Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Great news! Really looking forward to this new feature. I am happy with the way that you guys outlined this process. Clearly identifing that Legacy name will need to be re-generated. It also looks like the server transfers will be to the same server class. Great strategy! Too bad about the guild transfer being a little "bumpy". At least you have a system in place to manage these transfers.

All in all this update is looking awsome! Keep up the good work BioWare!:D

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On behalf of the Conquerors of Chaos guild on Tarro Blood, it would be helpful to know if we are one of the scheduled relocation servers, as we have a large number of guild members to coordinate regarding a move in order to ensure that our guild winds up on one server. We are most concerned with the fact that the destination servers will be changing based on availability, and do not wish for our membership to be spread across various servers.

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Thank you BioWare, there is hope for ToR after all. People seem to forget how bad WoW was for the first two years and didn't actually begin to pick up population until well into BC.

I don't know where you get that I'm "bent on complaining at any sort of fee" because I've only lamented one. This one. Hypothetical for you:

I paid $60 for a box and $75 for five months of play. I've been active in the game, but the population on my server has declined rapidly as subscriptions dropped off. My in-game experience is very much suffering because of this. As it turns out, some of the most populated servers in the game--the servers people rushed to in the face of the population decline--happen to be cross-typed to my own. Despite that those other servers (PvE) aren't of the same type as my home server (PvP), I rolled characters on one because the added population made my own play style significantly more enjoyable--just because of the booming population. Now on this new server I'm finding groups easier, queues are much shorter, and I'm just generally happier as I wait for the opportunity to move the rest of my leveled toons over.

The population woes are not my fault. My home server was rated "Heavy" during early access. There was no indication that I would someday suffer my way through population decline to the levels the game is currently facing.

Given all of this, am I supposed to be happy that I can't do this type of transfer? Am I supposed to be excited for an uncertain future where I might be allowed to make this cross-type transfer or that I may be charged for the privilege? Am I supposed to be pleased that the effort I spent on my new characters, which are considerably lower-leveled and geared than my original toons, was for naught?

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the situation you find yourself in; as you may note, I am equally screwed by the current likely initial wave. I am just.. I guess surprised that you are jumping to the conclusion that a) PvP<->PvE is impossible (note they said you won't be forced to change, not that you can't change), b) that it won't ever be free at some point to move your chars back to PvP or around again, and c) that that specifically they'd charge for.

They are certainly going to charge for some aspect of transfers in the future. I guess all I'm suggesting is holding off on the complaining (not the constructive feedback though, they need to see what situations people are in) until it's actually stated there's a charge.

Consider: you may find that your lonesome PvP char is able to transfer for free to a PvP server that has a high population. That doesn't help your other PvE chars, I agree, but it would certainly be a start, no?

Who is to say that Bioware won't read this thread and go 'holy smokes there's a lot of players who want to consolidate their characters, maybe our second free wave should be for those players'?

Edited by Grammarye

Hello all,

We had to remove several posts from the thread that had derailed the discussion. Please make sure that your posts are on topic, respectful and constructive.

If you find that there is someone you do not get along with, or whose posts you do not like seeing, please put them on your ignore list.

My question that i Hope gets answered

Why the Barrier on PVP to PVE or Vice versa ?

I have read and listened to numerous pieces of information from people within BW stating you wanted the transfers to enable people to play with friends and on higer population, yet what you announce is not in accordance with what you said for some of the community, if paid transfers are coming, when ? and will you EVER allow cross format transfers or are my 2 level 50's i have consigned to the waste after investing numerous hours since early access ?

Many servers are ghost towns..at some point BW will need to start consolidating servers, shutting ones down that have exteremly low population..at some point BW is going to have to force character transfers...or have characters deleted

QFT.

I'd support and encourage Bioware to do one of the two. Not like they'd listen to just one random forum poster, but my comments still stand...

A.) Handle the merge yourself, Bioware. Coordinate everything without us running around trying to guess. Do this by asking every person to answer a new question in their profile. The question: do you want to be on a high pop or low pop server? If they don't choose to answer it they automatically get routed to a high pop server. And in this process, let everyone keep their character and legacy names. Account names are already unique, so distinguish duplicates by the account name for people adding friends, messaging others, etc. Choose the most popular/favored server names and shuffle everyone around as needed to ensure both high pop and low pop experiences.

~or~

B.) Do what CCP did with EVE Online and change your network to run everyone on one huge server cluster. The processing and memory load for different planets, areas, and instances could be shuffled around the cluster as needed. CCP was able to do it, even though it was very expensive and time consuming. Then for duplicate names: based upon character registration date, let those who registered their names first keep them, while others forced to change them. Only way to keep the name reservation fair if you plan on sticking to that.

I doubt they'd do either of these since it involves more effort and money, so I absolutely expect TOR servers to bleed subscriptions over time until a real solution is discovered.

"...In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available)..."

Specific to the information provided above, can someone explain this because I am a bit confused.

Who is to say that Bioware won't read this thread and go 'holy smokes there's a lot of players who want to consolidate their characters, maybe our second free wave should be for those players'?

The hope that this is the case is precisely why I continue to post complaints and criticisms and support those that do, while at the same time lampooning those that consistently try to silence those that do. ;)

This is great and all but I just don't understand why we can't go from PvE to PvP?? Granted it was my fault for making a toon on a PvE server (which I only did for my guild, that is now dead) but god dammit the PvP blows, leme go to a better server PLEASEEE!!

Question:

My main toon is on a low populated EU server, 'Rogue Moon'.

I rerolled on highly populated 'The Red Eclipse' EU server.

I've yet to achieve Legacy on both servers. Will I be able to move my main toon to The Red Eclipse or should I just delete him?

In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available)

So, lemme see if I get this right. If I move a character from my home server to a destination server, in which I already have a Legacy on, I don't get the option to rename my Legacy at all, and am defaulted to the Legacy name I have on the destination server?

If so, kind of a bummer.

"...In the case of Legacy names, unless you have unlocked your Legacy on your destination server, you will need to rename your Legacy upon transfer (although you may pick the same Legacy name as on your origin server, if available)..."

Specific to the information provided above, can someone explain this because I am a bit confused.

Sure :) It means if you're part of the Banana legacy on your server, and you transfer your main to Jedi Covenant, all your toons on Jedi Covenant will become part of your Banana legacy (assuming that legacy is higher than the ones on Jedi Covenant). If there is already a Banana legacy on Jedi Covenant that belongs to another player, you will need to choose a different legacy name.

Whilst it doesn't directly affect me, the description of how to transfer a guild does sound... awkward. I can see that yielding a lot of pain & CS tickets as it stands. Surely the entity can be transferred (and players left find themselves guild-less) rather than vanishing & reformation?

The hope that this is the case is precisely why I continue to post complaints and criticisms and support those that do, while at the same time lampooning those that consistently try to silence those that do. ;)

Perhaps merely I took issue with the phrasing e.g. 'money grab' :) Absolutely Bioware need to understand players' situations.

As mine has no doubt been lost somewhere around page 4, I would be quite keen to consolidate the characters I have across two servers.

This is great and all but I just don't understand why we can't go from PvE to PvP?? Granted it was my fault for making a toon on a PvE server (which I only did for my guild, that is now dead) but god dammit the PvP blows, leme go to a better server PLEASEEE!!

I agree...they really need to allow this to happen, ESPECIALLY given the length of time it took for transfers and the severity of the drop in populations. Players were essentially forced to reroll alts to get any enjoyment. For what people have paid in sub fees, some leniency should be given.

Sure :) It means if you're part of the Banana legacy on your server, and you transfer your main to Jedi Covenant, all your toons on Jedi Covenant will become part of your Banana legacy (assuming that legacy is higher than the ones on Jedi Covenant). If there is already a Banana legacy on Jedi Covenant that belongs to another player, you will need to choose a different legacy name.

banana legacy lol, nice random server name you chose as well :p

My question that i Hope gets answered

Why the Barrier on PVP to PVE or Vice versa ?

I have read and listened to numerous pieces of information from people within BW stating you wanted the transfers to enable people to play with friends and on higer population, yet what you announce is not in accordance with what you said for some of the community, if paid transfers are coming, when ? and will you EVER allow cross format transfers or are my 2 level 50's i have consigned to the waste after investing numerous hours since early access ?

I think this is a pretty good start in the right direction. Your friends will have to transfer the same server as you, really is that such a big deal? They didn't say PVP can't go to PVE or vice versa. They said they won't force you to change your server format. Honestly wait tell the server transfer begins before finding fault in the process. With millions of situations that could go wrong these people can only do so much, to make sure the game play experience is not impeeded in anyway. Seriously people need to stop poo-pooing themselves before the fun starts.;)

Basically this is saying the following:

Say your main ghost town server is A and the new server you want to go to is B.

You have NO ONE on server B, so you bring all your toons from A to B. Now, your Legacy name is Kitten on server A. When you transfer to server B, your Legacy goes with you.

Okay, once you hit server B, you have to rename your Legacy. It still has all your bells and whistles, but you have to rename your Legacy because you lost your name.

IF no one chooses Kitten on server B, you can name your Legacy Kitten again.

Does this make sense?

I am happily surprised by this announcement and with how soon the transfer process will be available! Thank you.

I want to "me too" some of the concerns already brought up:

1. When do we get to see the origin and destination servers? This is key for doing research and planning. If the list comes out the day that transfers are available, people who work or are at school during the day are at a big disadvantage compared to those bums who are sitting around playing games! (Yeah, I'm jealous, so what? :p )

2. Is there any way to see character, legacy and guild names already used on a server? This is a critical piece of the research for planning.

3. Don't close moves from destination servers from origin server any time soon. If some of our guild members come back to play they should be able to transfer to us, otherwise they may not re-subscribe.

I have other worries but overall I'm excited this is going to happen. I look forward to seeing more non-light servers.