I don't want to be a hunter!

DarthTidez

I dare you to complete herioc quest higher than 20 with just your companion, you need to group with other players to do those, so your whole arguement is moot. plus if you dont want your companion out send it on missions whole point of the companion system.

This. Even the Heroic 2s are going to be very difficult with just you and a companion. Easier if you're a healer with a tank companion, but still. The Heroic 4s? Forget about it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly speaking, I don't play with a companion either. I usually have them vegitate in the ship. I don't even waste the money to have them go out and do things (I already have 50k credits at level 20). Although, 2V-R8 is a mildly acceptable healing droid for Sith Warriors, so on occasion I'll take him out to help me and another player when doing heroic quests.

However... I am disappointed to think that the game was built around companions as a -necessity- basically. If you don't have your companion out, obviously things get harder. What makes it even worse is that the quests sometimes split your gear with a companion. So when you really should be getting gear to better yourself, you've just got an item to hand to a companion.

I specifically remember being level 19 with level 11-13 items. My damage was failing me and things were getting harder and harder to solo without a companion... Ontop of it, I wonder how many people have accidentally vendored items for their companion without even knowing.

As far as I am concerned, it's been implemented wrong. A player should always be receiving gear first to better themselves because players go into Warzones and Instances. Companions just tag along with the player. There should be more gear for players and all quests should give you companion gear -ONTOP- of what you're already getting.

Furthermore, I don't expect most low-level players to even know where to visit the Market Kiosk initially. So things aren't looking too good for players that want to be personally capable and play by themselves. I am one of them, but I deal with it.

I actually joined a PvE server when I really wanted to be on a PvP server. I wanted to fight players. Just players alone, not their crony pet. So I'm level 20 now (late EGA) and I'm better off because by the time anything is done, I may even be level 50.

(Shrug) Is what it is. Things will probably change. The timeframe it happens in will most likely be too late.

Edited by Kerduk

Honestly speaking, I don't play with a companion either. I usually have them vegitate in the ship. I don't even waste the money to have them go out and do things (I already have 50k credits at level 20). Although, 2V-R8 is a mildly acceptable healing droid for Sith Warriors, so on occasion I'll take him out to help me and another player when doing heroic quests.

However... I am disappointed to think that the game was built around companions as a -necessity- basically. If you don't have your companion out, obviously things get harder. What makes it even worse is that the quests sometimes split your gear with a companion. So when you really should be getting gear to better yourself, you've just got an item to hand to a companion.

I specifically remember being level 19 with level 11-13 items. My damage was failing me and things were getting harder and harder to solo without a companion... Ontop of it, I wonder how many people have accidentally vendored items for their companion without even knowing.

As far as I am concerned, it's been implemented wrong. A player should always be receiving gear first to better themselves because players go into Warzones and Instances. Companions just tag along with the player. There should be more gear for players and all quests should give you companion gear -ONTOP- of what you're already getting.

Furthermore, I don't expect most low-level players to even know where to visit the Market Kiosk initially. So things aren't looking too good for players that want to be personally capable and play by themselves. I am one of them, but I deal with it.

I actually joined a PvE server when I really wanted to be on a PvP server. I wanted to fight players. Just players alone, not their crony pet. So I'm level 20 now (late EGA) and I'm better off because by the time anything is done, I may even be level 50.

(Shrug) Is what it is. Things will probably change. The timeframe it happens in will most likely be too late.

Not sure what you're on about, if you've been ailing for gear then you've been doing it wrong...if you complete all the quests and are sensible about what you put on, you won't have any problems with gear...but yeah, if you're trying to play without a companion things are going to be hard, the developers of the game assume that you have a certain baseline of power and that includes your companion, so if you are below that baseline, things will be hard or even impossible...

You know maybe it isn't. But beware what you say. Starwars just launched it's doing good but still on shaky legs. It's not a very wise decision to start telling players to quit the game at this point.

Listen, if you think that companions are a problem, dissmiss them, it's one click.

If you cannot stand the idea at all about there is companions in this game, then maybe you should choose another game, though I think it would be foolish to quit over a issue that's so easily fixed.

This is my biggest problem with the game, and probably my only problem.

I do NOT want to play a pet class, yet I'm forced to.

WPvP -- if I'm caught without my companion, I'm at a disadvantage and will lose against an equally leveled, geared and skilled opponent.

PvE -- others will end up doing more damage with their companions than I do if I don't bring mine.

Don't know how organized PvP works, but if companions are allowed in there too...

I am loving this game, but I do NOT want to have a bloody pet. It's annoying as hell, and that's why I made a Sith Warrior: a standalone warrior class. I did not expect to be forced into using companions.

And make no mistake: you are forced to use them because you are at a disadvantage without them.

That isn't fair. That isn't fun. That wasn't a smart design decision.

By having a companion constantly with you it eliminates the need to group with other real players for heroic quests. It hurts the social aspect of an mmo, and being social is arguably the biggest core asset of any mmo.

This is were biowares single players experience shows and lack of multiplayer experience shows.

This is the biggest line ion BS I have ever read.

If you only group with other players when you "NEED" to then you are totally missing the purpose of the social mechanic in any MMO...:confused::eek::confused:

This. Even the Heroic 2s are going to be very difficult with just you and a companion. Easier if you're a healer with a tank companion, but still. The Heroic 4s? Forget about it.

I did heroic 4's in beta as a BH healer using a tank companion. Was it easy, not really, but definately doable if I was careful. I stopped looking for groups to do heroics when I realized the solo potential of a healer.

I kinda like my companion considering how the entire game is built with the assumption of having one, but I'd prefer if the game was built differently and I could choose to have a companion or not.

True. That would be best. But the way it works now is just... no.

Oh, and to all those arguing that you can "just dismiss the companion," your argument is totally flawed and spoken from inexperience.

Any MMORPG with a class system provides a variety of classes, two major subclasses of which are "pet class" and "solo class."

Forcing pet classes on EVERYONE is a bad design decision. It eliminates a very important and core choice that players make regarding what type of character they want to play.

And anyone who argues that you aren't at a disadvantage without your pet is delusional.

Edited by ShadowMasterRP

It's not as simple as dismissing or sending your companion away. I simply do not want one at all. Swtor is a awesome game but forcing everybody be hunters was a bad idea.

Well at least your outlook isn't narrow-minded, self injected retardation....o wait.... No, no, couldn't be. Here let me Coreect ur post OP "QQ rabble rabble about a system I DON'T HAVE TO USE, then subject the comparative usefulness and interaction of said system to that of a hunter pet" /rethread /gg

You know maybe it isn't. But beware what you say. Starwars just launched it's doing good but still on shaky legs. It's not a very wise decision to start telling players to quit the game at this point.

Bioware has made many changes that potential players have railed against. The great majority of players have shown to be widely positive about the companion system. It's survived a great many forums debates and is in no danger of being removed. So, you can accept it, or you can not accept it, but rest assured, it's already been tempered by the fires of the internet.

I honestly like companions in this game and the influence system.

Right now i'm still low level and i keep sending him on gathering tasks but occasionaly i keep him around for difficoult mobs. i don't see how micromaging is necessary.. seems to me the guy he's smart enough on his own. I simply attack and he does his stuff with no input necessary. Neat