Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

To the contrary, we can expect a great deal. And we can temper those expectations realistically by observing the sort of information given on other topics since launch. And, having done so, I think we can be justly aggrieved that this topic particularly has been singled out to be deliberately ignored.

I would love to be able to place the responsibility for this decision squarely where it is deserved. But, like the spineless, cowardly bigots they are, those responsible for the gag order on this content are hiding behind the crap-catchers on the Community Team.

They could easily have acted to prevent so negative a response by giving us some advanced warning as to the limitations of the feature, so that we could make informed adjustment to our expectations in advance, as they do all the time with other anticipated content.

As for your personal concerns, as I have said before, you may be happier playing some other game produced by a less progressive studio. I understand NeoPets has no romantic content at all.

Less prograssive studio lol how cute of you. This is my only MMO, I hate WoW so I mostly play sports games so yea I guess they are less progressive since they dont have any type of romances at all.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less prograssive studio lol how cute of you. This is my only MMO, I hate WoW so I mostly play sports games so yea I guess they are less progressive since they dont have any type of romances at all.

Sports games don't have any story beyond "beat this team, beat that team, win a shiny", do they? There's very little comparison between a sports strategy game and an RPG, though it is well known that many mainstream ports are still bastions of racism, homophobia and misogyny.

They already know our concerns, and they can't say anything.

Incorrect. They are intelligent, articulate people, and can say anything they like. I arrive at this conclusion from what they do say. Short of some sort of "who wrote Shakespeare's plays?" conspiracy that they aren't the ones posting what they do post, I don't see any way to contradict that. Clearly they can. My question then is (and has been) why won't they?

Also, what basis do we have for supposing that they do in fact know our concerns? Broadly, we can say they know there is interest in same-gender content. But specifically, when have they spoken to particular concerns?

I can think of only two points raised in the ten months of this thread, both answered elsewhere, eight months ago, by former lead writer Daniel Ericson: 1.) romance arcs will not be current romances simply changed for gender and 2.) as a ballpark figure, we can expect to see this content this year.

Nether of those points were brought to us by the Community Team, which has never offered any reply to this thread other than "Yeah, we're reading it. Nothing to tell you". That gives us no evidence to support claims that they do in fact stay abreast of specific concerns. It specifically avoids doing so.

To add to that I played SWG where I met my husband and I loved that game. Snipe at me all you want, I could care less, your desire for game content is no more important to then anyone else's. What is important is what the development team deems important and so far yours seems to be down their list.

Sports games don't have any story beyond "beat this team, beat that team, win a shiny", do they? There's very little comparison between a sports strategy game and an RPG, though it is well known that many mainstream ports are still bastions of racism, homophobia and misogyny.

I take it you hate sports too, oh well. That is the point of playing sports games, no real life intruding, just beat the teams and win trophies. Now with SWG there was at least a way to create your own story in a way which I enjoyed. I play video games to blow off steam and take a break from the mundane real world thus not wanting the real world to intrude in my game, yea sorry that is what I want in my game. I am not really thrilled with romances as they are anyway for the ogr companions. Your group is not special.

Considering that I have sent numerous messages to Ms. Berryman and Mr. Gonzalez, pulling out key points from this thread and questions raised in it, and have received little more than a "shut up, we're 'listening', now leave me alone", it seems to me that they do not want to address the subject or the persons who want the content, regardless of any draconian gag order.

Mr. Hood's interview further confirms that Bioware do not want to admit that they promised this content or that they have worked on it - or not worked on it. As Uluain said, if SGRA's get mentioned by Bioware prior to patch notes, I'll fall down dead in surprise. They seem to want to distance themselves from any idea of LGBT-positiveness with this game. They likely have been scared by the "anti" crowd threatening to end their subscriptions.

I take it you hate sports too, oh well. ... I am not really thrilled with romances as they are anyway for the ogr companions. Your group is not special.

Don't hate sports - I hate the people who use the fame it garners them to act like the scum of the earth. Minor difference.

We aren't asking for any preferential treatment - only what's been given to other groups: interaction. We don't want to put this over critical bug fixes, but you do realise that PvE and PvP have had many actual updates since release, both in formal content and community interaction. This thread, the community surrounding it, have had none. We are "special" in as much as people go out of their way to attack us, put us down and harass us. Bioware has made us "special" by refusing to engage with us. It is not a good type of "special". I would prefer not to be this type of "special". Same-sex content is not "special" it should be treated like all other content in the game: it should be put in, maintained and addressed with the same level of commitment as all other content. Asking to be treated equally is not the same as being "special".

It wouldn't hurt to pose some questions in the Hall Hood thread. They did a follow-up q&a with Jesse Sky last time. Not that I expect much, but maybe if it's cleverly worded enough he'll give a better response than what's been given.

Hahaha. Alright, I'll give it a shot. I'll dig up Uluain's list and just post it. **** it - at this point, what's the worst that can happen? We get ignored again? Oh noes.

Questions for Mr. Hood, as he is the lead writer and, I should hope, would understand why these questions might need to be addressed. In case anyone is unaware, the questions below were originally posed by Uluain in the Same Gender Relationships Clarifications? thread and haven't yet been acknowledged in any capacity. We do not feel that any of these questions pose any problems with spoilers, as they are fairly general. We only want them answered so that people waiting for this content can make informed decisions about the class(es) they want to play.

• Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance?
  • If so, which?
  • If current companions are made available, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?
  • Will there be same-gender romances available to all classes and all genders?
  • If so, how many?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5356495&postcount=13

Give me a time-frame for that being deleted. I say an hour. Bets?

Yeah, what could it hurt, at least it's related to writing....better than the people complaining in the thread about graphical bugs.

But sometimes run on sentences contain semi-colons! That makes it close to programming.

Edit: They deleted my FIRST post D:< That's just mean!

Edit to preserve:

I am surprised that nothing was said about the SWTOR Encyclopedia, given Hall's involvement, relevance to story in general and its high production value. I do recommend it very highly to anyone with a passion for the lore behind the stories.

I am very disappointed although not at all surprised that Hall was not provided an opportunity to discuss future romantic story content, given his clear interest in and enjoyment of its development.

The continual lack of any mention of pending same-gender romantic arcs has gone beyond frustrating and into the realm of insulting and dismissive, and I wish to voice my deepest contempt for those responsible for such a cowardly an bigotted curtailment on what is permitted to be said on this subject.

Edit:

So.

Mr. Hood.

I have exactly one question for you.

WHEN is same gender romantic content coming? WHEN are we getting the option to play characters who are not straight? WHEN? WHEN?

Your ancient press releases claim it will be a post launch feature. Your ancient forum posts claimed "next year" meaning 2012, meaning this year, meaning YOU HAVE TWO MONTHS LEFT.

Two months left.

And we have not heard ONE WORD.

All we get is the same runaround from everyone. "Hello yes, we are totally aware of your concerns, we have no new information, now shut up and get back to your gay ghetto thread."

Are we getting same gender content with the Makeb update? Are we getting same gender content with current companions, or are new ones being added?

Are only certain classes getting them? Or what? You have provided absolutely NO information. And here I thought Bioware wasn't a homophobic company. Guess I was wrong.

Every single other Bioware game contains MULTIPLE same gender romances. WHAT is the hold up?

I would dearly like to play the game you wrote, Mr. Hood. I would love to play that Jedi Knight story you are so fond of.

But I can't.

Do you know why?

I don't want to play a male jedi knight. I want to play a female jedi knight. Doc is quite possibly the most boring, sexist male I have ever come across. He talked about my breasts within SEVEN SECONDS of meeting him. So I would like to romance the other option, Kira.

But I can't. Your homophobic company has decided to deny me that for no reason whatsoever.

So. Take this specific example. Is Kira going to be a gay option? Or is a new companion going to be added? I cannot play a Jedi Knight until this question has been answered.

I have not played a smuggler for the same reason. Do you like having all of your stories utterly ignored? No?

THEN ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS.

This also deserves preservation in this thread.

Why am I copy-pasting them here? Because Bioware doesn't read this thread. These posts are safe here, in the gay ghetto.

Edit:

Same Gender Relationships, when, who, how?

its time to answer now mate, been waiting a pretty long time...

Number four! :D

Maybe they'll pay attention this time!

Maybe it'll rain chocolates and money!

Edited by Tatile

It wouldn't hurt to pose some questions in the Hall Hood thread. They did a follow-up q&a with Jesse Sky last time. Not that I expect much, but maybe if it's cleverly worded enough he'll give a better response than what's been given.

Well, I don't think he needs to be asked. I mean, given the chance I do believe he would jump on it without needing the prompt from a player. But if there is a follow-up Q&A, at the very least it offers an opportunity to confirm the complaint I make in my reply when the question is ignored.

Well, I don't think he needs to be asked. I mean, given the chance I do believe he would jump on it without needing the prompt from a player. But if there is a follow-up Q&A, at the very least it offers an opportunity to confirm the complaint I make in my reply when the question is ignored.

All four of our questions, now, actually. Ignoring one person might have been a case of "choosing interesting questions", but ignoring four when they currently make the majority of questioners? That would be blatant discrimination on Bioware's part. **** the detractors when they swarm on the topic - it's story content, damn it, and Mr. Hood had a hand in it. He'd know.

They've entered Mr. Hood's Q&A. This is going to be fun :/ I suppose it's going to be the only developer blog which wont' have a Q&A attached.

*sigh*

This is why we can't have nice things.

If nothing else, the anti-gay-content crowd is very good at making me wonder if I should even bother when Bioware doesn't care enough to back up their own announcements. When the 1st of January 2013 hits all the homophobes will be jumping up and down in their chairs, cheering at the battle they won to prevent this content from coming into the game. Good job Bioware *claps* Well done, really.

Edited by Tatile

Two, actually. Three if you count Uluain's rant. They probably considered my post flame bait. I'll be reposting it, as it's not.

they only deleted MY post. ****'s sake why? Why was that post so much more flame-baiting than the rest? It's a list of questions we've been asking here for ages, what the **** is so wrong with posting it over there? They keep deleting it, I'll keep re-posting it.

• Will any current companions be available for same-gender romance?
  • If so, which?
  • If current companions are made available, will the new romantic content be available to players who have already completed existing story content with their companions without needing to roll a new character?
  • Will same-gender content require and additional purchase, such as a legacy unlock, in-game credit expense or real-world currency through the Cartel shop?
  • Will we ever see same-gender content beyond companion characters as [Flirt] prompts with various world or class story mission NPCs, such as currently exist as opposite-gender options?
  • Will there be same-gender romances available to all classes and all genders?
  • If so, how many?

If you consider my posts requesting information to be flame-bait, please tell me how they are so, so that I can adjust them to fit your guidelines.

Such an evil post. You can feel the evil rolling off it. How dare I request information from the correct sources. HOW DARE I.

Edited by Tatile

I'm actually surprised yours was removed but the other long one wasn't....maybe you really are getting on someone's poop list :D

Going to keep posting, don't care anymore. If they don't like me, at least have the decency to say so.

Well, they already are cleaning up the thread. ;) At least they did leave ONE SGR question in the thread though.

Edit: two actually, Uluain's commentary.

Edit 3 OK 3 I guess, lol

My comments survived a clean up? I'm surprised. I was pretty nasty about it, if also completely sincere.

My comments survived a clean up? I'm surprised. I was pretty nasty about it, if also completely sincere.

They only deleted mine because I said their deletion of my post was unnecessary. I don't even know why they deleted that first one. Reposted your list though. I'll keep reposting if they remove it.

Well, since the whole Disney buyout had come up, I put the question from the FAQ about Disney's stance. Suddenly, it's an agenda and against the rules. I know it's been reported by two people at this point.

You guys think it'll be yanked? I tried to give links and examples of Disney's stance, but I don't feel I was out of line. Nor do I feel that it didn't have relevance either.

I've started thanking the trolls for keeping that thread nicely on the front page.

"The best way to defeat your enemies is to confuse them."

Edited by natashina