Character Transfer, Server Populations, and You (Part II)

CourtneyWoods

If BW had said UP FRONT that eventually all our toons would move anyway, I wouldn't have spent the last TWO MONTHS on a new server to make a new Legacy. Because I already have a lvl 50 toon moved onto a destination server from a different origin server, and the destination server is the same for the server I am playing on now, I WOULD LOSE THE LEGACY I HAVE SPENT THE LAST TWO MONTHS BUILDING.

They should have said it but it was glaringly obvious it was going to happen in some form anyway.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got my own issue I'm not sure has been addressed. (I haven't the time to mill through 13 pages looking for someone to address my issue) So, here it is:

I came from Adjunta Pall (RP-PvP) West coast, and was given only the choice of Jung Ma (RP-PvP) East coast to transfer to. As a result my lag doubled because, hello, I live on the west coast. Well 2-3 weeks later I hear they opened up a West coast PVP destination for Adjunta Pall, but I've already been duped into moving to Jung Ma. Can I get my toons moved there, because I'd MUCH rather be on my coast and pvp then to rp which I don't really do anyway. I feel I should have been given an west coast choice going out the gate and now in pvp instead of knocking ball carriers into the fire I knock them toward the goal because I have twice the lag now.

Paid transfers to any server and pay to increase above 8 character slots per server.

I also agree with one of the posts above: only those with active game times should have priority to keep their name/legacy name.

If someone transfers onto your server but an inactive (no game time) player has the same name, the active transfer player should get priority.

What happens if your destination server is already full of 8 toons?

Excellent question.

Also, if we wait and are forcibly relocated - you know, like internment camp victims - then our Guild names, Legacy status, Guild Bank items, all will of these just be trashed? We won't even receive in-game money for the value of the deleted items?

Is it just me, or does this all seem very poorly conceived, even terribly half-assed?

What really bugs me is that people don't read updates on the website. They've said in twitter updates, forums posts etc. that paid character transfers and increasing the character slots for every server are in the works. Patience is a virtue. BW is trying to settle down on getting everyone to there destination servers first before they can start allowing anyone to transfer toons from any server they want.

No offense, but I am not going to waste my time running around checking Twitter (which I don't use), forum posts which I don't have time to wade through, websites I'm not interesetd in or even smoke signals just so I can keep up with how my money is being spent.

BioWare has our e-mail addresses, they should keep us informed.

We are the profit; they are the overhead. I'm appalled at how few gamers have the stones to stand up for their rights as consumers.

Can you rephrase that into better English ,you are so caught up in being a good fan and demonstrating it that I do not think I am understanding what you are trying to say.

Are you really trying to say that ultimately I am accountable for Bio’s inability’s and lack of foresight in all of this because things change??

I am sorry you feel it is your responsibility to come here and try to police all this. As someone who has been playing online games for almost 20 years and having worked for one I will let you in on a little hint. No one is going to give you a prize or even an ata-boy for taking up the companies cause.

I know you will not be able to resist reply and that will be what the 9th or 10th post you have made on this thread already.. ohh hold on there not post you only quote other people and talk about how what they said is wrong in the way you see the world.

You understand clearly what I said and what I am talking about.

I am not trying to police anything but if you were a smart rational person you'd know that the stuff I listed was a possibility when purchasing the game. You were basically purchasing at your own risk that there will be downtime's. issues, possible server merges and character name lost, names of which btw you don't even own.

Call me a fanboi all you want truth is I am not I am just being rational. But hey don't blame me blame yourself and you're entitlement attitude.

Edited by Aricus

Obviously what is in the hearts and minds of gamers is a total mystery that confounds even the most brilliant philosophers, market analysts, and other thinkers, but if I had to go out on a limb and take a crazy guess, I'd say he was expecting that this MMO would provide a setting in which he could play an RPG-style game -- complete with other players -- without having to start over from scratch at Level Zero with zero credits because of huge mistakes and miscalculations by the publisher or game dev.

Except that those mistakes you and he mentioned occurred in just about every other MMO launched post WoW. A market analysis would see this as a trend and be weary of this possible issue in their next possible purchase (or analysis). Wouldn't you?

If no, then that just means you like the person you were referring to refuse to accept the accountability of their purchase. What's even more surprising is he (and possibly you) are still paying?

Edited by Aricus

Paid transfers to any server and pay to increase above 8 character slots per server.

I also agree with one of the posts above: only those with active game times should have priority to keep their name/legacy name.

If someone transfers onto your server but an inactive (no game time) player has the same name, the active transfer player should get priority.

Well, the active player should be transferring now. The inactive will be moved later. So you get your priority.

are you serious your big plan for the people who have there charecters remaining for there personal purposes is to force move them to the servers that are all ready full to capacity?

They are not full to capacity.

This incoming wave of mandatory transfers will be barely noticeable as most have transferred already.

I've got my own issue I'm not sure has been addressed. (I haven't the time to mill through 13 pages looking for someone to address my issue) So, here it is:

I came from Adjunta Pall (RP-PvP) West coast, and was given only the choice of Jung Ma (RP-PvP) East coast to transfer to. As a result my lag doubled because, hello, I live on the west coast. Well 2-3 weeks later I hear they opened up a West coast PVP destination for Adjunta Pall, but I've already been duped into moving to Jung Ma. Can I get my toons moved there, because I'd MUCH rather be on my coast and pvp then to rp which I don't really do anyway. I feel I should have been given an west coast choice going out the gate and now in pvp instead of knocking ball carriers into the fire I knock them toward the goal because I have twice the lag now.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere you could contact CS to get this transfer done manually.

How about some rewards for staying with your "home" server? Not everyone "abandoned ship". Also those who stayed in order not to lose our names, or put up with wait times would also like the same rewards for those who moved, if possible:jawa_smile: That little pet sure is cute.

So all the people who stayed behind to preserve their names are getting hosed anyway.

Why didn't you guys just treat this as a merger from the beginning? Was it semantics? Were you afraid of calling them 'mergers'?

Why do you do everything half assed?

So the both of you stayed on dead servers in the hopes that Bioware would have felt sorry for you, and kept your server alive while almost no one played on them? SERIOUSLY? Did you even make a low level character on your destination server to check and see if your names where taken? Did you think waiting longer that maybe the name would open up for you?

I have transferred all of my Anchorhead characters to Prophecy of the Five, and the only name that I am not going to get to keep really isn't surprising to me. There is already a level 50 named Mutilate there, and when I can finally transfer my character off The Harbinger to consolidate my characters onto one server, I will have to change the name of my Assassin from Mutilate to something else that I have already secured.

People that are so worked up about losing a name, should either come up with more original names, or learn to deal with it. It's not a big deal to move to a new server and have to change your name. I have done it before in other MMO's and when I start doing end game content, guess what, my friends still know who I am, and I still impress people with how well I can heal people, normally making new friends along the way.If you feel that a name defines you then I feel sorry for you, because as far as I am concerned I define my character's name by my actions.

BRILLIANT, JUST BRILLIANT :mad:

Forcing us off a server where there is NO waiting to get dailies done, no stealing of the item you are after while fighting the guards, no queues, no dumb groups/ players barging in and agroing everything you just stunned, darted or lifted & NO LAG

Onto any of your remaining overpacked laggy servers with large queues at the times we can play!

We just lined up 3 friends who never played MMOs before and didn't want to pay if it turned out if they didn't like it.

Now they cannot join us as you Locked the Server, so we are going to now put them off :mad:

As it stands the rest our guild will most likely not be re-subscribing either!

In all honesty, they haven't stated that ppl will be forced to the destination server. They spoke of server merges. If it's done correctly it shouldn't really be a problem. I play on the remaining 5 east coast RP servers and the most I've seen online during peak is 27. I imagine that all 111 (yes, I counted) remaining NA servers are roughly the same. Merging about 4 or 5 servers together would only be a bit over 100 at peak. I don't know what the server cap is, but 100 at peak seems manageable.

I wonder if they are going to adding more character slots before they force people to move. There are 6 Crafting Crew Skills, and I am sure that there are at least a few people who have 6 characters on more then one origin server going to one destination server.

As they shut the other thread down.

: Originally Posted by Baldak

Is it possible to stop reminding those of us that have chosen to remain on the light populations servers that we are eligible to transfer to the now heavy population server you chose for us for free. Even with the bonus pet and black hole commendations, I don't want to play on a heavy population server and prefer to remain where I am. Receiving an admin message in the chat window every 10 minutes or so gets annoying.

Which brings me to my second request. Please let us know what your plans are for the remaining servers. [/Quote]

+1 to your post Baldak

Our guild doesn't want to have to queue to do dailies, have other players steal items while we are fighting the guards, LAG, other players / groups barging and upset all your stunned, lifted and darted Mobs and finally Queue to login!! :(

That is why we stayed on the server we are on! :)

So stop with the irritating messages and now a blasted in game mail with 1 credit tokens in them! :mad:

Edited by Denzyl

A lie of omission is a lie. You made it seem like server transfers were just that "Transfers". Instead they were forced server merges. The fact is the game needed it, but why do it in such a backhanded way? Why ask people to move, then later force them? Why not just be honest and say you are merging servers? The way you did this was extremely shady.

Again the mergers were needed but just be honest about it.

Shame on you Bioware.

Link to their plans: http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...nd-you-part-ii

In all honesty, they haven't stated that ppl will be forced to the destination server. They spoke of server merges. If it's done correctly it shouldn't really be a problem. I play on the remaining 5 east coast RP servers and the most I've seen online during peak is 27. I imagine that all 111 (yes, I counted) remaining NA servers are roughly the same. Merging about 4 or 5 servers together would only be a bit over 100 at peak. I don't know what the server cap is, but 100 at peak seems manageable.

'Later this summer, any remaining characters on selected origin servers will be automatically moved to designated destination servers. We will provide additional details regarding the automatic character transfer process at that time. '

People who have names on an inactive account shouldn't be able to keep the names, after a while anyways. If the player does not resub after a certain time frame (like how blizzard does it) the name should be able to become available to another player, they can then buy a name change.

Hindsight being 20/20, Bioware should have had the names on all inactive accounts flagged for change. That way fewer people coming from the origin servers would have had to change their names.

I'd suggest that you transfer and wait until paid name change becomes available, then request the name. If it's locked by someone who quit the game, BioWare may free it up. Who knows? In the meantime, come up with a suitable alternative.

BRILLIANT, JUST BRILLIANT :mad:

Forcing us off a server where there is NO waiting to get dailies done, no stealing of the item you are after while fighting the guards, no queues, no dumb groups/ players barging in and agroing everything you just stunned, darted or lifted & NO LAG

Onto any of your remaining overpacked laggy servers with large queues at the times we can play!

We just lined up 3 friends who never played MMOs before and didn't want to pay if it turned out if they didn't like it.

Now they cannot join us as you Locked the Server, so we are going to now put them off :mad:

As it stands the rest our guild will most likely not be re-subscribing either!

You are imagining life on the destination servers much, much worse than it actually is. Either about node stealing, queues and lag, none of this is true.

From my list of server options, I'm seeing the option of 6 heavily populated servers and 6 very heavily populated servers at 8:30 tuesday night... they must not be expecting to keep many subscribers after all this.

# of people on those server is way, way higher than what a "heavy or very heavy" server was a launch.

No, there are no more 2 million people playing, everyone knows that. But the # of active servers is not an accurate evaluation of the # of subscribers.