Confirmed: SWTOR to have micro-transactions/in-game purchases

ShiningKnights

It looks like SWTOR has lost quite a few subs that to make up for it, they announced at E3 they will have micro-transactions.

At Last, Free!

As anticipated, EA is opening up its portfolio for free gamers. According to a recent news feed from Reuters, EA is planning to offer at least 15 levels (from July) of its magnum opus, Star Wars: Old Republic for free to play. The company expects that this free offering will boost its dwindling subscriber base going forward. EA lost approximately 400K subscribers in the fiscal fourth quarter. EA expects to earn significant revenue from additional features and through micro-transactions by selling in-game based items.

Source:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ea-showcase-games-e3-143015708.html

Edited by ShiningKnights

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember them ever saying anything about micro-transactions or an in-game store. And this isn't going free to play more like a extended demo as you can play the full game until your character reaches lvl 15 at which point you have to pay the subscription fee to continue leveling your character. Edited by LukeSaberRattler

I don't remember them ever saying anything about micro-transactions or an in-game store. And this isn't going free to play more like a extended demo as you can play the full game until your character reaches lvl 15 at which point you have to pay the subscription fee to continue leveling your character.

I guess yahoo is lying then... some people are still delusional

Unsub now and it will be f2p in a few months or maybe weeks.

Edited by harry_kpotter

lol Free to Play all MMOs let you play a few lvls for free....... even wow

It's not the F2P to lvl 15 that bothers me. It's the idea of them selling items that can only be attainable buy forking over more cash-even if it is cosmetic. For instance, different color ligtsabers, pets, exclusive gear, mounts, etc... the list goes on.

Not too long ago, they were saying their subscription model works just fine...and now this.

It does work fine as long as people aren't stuck playing on dead servers for half a year. If they had gotten it together with the transfers in January, or god forbid launched with more reasonable population caps and 1/3 the shards, they never would have lost half the subscription base to begin with.

I would pay real money for things like species I want (Zeltron *cough*), really awesome looking speeders, social armors, ship paintjobs, etc.....I enjoy the game and don't really mind putting in a little extra money when I have it long as the price is reasonable. They would prob also make more money if they allowed things like character re customization (making ur male a female or vise versa and possibly just resetting companion affection levels) or paid server transfers later. Plenty of ways for this game to make money still =)

It's not the F2P to lvl 15 that bothers me. It's the idea of them selling items that can only be attainable buy forking over more cash-even if it is cosmetic. For instance, different color ligtsabers, pets, exclusive gear, mounts, etc... the list goes on.

This already exists in many MMO's, admittedly apart from WoW they all went F2P :)

Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

It begins with this.... :(

This is STO all over agian....

* Though F2P up to level 15, which this is old news now, isn't muc hto worry about. Once we see a store we are beat.

Edited by Eillack

Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

It begins with this.... :(

This is STO all over agian....

Not quite... I got suckered into a lifetime sub with that. But yeah, every time a new ship comes out you have to pay for it there.

Edited by Cordelia

Not too long ago, they were saying their subscription model works just fine...and now this.

I don't see what you are getting at. They will still have a subscription and optional MTs.

This is also not a BioWare/EA machination. MTs for fufu gear have been around in many games for a long time.

Edited by TheBBP

Oh nooooo

Micro transactions are a NO NO. Please dont put them in. I want to earn stuff instead of buy it with real money.

So you don't earn your real money? Where do you live - I may want to call the authorities.

I don't have a problem with micros as long as they aren't a pay to win model. I follow the belief that by giving players more options to play and acquire things in a game, then the better. That way, if I don't feel like raiding for two straight weeks in game to get a piece of gear, I can simply go to the store to buy it with the money I worked for during those two weeks in real life.

BJ

So you don't earn your real money? Where do you live - I may want to call the authorities.

I don't have a problem with micros as long as they aren't a pay to win model. I follow the belief that by giving players more options to play and acquire things in a game, then the better. That way, if I don't feel like raiding for two straight weeks in game to get a piece of gear, I can simply go to the store to buy it with the money I worked for during those two weeks in real life.

BJ

They won't sell raid gear. None of the MMOs that are f2p sell end game gear.

I'd like to see an actual source for the report of the microtransactions and in-game store before I believe it. There aren't any citations of where they get this information that I can see. I'm not very inclined to trust "Yahoo! Finance" for game announcements.

Edit: Not that I'd put it past EA, but I'd like to see some proof before we talk like it's a fact.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I'd like to see an actual source for the report of the microtransactions and in-game store before I believe it. There aren't any citations of where they get this information that I can see. I'm not very inclined to trust "Yahoo! Finance" for game announcements.

Edit: Not that I'd put it past EA, but I'd like to see some proof before we talk like it's a fact.

What do you mean you do not trust yahoo finance? EA told them this in order to get them to recommend the stock. If you dont trust them you wont trust any source. They are quoting a release from EA which was handed to them at E3.