Which Code is Your Favorite?

Silimaa

See that is the issue... HUMAN nature via the western mind set. The Force is beyond human nature. the force itself is beyond good and evil. It is living beings who place subjectiveness on everything, who say "you are either with us or against us."

That again sounds to me as though you were trying to redefine what the Force is by applying what you think is proper conduct in the real world. "Because western society has a limited view in this or that regard the Force in Star Wars has to be like this or that..." Well, it does not work that way. You cannot judge what the Force in Star Wars is by looking at the society in the real world. You must understand one essential thing: The Force does not exist, it is fiction. It was invented to tell an interesting story. Any induction to the nature of the Force from observing the real world is invalid.

You might consider it politically incorrect to apply black and white thinking, or thinking in boxes (I know I do), but that is irrelevant to the way the Force works in Star Wars. It is not meant to be political correct.

While I do not disagree when you say "the Force itself is beyond good and evil", from what we see in the movies it becomes aparent that it still polarizes between a "light side" and a "dark side", depending on how you use it. There is but one Force, but whoever uses it is drawn to the one side or the other. What I think about that is irrelevant, it's just the way it is depicted.

Of course "black and white thinking" or "thinking in boxes" is a bad thing in the real world, but that's simply how Star Wars works. And it's not even necessarily a bad thing from a story telling point of view. Shakespear often uses clear stereotypes, why would George Lucas not?

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

The Force is very similar to Prana or Chi with the exception that there is no Dark Side.

And ''channeling'' it is very similar to what people adept in yoga(not the western stretching nonsense), buddhism and hinduism do during meditation.

And Shaolin monks train and fight while their mind is in a meditative state.Similar to what Jedi do.You can see similarities between Jedi Guardians and Shaolin Monks.

Edited by Kaedusz

...You must understand one essential thing: The Force does not exist, it is fiction. It was invented to tell an interesting story. Any induction to the nature of the Force from observing the real world is invalid.

You might consider it politically incorrect to apply black and white thinking, or thinking in boxes (I know I do), but that is irrelevant to the way the Force works in Star Wars. It is not meant to be political correct.

While I do not disagree when you say "the Force itself is beyond good and evil", from what we see in the movies it becomes aparent that it still polarizes between a "light side" and a "dark side", depending on how you use it. There is but one Force, but whoever uses it is drawn to the one side or the other. What I think about that is irrelevant, it's just the way it is depicted.

Of course "black and white thinking" or "thinking in boxes" is a bad thing in the real world, but that's simply how Star Wars works. And it's not even necessarily a bad thing from a story telling point of view. Shakespear often uses clear stereotypes, why would George Lucas not?

Well... fiction is a term commonly used to cover something real, to deceive the untrained eye. The force does not exist? I don't know, I think it's implications are far superior and more deep than those explained in the movies.

One thing that is curious is how the term BALANCE is always mentioned in the 6 movies, but actually no one is able to achieve it. So I guess the movies imply that being in the center of things, not to react to something, being cool.... is one of the most difficult things to do. And that's the true essence of the Force. Control yourself to DO NOTHING.

Really interesting, if you ask me. DO NOTHING.

Well... fiction is a term commonly used to cover something real, to deceive the untrained eye. The force does not exist? I don't know, I think it's implications are far superior and more deep than those explained in the movies.

One thing that is curious is how the term BALANCE is always mentioned in the 6 movies, but actually no one is able to achieve it. So I guess the movies imply that being in the center of things, not to react to something, being cool.... is one of the most difficult things to do. And that's the true essence of the Force. Control yourself to DO NOTHING.

Really interesting, if you ask me. DO NOTHING.

Balance is a common subject for people who don't know much about Star Wars to get caught up on.

Balance in SW terms was achieved with the defeat of Sidious and Vader and the rise of Luke. A "Balanced" force in SW doesn't require equal halves "light" and "dark" but instead entirely "light" as the "dark" is merely a perversion or corruption of the force which is, by nature, "light".

Does that help you guys any? Oh, and while Lucas got some ideas from Eastern thought, the concept of the force is not entirely based on it, and looking to Eastern religion and thought and assuming that it directly relates to the Force just because they seem similar is incorrect. Using Eastern Though allows the views of the Jedi (which may seem strange) to be more comprehensible, but they don't always cross over, so stop making connections where there are none.

By the way, the version of the "Force" ya'll seem to be thinking of is called the "Unifying Force" and is perhaps best known for being embraced by Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus) and at this moment is perhaps the most "non-canon" view out there after the EU purge.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Not anymore...

First concept of the force (by Lucas)... Yin and Yang... Balance...the force simply is, light or dark are both part of it.

Second concept... Here you are correct. Lucas said the purpose of the Chosen one was to bring an end to evil in the galaxy. This indeed bringing balance.

BUT WAIT FOR IT...

TCW Clone wars season three comes along. There Father says that if either comes to be paramount, Light or Dark, it would lead to the destruction of the Universe. He had hoped the Chosen One would actually replace him in keeping light and dark in balance. Lucas himself in the TCW Season three confirms this by saying the purpose of the Chosen One was to keep Dark AND Light in check... thus explaining why Anakin first went Dark, helped to wipe out the Jedi order and then later killed Sidious.

Is it confusing, the switches? Yep. Is it annoying yep. BUT Balance is canon. Balance being light was only canon for the brief time the Prequels were actually being released.

So when you look at the new "rules" basically back in the day before the rule of two there was balance, a Sith order and a Jedi order going at each other. The rule of two though allowed the Jedi order to become ascendant until Sidious made his move. If Anakin would have just helped Windy take out sidious the Jedi would have become paramount. So to fulfill the prophecy Anakin has to go dark first and be redeemed later.

tl;dr... The new canon says the theory of the unifying force is the correct one, the idea that balance is the light is the class philosophy. Due to this error in philosophy the prophesy of the Chosen One was misinterpreted. (Don't blame me blame TCW Season 3 and Lucas himself for what amounts to a second retcon of the nature of the force. The whole idea of the unifying force being an idea few Jedi adhered to was actually put in place to justify the first retcon.)

Edited by Ghisallo

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Totally my favorite.

The Sith code of Darth Baras:

The cake is a lie, there is only pie.

Through pie, I gain calories.

Through calories, I gain fat.

My belt shall be broken.

The recliner shall free me.

ZirusZero's would be a very close second, though.

All the rest are kinda lame.

What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Totally my favorite.

ZirusZero's would be a very close second, though.

All the rest are kinda lame.

Well if that first one works I think this one is the best...

Lo there do I see my father; Lo there do I see my mother, my sisters and my brothers; Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever

13th Warrior - Lo there do I see my father HD:

That again sounds to me as though you were trying to redefine what the Force is by applying what you think is proper conduct in the real world. "Because western society has a limited view in this or that regard the Force in Star Wars has to be like this or that..." Well, it does not work that way. You cannot judge what the Force in Star Wars is by looking at the society in the real world. You must understand one essential thing: The Force does not exist, it is fiction. It was invented to tell an interesting story. Any induction to the nature of the Force from observing the real world is invalid.

The force does not exist BUT it is based on Zen and Taoist concepts of Ying and Yang. This has been stated by Lucas on more than one occasion. So when trying to define it you need to think of say Laozi saying that good is WILLED as good only by distinguishing it as evil, that evil is in essence a human conteivance. We also have the similar Zen concept of good and evil really not making sense in the western sense. That requires a sense of dualism and that is VERY un-Zen instead they define it as letting go of past misdeeds and guarding against future ones, tasks to be performed by ourselves alone.."

In essence in both philosophies Lucas used when he created the force we have a unified Yin/Yang vs to opposing forces and it is humanity that tries to make them opposing forces.

So if you have a problem with me complaining about the western mind set coloring how people will see the force... Blame Lucas who until the prequel movies was pounding the drum for the above...until he did his 180 in the prequels...then another 180 in TCW season 3.

So if you have a problem with me complaining about the western mind set coloring how people will see the force... Blame Lucas who until the prequel movies was pounding the drum for the above...until he did his 180 in the prequels...then another 180 in TCW season 3.

I don't think George Lucas was personally involved so very much in TCW... unless you count Katie Lucas as heir... but since he sold Star Wars to Disney (which was probably a good thing from a personal point of view, I had the feeling he had just enough of it and actually became a little frustrated with how obsessed people, including myself, were with his movies) that does not really apply anymore.