Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware already know pretty well that we want this. I've seen them answering to other threads with a link to this thread.

But a bit silly that they refuse to say anything here at all. I would much appreciate if you from BW had some more information about this issue. I think we all do..

I have a friend on a dead server that I really want to play with on the Tomb of Freedon Nadd server. But nope, his lvl 50's getting forcemoved to another server..

I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself, and I like the game, but things like this really infuriate me. So I really hope paid transfer will be available anytime soon.

Bioware does something = People complain

Bioware does not do something = People complain

Bioware has something in the works = People complain

Bioware is fixing things = People complain

Belive me even if they did make paid character transfers available tomorrow, and gave us all a free transfer token, people would complain.

I mean is it any wonder that most of the SWTOR communication and interaction is done via Facebook ,and twitter? ....gee I wonder why.

Edited by JediElf

The fact that this thread is so extensive yet so badly ignored is unbeliable. The technology is in place already so just open the thing up. There is no need to wait for free to play, just open it up on the account sheet like last time. If you are concerned about server balance then restrict transfers to servers where the player already has a character. It is consolidation that most of us are looking for.

This is supposed to be a proper mmo, not a facebook app, so the option to transfer should be standard, from LAUNCH!

I don't care about a party jawa or a white lightsaber crystal, or a new pet. I simply want to move my level 50 Sage onto the same server as my other 7 toons.

This whole " transfers? Yeah soon but hey we are giving our community a hutt on a skateboard! How great are we? " Attitude is so frustrating.

Bioware has the code.

It's been months since they messed up server populations. Subs are declining again and BW is completely lost regarding customer service. Never have I seen a company act so reckless towards their customer base.

Amazing.

Don't think we should have to pay for it when there are fewer active servers now.

I do think people that have high level characters on one server should get the option to transfer characters from another server to that one. Don't want the servers crowding up, but you should get the right to put all your characters on one server.

Agreed.

I dont think we should pay either. We were forced onto these servers with no second options. Now that the other servers are longer available they should allow us to move at least once to server of choice.

Bioware has the code.

It's been months since they messed up server populations. Subs are declining again and BW is completely lost regarding customer service. Never have I seen a company act so reckless towards their customer base.

Amazing.

Its kinda of sad too...I dropped out of the game around end of january, I dont want a reason to do that again. The system is obviously there, and numbers are going to pick up after f2p, i mean hell lotro tripled its population...so whats the big deal? server balance wont be too much of an issue until then, i just want to merge my characters to one server.

I have a RL friend who plays on a different server than mine. His old guild was over there and has long since been disbanded. He has wanted to switch to my server for months, even willing to pay for it and yet Bioware is still dragging their feet on this.

Waiting until November to implement this AFTER WoW and Rift launch their expansions is a huge mistake IMO.

People waiting to transfer will go play new content in other games rather than sit around in SWTOR waiting to move to where their friends are.

In my opinion, what Bioware should do is open up a window of time where people can transfer their toons to any server that is not marked for removal and then charge for the service on their cash shop when it goes live.

This way they can extend some goodwill to their customers and still make money off ot it when the cash shop goes live.

I'm a "straggler" and they will have to pry my server from my cold dead hands.

And soon they will. As they should for the sake of the game, maintenance costs and quicker development/deployment cycle.

Timeline for SWTOR IMHO:

10/1 Roll out 1.4 if PTS testing does not uncover any major bugs

10/15 Roll out F2P and monitor destination server (aka new core servers) for population impacts (determine if additional destination severs are required or not).

11/1 Begin moving all remaining players on origin servers to destination servers and complete by 11/30

12/1 Paid server transfers.

With this schedule they would reduce their non-discretionary costs (aka having maintenance and update costs around as many severs) by Q1 2013 and increase their ability to fund discretionary projects (new features and functions that players can have access to both micro transaction items and larger features), increasing projected revenue for 2013.

Upside for the players: More people to run things with, more goodies and things to do coming into the game (regardless if you are F2P or Sub), faster Tuesday updates (easier and faster to update and test 40 severs vs. 200), more likely this game will stay fun and have increased longevity.

Edited by MrGrizzly
deeper thought

And soon they will.

How do you know this?

Timeline for SWTOR IMHO:

12/1 Paid server transfers.

And why should they delay this if:

1. There is a huge subscriber demand for this feature

2. The code is already in place

There is absoluletly no benefit from withholding character transfers.

BW is just frustrating their subscribers and causing players to quit. That's one thing they are pretty good at.

How do you know this?

BW is just frustrating their subscribers and causing players to quit. That's one thing they are pretty good at.

This and yes to quitting players over not being able to xfer their characters. It's not like they let us xfer our characters to whatever server we wanted with the free xfers. You might as well still be on a origin server.

Edited by Knockerz

How do you know this?

Well actually my previous post was based on this: http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you-part-ii

That and solid business logic of cost cutting and profit maximization...HOWEVER I missed this: http://www.swtor.com/test-center/news/316140

So now I'm revising my statement that they will test this new "High Population Server Tech" and once they have it working they will update the destination servers and THEN force moves from the old origin servers to the destination servers and THEN open up paid transfers.

Edited by MrGrizzly

So now I'm revising my statement that they will test this new "High Population Server Tech" and once they have it working they will update the destination servers and THEN force moves from the old origin servers to the destination servers and THEN open up paid transfers.

So now they HAVE combined people to High Pop servers, so no more delays. Lets get these transfers going! I had legacies setup with backstory and plans and I want to get the characters with the others where they belong!