Spawning timing will also be a non-issue. One life, if you died your team has one less.

If the objective is killing the other guy, only PT's need apply then?

WoW ----->

Theres a lot of possibilities for arena that would still fight into Star Wars nicely.

For example in KOTOR 1 they had an arena on Taris. It was like an event for the town. You could have screens up around fleet broadcasting games. IDK.

arena and situational cooldowns is what pvp needs next.

I don't see why all of this crap even matters in a game that ranking is dictated more by gear and class choice than any sort of skill. I'm sorry, but if you want ladders and tournaments, go play counterstrike or something.

You must have missed the part where he mentioned adding more situation cooldowns so the game isnt just a zergfest.

The stun break cooldown is a good example of this. And you see so many people use it wrong which makes it obvious the skill ceiling that these types of cooldowns have.

If the objective is killing the other guy, only PT's need apply then?

Im sure the PT's would need healers and Im sure healers would like guard. I am also sure that BW will continue class balance wether or not we have this which leads me to believe other dps might be buffed ;-)

PvP lacks situational CD's in either case.

WoW ----->

Very constructive of you, I guess we all should go play WoW instead since there are so many similarities? :rolleyes:

Arguing that something similar exists in another game is a bad arguing point. I mean, why develope CoD, counter-strike already exists.

I am talking about a very popular nisch that isn't really explored in this game and I know for a fact it will have a great audience considering its track record. If you don't like it noone will hold a gun to your head and force you to play it. Alot of people will though.

Edited by TapSumBatt

Very constructive of you, I guess we all should go play WoW instead since there are so many similarities? :rolleyes:

Arguing that something similar exists in another game is a bad arguing point. I mean, way develope CoD, counter-strike already exists.

I am talking about a very popular nisch that isn't really explored in this game and I know for a fact it will have a great audience considering its track record. If you don't like it noone will hold a gun to your head and force you to play it. Alot of people will though.

Agreed, CoD shouldn't exist; Counter Strike is better.

You must have missed the part where he mentioned adding more situation cooldowns so the game isnt just a zergfest.

The stun break cooldown is a good example of this. And you see so many people use it wrong which makes it obvious the skill ceiling that these types of cooldowns have.

Just what we need - more people ************ about more overpowered mara/sent cooldowns that require no skill* (*laugh*) to play.

The last thing they need to do is add even more essentially one-time-use cooldowns to the game that serve no purpose other than to taunt people because they can't use them more than once every half dozen fights. My original comment still stands. You're either geared FOTM, or you're dead.

*Disclaimer: I played a sentinel to 50 and used 3 full hotbars worth of skills. But apparently I was doing it wrong.

^^

And if all had counter-cool downs to those that existed and burning them at the wrong times would punish you against better players - would that be a bad thing?

Then your gear would carry less value.

A playground to test these skills would be needed - hence the suggestion.

A deathmatch playground with a league ladder and tournaments would be a good thing. The magic number would probably be from 2v2 -> 4v4, more then that has proven difficult to manage and is also proven by RWZ as it is.

When the chips are down, league RWZ will most likely result in a handful established teams fighting for the first spot and the eager players left out will have a real hard time finding a good, consistent team.

2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 could produce a massive amounts of competition and a very easy way to try out new tactics, comps and playstyles even without X-realm PvP. It is also very beginner friendly.

-- The game dev's need time, but they need to keep subs while buying this time. I think Arena based PvP would be a very viable solution to this.

Edited by TapSumBatt

Playing whack-a-mole with your hotbar cooldowns != skill.

2v2, 4v4, whatever will NEVER be beginner friendly in this game - the devs have all but ensured that by making it a gear progression grind based on the expertise system without any sort of bracketing.

Regardless of what you put in at this point, be it arenas, ladders, tournaments, etc., it will always end up the same. The dude with the best gear on the FOTM class will win. Period.

There's no reason to put in more of the same when there's so much more work that needs to be done first. The biggest thing this particular subform seems to forget is that SWTOR is first and foremost a PvE game, and always will be. If you don't believe it, just look at the last two content updates. Tell me, was RWZ even close to being a PvP "content" update? Tell me, out of the known future updates, what out of those plans are going to be PvP "content" updates?

The way to keep SWTOR going has nothing to do with PvP at this point and the devs know it - and that's exactly why you're not going to get arenas or ladders. Get over it. If anything, the only thing you should be asking for at this point is real open world PvP and free-roaming ship-to-ship PvP because those two options actually fit in with PvE content updates.

Edited by Kheg

Honestly, depending on how you implement arena, it'll just allow for easier use of the OP classes. You know, like in WoW.

What I'd love to see is 4 man arenas(or something along those lines), something not quite as tough to throw together on the fly as 8.

You can do arenas anytime you want dude. Go to outlaw's den and set up some tourney there.

But really though, I only want arenas if they provide no benefits at all. No gear, no titles, no new speeder, etc. It would only be for fun (like dueling). Since the groups are small 2-4 per side, the class comp will make even more of a diff than they do in RWZ.