Player capl Increase

BlueyedJedi

Hello,

I may be the minority on this but I hope that bioware doesnt go crazy with the level increases, That was one of the things that drove me crazy in wow. I dont get to play all day everyday so it takes me awhile to level my character.

I just made it to 50 and started the long boring gearing process, now just like in wow your going to increase the level cap which makes everything ive done a waste. Now I have to spend more time leveling myself all over. And when I do that Im sure your going to increase the cap again on me.

Please pick a levelcap and stick with it, or Im going to be a day late and a dollar short all over again. :(

The nature of an MMORPG is progression, whether it's via levels, gear, or some alternative advancement.

While I sympathize with your desire to reach the level cap and gear up, the plain truth is that, without adding a few extra levels, character progression would become stale and repetitive.

You'd hit the max level, gear up through a few Flashpoints of Warzones before entering Operations, and then progress through the Ops in the order they're intended, until you capped out your gear that way.

If the level cap didn't increase, all new Ops would be released at level 50. Without a dedicated guild to outright carry you through the most recent Op for the top-tier gear, you'd have to crawl through each and every one along the way, gearing up until you were ready for the next -- at which point you repeat the process.

Let's look a year or so down the line. You'd be sitting at level 50 with a dozen or so Ops available. Most of them wouldn't be of any use to you, but you'd need to run newcomers through for lower-grade gear in order to improve your own equipment when you eventually pull together a group for the newer Ops. It becomes tiresome, at best. Eventually you need to place a gap between the low-tier new content and the top-tier old content to give players that "spark" back that they felt when leveling and acquiring new gear at a fair pace.

Let's look a year or so down the line. You'd be sitting at level 50 with a dozen or so Ops available. Most of them wouldn't be of any use to you, but you'd need to run newcomers through for lower-grade gear in order to improve your own equipment when you eventually pull together a group for the newer Ops. It becomes tiresome, at best. Eventually you need to place a gap between the low-tier new content and the top-tier old content to give players that "spark" back that they felt when leveling and acquiring new gear at a fair pace.

You are making A LOT of assumptions.

You ASSUME that there will not be new, more difficult quests with new, better gear available.

You ASSUME that we will only have a handful of new Ops and FPs at the same difficulty setting we have now.

Raising level caps is a just a shiny bobble given to players to keep them so preoccupied with the grind they don't notice the lack of real content. It's not a 'spark' .. it's a pacifier.

Instead of plugging in another 10 levels of absent minded grinding (which let's face it .. the 'hardcore-ers' will have completed in a week if not in a few days), more emphasis should be given to story and quest lines and ACTUAL content.

Edited by KrelosDarksky

the cap raise wont be much Im sure: we get 1 new world, so it will have at most a cap range of no more than 5 I'm sure. I don't see them really aiming to alter their system of doing things too much at this point, so with the new planet expect it to more or less play like every other planet we have: Class quest-planetary story quests...and pretty positive HK falls into that typical pattern.

so I doubt you have to worry about a big jump this time, or any rapid cap raises any time soon.

Hello,

I may be the minority on this but I hope that bioware doesnt go crazy with the level increases, That was one of the things that drove me crazy in wow. I dont get to play all day everyday so it takes me awhile to level my character.

I just made it to 50 and started the long boring gearing process, now just like in wow your going to increase the level cap which makes everything ive done a waste. Now I have to spend more time leveling myself all over. And when I do that Im sure your going to increase the cap again on me.

Please pick a levelcap and stick with it, or Im going to be a day late and a dollar short all over again. :(

So, you complain that the level 50 gearing process is long and boring, but don't want to level either? What exactly do you want in a game, if pre-endgame is boring, and endgame is boring?

That aside, it's probably only going to be 5 levels, and likely a very small stat difference as well, so as to not make current content completely irrelevant.

Edited by Daeada

IMHO, This raising of the level cap is going to be more harmful than helpful. All it adds to the game is ANOTHER GRIND! I have no doubt that no one who un-subbed is going to re-sub just to experience another grind. And I also have no doubt that many players who're presently subbed will un-sub because they dont want to go through ANOTHER GRIND to replace the gear that's going become obsolete because of this raise in level cap. I damn sure aint going to.

Bio, you want to entice players to stay and come back. Introducing a new grind aint going to do that. Dark age of Camelot ran very well for a long time with added content and NEVER raised the level cap. So why cant Bio do the same?

Edited by ReddNekk

IMHO, This raising of the level cap is going to be more harmful than helpful. All it adds to the game is ANOTHER GRIND! I have no doubt that no one who un-subbed is going to re-sub just to experience another grind. And I also have no doubt that many players who're presently subbed will un-sub because they dont want to go through ANOTHER GRIND to replace the gear that's going become obsolete because of this raise in level cap. I damn sure aint going to.

Bio, you want to entice players to stay and come back. Introducing a new grind aint going to do that. Dark age of Camelot ran very well for a long time with added content and NEVER raised the level cap. So why cant Bio do the same?

It adds a grind with reward. If they just keep adding content, it's just added grind or alternative grind and no real reward.

Also, are you still playing DAoC?

Edited by monkgryphon

I'm not a huge fan of frequent level cap increases either. The more often they happen the harder they are on the more casual players because it resets them to zero, and it feels crappy to high end players, because it resets them to zero.

Also, it tends to lead to massive gear inflation and ability bloat. I'd rather have interesting stories to consume my time instead of new level grinds.

The nature of an MMORPG is progression, whether it's via levels, gear, or some alternative advancement.

While I sympathize with your desire to reach the level cap and gear up, the plain truth is that, without adding a few extra levels, character progression would become stale and repetitive.

You'd hit the max level, gear up through a few Flashpoints of Warzones before entering Operations, and then progress through the Ops in the order they're intended, until you capped out your gear that way.

If the level cap didn't increase, all new Ops would be released at level 50. Without a dedicated guild to outright carry you through the most recent Op for the top-tier gear, you'd have to crawl through each and every one along the way, gearing up until you were ready for the next -- at which point you repeat the process.

There are easy remedies for getting people geared for current content without raising the level cap.

Question about the part in bold: isn't this game different? The drumbeat on this forum for the last few months has been that this game is all about the story, with a not at all subtle suggestion that there was something wrong with you if you saw it otherwise. Can't they just add content for the sake of the story and expect people to dive right in?

It adds a grind with reward. If they just keep adding content, it's just added grind or alternative grind and no real reward.

Also, are you still playing DAoC?

A grind with "reward" is still a grind. And no, I dont play DoaC anymore. I got tired of the endless CC in PvP. Standing around immobilised from mutiple CCs with short cooldowns and no immunities waiting to get helplessly killed dos'nt appeal to me, and that's what DoaC RvR turned into, thanks to EA. That was/is my only problem with DoaC. The content overall was great WITHOUT RAISING THE LEVEL CAP!

Edited by ReddNekk

Hello,

soooo, grinding for end game gear is boring to you. . .but you dont wanna see them increase the level cap. . .which would get you away from that, and back to leveling again

sounds like a win/win scenario for you

buuut, what you're doing now is not a waste. you'll need it in order to complete the new content most likely. and if not it'll make your leveling process from 50-55 that much easier.

Um considering they had very little end game o choose from at 50 is raising the cap wise ? I mean if they have a bunch of new content then ok thats good, but if its like 1 more WZ, 1 more FP, and 1 more OP then they may as well just throw the game in the dumpster.

It appears everything is a grind to some people. Endgame ops? That's a grind for gear. PVP? That's a grind for gear and valor. Dailies? That's a grind for cash.

So more fresh story and leveling content is ALSO a grind? If so. what DON'T you consider a grind? The only thing left would be world PVP I guess, and some kind of ever-changing dynamic flashpoint/ops mechanic. Both would be awesome to see more of, but that's not the point.

The point is, how can you consider a raised level cap a grind in liu of gearing up?

I mean, I'm a little frustrated about the cap increase for my own reasons, but it's just not in the same dept. as repeating the same stuff over and over for credits or gear.