The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thermal Detonator

WaldoA

Ok, I'm currently only level 44 Powertech and I swtich trees alot, but I'm wondering if I should implement the Thermal Detonator skill into my build, I've tried using it and I like it for it's high damage and even higher damage paired with Firebug+ critical damage, but ever since i've started using it I seem to be overheating a heck of alot and find myself spamming rapid shots for a while.

Should I continue to use Thermal Detonator and either slow down on spamming skills or try to find a suitable rotation? Currently I don't exactly follow a rotation, here's what I like to think I do; (full/near full health targets)

Either Thermal Detonator or Incendiary Missile first followed by the other > Railshot > Flame Burst > Rocket Punch (or railshot whenever procced) then from there on I pretty much use rocket punch/flame burst/rapid shots to finish them off, and the occasional missile blast if they are further away.

Any thoughts?

TL: DR= Is Thermal Detonator viable in Pyro build? or does it build too much heat with a rotation?

EDIT: This is from a PvP perspective, as I don't really have to worry about a roation for PvE as of yet since I can melt most things well enough with flame burst and Explosive dart.

Edited by WaldoA

Ok, I'm currently only level 44 Powertech and I swtich trees alot, but I'm wondering if I should implement the Thermal Detonator skill into my build, I've tried using it and I like it for it's high damage and even higher damage paired with Firebug+ critical damage, but ever since i've started using it I seem to be overheating a heck of alot and find myself spamming rapid shots for a while.

Should I continue to use Thermal Detonator and either slow down on spamming skills or try to find a suitable rotation? Currently I don't exactly follow a rotation, here's what I like to think I do; (full/near full health targets)

Either Thermal Detonator or Incendiary Missile first followed by the other > Railshot > Flame Burst > Rocket Punch (or railshot whenever procced) then from there on I pretty much use rocket punch/flame burst/rapid shots to finish them off, and the occasional missile blast if they are further away.

Any thoughts?

TL: DR= Is Thermal Detonator viable in Pyro build? or does it build too much heat with a rotation?

EDIT: This is from a PvP perspective, as I don't really have to worry about a roation for PvE as of yet since I can melt most things well enough with flame burst and Explosive dart.

LOL. How do you mess up a 4 button skill rotation? Maybe BioWare shouldn't nerf this class, because there are still plenty of mentally handicapped people playing the class (as proven in this thread).

Edited by Mediia

LOL. How do you mess up a 4 button skill rotation? Maybe BioWare shouldn't nerf this class, because there are still plenty of mentally handicapped people playing the class (as proven in this thread).

Don't mind this kid, hes an angry fanboy of my stream who likes to sift through hours of my videos to find one mistake and show it to the world. Mad fanboy kid is mad.

TD is IMO a hallmark talent for PvP Pyro. The idea is that you put it on and then it explodes with a delay, timing this correctly can give pyros the insane burst damage they get. The other missile one is OK but for taking down a single target TD is the fastest way possible, especially healers, TD is the way to go IMO.

TD is IMO a hallmark talent for PvP Pyro. The idea is that you put it on and then it explodes with a delay, timing this correctly can give pyros the insane burst damage they get. The other missile one is OK but for taking down a single target TD is the fastest way possible, especially healers, TD is the way to go IMO.

I completely agree, with the rotation I use it explodes at the same time I railshot I believe its just that I find myself using it alot and eventually running around with low energy firing off rapid shots for a while.

You're the reason there are age ratings on games, clearly by your post your level of immaturity is nearly just as low as your IQ, I'm asking for help and you find the need to try and invoke people into an argument, if you've got no positive feedback or advice to give then don't bother trying to make yourself feel better by putting others down, or is that the kind of thing you do with low self esteem?

Edited by WaldoA

I completely agree, with the rotation I use it explodes at the same time I railshot I believe its just that I find myself using it alot and eventually running around with low energy firing off rapid shots for a while.

You're the reason there are age ratings on games, clearly by your post your level of immaturity is nearly just as low as your IQ, I'm asking for help and you find the need to try and invoke people into an argument, if you've got no positive feedback or advice to give then don't bother trying to make yourself feel better by putting others down, or is that the kind of thing you do with low self esteem?

First off, well said in regards to the immature player. Totally un-called for. Were they just trying to "act cool"? If so it made them look even more immature then they already were being.

As to your OP, yes... go Thermal Det. I just picked it up and I am loving it compared to the Electro Dart. Not only is it higher DPS, but it will add to your burst and overall damage score (if you PVP). Great investment and you don't really lose much by taking it over something else.

To the OP. From my understanding you are saying that you use both incindary missile and thermal detonator to open a fight? If so I would say that this may be the reason you are overheating. Both these abilities have a very high heat cost and as such I would recommend only using one or the other (id is best imo) rather than both, this meaning that your heat should dissipate passively fastet than if you continue using both. I typically only utilise IM in pve on longer fights: elites, champions and boss fights as you will ussually find that you kill the mob with the burst of TD and RS b4 the I'm has a chance to do its full damage over 18 seconds.

To the OP. From my understanding you are saying that you use both incindary missile and thermal detonator to open a fight? If so I would say that this may be the reason you are overheating. Both these abilities have a very high heat cost and as such I would recommend only using one or the other (id is best imo) rather than both, this meaning that your heat should dissipate passively fastet than if you continue using both. I typically only utilise IM in pve on longer fights: elites, champions and boss fights as you will ussually find that you kill the mob with the burst of TD and RS b4 the I'm has a chance to do its full damage over 18 seconds.

You are overheating because you aren't using thermal sensor override on your incendiary missiles. Powertechs are one of the easiest resource management and if you are overheating it is because you are spamming flame burst too much or using incendiary missile without TSO. The rule I use is to use rapid shots whenever your heat goes above 30. Edited by bbare

While what you say is true, the OP specifically asked about PVP, where you use Incendiary Missile a bit more often.

The trick with IM is as the poster above me already wrote, to use it after Thermal Sensor Override so it costs no heat.

When Thermal Sensor Override is on cooldown, you should only use IM as an opener when you have less than 20 heat OR if you have Vent Heat at the ready, and only when a target is near full health. Do not spam IM on every target you can see (unless its 5 guys vs you alone and you just want them all dotted up before you go down.) because that will get you overheated real fast.

So in short, IM is useful but situational. It is not very efficient damage/heat-wise and mostly effective as an opener so you can fire railshot outside of 10 meter.

TD on the other hand you basically use whenever it's off the cooldown. Fantastic ability.:)

Edited by LordExozone

I use TSO then Incendary missile, Rail Shot to open. Then Thermal Detonator, Flame burst (if PPA procs Rail Shot) Rocket Punch (Rail shot if it procs), then Rapid shots.

If the guy is almost dead, and 6 seconds remain on rail shot, flame burst to see if it procs again. My PT is 44 as well, and it tends to work out well for me.

Don't mind this kid, hes an angry fanboy of my stream who likes to sift through hours of my videos to find one mistake and show it to the world. Mad fanboy kid is mad.

To be fair, i watched your stream for like 5 minutes and I knew you were bad.

You are overheating because you aren't using thermal sensor override on your incendiary missiles. Powertechs are one of the easiest resource management and if you are overheating it is because you are spamming flame burst too much or using incendiary missile without TSO. The rule I use is to use rapid shots whenever your heat goes above 30.

This. Sort of...

The PT opening burst rotation is:

- Thermal Sensor Override (next ability=0 heat)

- Incendiary Round (25 heat)

- Thermal Detonator

- Rail Shot

All of that while closing in on a target. Then:

- Flame Burst

- Rocket Punch

- Rail Shot (one of the above should proc the freebie + vent heat)

The sweet spot for heat is actually 40%, not 30. You want to try to keep your heat 40% or below for maximum DPS/efficiency.

Yeah thanks for all the feedback, I've since stopped playing my PT and rolled Vanguard, currently lvl 31. I decided to ditch the last few points in Pyro and spec into AP for Retractable blade, gives me some more utility, another DoT and not too costly. Will hopefully be back up to using high tier again soon :)

Yeah thanks for all the feedback, I've since stopped playing my PT and rolled Vanguard, currently lvl 31. I decided to ditch the last few points in Pyro and spec into AP for Retractable blade, gives me some more utility, another DoT and not too costly. Will hopefully be back up to using high tier again soon :)

Soooo you gave up either Superheated Rail/Incendiary Missile and PPA for... Retractable Blade? At level 31 you could be getting Firebug or Rain of Fire in the Pyro tree. I used full AP for a long time, and even then Retractable was really just a filler.

Unless you are talking about at level 50. In which case, have you not read anything people have posted on these Powertech forums... ever?