PotF server chat action required.

Shaide

Can something please be done about Prophecy of the Five's server general chat. This is the second day that people have been spamming <movie titles> Jawa. It has almost been 24hours since they started, my ignore list is full on all my toons, and they clog up the chat making it impossible to find groups or sell items.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can something please be done about Prophecy of the Five's server general chat. This is the second day that people have been spamming <movie titles> Jawa. It has almost been 24hours since they started, my ignore list is full on all my toons, and they clog up the chat making it impossible to find groups or sell items.

group finder and GTN.

Sign out of General chat. Preferences - Chat

Bang, silence.

Sure soon as they do something about the partisan political crap, or sexual related garbage we have to endure EVERY DAY.

No?

Then all is fine, the Jawa stuff is harmless at least. either take a chill pill or leave gen chat.

The funny thing is, before there were server transfers, people were complaining about the lack of life in the general chat (even in the Fleets).

But what has happened is that every planet below Taris/Balmorra (in the 33++ level range instance) has become like "Barren's Chat" or "Elwyn Forrest Chat" or "Trade Chat" now. :rolleyes:

It's best to just turn it off.

I would like to see "GMs" (IF there are any) "silence" these people for a 24hr period each infraction that also silences them on the forums so they can't come here to complain about being "silenced" in the game. And if they complain about being silenced in or out of game once their silence is lifted the incur a "Weeks" worth of silence and forums black out. And after that time if they complain its up to a month and the next a year and the next 10 years.

Yeah ridiculously strict but, that is the only thing that will get the attention of people that are performing this behavior.

I'm too busy doing other things to notice what is going on PotF General Chat ... like PLAYING THE GAME!

Seriously, if it bothers you that much, just disable General chat or do something else.

It just shows how many children are playing this game. After 5 minutes id think an adult would have enough but it just shows the maturity on the server. just make a new chat tab, i have a guild chat tab and just turn it on that and i dont have to see the kids on general chat.

I agree - the new server we transferred to has really annoying/ inane/ obscene general chat. When I commented on it someone PMd me to say it wasn't like this before transfers. I'm guessing that with transfers and a larger pool of people; increased audience size has energized the trolls who transferred in and increased anonymity allows people to descend into uttering garbage.

I have personally reported an offensive player who is still around boasting that if only he could get more reports then maybe perhaps maybe SWTOR will give him a permanent ban. I guess it's a joke to him and if they took any action against him it was not noticeable.

I keep general chat closed most of the time now - would really like to have it for general chat again as opposed to whatever word titillates a twelve year old mind now.

• Dev Post
Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience with General Chat. It seems you're already familiar with the ignore list, which is good, but (as others have mentioned) you can also leave General Chat altogether if the messages are too frequent and are disrupting your play. If you aren't in a guild, I'd strongly recommend checking a few out to find a good fit - you may find that a good guild chat with others who share similar tastes would suit you best! Remember that you can change your chat settings at any time, so if it's ever too overwhelming, you might want to leave and come back later. Also - remember that you can report players who are being abusive, offensive, or who are harassing others in chat. Now that the Group Finder is available, General Chat shouldn't be necessary to form a group (though it can still be helpful). Edited by AllisonBerryman

Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience with General Chat. It seems you're already familiar with the ignore list, which is good, but (as others have mentioned) you can also leave General Chat altogether if the messages are too frequent and are disrupting your play. If you aren't in a guild, I'd strongly recommend checking a few out to find a good fit - you may find that a good guild chat with others who share similar tastes would suit you best! Remember that you can change your chat settings at any time, so if it's ever too overwhelming, you might want to leave and come back later. Also - remember that you can report players who are being abusive, offensive, or who are harassing others in chat. Now that the Group Finder is available, General Chat shouldn't be necessary to form a group (though it can still be helpful).

So you are admitting that either in game GMs won't police the abuse of general chat or are not allowed to police and that we have to either opt out of general chat or put up with all the goings on. Why have general chat then?

Edited by Urael

Recommendations:

Turn Channel 1 General Chat off while on Fleet.

Find groups via the group finder.

Sell items in Channel 2 Trade chat and/or on the GTN.

if all else fails... see if you can come up with better or unique Jawa titles instead of the same repetitive titles everyone else is using over and over.

All and all... it's still better than Barrens chat in WoW. lol

Edited by Dahon

So you are admitting that either in game GMs won't police the abuse of general chat or are not allowed to police and that we have to either opt out of general chat or put up with all the goings on. Why have general chat then?

No, they're saying that as long as general chat is not being OFFENSIVE OR ABUSIVE it's not violating the terms of service and therefore fitting in with the general theme of, you know... GENERAL chat.

Yeh had issues with this to especially for same reason i hate getting sucked into forums here very long. to much negativity. plus just plain hard to see anything else need to see in general chat when your getting spammed. I actually may sound ironic I moved 'general' chat to another tab called 'gen' and I hardly ever look at it unless need to ask soemthign in it which I rarely do in a public chat because of jerks... Unfortuantly does mean I miss out on people looking for someone to group with and given I'm not comfortable just jumping in middle random people for some fp or whatever means I don;t use groupfinder much.... end up solo most time...

But still it;s an option as well to move general to another tab to. what you do otherwise for grouping or not I guess up to you.

Least that way it;s still there and and a tab away but not spamming you lol

Be nice if we had a 'Looking for group' channel.

Edited by OdanBaruq

or... why have trade chat, the GTN, or group finder?

seriously though... what is there to "police"? A ban on the word Jawa? If it was to be policed as you suggest, then there should be no trading, nor group finding allowed in general chat either.

Over on Nightmare Lands we have goats.

I kid you not, endless film titles with goat in them, the Imperial fleet got bored of it within 4/5 hours but as far as I'm aware it's still going strong on the Republic side...

Frankly, I'm happy for a little bit of stupidity in general chat, everyone has to be a reasonable human being irl so as long as they're not impacting anyone's enjoyment by ninja looting or whatever I think it's something you need to suck up and not take too seriously.

or... why have trade chat, the GTN, or group finder?

seriously though... what is there to "police"? A ban on the word Jawa? If it was to be policed as you suggest, then there should be no trading, nor group finding allowed in general chat either.

There is another "word" that refers to a certain body part that people link abilites to and it is used in this game as it was in trade chat of that other game.

Edited by Urael

• Dev Post
If you believe that someone is violating the Terms of Service, you are definitely encouraged to report that player by submitting a ticket in-game. Customer Service will take any necessary actions based on your report. I would never discourage anyone from doing this, but also wanted to offer some other solutions that may mitigate it immediately if it is having a negative effect on anyone's experience. Edited by AllisonBerryman

No, they're saying that as long as general chat is not being OFFENSIVE OR ABUSIVE it's not violating the terms of service and therefore fitting in with the general theme of, you know... GENERAL chat.

^ This :D

There is another "word" that refers to a certain body part that people link abilites to and it is used in this game as it was in trade chat of that other game.

I remember that. Those were good times :) When EC first came out, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw Double Destruction :D

Edited by psi_overtake

Chatting is not abuse of general chat. It is for general use. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience with General Chat. It seems you're already familiar with the ignore list, which is good, but (as others have mentioned) you can also leave General Chat altogether if the messages are too frequent and are disrupting your play. If you aren't in a guild, I'd strongly recommend checking a few out to find a good fit - you may find that a good guild chat with others who share similar tastes would suit you best! Remember that you can change your chat settings at any time, so if it's ever too overwhelming, you might want to leave and come back later. Also - remember that you can report players who are being abusive, offensive, or who are harassing others in chat. Now that the Group Finder is available, General Chat shouldn't be necessary to form a group (though it can still be helpful).

How about just having a Bioware employee monitor chat on occasion?! Random check in's would do wonders.

Why is it that cross faction chat was scrapped because of fears that it would ruin players experiences, while spam in general on the fleet is dismissed so quickly? Cross faction tells are easy to report and ignore, massive spam in general (a chat channel that has a very useful purpose) is difficult or impossible to ignore and does cause difficulties for players. I don't understand.