Message to Peckenpaugh

fujeo-finel

Not quite. There's a looooooooot of correlation as causation in regards to assumptions about subscription numbers which is flat out wrong. But beyond that, Mr. Peckenpaugh's answer was not actually wrong. There are some DPS builds out there that people run under the assumption that they can be run like any other melee DPS class. Stealth classes are the main culprits here. The barrier to effectiveness is certainly higher but the sheer out fact of the matter is that an effective player can make these classes work exceptionally well.

Now, I use the word exceptionally because those cases are precisely that. An exception. And that's where the actual argument comes in: if you think this should be an exception or not. Bear in mind that we've seen things brought downwards based upon this design notion (and numerical considerations). Arsenal wasn't just nerfed because of numbers but because the relative barrier to being effective was immensely low.

Deception, Concealment, etc. are not easy ACs to get to optimal performance. Apparently, this is by design. Now, you can disagree with the design but what you can't disagree with is that optimal levels can be reached. Whether or not you feel that they have a level of parity with other ACs insofar as what the common perception is regarding their strengths and roles in competitive play is an entirely different discussion from the one Austin was having.

This dev team chose the easy route for "balance". ACs that allow healing had their dps nerfed. Exception for Sorc who have little survivability anyway. Tank ACs took a nerf. PT is the exception as they need FOtMs to encourage alts.

Isn't it much easier to balance PvP when you have fewer classes/hybrids played? Of course. Every decision from 1.2 has moved the player base into fewer viable PvP roles.

You are spot on in noting it's player choice to resub or not based on the product provided. I bet on far fewer sub next earnings call. I won't be able to gloat or eat crow though as my sub will end in August.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha!

I know most of this thread has been focused on Shadows, but what do you guys think of the Operative response? They can self-clense snares, giving them maybe 1.5 seconds before the PT snares them again :p

A shining example of amateurism. It basically states "we don't know what to do but we are considering looking into it."

Austin Peckenpaugh: I designed the class so that no one would want to play it. Why would you, when being a lone wolf is completely counter productive in any end game content in existence. Given that everything at end game requires team play, Infil/Decep Shadows/Assassins should all just reroll. I'm not going to fix it.

Well, at least he's honest.

Austin Peckenpaugh: I designed the class so that no one would want to play it. Why would you, when being a lone wolf is completely counter productive in any end game content in existence. Given that everything at end game requires team play, Infil/Decep Shadows/Assassins should all just reroll. I'm not going to fix it.

Well, at least he's honest.

I want and do play it ! ... well there goes your theory. (argument w/e)

Play what you like, don't chose something you don't like its designed role than complain about it.

This dev team chose the easy route for "balance". ACs that allow healing had their dps nerfed. .

That is called balance.

If for example, concealment operatives had the same burst and same dps as say sniper,mara w/e; a class designed solely for doing damage. It would make the operative overpowered.

" I have same damage (burst and dps) as you, but i can also go invisible, heal myself and other people and have better CC" HERP DERP. Is this what you would call balance? /lmao.

You can not balance just around burst /dps /hps.... there is also utility, cc, off-healing etc.etc.

/signed best concealment operative /sorc dps -> world.

p.s. i also have assassin, jugg and vanguard -> shelved because they are too boring and easy.;)

Edited by Dmasterr

p.s. i also have assassin, jugg and vanguard -> shelved because they are too boring and easy.;)

Your statements get better each day.

Yesterday you were the best conc ops in EU, today you are the best conc ops and dps sorc in the world.

I really hope you're trolling when you post such things.

Edited by iphobia

I want and do play it ! ... well there goes your theory. (argument w/e)

Play what you like, don't chose something you don't like its designed role than complain about it.

What was that thread I saw yesterday called, exception != rule? Yep, think that was it. I didn't say it was an absolute anyways, I said it was Austin's intention. Your reply is meaningless regardless.

That is called balance.

Which the devs are cluesless about.

Lol, trolling.

I really hope you're trolling when you post such things.

What can i say, pro players are pro regardless of what class they want to play.:cool:

But, go ahead and stay 1200 rating (w/e) and keep blaming the game for holding you down there... and keep getting facerolled in pvp, then come crying on the forum ETC ETC. .;)

What can i say, pro players are pro regardless of what class they want to play.:cool:

But, go ahead and stay 1200 rating (w/e) and keep blaming the game for holding you down there... and keep getting facerolled in pvp, then come crying on the forum ETC ETC. .;)

If you really were PRO you would recognize that RWZs ratings in this game ATM are messed up.

The guy who has higher rating on my server (Fatman) isnt the best PvPer and does not plays in the best team. Hes not bad but hes certainly not the best.

Ratings ATM are deffenetely biased by the amount of games you play and the amount of pug teams you faced as there seems to be no matchmaking, or at least bad matchmaking.

Lol, trolling.

He is dead serious...

And again, I have 0 rating and 0 ranked games played.

I have no intention to play some. In this game class > skill. It's dumbed down to a huge zergfest of high burst classes, there is no room for others.

Rating =/= skill and having a high rating on your specific server doesn't make you a good player and certainly not the best in the world.

But I guess you will keep on posting that anything is perfectly fine until you are the only player left to this game.

Edited by iphobia

If you really were PRO you would recognize that RWZs ratings in this game ATM are messed up.

Very true, especially when you have 2200+Rated teams going against 1400-1500 Rated teams on a consistent basis. I understand its preseason but without the sheer volume of teams with variable ratings, the matchmaking system will continue to pair up two teams with 600 pt rating differences next season.

Actually, in your case, troll players are trolls regardless of what forum they troll on. Rating is meaningless right now. There are far too few ranked teams even queuing on every server, and they all play vs. the exact same opposing teams every match. Beating the same team over and over doesn't make you pro. It doesn't even make you good. You've only further demonstrated your ignorance.

And what classes do you play? Personally I play four, two of which most consider to be OP and I agree they are OP.

Maybe I'm just bad during the times when I log on to two characters? Or you think I'm not intelligent enough to work out the mechanics, play style, best rotations/strategy with different classes is that it?

Game isn't new anymore. Most of us have rolled other chars because there was nothing else to do when the servers were dead outside of peak time. A ton of people have rolled the classes that were FoTM after 1.2. With mains that are already geared it is perfectly possible without giving up your day job to be augmented BM geared in under 3 weeks.

Not all of us are in a vacuum thinking the grass is greener, we have been both sides of the fence.

Why are you responding to me when I wasn't talking to you?

I play every AC, and to 50. Sooooo......

OK I've heard enough of this from you, I noticed you were registered on a SWTOR cheat forums some time ago but I didn't bother to mention it, but now I'm mentioning it, Dmaster has an account on a cheat site.

Oh let me guess, it isn't you.

The current dev team has to many people that are set on their way being right. People are wearing dps gear with the tank spec and ignoring the dps spec, and this dev thinks everything is A okay. really? If that is A okay design then new devs are needed. Edited by timidobserver

No, no, NO. Skill has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH MATHEMATICAL BALANCE.

Decide what you want the class to do, and then design the class around that philosophy in a way that keeps the balance of it's weaknesses and strengths at zero sum. It's really that simple.

Exactly this. You could be a god reincarnated just to play video games but if your class is gimp you're not going to be a real competitor to those who aren't gimped.

Too bad rank means absolutely nothing right now. Its easy as hell to hit 2400 when all you do is play the same teams over and over. There isn't a large enough pool of teams for it to mean much currently.

OK I've heard enough of this from you, I noticed you were registered on a SWTOR cheat forums some time ago but I didn't bother to mention it, but now I'm mentioning it, Dmaster has an account on a cheat site.

"Internet identity" fraud is so easy. Look for desired name on game forum, go and create account with same name on a ill reputed site in an attempt to defame said player. Not to mention name one 1 forum (w/e) is not unique across the whole internet data base. /srsly

Too bad rank means absolutely nothing right now. Its easy as hell to hit 2400 when all you do is play the same teams over and over. There isn't a large enough pool of teams for it to mean much currently.

Very true, especially when you have 2200+Rated teams going against 1400-1500 Rated teams on a consistent basis. I understand its preseason but without the sheer volume of teams with variable ratings, the matchmaking system will continue to pair up two teams with 600 pt rating differences next season.

Rating =/= skill and having a high rating on your specific server doesn't make you a good player and certainly not the best in the world.

While rating is not "be all and end all" it still means something.

And there are about 20 actual teams (more if you count fleet made) and there are about 6 really good teams. So we don't fight the same teams over and over, we do have good competition on the server, we beat those good teams as well.

I understand that there are some "dead" servers in terms of RWZ, however mine, TOFN is the most populated and was transfer destination of all EU pvp servers.

But it is true that your rank and rating also require time. Which is to be understood... you need time to play the required games so you get your rank. And while i and others don't have that amount of time available because of summer and etc... i make due with what i can. However that is if you want stellar rating and rank, you don't need a long time to get 2000 rating for example, you can do that in 2 days. You not having it is fail on your skill, not lack of time.

I can not wait for x-servers.

I have no intention to play some. In this game class > skill. It's dumbed down to a huge zergfest of high burst classes, there is no room for others.

That is simply a false statement, i personally know about 4 dps sorcs who are 2400~ rating and the best sorc full healer on the server who is ~ 2600. And know what? they are not even pro level players... yet.

And again, I have 0 rating and 0 ranked games played.

Well than you can stop talking about pvp, because however you perceive the game, i assure you ... the game is not what is holding you with no rating, or making teams not want you. Its not the class, its not the game... its YOU, and your poor pvp ability.

/signed best concealment operative /sorc dps -> world.-Dmasterr

My assessment is not based solely on ratings. It is also based on seeing streams, videos, fighting with and against the best operatives /sorcs out there and how we perform vs other classes and multiple opponents... and recognizing that i am better.

And while saying i am best world on those classes/spec is not 100% accurate, because there might be some obscure player playing somewhere that "might" be better.

The statement that i am best world, is most likely true... and a statement not only based on a couple of months of swtor, but is an estimation also based on many years of accomplishments of top rank on multiple games that gives me the ability to estimate my and other players skill more accurately.

Their guild got caught bug abusing all the way to 2400

Their guild got caught bug abusing all the way to 2400

That is simply a false statement made by a sore loser. He would have had the support of many players and guilds on the server, including other top guilds(with such high competition for rank 1, don't you think other top teams would jump at the opportunity to eliminate the best team on server? /lol).... not to mention we would have been banned a long time ago if he had a case.

I imagine him and other bad players spamming Swtor-support with ban requests every time they lose, so its not like they would not have sufficient complaints, but they are all fail complaints.

Edited by Dmasterr

The real questions is what were you doing on said forum.

There are a lot of cheating/hacking guilds out there. Definitely among some of the so-called "top rating guilds".

"W guild" is just one of the few that actually got caught on video.

The said video is however quickly removed and their forum is quickly made private after the "accident".

At least its only pre-season. If pre-season is enough to make all these low life guild having to resolve to hacks to win I can only imaging when real season comes around.

Hacking or not bioware needs to do something about the hacks, they are real, and there are plenty of videos on Youtube showing them.

Edited by warultima

Lets take this to the ridiculous level and be realistic. Peckenpaugh doesn't understand balance. We should call for him to be "let go" or to "resign" like most of the other failed devs of this game.

Lets take this to the ridiculous level and be realistic. Peckenpaugh doesn't understand balance. We should call for him to be "let go" or to "resign" like most of the other failed devs of this game.

It is sad, because that quote from him, is exactly what balance is.

IF all classes had same burst and dps, then classes who could off-heal .. go invisible, have a lot of cc and utility, would be incredibly overpowered vs classes that can only do damage.

It is sad, because that quote from him, is exactly what balance is.

IF all classes had same burst and dps, then classes who could off-heal .. go invisible, have a lot of cc and utility, would be incredibly overpowered vs classes that can only do damage.

Unbalanced DPS does not make for a good PvE game. All DPS should be the same, and PvP balance should be achieved through other means.