So when is the sound situation going to be addressed

Gifts

My wife and I are quite disappointed with the sound and music in this game. I remember the update that commented on just the music for this game and I was hella pumped. After playing beta and since early access this has to be one of the biggest disappointments for me towards this game. Hearing the sound of your speeder more than epic Star Wars music is a serious let down.

I've had this in mind lately too. That update/video had them talking about how they had to think about how an Imperial cantina would sound. But in-game, both factions have the same music in their cantinas as jukebox options. Imperial cantina music sounds just as "ANH cantina-y" as the Republic's. I would've guessed an Imperial cantina's music would sound more dark and foreboding or even patriotic than a Republic cantina's. But alas, not so.

On hearing your speeder's sounds more than music, they really do need to put in a "Loop Music" checkbox. I know they mentioned in a Q&A a while back ,but nothing so far for what should be an easy thing to add.

Edited by GonzyHalcyon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have on-board sound, no 'SoundBlaster' and I'm sure that goes for others with sound issues. So move along. Just because you don't have the problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist:X

Having the same issues as others in the thread at least since 1.2. Although I think I've noticed my sounds slowly disappearing even when I wasn't grouped. It does happen a lot in WZ's and OP's as well. And it's not just me, also happens on my wife's computer and others in the guild while we're in OP's.

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Don't be too hard on Bioware, people have all sorts of different computer systems and it's impossible to avoid all driver conflicts. You know it's still not too late to purchase the collector's edition of the game. That edition comes with an audio CD holding most of the music ingame, so you can listen to it while you play.

Wat? You mean this wasn't intended? I thought they were just doing consumer research to determine if future content could be delivered without that expensive voice acting. And also, if they could stop paying royalties to the current crop of voice actors.

Statement: I've never noticed sound going away. I've had many instances where I'd hear the ambient sounds from one planet play while on my ship or a completely different planet. It would even play when at the Character Selection screen.

Statement: I also don't like the fact that you can't hear anything behind you except extremely muffled explosions with surround sound and you can't disable it.

Continuation: There's also the personal speeder thing which I've gotten used to for the most part but would like it reverted.

Conclusion: And finally the random sounds of electricity and the constant electrical sound caused by the Inquisitor's Spike ability that was supposed to have been fixed.

I just came back to the game after a month of inactivity and upon creating a new bounty hunter, I noticed that the background music is not playing until my character arrives at the Poison Pit cantina. Also, I noticed that somtimes during character creation, there is absolutely no sound. Does this sound like something that could be attributed to the issues being discussed here? Edited by Gendrasto
typo

I just came back to the game after a month of inactivity and upon creating a new bounty hunter, I noticed that the background music is not playing until my character arrives at the Poison Pit cantina. Also, I noticed that somtimes during character creation, there is absolutely no sound. Does this sound like something that could be attributed to the issues being discussed here?

Answer: I would say so. This all started around the same time.

Answer: I would say so. This all started around the same time.

Hmm, well I'm at least glad to know that it's not just me. I wish I'd known about this before I renewed my subscription, though. I'd have preferred to wait until it was resolved, as I absolutely hate playing a game while something like this is happening. :(

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. Don't be too hard on Bioware, people have all sorts of different computer systems and it's impossible to avoid all driver conflicts. You know it's still not too late to purchase the collector's edition of the game. That edition comes with an audio CD holding most of the music ingame, so you can listen to it while you play.

Yeah there are a lot of other 200 million dollar games for the PC which have sound problems for most people who play then. No reason to be hard on bioware. I mean just look at diablo ... 3 million people are running that on 3 million different PCs; they must have HUGE sound problems

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150763862

Oh ... two ... people.

You know, maybe the OP is completely full of crap and it's a completely reasonable thing to expect a PC game to work on different PCs, or at the least not have a issue with something as big as "the sound".

I cannot hear conversations at all without head phones on. It's been that way since closed beta, open beta and launch. I hope they fix it soon, because I'm sick of wearing them in 120 degrees weather. I sweat like crazy in them, even with the air conditioner on.

I've been having sound issues ever since 1.2.. never had them before 1.2 however.

During 16 man operations my sound is guaranteed to become choppy within 20 minutes. It doesn't disappear completely but the best way I can describe it is that maybe 10% of the sound effects are actually heard properly.. the rest start to play but are cut off.. voices are almost never heard once the issue starts.

The same thing happens in Warzones though it usually takes 3 or more for it to start showing up.

It also happens when playing solo but takes several hours to show up.

In all cases the only way to fix the issue is to quit the game client and log back in.

It would be great to get this issue fixed.. its driving me crazy and the symptoms smell suspiciously like a memory leak from the way it behaves.

Yeah there are a lot of other 200 million dollar games for the PC which have sound problems for most people who play then. No reason to be hard on bioware. I mean just look at diablo ... 3 million people are running that on 3 million different PCs; they must have HUGE sound problems

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150763862

Oh ... two ... people.

You know, maybe the OP is completely full of crap and it's a completely reasonable thing to expect a PC game to work on different PCs, or at the least not have a issue with something as big as "the sound".

Fortunately the sound isn't that big a deal in MMOs as it is in adventure games. Most people I know play with their own music in the background.

As Many others have reported I have sound issues also.

The main ones seem to be triggered by WZ where the static sound from a sorcerers lightning attack. The whirlwind one that is a root. The electricity sound persists.

The example would be i die while that effect is playing in one area of the WZ. The space you play in is all the same, like a "holodeck" kind of. It just gets re-purposed to represent different areas of the game.

So if I return to that spot or certain spots I can always hear the electricity.

The problem is then I load into my ship and when i run to certain areas I can still hear the sound. So its like I am in the same space and the "holodeck" has been changed to represent my ship now but the sound is still there from the last space that was represented.

Strange way to describe it but that's what it feels like is happening.

We have responded to sound issue concerns previously (someone in this thread quoted Amber's earlier response from another thread), but I did want to make sure everyone knew that we are definitely still working to address them!

Why don't you do what every other software company with decent processes in place would have done by now, and REVERT TO CODE THAT WORKED. I suggest 1.1.5, since while it had issues at least vocals in cutscenes/warzones/encounters played without fail. You broke something in 1.2, it affects nearly everyone in my guild every raid night, and quite simply it shows your incompetence that it's taken this long to remedy. We know that you have the versioning control software to do this, since you patched out a lot of 1.2 the friday night of the week that 1.2 was released to live, and then restored it 8ish hours later.

Why don't you do what every other software company with decent processes in place would have done by now, and REVERT TO CODE THAT WORKED. I suggest 1.1.5, since while it had issues at least vocals in cutscenes/warzones/encounters played without fail. You broke something in 1.2, it affects nearly everyone in my guild every raid night, and quite simply it shows your incompetence that it's taken this long to remedy. We know that you have the versioning control software to do this, since you patched out a lot of 1.2 the friday night of the week that 1.2 was released to live, and then restored it 8ish hours later.

Geez dood, calm down. Everyone knows Bioware is all about story telling, not fixing game breaking bugs.

Geez dood, calm down. Everyone knows Bioware is all about story telling, not fixing game breaking bugs.

Why would I be happy that a major component of a service I pay for has not worked properly for 2 1/2 months? I used to run a software support desk, and quite simply, this level of incompetence gets you fired in the real world. Funnily enough....

I've been thinking about it though as I drink my coffee, I really only have myself to blame. I played Warhammer Online after Bioware has handed the controls by EA, and the same thing that happened there is happening here. Patches that break more things than they fix, and those new bugs are never really removed, only lessened. For instance, my companion STILL doesn't auto-summon when I dismount, zone, take an elevator, or do anything that might bring up the 'loading' screen. Despite this being in many a patch note as fixed.

Bioware are there own worst enemy, I know they inherited WAR, but they had many a year to fix it in and it never happened, crappy performance in PVP, bad gameplay, disconnects, bad design desicions, crappy textures, terrible gear progression.....

This one Bioware has half throttled on their own. I subbed for 6 months at release, dunno if I will keep that kind of commitment up.

Edited by Kolreth

Why would I be happy that a major component of a service I pay for has not worked properly for 2 1/2 months? I used to run a software support desk, and quite simply, this level of incompetence gets you fired in the real world. Funnily enough....

I've been thinking about it though as I drink my coffee, I really only have myself to blame. I played Warhammer Online after Bioware has handed the controls by EA, and the same thing that happened there is happening here. Patches that break more things than they fix, and those new bugs are never really removed, only lessened. For instance, my companion STILL doesn't auto-summon when I dismount, zone, take an elevator, or do anything that might bring up the 'loading' screen. Despite this being in many a patch note as fixed.

Bioware are there own worst enemy, I know they inherited WAR, but they had many a year to fix it in and it never happened, crappy performance in PVP, bad gameplay, disconnects, bad design desicions, crappy textures, terrible gear progression.....

This one Bioware has half throttled on their own. I subbed for 6 months at release, dunno if I will keep that kind of commitment up.

I feel your pain. Really, I do. But we all knew what we were getting into when we shelled out the credits for this game. A great story. That's it. Nothing more. I mean, you don't need the sound to read the awesome story via subtitles.

Geez, you people want everything handed to you. Now you want bug fixes as well...

Edited by Ignicity

The issue of characters not speaking in cutscenes seems to be from having the game running for an extended period of time; somewhere well over 2 hours but it inevitably happens a few times on a swtor-oriented day.

I've had some occasions where me and a friends start getting this issue at about the same time. Leading me to believe that it's either a result of stepping over a certain timeframe or it's a result of stumbling upon a semi-rare script in some cutscenes that we've shared.

I don't mind so much if I'm doing PvP or space barring through the same old endgame cutscenes, Relaunching fixes it. But it's still especially frustrating if you just want to get your head down and blaze your pre-50s through the planets.

Thank you for the additional reports, everyone. We're still monitoring reports of sound issues and are addressing each individual problem as we're able. We do have more fixes coming soon! Thanks again for letting us know when/how/where this is happening.

I have a couple sound bugs to be honest.

One is the when I'm playing the game so long that certain in game sounds just cut out all together. like sound effects, or certain dialogue points.

The other is an annoying electricity type sound. This sound is on-going, non-top in my ship from time to time. And it's only around certain areas of the ship. Like I can go to a spot and hear it loud, and then walk away from that spot and the sound will get softer and softer until I can't hear it anymore unless I go back to that area. I first heard this in the main section of my Operative ship, but I now hear it in other character ships too. It's not literally every time I'm on my ship, but when the bug happens(i have no idea what triggers it) the electricity sound doesn't stop. I can leave the ship, and come back. Close the client, and come back. And the sound is still there.

I can even hear this at the character select screen. Which after I heard it, I saw the background and it shows my character in his ship.

I dunno what it is, but it's annoying as CRAP

Play with the sound off? It won't be as big a problem then.

And no, I'm not just being snarky. I frequently play without bothering to turn on my speakers. I've noticed that if I have the sound off, I can play the game just fine. I use my abilities correctly, and everything.

But when I turn the sound on, and get hit by this bug, I start messing up my skill usage. I become "used" to basing skill usage off the audible cues and not just the visual ones. So when the audible cues start (occasional) failing, it messes everything up.

('Course, either way I'm spacing through the dialog after reading the subtitles, so don't even really notice the occasional lack of VA in cutscenes all that much)

From what I have noticed the silence in conversations and / or combat sounds coming and going tends to happen after I have been online for a while and seems to happen faster or more often when I have been grouping. Makes me wonder if there is a memory leak or something like that contributing to this bug.

Whenever I go to Corellia then leave the planet the ambient sticks forever till I close the game. I can travel to a different planet and even switch to a different character I will still hear bombing and city noises.

Is it to put in the same bag of sound issues?

I experienced an issue today that has happened twice with me before in the past week (hasn't happened before that). Pretty much all vocals dissapear and I hear only the rare words/sentences here and there. It's not the end of the world because I've put subtitles on but is a little irritating.

Not sure if this issue has been documented or not but there you go.