Dread Masters, horrible change (graphics)

Tigalo

I like the new helmets. I just hope they will reskin their entire outfit. The old outfits went with the helms better and while the whole red and gold color scheme between the helmet and robes flows nicely, it currently looks to "segmented" as a reskin. The Dreadmasters (like Malgus) should have a nearly 100% unique aesthetic to them that no one could look like in-game. I say the artists go to the drawing board with their actual outfits to make something really twisted and destructive like a ribcage-like robe and a bit more complexity that would make them stand out.

I totally agree with that sentiment. Between the movies, the clone wars, and the 60 or so extended universe books I own, this game is turning Star Wars way too much towards swords and sorcery. That is not what Star Wars is about.

I liked the "new" masks. It was the first time I'd ever seen them.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that they blinked and the mouths moved. That was just... really creepy.

Edited by irishfino

They look fine to me. I would rather talk about what BW will do in the future with these guys. they have massive power would love them to try and destroy the emperor or something and have you involved in it.

Maybe have them flee to dathomir and start an enclave or something.

Funny you should say that because the reason given for why they changed them is that the masks they had were identical to some PVP helmets. ;)

The new ones look like something out of a Mexican festival, though.

Yeah, I'm glad I saw the original masks when they were live. The Dread Masters looked FAR cooler and more sinister than they do now. I was surprised on one of my subsequent playthroughs to notice they changed the armor. Since the reasoning they gave was poor, I'm surprised they changed the armor at all. The newer armor is weak looking.

Edited by InnerPieces

Adding? My example was of how it USED to be (at least it was in the beta build I played last summer), not something I would like added.

And, btw, if you cant comprehend how going from beeing able choose to improve your blaster attacks, tech attacks or healing based on your stats, to just stack as much of your main stat as possible, is not dumbing down the game, then I am not sure if it might even be possible for me to discuss RPG mechanics with you.

(and yes, balancing your stats, as well as balancing classes would be much harder).

and for your building things analogy, your just wrong. If that was the case we would all live in square houses and drive cars with no extra items beside the engine and wheels.

Nope. But if you want to deny basic engineering be my guest. Never mind the fact that you don't know the difference between that and aesthetics.

Back to the main point, what you want doesn't add anything to the gameplay. You could literally add 20 new stats and within weeks there will be one or two variations of the same gear as players discover the cookie cutter builds that provide maximum dps or healing.

Or to put it another way, say you have fifty light switches on your wall. They operate a 70 watt bulb.

One switch works and turns the light on at max wattage.

The other 49 also work, but each individual switch gives you somewhere between 1-5 watts. You have to flip several to reach 70.

Now in theory you have plenty of choices. Plenty of little switches to play with in reaching the goal of turning on the light. But does this choice actually matter?

In game terms, who cares how many stats you have to play with when there will always be one best way to achieve the one and only goal of maxing dps or healing?

Nope. But if you want to deny basic engineering be my guest. Never mind the fact that you don't know the difference between that and aesthetics.

Back to the main point, what you want doesn't add anything to the gameplay. You could literally add 20 new stats and within weeks there will be one or two variations of the same gear as players discover the cookie cutter builds that provide maximum dps or healing.

Or to put it another way, say you have fifty light switches on your wall. They operate a 70 watt bulb.

The other 49 also work, but each individual switch gives you somewhere between 1-5 watts. You have to flip several to reach 70.

Now in theory you have plenty of choices. Plenty of little switches to play with in reaching the goal of turning on the light. But does this choice actually matter?

In game terms, who cares how many stats you have to play with when there will always be one best way to achieve the one and only goal of maxing dps or healing?

When did I ever say I want that?

To implement that now would be horrible. I just used it as an example of how the game was more complex before. And, if it had always been that way, no one would be complaining, as that was how it was supposed to be. To say that I liked it better before, does not equal that I want it changed to that now.

Do I wish they never changed it: Yes.

Do I want it now: No.

Do I understand why they did it? Yes.

Do I understand why they removed the option to mod every item in the game? Yes.

Did I like it? No.

That's nice and all but it's quite a narrow view.

Encounters aren't designers with max performance in mind. Having more than one good enough builds is more interesting for players.

Maxing dps in theory is nice too but encounters are situational and the theorical best dps may do only average dps in some of them.

Encounters and groupd mechanics may lead to maxing dps as the best solution but it's a design choice, not a rule. If you don't survive because your health is too low in some encounters, getting more HP in exchange of a lower DPS is better.

As for your analogy, I could just add that based on which switches are on, the color light changes and then you have a reason for the people interested to switch on the little ones instead of the big one.

Dunno, with your POV, it seems more than one stat is unnecessary, why have our main stat + power + alacrity + crit + expertise..., when there could be one stat that could cover everything ?

The reason is simple, it's choice. I'm a healer, I hate crit. Theorically I would do more healing by having better crit. I chose to not follow the "best" way because I prefer it that way and I'm still able to heal what I have to.

Having more stats to choose between enabled me to play my way, some more stats may let me to specialize even more for my playstyle.

Yea I just did the Dread master quest on my Marauder the other day. Remember they used to use the PvP gear graphics and looked really cool. Now they look like they raided Lady Gaga's wardrobe and found some stocking masks. Was like *** are they wearing....ummm excuse me can I put these fools back in stasis they are an embarrassment to the Empire...call the fashion police!

I like the change. They look more unique now. The original masks looked the same as some PvP items.

I do too. Makes them look more evil IMO. I wish to save the galaxy from them now. LET'S DO THIS!

Why why why?

Edit: could BW please sponsor a conference or something were all the artist and graphic desingers are required to see all the movies (including cartoons), read all the comics and books (including RPG material), Maybe then we might, just might get a bit more SW feel into the visual gear? (tbh, thats not required, as there are lots and lots of good SW armors in the game, all they need to do is tone down some of the creativity some artist clearly feel is "required" to be an artist. )

Read all of the books? At one conference? You do realize there are over two hundred SW novels at this point, averaging 400 pages each? Furthermore, there have been *three* separate RPG versions, each with 10-20 sourcebooks? Before you even get into comics, you're talking about 6 months straight of reading here for an average reader.

Where do I sign up to be employed to do that? :)

I liked the "new" masks. It was the first time I'd ever seen them.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that they blinked and the mouths moved. That was just... really creepy.

I agree and I actually prefer them to the old, but I like how they creepily moved. Like they're straight out of a nightmare.

Read all of the books? At one conference? You do realize there are over two hundred SW novels at this point, averaging 400 pages each? Furthermore, there have been *three* separate RPG versions, each with 10-20 sourcebooks? Before you even get into comics, you're talking about 6 months straight of reading here for an average reader.

Where do I sign up to be employed to do that? :)

Exaggerating to make a point is clearly not the way to communicate on the internet, as my main point was just to limit the "creativity" of the artists and make it more like Star Wars and less like LOTR/WOW.

Those winged golden helmet does fit those games better after all.