The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is "Peeling"?

Banderal

Peeling is generally used to refer to either a player or mob being removed from another player

using CC (a snare, a root, a mezz , a knockback, a stun) to relieve pressure off one of your teammates -especially your Healer

or a Taunt in PvE.

Aggro dumb like e.g. Smugglers Surrender would be a self peel

Edited by Sabredance

it means to peel off from your orginal target and attack another

Haha :D

That could end badly.

your Healer: "Peel this damn Marauder !"

you: "Ok." Attack someone else.

your Healer: "@#*$ !!!!"

Edited by Sabredance

So, sometimes fruits will taste bitter and tough when you bite into them. This is because the fruit has a thick, protective rind as its outer layer. The part you want to eat is below said rind. To remove it, all you need to do is 'peel', or remove, the layer. This is most commonly done with a "peeler", an instrument that slices the rind right off of the fruit! I bet oranges are going to taste whole lot better!

But seriously, peeling is getting an attacker off of the person asking for the peel. For instance, I can peel a marauder off of my healer by throwing some slows on him, maybe some CC.

Peeling is a term primarily applied to healers. In some cases strong ranged dps'ers.

Peeling is the act of pulling, pushing, cc'ing, slowing or just outright killing the player trying to kill another class to relieve pressure off of them so they can do their job with ease.

In theory, it means to intercept an enemy player who is attacking a high priority friendly. The intercept can come as either forcing them to target you, CCing them, or terminating them.

In practice, it means complaining about not getting heals while your healer is in the respawn area.

Just want to point out that no one mentioned taunt and guard in pvp. Tanks are by far the best peelers, as they can easily nullify 80% of the damage going to their ally. 50% will be sent to the tank, however, but it will be mitigated according to their armor/shield/defense. At any rate, a stubborn attacker may as well be swinging a couch cushion at that point.

The other explanations above are good too.

I believe the term is a metaphor relating the rind of a fruit to the intense focus fire of an attacker. Which is actually odd considering the context. By peeling the fruit you are thereby making it more vulnerable. Logic would indicate the fruit would be better protected with its rind on.

However, loosely translated the phrase means "There's a marauder on my *** and I need help"!

In theory, it means to intercept an enemy player who is attacking a high priority friendly. The intercept can come as either forcing them to target you, CCing them, or terminating them.

In practice, it means complaining about not getting heals while your healer is in the respawn area.

It also means to peel for a teammate who may be capturing a turret or planting a bomb. If you and another player just cleared a turret of the enemy players, one should "flip" the turret whilst the other player "peels" off the incoming opponents from the incoming speeders. CC them, do not engage the turret as your teammate is engaging the turret, this is a big,common, error i see often. There should never be two people capturinga turret or planting a bomb, the 2nd person is wasting his time.

And as said prior, peel players off healers. Generally if someone, who is concentrating on killing a healer, is attacked he will stop attacking the healer to kill the "peeler," this keeps the healer alive, and the (rescued) healer will usually heal you through that fight.

Edited by richardya

In GW1 we referred to it as "linebacking." As a DPS class you focus on playing defensively by targeting enemy DPS (usually melee DPS) in order to take pressure off your healers. Basically you're focusing more on playing a defensive game by hampering enemy damage than you are on playing an offensive game by hampering enemy healing.

Mostly getting players off your healers, but also shattering their group formation in general.

A couple of players who are far away from each other are far less effective and more prone to being focused down. When you move as a tight group, you're less prone to being focused (unless you've got a premade with voice chat against you, but even then) and you're more likely to all focus on the same target. yourselves.

So knock people off points and throw a snare after them, harpoon them away from the rest of their murderous comrades, mez their team and blast lone targets.

Prevent them from forming a pain-train.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

Peeling is the Act of Selective pulling Social Mobs.

Pulling 1 single NPC from a stack, either by using a single taunt,

or LOS, as not to pull Multiple NPC's, but 1 single at a time.

Often used in boss Encounters.

"going to peel the healer, from the boss"

• 1 year later...

Have been severed questioned a couple of times when I on my Jedi tank has been separating the other teams healer from the opponents group and in some cases the main fight - in the belief that some other than just me would jump and slow their healer - thought I give this old thread a bumb - to all you new arrived wonders of PvP . . .

Now this move doesn't just apply on separating the healer from a group to focus down unguarded, it also do wonders on the ballcarrier in any huttball game . . . Now as always disregard any misplaced pve answers in this thread ....

Edited by t-darko

Now I understand why I'm not at all at the top of the damage list on the scoreboard ... because I see "peeling" as my primary function ... I just didn't know it was called that way ...

And now I understand why I'm so bad : A "Peeler" NEVER gets into ANY high spot of the scoreboard ... and therefore NEVER gets ANY MVP votes ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Now I understand why I'm not at all at the top of the damage list on the scoreboard ... because I see "peeling" as my primary function ... I just didn't know it was called that way ...

And now I understand why I'm so bad : A "Peeler" NEVER gets into ANY high spot of the scoreboard ... and therefore NEVER gets ANY MVP votes ...

yeah. that must be it.... :rolleyes:

Peeling is used in rare cases where one class dominates another like when I killed that jugg with my shadow, I said in Ops chat. "I peeled that imp like a banana."

You would think that would you - think I re-awaken another thread to give you something to think about:rolleyes:

yeah. that must be it.... :rolleyes:

Of course it is. My overall damage is just too small to be contributing much, because of taking my primary role seriously.

And only those who show up in the top ranks of the score boards get MVP votes. Have you ever seen the flash grenade doing any great damage ? Or the leg shot ?

think of it as a banana

the inner part of a banana u eat is ur healer/teammate/whatever

the outer part is the annoying sorcs/snipers/whatever trying to hinder the inner part of the banana

so what u do is u peel them off so u can get to the good stuff inside