Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

Its not what they communicate its how. They only give just enough info for people to draw thier own conclusions. When they give any at all. Or either they give some info then do things in a diffrent manor than they said. And want to say its the players fault for drawing conclusions.

Where heres the thing maybe if they actualy gave a laid out plan or description to what thier plan is. It would leave alot less room for speculation. And disapointment. Sure some would cry anyways but the majority would take it for what it is and either wait or move on.

Go read the community blog about transfers again (or for the first time) It was posted back on the 6th and lines out how the process was going to go. And they have not deviated from it yet.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seriously missed my point. I too am on a low pop server. Why are they monitoring rated WZs instead of finishing what they started?

I don't believe they're monitoring rated WZ's at all, that's something the dev team assigned to delivering 1.3 is doing. What they're monitoring is server populations over the weekend to allow them a chance to see what the effects of having the weekend players show up and get their transfers on the go, so they can see whether or not it's viable to put us into one of the destination servers that already opened up, or if it's full enough that they can move the rest of us into a half-full new destination server to fill that one up.

So the 1.3 update with all that cool stuff you'd be willing to wait after everyone gets it despite paying the same amount as everyone else.

Did it many times with major content patches in WoW in the vanilla/BC days. Patch day would come and something like 70-90% of servers would come back up after maintenance, but the rest stayed down, sometimes for 6+ more hours, in one case a day and a half.

As simply as possible ...

1. They're trying to make the destination servers as full as possible

2. A *lot* more people will be transferring over the weekend, because they only play on the weekend.

3. They didn't transfer many low-pop servers because it's easier to "top off" a server with low-pop servers.

4. They can't do this topping off until they see just how many people will actually transfer this weekend.

It's not about fairness, it's about achieving the best long-term results for the game.

It might also be about faction balance, though that's only my hope.

And yet at the same time all the snowflakes in this thread say "BW should tell us all their plans, even if it ends up changing later, at least give us an idea!" Well, they did just that, and when something changes, people flip out and call them liars.

It is not just that he lied, it is how dismissive he is when it was pointed out. It could have been fixed with soemthing like.... "I understand that yesterday I said there would be more servers opened for transfers. At the time I made that statment we had every intention of having more transfers, but due to the higher than atipciapted activity since I made that statement we will be unable to open up more servers until Monday. I am sorry for making a statemnt that turned out to not be true, even though I believed it to be true at the time it was said."

At least then I would have some respect. When people see that they have made mistakes and appologize for them, they do not often repeat those mistakes. This would lead to more clarity in future posts and an increase in trust, because you would know that you would be dealing with someone who holds themselves accountable. Instead he shrugged it off seeming to pretend that we all did not understand what he meant when he said "You will see us opening more up tomorrow and into next week."

Edited by HelinCarnate

Not hardly. Last year my roommate did my taxes for me. She sent in hers and mine on the same day, same time, both by mail. She got her refund check a week before me.

Yeah, I sent mine in after some people and got them weeks before. Taxes are very unpredictable :D

It is not just that he lied, it is how dismissive he is when it was pointed out. It could have been fixed with soemthing like.... "I understand that yesterday I said there would be more servers opened for transfers. At the time I made that statment we had every intention of having more transfers, but due to the higher than atipciapted activity since I made that statement we will be unable to open up more servers until Monday. I am sorry for making a statemnt that turned out to not be true, even though I believed it to be true at the time it was said."

At least then I would have some respect. When people see that they have made mistakes and appologize for them, they do not often repeat those mistakes. This would lead to more clarity in future posts and an increase in trust, because you would know that you would be dealing with someone who holds themselves accountable. Instead he shrugged it off seeming to pretend that we all did not understand what he meant when he said "You will see us opening more up tomorrow and into next week."

So you value form over substance.. they could do anything, keep you waiting for a month as long as they were apologetic and accountable?

I really hope they do not push 1.3 live this week without completing the rest of the transfers. If they do this, I already know a handful of people that will be leaving the game until they get their acts together. It will be extremely foolish to push that update live before the completion of one project.

1. They're trying to make the destination servers as full as possible

Why? Their stated goal was to make several servers with healthy populations? Is a full server a healthy one? I don't think so since that makes for a queue and doesn't allow any head room for new players or returnees. They could have left themselves enough room to either fit the remainder in or make more healthy servers.

Think I'd rather unsubscribe than leave friends behind who could miss out on the transfers.

Why would you think your friends will miss out on the transfers? Bioware already said they will leave the free transfers open until they are satisfied with the results. They also said they will give players "plenty of advanced notice" for when free transfers will end, which could conceivably be weeks or months.

Players eligible for xfer get email notifications. Do your friends go weeks and months without checking email? If they are truly your friends, do you not have alternative methods to contact them? How do you know they haven't already transferred? And as for not wanting to change names, well, if this was launch day and your preferred name wasn't available, what would you do then? Not play? No. You'd come up with something else. So why not do that now?

Forgive me for busting your chops a little (no offense intended), but do you not see the irony here? You are griping about being on a low-pop server with "friends" who are not actively playing with you. Yet you have the chance to move to a new server, invite your current friends to join you, make new friends, and be part of a reinvigorated playerbase... and you're scoffing at the offer. :confused:

Sorry guys if this has been answered but does anyone know if they have hinted at releasing anymore servers today ?

No More servers untill maybe next week. But dont expect them to do something before mid-late week.

Why? Their stated goal was to make several servers with healthy populations? Is a full server a healthy one? I don't think so since that makes for a queue and doesn't allow any head room for new players or returnees. They could have left themselves enough room to either fit the remainder in or make more healthy servers.

Every MMO developer has endless metric data showing active/inactive subs, player trends, peak server load times, etc. etc. They can track this stuff down to the nanosecond, for each character, across an array of variables so wide it would make a protocol droid blush. They also have the ability to throttle up the max population of a server to alleviate queues. So "full server" is a relative term.

I think the poster you were responding to actually hit the nail on the head. The community is obviously very passionate about wanting the game to be awesome, but so is Bioware. Their livelihood and reputation depend on it. They can't please everyone, but they have the tools, systems, and data in place to improve SWTOR for the majority. Now that they're doing that, it's up to us to be patient and let them work. If they rush it, or open the floodgates, it'll just introduce new problems.

I really hope they do not push 1.3 live this week without completing the rest of the transfers. If they do this, I already know a handful of people that will be leaving the game until they get their acts together. It will be extremely foolish to push that update live before the completion of one project.

Not sure if you're trolling :p but... why would anyone think BW is pushing 1.3 live next week? Bioware already stated the whole point of opening up server transfers ahead of 1.3 was to stabilize the communities before the release of the "Allies" patch.

If you haven't done so yet, check out the PTS. The 1.3 patch is nowhere near ready, but it's a big improvement for the game. The LFG tool works great. And there's a 2-day Ranked Warzone event test this weekend. Should be fun.

Edited by Sylin

Not sure if you're trolling :p but... why would anyone think BW is pushing 1.3 live next week? Bioware already stated the whole point of opening up server transfers ahead of 1.3 was to stabilize the communities before the release of the "Allies" patch.

If you haven't done so yet, check out the PTS. The 1.3 patch is nowhere near ready, but it's a big improvement for the game. The LFG tool works great. And there's a 2-day Ranked Warzone event test this weekend. Should be fun.

This pretty much blows. It's clear the ramming all the euro servers into 1 of each type by then thoses who have not got there transfers will lose out on their names and legacy

This pretty much blows. It's clear the ramming all the euro servers into 1 of each type by then thoses who have not got there transfers will lose out on their names and legacy

Frankly my problem with the transfers is not the possibility that I may have to change my chars name or legacy. My problem, like that of some others, is that after launch my friends and me decided to make republic on one server and empire in the other. The mains are empire. This so each side could have all crafts, because before legacy as far as we knew we could not mail republic alts, like we can today.

My republic server is available for transfer, but I cant do that before I know what destination server my empire chars will have. Aparently it might be the same, and I cant be filling those 8 slots with lowbies when I may need them for my max levels.

Since my server is dead for over a month I have also been playing another mmo. My free month ends on the 18th. And I would prefer not to use the gamecard I was offered on my birthday before 1.3 hits. So I havent played swtor for over a month, and its not because I dont like it. This, along with the stupid maintenance times and other stuff that makes me feel european are second class customers may end up making me change my mind about remaining here without my friends, or simply moving along with them.

I wish SWG had this story and voice over quests (wich it didnt have at all, just mission terminal that said: go destroy a pikets lair to make a little girl happy, or similar), and that swtor had its graphics, open world, 3D space combat with fully customisable ships, housing and crafting system.

Having to choose at this late stage if i keep my lowbies or mains is not really aceptable, my 2 factions need to fit in to 2 servers, now or later.

I am a die hard fan of Bioware, but even I have my limits.

So you value form over substance.. they could do anything, keep you waiting for a month as long as they were apologetic and accountable?

No, I value accountability over arrogance. While it would be unlikely for BW to be able to talk their way into keeping me or most anyone else around for another month without action, a truthfull appology along with an explination would keep some of us around for a few more days.

I predict the following for next week:

- The remaining US East PVP servers will get merged into the current destination servers.

Creating a third PVP server just for those two would be stupid since it would not create a healthy server population.

- The remaining EU En PVE servers will get merged into the new destination server Dune Bantha.

Merging 10 more servers into the current EU En PVE server would over pupulate that server.

- The remaining EU Ger PVE servers will get merged into a new destination server.

Again the current destination server will be over populated with 8 more servers added to it.

This leaves 10 servers in limbo. The three EU RP-PVP servers and 7 US West PVE servers.

I don't really see a solution for the EU RP-PVP servers right now except mergen three different languages into one and i am not sure if that is really what people or BW want.

The remaining US WEST PVE servers will either be merged into existing destination servers or if they can create a heatly population by themselfs be merged intio a new destination servers.

With that all said why was this not done on friday? It is gonna happen this way. Or am i totally wrong ?

Edited by Thyferra

- The remaining US East PVP servers will get merged into the current destination servers.

Creating a third PVP server just for those two would be stupid since it would not create a healthy server population.

- The remaining EU En PVE servers will get merged into the new destination server Dune Bantha.

Merging 10 more servers into the current EU En PVE server would over pupulate that server.

- The remaining EU Ger PVE servers will get merged into a new destination server.

Again the current destination server will be over populated with 8 more servers added to it.

This leaves 10 servers in limbo. The three EU RP-PVP servers and 7 US West PVE servers.

I don't really see a solution for the EU RP-PVP servers right now except mergen three different languages into one and i am not sure if that is really what people or BW want.

The remaining US WEST PVE servers will either be merged into existing destination servers or if they can create a heatly population by themselfs be merged intio a new destination servers.

With that all said why was this not done on friday? It is gonna happen this way. Or am i totally wrong ?

You are right imho. Don't see why US east coast pvp,EU english pve and EU German pve were left in limbo.

This will not happen, because the they could have done this allready. Or at least they could start with 2-3 servers and monitored that this weekend. They didnt. They have absolutly no excuse for not doing that on Friday. Their excuse was that they are monitoring existing transfer. And existing transfer will not reflect opening a NEW destination server. Becuase that will be a whole other ball game with different users.

So my guess is that they are moving all servers to Red Eclipse. They need to see the weekend transfers and they need to see how the population lowers in the beginning of next week. Why else would they wait an risk loosing customers ?

Well if they are fine with having ques all weekend and lose subs that way then sure they will just move everyone to red eclipse.

Dune Bantha is already a standard size server. Red Eclipse is a heavy size server. Those two together would be very heavy and now add 9 more light servers to that. It will result in a full server and that is something they should try to avoid. Its better to have two heavy servers than one full.

And i agree with you. They could have done this already. It is something i do not understand either.

Edited by Thyferra

I have my Republic chars on The Red Eclypse and the Empire ones on Luka Sene... I have seen during all the week how all the servers PVE selected to transfer have the destination of Red Eclypse. It will be like a kick in the balls if now I have the bad luck to see how, if Bioware selects Luka Sene, they will change the destination server... >.<

I hope that won't happen :S

You forgot the main thing!

Half of the week they will do "monitor populations and rate of transfers", and only after that... :p

Greetings everyone!

We recently removed several posts from this thread for not being in compliance with our Rules of Conduct.

While we do welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, we ask that your feedback is constructive. For better understanding on helpful feedback, please refer to this thread by Allison Berryman.

As a reminder, please keep the following in mind when replying:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please report it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the report function to report their post.

7. Please note that we remove replies to moderated posts that we have removed.

We encourage you to please be constructive and civil in your posts.

Thank you!