[Discussion] presumably strongest single-target-dps-class

xFaLLeNaNgeLx

Hi everyone, i know this might be a polarizing topic and there might be a lot of flamers and people who would say: "it depends on the player and gear", which is true to a degree, but i want to aproach this topic quite scientificly.

So my question to be discussed is: what class is presumably the strongest single target dps class? Im talking about the stochastics. So if we pretend this to be a scientific study and we would examen 10.000 players of each class with equivalent gear, the individual "skill" should be ignorable on such a high cohort.

Which class do you think would make the cut and be the most efficient dmg-dealer.

(once again not taking into consideration that in different encounters, different dmg dealers would win or that a very good player could outdamage a bad one playing the presumably better dmg-dealer-class)

let the discussion begin...

Me starting with: Assassin

.... just killing some time until i get my invite mail ;)

Edited by xFaLLeNaNgeLx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how the heck people should really know? It's not the point of gear or what... there is simply no combat log and barely any people who did any significant content where any estimation is possible...

For all we know it may end up being some unexpected AC and just because it has the best resource management to allow him to spam his relatively crappy attacks forever, while someone like let's say your Assassin will end up "olol pewpewpew... wut no force... saber strike, saber strike /sadface".

Well, all I am saying is that the thread is useless, because everyone will be either stating their own class choices or "a friend of my friend read on forums that class X is the ****!" or "I was in beta and class X like totally rocked everything".

It's just SO vague, that we just can't really know anything.

I dare say, that Arsenal Merc BH will be on top... its numbers are lower than Sniper, but it has much better resource management, that allows him to spam more. On the other hand, Sniper has some real heavy hitters, but he runs out of energy FAST if he spams them.

Most dps specs will have greater diversity (greater chanse to survive buffs/nerfs, greater chanse to fit the encounter (burst, long time, etc)

Therefor a sentinel/marauder or a gunslinger/sniper.

Range usually have the advantage to be able to reach targets easier. So if you want single target on a dummy (standing still) my guess is marauder/sentinel over a gunslinger/sniper (of couse, due to the cover mechaninc, snipers and gunslingers also benefit a lot from not moving).

So the answere you seek is simply marauder/sentinel, pr perhaps gunslinger/sniper.

Do you wanna be a Jedi or a Han Solo/James Bond?

Everyone has valid points towards this discussion. It is, in fact, too early to tell what class will trump other dps classes. However, I think its safe to say that we've all had beta experience and some of us have experimented with several classes and therefor have somewhat of a knowledge base for which they can comment on.

I think it should be noted that any conclusions made shouldn't be set in stone (as far as I know) as I don't think anyone has seen the full potential of any one class with "tier" level gear.

Myself, I played a BH and a IA. I found the BH has much more sustainable damage as it was mentioned before. The BH has utilities that can be used to maintain steady DPS where an IA is similar to a vanilla POM pyro mage from WoW (sorry for the reference).

It may seem irrelevant now but I think this something worth while to discuss because it will give other players some insight as to how certain classes will operate and hence give them some direction for what they want to do/play.

Looking forward to EGA as well as further input into this thread. Gets people thinking and thats good!

Cheers.

Really impossible to tell until people get to the point where they have the gear to test it. Even then, to really be certain the theorycrafters will have to crank out their sims and excel sheets.

Presumably though, I think it will likely be a class/spec that has no option to heal or tank, a pure DPS if you will. You never know though, which DPS has the highest top-end can vary based only on what gear they have available to them at end game. A really good weapon or trinket in the content tier can make the difference.

If you talk about total damage caused then I would say Jedi Sentinel with a build focusing building centering and keeping the 15% damage group buff up. In total this would cause a significant amount of DPS from everyone in the group.

As implied in earlier post I think it depends on whether you are looking at short term or long. In a shorter fight the Sniper can deal a lot of damage but runs into energy problems relatively fast, where as some of the other classes can continue to 'spam' their skills that do less damage on each hit.

If you talk about total damage caused then I would say Jedi Sentinel with a build focusing building centering and keeping the 15% damage group buff up. In total this would cause a significant amount of DPS from everyone in the group.

15s buff, 5min cooldown on the 15% damage buff.

At first, I thought the lack of a log / parse ability was a bit of an issue but actually - it may just be an awesome idea. When I think back to how many threads, flames, gripes, threats to quit and epic tantrums were thrown over which EQ2 class had the highst DPS or whether it was burst or overtime - examining parses, boasting about topping the parse, arguing over who was OP ......yadda, yadda. It might just be the best idea not to have a log and parse ability - might save a lot of relatively pointless bickering down the road....but I digress...

I'm not sure which class will have the highest DPS - but I'll put a plug in for the Inquisitor / Sorcerer AC. My guess is the Inquisitor will start out underpowered relative to their ability to take damage - my Beta experience seemed to confirm that. BUT my guess is (and I didn't get high enough to check) that the Inquisitor DPS curve will start a rapid ramp-up just following say mid-level cap. So over their level-lifetime, an Inquisitor will start out squishy and vulnerable, progress to slightly less squishy but still vulnerable, and end up mostly squishy but able to put down some serious damage - provided they're given appropriate cover from tanks and other meat shields. I could guess that perhaps say a Bounty Hunter might be the opposite - they might start out with a high damage ratio relative to their level and peers but towards level cap the balance will have shifted - perhaps not because the BH lost anything but simply because the Inquisitor DPS curve ramped higher, faster. Just a guess though.

Sniper/Gunslinger and Marauder/Sentinel using the Annihilation/Watchman Tree are currently the highest Single Target at max level

As it should be. They may be only marginally better, they should be better than the hybrids, -especially- when dual spec launches.

Really impossible to tell until people get to the point where they have the gear to test it. Even then, to really be certain the theorycrafters will have to crank out their sims and excel sheets.

Presumably though, I think it will likely be a class/spec that has no option to heal or tank, a pure DPS if you will. You never know though, which DPS has the highest top-end can vary based only on what gear they have available to them at end game. A really good weapon or trinket in the content tier can make the difference.

developers already said that hybrids and pures will have same dps so that theory is out the window

Edited by Doomsaga

developers already said that hybrids and pures will have same dps so that theory is out the window

They didn't actually say that. They said that a 5% difference in dps is small enough to be insignificant to this discussion, they didn't confirm if they kept the idea of pure dps doing about 5% more or not.

It's moot anyway, balancing is never precise enough to actually create such a slight advantage.

Gunslinger/Sniper has been quoted as having top single target DPS atm and from my experience over the past 5 months of Beta Testing I am inclined to believe it. We do indeed have a lot of heavy hitting abilities and at higher level the way our numerous abilities flow together is really quite nice.

To those who say we quickly deplete ourselves or energy all I can say is either your only experiencing lower lvl content or not knowing how to play the class. All 4 times I leveled a Gunslinger to 50 and while at lower levels you had less abilities to work with and such energy did indeed go a lot faster, at higher levels energy is not an issue at all as long as you know what your doing.

We don't have the numbers of course due to no combat log and such but running a vast number of hard modes and some ops in the last build I always found myself pulling threat if I didn't use my threat dump at the right time and then continuously everytime it came off of cd or the tank wasn't up to par.

Either way it'll be awhile before all the exact numbers from the theorycrafters and detailed testing come in so things could have easily changed or turn out differently now, only time will tell. Regardless I love the Gunslinger and would continue to play it even if it was the lowest dps because its simply that much fun :)