Which Code is Your Favorite?

Silimaa

I've never seen the Jedi Original before, and I actually really like it. It doesn't deny emotion, ignorance, passion, and chaos like the modern Jedi code. It accepts that they exist, and that they are ever-present, yet amidst them, one can still find peace, knowledge, serenity, and harmony. An eye within the storm, as it were.

And it got retconned by George Lucas himself because it wasn't restrictive enough to justify the Jedi Council severely restricting or banning marriage/relationships among their members.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take a look at some codes:

Je'daii

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

Jedi Original

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

Jedi Revised

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

Jedi Modern Form

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.

Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect.

Jedi respect all life, in any form.

Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.

Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

Jedi Lightsaber Code

The crystal is the heart of the blade.

The heart is the crystal of the Jedi.

The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.

The Force is the blade of the heart.

All are intertwined.

The crystal, the blade, the Jedi.

We are one.

Sith

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Darth Ruin's Variation

There is no passion…there is solely obsession.

There is no knowledge. There is solely conviction.

There is no purpose. There is solely will.

There is nothing…

Only me.

Smuggler Code:

"Never fight when you can bluff.

Never bluff when you can run.

Never run when you can sneak.

If no one knows you're there, you win.

Mandalorian Resol'nare:

"You will raise your young as Mandalorians—and defend them.

You will wear our armor, and speak our language.

And you will serve the clan, and rally when called.

These are the Resol'nare—the Six Actions—sacred to our movement.

Do them—and you may live to call yourselves Mandalorians!"

So, aside from noticing that the Jedi have too many codes, can't seem to decide on a single formula, and that Luke Skywalker is no poet... Which one do you like best? Which one do you think is most valid? How do you interpret that code?

I decided to add the two non-Force involved codes as an additional contrast.

I think you can figure out which one I follow...

Sith Code.

Makes the most sense.

This is why I love the Je'daii way (though our code needs some work...) We combine the calm of the Jedi with the drive of the Sith. And we had no rebellions either, or at least not among our own. Sigh...

• 2 years later...

in peace vigilance

in war victory

in death sacrifice

wardens for the win!!!

when the not doing something monumentaly stupid like commander clarel or Genevieve you know wht maybe just hit them all on the head with a shovel when a darkspawn with a decent iq shows up it would save a lot of trouble

Well, the "code" that matters for me it the one I was "taught" in Knights of the Old Republic. "There is no emotion, there is peace." Everything else seems to me like second guessing, I'd rather use what we got with all its flaws than redefine what being a jedi is about at every heartbeat to fit my own ideas. I rather work with what I got.

Alright, it's a bit stressing to say "There is no emotion" would not mean there wasn't any emotion, because that's just what it says. Whoever (real world) author came up with this - I believe it originates from a West End Games pen & paper role playing game, but I am not sure - must have interpreted what Yoda says to Luke on Dagobah and extended it a little:

LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses

the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

(To say that a jedi wasn't using the Force for attack is stressing it a bit, too. Depends on what you understand in an attack, but they rely heavily on the Force in a fight.)

I believe that statement was central in inspiring the Jedi code. I find the Sith code a bit lame, because it seems to be deliberately formulated as an antithesis, as an answer to the jedi code, rather than something independent.

What I always find a bit curious is what the code does not say:

It does not say anything about obedience to your superiours and doesn't say anything about rules and orders, it ultimately says to make up one's own mind. It asks a Jedi to do what he believes is right. Given that I "learned" of the code playing Knights of the Old Republic (back when it was released), that puts things into a strange context. The question asked at the beginning of the game is: "What would you have done? Followed Revan, as Carth said one should have, or follow listen to the council, as Bastilla suggests?" The code itself does not give the answer, it just tells you how to find it, so a jedi who followed Revan, and consequently either fell to the dark side or was killed by Revan would not necessarily have broken that central tenet.

The way I see it from my character's point of view is that it describes a state of mine which enables ones to listen to the Force, and the will of the Force outranks everything. It does not necessarily ask me to be cruel and heartless (even though it sure sounds like it), it does ask me to follow the will of the for and try to maintain a universal harmony. Which is why the light side is usually associated with balance.

The line I usually have the greatest problem with is: "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge." Sounds a bit like what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle let his hero Sherlock Holmes say: "It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment." The thing with that is: One never has all the data and thus would render you unable to ever act at all. I let my characters rather act by the principle: "Act based on what you know to be true, rather than on what you fear that might be." But that is not what it says.

However, the jedi code is much larger than this and could include all kinds of things, I understand it's just supposed to be a central tenet.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

True. The real Jedi are of the original code. They had only a few Rebellions in 20000+ years. Then the code was changed and there have been non-stop wars ever since.

Well I have always thought that is because the Je'daii required more discipline and unity. Once it was no longer about balance but the arguments, finally civil war, between the "light" and "dark" factions it was doomed to end in perpetual warfare. Two diametrically opposed factions became supreme, each seeking to dominate the other AND both denigrating what they called gray. I mean really what can go wrong with that scenario :p

For their to be peace in any society, you need a core of unity. If the core is fractured conflict is the inevitable result.

Edited by Ghisallo

Well, it is called Star Wars. If it was called Star Peace and everything was harmony no one would care about it. The Force has a polarizing effect.

The Je'daii could be out fighting other things. Heck they could even be fighting Dark Je'daii.

The force doesn't have the polarizing... The polarization comes from the people that say the light is THE way or the Dark. Hell it is new and old Canon (though in old canon George changed his mind 2 or 3 times) that too much light or darkness would basically doom the Universe.

Just because some people aren't sophisticated enough to wrap their brains around concepts that are more complicated than "me wear white hat...am good guy. Dem where black hats...dem bad guys" doesn't mean we have to cater to them.

The Je'daii could be out fighting other things. Heck they could even be fighting Dark Je'daii.

The force doesn't have the polarizing... The polarization comes from the people that say the light is THE way or the Dark. Hell it is new and old Canon (though in old canon George changed his mind 2 or 3 times) that too much light or darkness would basically doom the Universe.

Just because some people aren't sophisticated enough to wrap their brains around concepts that are more complicated than "me wear white hat...am good guy. Dem where black hats...dem bad guys" doesn't mean we have to cater to them.

Well, it gets tricky when you say certain statements, that originally explained the Force to the audience, where biased and thusly wrong. I for one consider what Yoda says to Luke the way the Force is actually supposed to be.

Run! Yes. A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger... fear... aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

He describes it in a way that the dark side was addictive, hence my thought that the Force polarizes depending on how you use it... one gravitates to the one side or the other, but it is next to impossible to maintain a middle ground.

Now, any author can claim something different and he's not wrong about it, with the explanation that the statements about the Force in the movies were biased by the views of the speakers, but then you're not talking about the same Force as in the movies anymore, but rather a re-definition of the Force. Those statements were the original explanations of the Force.

EDIT: And yes, that George Lucas kept changing things about the Force (Mediclorians... ugh...) wasn't exactly helpful. I suppose he is one of the artist who is never truly happy with his story. That some people used his work as basis for their own stories and that his constant changes is driving them nuts, not to mention their audience, did never truly occur to him I suppose, even though he was earning pretty well from it and compromising a littlle here and there would not have hurt.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

My prefered Code

Conquer Arrogance

Jedi were required to learn that, although they were able to use the Force, they were no better than those who could not. Jedi were taught that they were only Jedi because some had taken the trouble to teach them, not because they were superior to others, and that a Jedi Master was only a Jedi Master because he had disregarded his own sense of self-importance and embraced the will of the Force

Conquer Overconfidence

Many young Jedi students, while learning the ways of the Force, began to believe that they could accomplish anything. Many young Jedi died taking on tasks that were far too difficult for them, not realizing that the Force was only truly limitless to those who had limitless understanding.[4]

Conquer Defeatism

"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try."

Conquer Stubbornness

(struggle with this) :p

Jedi would always have been ready to accept defeat if the cost of winning was greater than the cost of losing. Jedi were taught that it was always best to end things peacefully than to win or lose.[4]

Conquer Recklessness

"Learn to recognize when speed is not important. Race when being first is important; move at your own pace at all other times. It is not necessary to always strike the first blow, to provide the first solution, or to reach a goal before anyone else does. In fact, it is sometimes vital to strike the last blow, to give the final answer, or to arrive after everyone else."

Conquer Curiosity

Many inexperienced Force-sensitives used the Force to satisfy their curiosity, probing into the business of others. Intruding gave the clear message that the Jedi felt they were above others' privacy. Jedi were taught that although using the Force to discreetly uncover the secrets of others may have been occasionally necessary, it should never become a matter of course, as it would cause great distrust of the Jedi in general.[4]

Conquer Aggression

(Occasionally struggle with this)

A sizable number of Jedi, in training, confused the meanings of attack, defense and aggression. Thus Younglings were taught that it was possible for a Jedi to strike without aggression, so long as they acted without recklessness, hatred or anger. A Jedi was permitted to kill in self-defense—only if there was no other option. However, Jedi instructors taught their students that killing, no matter what the circumstances, was not to become commonplace. To conquer aggression, even in combat, a Jedi must have explored every other option, including surrender, before resorting to using lethal force. Jedi who depended on murder were close to the Dark side of the Force.[4]

Conquer External Loyalties

(this I only slightly agree with)

A Jedi is a Jedi, first and foremost, and only. For a Jedi to divide his attention between the will of the Force and the will of others is to invite disaster."

Conquer Materialism

"I wear my robe so that I am warm; I carry my lightsaber so that I am safe; and I keep enough credits for my next meal, so that I am not hungry. If the Force wants me to have more, it finds a way of letting me know."

hence my thought that the Force polarizes depending on how you use it... one gravitates to the one side or the other, but it is next to impossible to maintain a middle ground.

See that is the issue... HUMAN nature via the western mind set. The Force is beyond human nature. the force itself is beyond good and evil. It is living beings who place subjectiveness on everything, who say "you are either with us or against us."

It also is not a redefinition of the force. The concept I am talking about is Lucas' original idea for the force. Please note the following is all meta.... based on interviews and the like over time...

He had stated, originally at least, that the Force simply was the energy that connected all living things... PERIOD...end of story. Life, the force, is not about control or chaos, it is about balance. Originally that was the concept. The problem is somewhere along the way Lucas actually started to believe his movies were children's movies... he then changed the concept to balance being the elimination of all evil (come the prequels). Personally I think he just had the stereotypical lack of respect for you average Sci-Fi/fantasy fan that lots of people do.

BUT Lucas changed his mind again come season 3 of TCW. Here they retintroduced the concept of that too much light or dark would lead to destruction and specifically that the purpose of the Chosen one is to keep BOTH in check. Maybe he realized with the success of the Marvel Comics movies and LotR that his movies didn't have to be "kids" movies. So this isn't about an individual author, this is about the changing vision from Balance, to "white and black" and then back to balance again.

The Sith Code helps when i am doing push ups or climbing a hill.

The Jedi Code helps when i am trying to fall asleep.

It's a tie.

Actually I find neither helps with either. (Honest). When I am not gaming I am an amature cyclists...one of those guys who you see in spandex on the road. I see that pedaling as kinda a mantra BUT I can't go dark side. If I do while attacking that mountain on the bike I will "pop" before the top. if I go light side I will get to the top but not as fast. It's about riding that razors edge between to hard and to easy.

And tbh I think that is why eventually the Je'daii fell to pieces. riding that razors edge is NOT easy. In looking at the three paths, balance, light or dark it is actually probably the hardest of them all.

Mandalorian Resol'nare: Ba'jur, Beskar'gam, Aliit, Ara'nov, Mando'a, and, Mand'alor

Cause its cool, and somewhat practical without spiritual nonsense...

Also, the correct version is above, the one in the description provides an explanation of each word...

Edited by StarSquirrel