The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Price of New Expansion Pack

Enderet

Ok I got up to page 10 reading every post on this thread. I realize that threads like this are good for information that Bioware can take into consideration, but I have seen way to much hate thrown around on here. Look, this is Bioware we are talking about. As far as i'm concerned Bioware are RPG gods. No one does rpgs better than them. I say live and let live. If it's free cool, if it's not I'll pay for it if I can afford it. I like SWTOR and am willing to pay for extra content. I think everyone just needs to relax. Bioware hasn't had a single bad game in about 20 years. I trust them to do what they feel is necessary. I think we should all just play the game, enjoy what we have for now, then when then just see what happens when the content comes out.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HOPE to god that they dont do expansion packs.

As far as I'm Concerned, I paid 100 dollars for this game in australia

i'm also paying an ongoing monthly subscription

IT IS THERE JOB to keep me interested in this game by providing more content, otherwise

i just end my subscription.

Screw paying for expansion packs. If i could play this game without a subscription I would happily pay for an expansion pack, but my ongoing subscription should be sufficient. Dont get greedy bioware!

Ok I got up to page 10 reading every post on this thread. I realize that threads like this are good for information that Bioware can take into consideration, but I have seen way to much hate thrown around on here. Look, this is Bioware we are talking about. As far as i'm concerned Bioware are RPG gods. No one does rpgs better than them. I say live and let live. If it's free cool, if it's not I'll pay for it if I can afford it. I like SWTOR and am willing to pay for extra content. I think everyone just needs to relax. Bioware hasn't had a single bad game in about 20 years. I trust them to do what they feel is necessary. I think we should all just play the game, enjoy what we have for now, then when then just see what happens when the content comes out.

No, We pay a subscription it is there job to supply free content!

I HOPE to god that they dont do expansion packs.

As far as I'm Concerned, I paid 100 dollars for this game in australia

i'm also paying an ongoing monthly subscription

IT IS THERE JOB to keep me interested in this game by providing more content, otherwise

i just end my subscription.

Screw paying for expansion packs. If i could play this game without a subscription I would happily pay for an expansion pack, but my ongoing subscription should be sufficient. Dont get greedy bioware!

This is like golf. You buy the clubs (the retail box,) you pay the greens fees (the subscription,) and if you want more, you pay more. They don't build new golf courses based on existing greens fees. They do it by seeking more up-front month and loans. Or in this case, by recouping costs with the some of the retail income.

Subscriptions keep the grass cut, they don't build massive new systems, beyond a slow maintenance level flow.

The classic subscription model, as a sole means to support an MMORPG, is dead. Only the fluke beast of WoW and niche games can manage it. Mainstream, mass market, retail games like this need more than just a box and a set fee each month. Most folks won't even bother paying all year anyway, so there has to be something more.

In any case, I paid for the CE, haven't regretted it. I have fun in-game. But then I paid $69 for LOTROs high-end expansion for this September. I've bought every collectors and high-end offer sold for LOTRO so far.

I welcome more chances to invest in my choosen online hobby.

They made some surveys how much people would pay for the stuff, so I am pretty sure they would like to charge something for that stuff.

the survey made no sense. It was offering $10 for all the content + 90 days free game time. They would lose money by doing that.

If thats the case why not give the content out for free?

the survey made no sense. It was offering $10 for all the content + 90 days free game time. They would lose money by doing that.

If thats the case why not give the content out for free?

The survey had many different packages, not just that one. But since EA/BioWare is already thinking about going f2p, this would just be the first step into that direction. They had given some of us already re free month, to keep us playing. I guess the subs have dropped since last time we got any numbers, and i doubt patch 1.3 will change much on that. So, by givin a minor expansion with 90 days game time, would mean they can claim for that time people playing the game (and I think it might actually work, because some would return to try that out).

The survey had many different packages, not just that one. But since EA/BioWare is already thinking about going f2p, this would just be the first step into that direction. They had given some of us already re free month, to keep us playing. I guess the subs have dropped since last time we got any numbers, and i doubt patch 1.3 will change much on that. So, by givin a minor expansion with 90 days game time, would mean they can claim for that time people playing the game (and I think it might actually work, because some would return to try that out).

facepalm... no you still don't get it. Not to mention they have already said the planet Makeb and the extra levels would be free and given in regular updates.

Has Bioware even mentioned an expansion anytime soon?

I imagine the first expansion pack would be in 2013, unless they are planning on rushing it which, in my opinion, is a very bad mistake considering how the expansion may have the potential to save the game if they introduce enough content.

Personally, I'd like to see more social content like cantinas where you can do things, pod racing, parties and decorating your ship... stuff like that would really pull this game up (for me anyway).

no charge! free! nadda! nothing

our 15 month sub fee will be all we are going to pay for this game. That's how they have wanted to do it from the beginning. 15 dollars a month from a mill + people is MORE than enough to fund this game for new content. James Ohlen has even said they know we are already paying a fee a month so every content update is going to be free all the time as well as probably the expansions to. I know...too good to be true right? Well it's not. It's true. 15 dollars a month for everything :) enjoy

Guess I have missed that, would you be so kind and provide a link to where I can find that it will be free?

http://torwars.com/2012/06/11/video-interview-with-james-ohlen-at-e3/

and part 2 where he mentions this will be the largest amount of content any mmo has ever given away for free in one update

you're welcome

Edited by jarjarloves

Now, I didn't read all the pages in this thread so if it's been said, I apologize for it.

This, what you are talking about, is just an update that has a lot of stuff in it. If they were to charge for this, I think it would be a disaster and the game would never recover. Now, if they release an expansion to the game, it would be completely different. An expansion woul have 10 new worlds at least with class quests and world quests, plus it would continue on with the story.

This game is called Star Wars The Old Republic, an expansion would be titled Star Wars The Old Republic - The Universe At War or something along those lines.

I don't see a new expansion coming out until this game has been out for a year.

Just my opinion.

http://torwars.com/2012/06/11/video-interview-with-james-ohlen-at-e3/

and part 2 where he mentions this will be the largest amount of content any mmo has ever given away for free in one update

you're welcome

Watched it, he never said there it will be free, one can assume that, but it is not said that clear there. When he says that is the largest content for something that isn't a expansion pack, it could be taken that he means with expansion pack something one has to buy in a box. And even if the new content will be free, BioWare had clearly thought about charging us for it (that's why they had made these surveys in the past).

Sigh... again, BW stated prelaunch that they didnt INTENDED to charge extra bucks for expansions, cause plain and simple they will never make expansions per say.

BW will add their content through content patches like what weve been seeing so far: i.e 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and so on.

At least that was their initial design, so pls stop especulating with something that if its coming (i aint referring to the extra world and level cap increase that one will be a normal content patch) is still in a galaxy far far away.

Stop making WoW analogies to SWTOR please. Just because Blizz and every other MMO outthere in the past charged us for expansion packs it doesnt mean that BW will follow the same philosophy and in fact like i said above they did said exactly the opposite in the prelaunch of the game.

But even IF they do follow the same path, ill gladly pay for it like ive been paying for expansions for the last 10 years.

Not seeing the big fuss over this to be perfectly honest.

Edited by Kophar

I would only pay $9.99, but nowhere near the normal $40 for a typical expansion pack.

I'd pay ten bucks just to read all the drama you people make up on a daily basis.

Lets all worry about the theoretic cost of a free expansion. ;p

Watched it, he never said there it will be free, one can assume that, but it is not said that clear there. When he says that is the largest content for something that isn't a expansion pack, it could be taken that he means with expansion pack something one has to buy in a box. And even if the new content will be free, BioWare had clearly thought about charging us for it (that's why they had made these surveys in the past).

holy crap did you even watch it??

He says it is coming out in a future update. You are really stretching here. It's coming out as a free content update live with it. The survay you mention also gave you 90 days for 9.99 which makes no sense and gave you a free ewok??

I'm not really interested in an expansion any time soon because there needs to be more to do at the current endgame. With that said the content update has everything that an expansion would hve:

New Planet/Region

New Space MIssion (most games don't have a seperate combat engine)

New Warzone

New Abilities

Increased Level Cap

New Class Story (other games don't have this)

New Companion (Other games don't have this)

New Operation/Raid

I'm not sure why people are saying this isn't as big as any other expansion. This is exactly as big as any other game's expansion. Remember that these are the major features, they obviously aren't telling us about the smaller features yet, they haven't even announced it as an expansion.

I'm not really interested in an expansion any time soon because there needs to be more to do at the current endgame. With that said the content update has everything that an expansion would hve:

New Planet/Region

New Space MIssion (most games don't have a seperate combat engine)

New Warzone

New Abilities

Increased Level Cap

New Class Story (other games don't have this)

New Companion (Other games don't have this)

New Operation/Raid

I'm not sure why people are saying this isn't as big as any other expansion. This is exactly as big as any other game's expansion. Remember that these are the major features, they obviously aren't telling us about the smaller features yet, they haven't even announced it as an expansion.

they have specifically said it is NOT an expansion and will just be in future content updates. They said ti will be the most any MMO has ever received in a free content update.

All of the lvl cap and other stuff amounts too, is finishing the game. In fact the entire first year or so amounts to resetting and figuring out how to get things right.

As for space? Space in SWTOR is like the guy playing Galaga in The Avengers. You see it, you laugh, you move-on, because it is a joke.