So, How Many Names Did You Lose?

Thaed

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a serious, non-troll question. The only name that was important to me was lost during my transfer. I don't really wish to name this character something else, because his name meant a lot to me (I kind of recreated a version of an original story character of mine into the Star Wars universe).

I also don't really want to stick an apostrophe or dash in his name; I've tried to see how it looks in different ways and it just seems weird that way, plus if I ever roleplay with him, everyone will write it with the apostrophe. I really kind of want to stick in an accent over one of the vowels (particularly an é) but I'm not sure how distasteful or irritating this would be to the community. Do you think it would be all right, or should I just suck it up and go for the apostrophe?

(PS, besides this issue, I'm immensely relieved and overjoyed to have had the privilege to transfer servers. Even losing the name was worth it.)

I have a serious, non-troll question. The only name that was important to me was lost during my transfer. I don't really wish to name this character something else, because his name meant a lot to me (I kind of recreated a version of an original story character of mine into the Star Wars universe).

I also don't really want to stick an apostrophe or dash in his name; I've tried to see how it looks in different ways and it just seems weird that way, plus if I ever roleplay with him, everyone will write it with the apostrophe. I really kind of want to stick in an accent over one of the vowels (particularly an é) but I'm not sure how distasteful or irritating this would be to the community. Do you think it would be all right, or should I just suck it up and go for the apostrophe?

(PS, besides this issue, I'm immensely relieved and overjoyed to have had the privilege to transfer servers. Even losing the name was worth it.)

You'll find some people that get up in arms over it, but I'd say they're in the minority. In terms of inviting you to a group, all they have to do is right click your name or portrait, so it's not a big deal to work around.

You'll find some people that get up in arms over it, but I'd say they're in the minority. In terms of inviting you to a group, all they have to do is right click your name or portrait, so it's not a big deal to work around.

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and gave him the accent. I hope it doesn't annoy people too much. :)

I lost 3 names yesterday, and i'm kinda bummed about it since they all were names i have been using for ages. Though obviously not original enough since they were all taken.

But oh well, life goes on. Just have to get attached to the new identities for my chars, shouldn't take that long really since i'm quite happy with all the replacement names i came up with

if I did that you might steal em... :p

coming up with original names isn't that hard I'm sure you can manage

Oh, I did. Apparently people came up with the same original names.

But, since you aren't providing any proof, I'm just going to have to assume yours aren't original and you got lucky.

It is kind of a **** to lose a name you've had because you've been playing since early access and that's why you were able to obtain it in the first place but because you picked a server doomed to fail u gotta change it. But honestly it's just a name and I'll gladly swap it if I don't play on a dead server anymore.

7/8. Legacy as well. I guess I fail at name originality and was lucky to get into early access and claim all the names. Was really hoping my server would be transferred TO.

Ah well, it'll probably only take all the time left on my sub to think of names to use now. :rolleyes:

Edited by pyrusx

I had to change all but one (including my legacy name) though it's not an issue for me. Stick with enough MMOs and it eventually becomes status quo. Maybe name changes can be added as account-based microtransactions? That might make it more palatable for some who felt rushed coming up with names during this transfer. At least buys them some time to put together a more appealing short list of more creative names they can try for. Edited by GalacticKegger

Got lucky and kept all character names as well as legacy. Only thing changed is guild name had to be adjusted slightly (Veritas to "order of Veritas)

Helps that these are all permutations from my usual character name (cyprian) that was taken in the last MMO I rolled, so both to make it easy for guidlies to identify alts and for my own touch they just became variations of that (Cyperian, Cyterian, Cyrellian, Cylerian, etc.)

Nice thing too is I have probably a dozen takes on it so if ever one did end up taken I have plenty of options.

Well I lost 1 so far and this was the one I dreaded losing.

I actually went ahead and created a toon with that name on all (!) English PVE servers the day they announced that transfers were coming in the future. All but one, where it was taken, and of course BioWare chose that one server as my destination.

The new name isn't half bad, but I had used my old name in all the MMOs I have played.

I had to change one of mine to lostname, because it's was the only thing that would work, I would of preferred crap but it was already taken. And it's not about having one that original it's about having one that doesn't sound like crap.

Think I'm going to hold off on transferring any more characters since I didn't see any warning about having to rename until I tried to log in my character after transfer. I want to transfer back, because it's not worth losing my names.